Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

A boy named Monkey D. Luffy, inspired by his childhood hero "Red-Haired" Shanks, sets out on a journey to find One Piece, the legendary treasure of the King of the Pirates, Gol D. Roger. To accomplish this, he must reach the end of the most deadly and dangerous ocean: The Grand Line.

Luffy captains the Straw Hat Pirates first through the sea of East Blue and then through the Grand Line. He follows the path of the deceased King of the Pirates, Gold Roger, from island to island on his way to the great treasure One Piece. On his way, his crew grows to have a swordsman, "Pirate Hunter" Zoro; a navigator, "Cat Burglar" Nami; a sharpshooter, "Sogeking" Usopp; a cook, "Black Leg" Sanji; a doctor, "Cotton Candy Lover" Tony Tony Chopper; an archaeologist, "Demon Child" Nico Robin; a shipwright, "Cyborg" Franky; a musician, "Just Dead Bones" Brook; and a helmsman, “Knight of the Sea” Jimbei.

During the course of the story, the crew contends with other pirate crews, the Royal Seven Warlords of the Sea (Ouka Shichibukai) and the Marines. The latter are the subordinates of the corrupt World Government, who apparently seek justice by ending the Golden Age of Pirates. Many background story elements involve the delicate balance of power between the World Government and the world's most powerful pirate crews, especially the Four Emperors, the four most powerful pirates in the world.

Read more about the Straw Hat Pirates here and here !

Companion Threads
-One Piece Manga Discussion 1
-One Piece Manga Discussion 2
-One Piece Manga Discussion 3
-One Piece Manga Discussion 4
-One Piece Manga Discussion 5
-One Piece Manga Discussion 6
-One Piece Manga Discussion 7
-One Piece Manga Discussion 8
-One Piece Manga Discussion 9
-One Piece Manga Discussion 9
-One Piece Manga Discussion 10
-One Piece Manga Discussion 11
-One Piece Manga Discussion 12
-One Piece Manga Discussion 13

Useful Links
-One Piece Wikia
-One Piece on Wikipedia
-The Grand Line
-Library of Ohara
-Library of Ohara - One Piece Timeline
-Library of Ohara - SBS Question Corner
-Library of Ohara - Chapter Secrets
-Library of Ohara - Sword Encyclopedia
-One Piece Interactive Map
-Devil Fruits Listing (Not comprehensive)

Where to read One Piece online
Official Releases
-Shueisha MangaPlus
-VIZ

Unofficial Releases
These are usually unofficial fan scanlations that will appear online several days before the official release and are usually hosted on imgur or other file-hosting sites.

Spoiler Policy
Because the unofficial releases come out before the official ones, any discussion about the upcoming chapter must be spoiler tagged before the official English translation comes out!

Cover story chapters
-Buggy's Crew: After the Battle!: Chapters 35-75
-Coby and Helmeppo's Chronicle of Toil: Chapter 83-119
-Jango's Dance Paradise: Chapters 126-172
-Hatchan's Sea-Floor Stroll: Chapters 182-228
-Wapol's Omnivorous Hurrah: Chapters 236-262
-Ace's Great Blackbeard Search: Chapters 272-305
-Gedatsu's Accidental Blue-Sea Life: Chapters 314-348
-Miss Goldenweek's "Operation: Meet Baroque Works": Chapters 359-413
-Eneru's Great Space Operations: Chapters 424-474
-CP9's Independent Report: Chapters 491-528
-Sanji's "Resisting in Kamabakka Hell": Chapters 543-544
-Robin's "How Terrible You People Are": Chapters 545-546
-Franky's "This Week Is No Good": Chapters 548-549
-Usopp's "I'll-Die-If-I'm-On-My-Own Disease": Chapters 550-551
-Chopper's "I'm Not Food You Assholes": Chapters 552, 554
-Nami's "Weather Report": Chapters 555-556
-Brook's "Lodgings and Panties Repayment": Chapters 557-558
-Zoro's "Where the Hell Are They? What a Pain in the rear end": Chapters 559-560
-From the Decks of the World: Chapters 613-668
-Caribou's Kehihihihi in the New World: Chapters 674-679
-Solo Journey of Jinbe, Knight of the Sea Covers: Chapters 751-785
-From the Decks of the World: The 500,000,000 Man Arc: Chapters 805-838
-The Stories of the Self-Proclaimed Straw Hat Grand Fleet: Chapters 864-919
-“Gang" Bege's Oh My Family: Chapters 948-ongoing

SBS OPEN!!!

