Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah this is definitely a "we just got millions of people to look at the word "Pepsi" and our new logo twenty times in a row" sort of deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

You have to write a big old document to justify the price of millions of dollars, even if nobody involved is ever gonna read it seriously.

Design docs are universally nonsensical blathering about AESTHETICS that don't bear closer inspection

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/DorsaAmir/status/1246077693889851392

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
My buddy made https://www.howmanybenghazis.com

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

This is amazing.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

what's the conversion rate for deaths to benghazis, rip vilerat

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Soricidus posted:

Do either the people who make this bullshit or the people who buy it think it’s somehow worth the money, or is it just rich people doing a bit of wealth redistribution among themselves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibapYsc01KM

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Your buddy needs to fix the certificate on their website.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5FGuBatbTg

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

hooah posted:

Your buddy needs to fix the certificate on their website.

yea im not gonna truck with that

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

:drat:

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Hah, just saw that elsewhere and came here to post it. It's just so breathtakingly fucky.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I don't understand how that happens by mistake or why it would happen on purpose. That y-axis is hosed beyond belief and I don't know how someone would even do that. The overall trend is basically the same compared to a normal graph, so it's not like there's really any deception happening. Baffling.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

No graph happens by mistake. It is always at least a bad choice

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

KennyMan666 posted:

Hah, just saw that elsewhere and came here to post it. It's just so breathtakingly fucky.

The only "reasonable" explanation that comes to my mind is that someone had a graph with no scale for the y-axis, then they just improvised the labels based on the numbers close to the lines and didn't give it a second thought.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Look at the real graph versus the fudged one. The fudged one appears to be trending downward. I'd bet that's 100% of it, the fake graph makes it seem under control.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Plastik posted:

Look at the real graph versus the fudged one. The fudged one appears to be trending downward. I'd bet that's 100% of it, the fake graph makes it seem under control.

I tried to (poorly) superpose the graphs so that the first and last points align and the perspective matches (I couldn't get it to match perfectly but :effort:). Draw your own conclusions, but to me it looks like if the intent was to manipulate the appearance for political reasons then they didn't do well. Hanlon's razor seems apt here.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
If it was any other organisation than Fox, I might agree with you.

EDIT: And never forget

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 12:38 on Apr 4, 2020

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Megillah Gorilla posted:

what the actual gently caress

what, and I cannot stress this enough, the gently caress

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

OK so this is not really an awful graph, rather it's quite well thought out. Note the log scale on the Y axis. The X axis starts at the day of death number ten in the country. I think they're getting their numbers from Johns Hopkins.

https://www.svt.se/datajournalistik/har-sprider-sig-coronaviruset/

I'm sure y'all can figure out the country names from Swedish, they're rather similar apart from "Tyskland" which means Germany and "Storbritannien" which is the UK. No idea why China is not on here.

What strikes me about it is the slope of that US curve. That is NOT a slowing down, that is an increase and it's extremely more steep than the two worst-hit countries, Spain and Italy. I really hope this will not continue to look like a straight line when plotted on a log scale!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

If it was any other organisation than Fox, I might agree with you.

A local FOX station is not related to FOX News.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Does anyone have coronavirus deaths per capita in a chart? Like even with a perfect response countries like the USA and China are going to blow everyone else out in deaths just because of population size (lol at the idea of the US responding effectively), but per capita could be really interesting.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

ranbo das posted:

Does anyone have coronavirus deaths per capita in a chart? Like even with a perfect response countries like the USA and China are going to blow everyone else out in deaths just because of population size (lol at the idea of the US responding effectively), but per capita could be really interesting.

This one has cases, deaths, and tests per million.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

ranbo das posted:

Bingo!

(From the same site. This is deaths per millions residents. Note the scale is now linear.)
No longer looks that bad for the old U.S. of A. Though I do feel that starting the X axis at 10 deaths is not really the best choice since clearly the US had a lot of imported cases with limited domestic spread in the first 2-3 weeks. The purpose of the graph seems to be to superimpose the curves on top of each other and that's just not happening here.