SBS (Shitsumon o Boshū Suru or “I’m Taking Questions") is a Q&A section at the end of most chapters which answers the questions that fans send in and sometimes providing even more information about One Piece and its world. You can read some interesting snippets below:

======================================================================================

D: Question, Odacchi! Ace ate the Mera Mera Fruit so he can...

(1) "Can turn his body into flame"?

(2) "Can shoot flame from his body", which one is it?

O: The answer is (1). But his secret move "Hiken" (Fire Punch) is a skill where he raises his "firepower" and turns his fist into a huge flame, so it ends up looking more like (2).

======================================================================================

D: Oda-sensei, I was curious; Is Foxy the Silver Fox's Noro Noro power a Logia type, Paramecia type, or Zoan type? I'll be too anxious for your reply to use the bathroom, so hurry it up.

O: It's a Paramecia (superhuman) type. Logia (nature) type can turn their bodies into something completely different. Zoan (animal) type can turn into animals. Everything aside from those is lumped into the Paramecia (superhuman) category. However, there are some Paramecia who can change their own bodies, as well.

D: Odacchi! Here's a question for you! Crocodile can't fight water because he's "sand," right? Then how does he bathe?! Does he at all?! That's filthy!! Do you bathe, Odacchi? by Crocodile's Mother ❤

O: First of all, let's discuss the problem of Devil Powered folks bathing themselves. People who eat Devil Fruit are "hated" by the sea, and cannot swim. The "sea" here can refer to anything from rivers, pools and baths to any kind of standing water. On a worldwide level, they are all the "sea." When these people enter the water, not only can they not use their powers, they have trouble moving their bodies at all. They might be able to struggle a bit, but it wouldn't do much good. That's if their entire bodies are submerged in the "sea." With less than half the body or just the limbs, it gets easier. Also, rain and dripping water have no effect at all. Therefore, hip baths or showers are the most common choice. Now, in Crocodile's case, "water" is the weakness of his very powers, so his abilities are robbed even in the shower. But it's not like there are enemies around when you take a shower, so I'd bet he would take them even with his powers being blocked. Don't you think? ---And to answer your final question, about myself bathing. As it happens, I do bathe. Twice! In a year! See you next volume!

D: Which is faster, between Captain Kuro's "Shakushi" and CP9's "Soru"? TELL ME. by Niku-oh

O: Ah yes. I got a surprising number of questions about this one. Captain Kuro's Shakushi (in Vol. 5) was a pretty tough one. To answer the question, speedwise they are about the same. But when Captain Kuro uses his trick, the speed is so great that he doesn't even know who he's attacking, but CP9 has complete control of their move at the same speed. So if there were a competition, CP9 would be overwhelmingly stronger.

D: Do the names of Sodom and Gomorrah come from the cities that appear in the Old Testament of the bible? In the bible they were destroyed by God. Are they being integrated into the story by being destroyed by the great "Godly" power of the World Government? by Yoiko

O: Uh... One Piece isn't that deep of a story. But it IS where I got the names from.

D: Hey, Odacchi! I got a question! About Devil Fruit!! If Kaku and Califa said they wouldn't know what their Devil Fruit were until they ate it, how come Shanks knew what Luffy's Gomu Gomu Fruit was before he ate it?? Tell me! Tell me now!! Pleeeease tell me!!! P.N. Shirogitsunekko

O: Well, I think I'll eventually get to explaining more about the Devil Fruit in the main story, but you see, there's a book of the Devil Fruit. It has info about all kinds of fruit names and abilities, but few of the fruit can actually be identified by their shape. In the case of the Gomu Gomu Fruit, there was a picture and everything, but for Kaku and Califa, they were talking about how they wouldn't know until they had finally eaten the fruit.