I guess at least everyone in U.S, German or Danish self-isolation can be justified in feeling that they are effectively helping slow the spread. Sweden's non-isolation, a bit less so, and Great Britian is not looking too good either.
Spain and Italy had just gone too far before they started quarantining cities, it's gonna get worse before it gets better, there.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

"Don't be killed". Useful advice, indeed.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

(From the same site. This is deaths per millions residents. Note the scale is now linear.)
No longer looks that bad for the old U.S. of A.
All you're seeing is that the USA still has a plentiful reserve of people who have not yet died from this. If that was what you were hoping to see, then ok.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Stoatbringer posted:

"Don't be killed". Useful advice, indeed.

I already failed the don't be penetrated part so I guess I'm just hosed (haha)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ranbo das posted:

India has entered the game.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Bingo!

No longer looks that bad for the old U.S. of A. Though I do feel that starting the X axis at 10 deaths is not really the best choice since clearly the US had a lot of imported cases with limited domestic spread in the first 2-3 weeks. The purpose of the graph seems to be to superimpose the curves on top of each other and that's just not happening here.

I guess at least everyone in U.S, German or Danish self-isolation can be justified in feeling that they are effectively helping slow the spread. Sweden's non-isolation, a bit less so, and Great Britian is not looking too good either.
Spain and Italy had just gone too far before they started quarantining cities, it's gonna get worse before it gets better, there.

I feel like it would be more useful to look at this on a per-state level. The US is really, really big compared to Italy, and there's lots of areas that have barely been touched so far. That drags the per-capita way down. Tomorrow I'll see if I can find the data for New York and see how that compares.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Bingo!

You also need to understand how reporting and testing work. If I remember right, and I haven't been following it too closely, but I think the US had some issues with testing. Reporting standards are fine in the US, but you don't have cases to report if you're not testing enough people. Assume that there are more cases/deaths when testing sucks or reporting sucks.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Platystemon posted:

India has entered the game.

They'll never top the charts because they can't keep score.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

Karia posted:

I feel like it would be more useful to look at this on a per-state level. The US is really, really big compared to Italy, and there's lots of areas that have barely been touched so far. That drags the per-capita way down. Tomorrow I'll see if I can find the data for New York and see how that compares.

Yeah, I think New York is probably going to overtake the whole of the UK at the current rate.

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013

Mauser posted:

You also need to understand how reporting and testing work. If I remember right, and I haven't been following it too closely, but I think the US had some issues with testing. Reporting standards are fine in the US, but you don't have cases to report if you're not testing enough people. Assume that there are more cases/deaths when testing sucks or reporting sucks.

That's why these charts look at deaths rather than cases as testing for hospitalized patients is likely to be more consistent.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Are deaths measured the same way everywhere?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sentient Data posted:

Are deaths measured the same way everywhere?

No.

It’s a less worthless statistic than confirmed cases, but it’s getting worse.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Every primer article I've seen on how to read corona graphs has been stressing how the only vaguely reliably comparable metric is the death growth rate. Ie. number of new deaths doubles in three days here, five days there.

E: current table of those here

Flipperwaldt has a new favorite as of 13:41 on Apr 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Karia posted:

I added New York City, Washington State, King County WA, and Lombardy, Italy to the chart. Population density is very important to look at: 74% of the cases in Washington are in King County, with only 30% of the population. Lombardy province in Italy (where Milan is) is only 1/6th of the population, but has 56% of the deaths. FYI, that little flattening right at the end of my values isn't real, that's just because the data isn't up to date. The last few days are almost certainly under-reported for all the data I have, and I have no idea how accurate the reporting is, especially in Italy.

Obviously this same statement applies to other countries: I'm not trying to suggest that you can directly compare the curves for a purely urban area, like NYC, and a full country, which has a mixture of urban and rural areas. The takeaway I see is: given how concentrated cases are in more populated areas, comparing entire countries is in and of itself pretty meaningless.

The other takeaway is that NYC is in serious, serious trouble. You see how Lombardy pretty closely tracks NYC, and just keeps going up? It doesn't stop. As of yesterday, Lombardy was at 862 deaths per million, and there's no signs of stopping. I'll work on an exponential breakdown to try to evaluate the doubling rate.

Sources:
https://www.doh.wa.gov/emergencies/coronavirus
https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/covid/covid-19-data.page
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coronavirus_pandemic_in_Italy#By_region