D: Mr. 4's gun "Lassoo" had the "Inu Inu Fruit, Model Dachshund." CP9's Jabura had the "Inu Inu Fruit, Model Wolf." So the Devil Fruits don't have the same type twice, but they CAN have different models? P.N. Hito Hito Fruit, Model Beautiful Girl;

O: In the case of Zoan-types, a different "model" is basically a different fruit. Just like those Inu Inu Fruit examples, there's also the Ushi Ushi Fruit Model Bison (Dalton) and Model Giraffe (Kaku). Just think of them as entirely different fruits.

D: Excuse me!! May I pose a serious question to the typically-vulgar SBS?? In Volume 46, Usopp said that the same power doesn't exist twice. But this doesn't make sense with what you said in the Volume 45 SBS... If the Gomu Gomu Fruit was in a book of fruits, then Luffy HAD to have eaten at least the SECOND known example of the fruit! Now, most beautiful and intelligent Ei-chan, explain it all! ; P.N. Takafi

O: Very sharp of you. But I'm cool. I haven't made any mistakes. As a hint, let me rephrase what Usopp is saying. "The same powers don't exist twice AT THE SAME TIME." How's that? For more detail, you'll just have to wait for a certain professor to make his appearance in the story, and explain exactly what the Devil Fruits REALLY are... Eventually.

SBS CLOSE!!!
You can read more SBS entries here.

** One Class - A Revolution! **

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh thank God finally a new One Piece thread.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Thanks for the new OP alkanphel. You rule.

And I just want to reiterate again that there is a new official spoiler policy. Use spoiler tags for discussion of the latest chapter before the official English translation release.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

One Piece is amazing.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
One Piece, you guys

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Could be useful for seizing the means of production.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
big hat

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Can't believe Luffy was the traitor, it's the one twist we never saw coming.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Julias posted:

Thanks for the new OP alkanphel. You rule.

No problem! It was very appropriate with the latest chapter.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Can't believe Luffy was the traitor, it's the one twist we never saw coming.

the real traitor was the nakama we made along the way

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
ground floor for imo the final one piece thread

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

scary ghost dog posted:

ground floor for imo the final one piece thread

:kiddo:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Man seeing that Enelface supercut on the 1st page takes me back.

Bye old thread

Pureauthor fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 20, 2020

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
Lol if you think this is gonna be the final thread (oh god it is isnt it :()

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

we are

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Big Hat here we go.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

AkumaHokoru posted:

Lol if you think this is gonna be the final thread (oh god it is isnt it :()

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

We're going to be posting about One Piece for the rest of our natural born days.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Yo I tried to read that boichi cover of Zoro vs Mihawk and it was the worst garbage ever

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Probably not enough wall-eyed blondes to take advantage of his full power.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Rody One Half posted:

Yo I tried to read that boichi cover of Zoro vs Mihawk and it was the worst garbage ever

Mihawk translated bery well to Boichis style.
Everyone else not at all.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Big Hat

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

This is the thread where we will learn more about big hat

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

big hat belongs to the thriller bark fog people

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Rody One Half posted:

I thought it was fine but honestly the only other style One Piece needs is Hungry Days, which should be a full anime already.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

scary ghost dog posted:

ground floor for imu the final one piece thread

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Probably not enough wall-eyed blondes to take advantage of his full power.

There really is something deeply unsettling about how little visual personality Boichi's female characters have. Like, One Piece's women may mostly be Nami clones, but at least Nami gets to be expressive.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
976 is officially out now: https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1006375

Straw Hat Crew Helmsman!

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

So do you all think Vegapunk made Blackbeard's nanomachines or did he get them from somewhere else?

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Sucks that they would so willingly accept a zombie imposter crew member like that

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
This arc has been extremely good. Having world building bits break up the current story at certain points have done wonders for the pacing.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Can't get over how low-key hosed up Kanjuro is.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm gonna drink up all the Binks' Brew you got on your shelf
But first let me introduce myself
My name is Jimbei, pronounced with an imbei

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

The Wano-made guns looking like 19th century naval guns instead of the usual cannons is a nice touch.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Carrot for lookout

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Jimbei is cool

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Jimbae

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

So, do we get the full spread of everyone including Jimbei next chapter?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Oh man, just look at Luffy in this chapter. See how actually competent and captainly he's being.

Jimbo cool as well. This is going to be a showdown for the ages.