Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
This is the Doolittle Raid: Source

quote:

THE 16 BOMBERS ROARED OFF the Hornet’s deck on the morning of April 18, 1942. All bombed targets but one, whose pilot had to ditch his ordnance in the sea to outrun fighters. According to materials only lately brought to light, the raid obliterated 112 buildings and damaged 53, killing 87 men, women, and children. Among 151 civilians seriously injured, one was a woman shot through the face and thigh while gathering shellfish near Nagoya. At least 311 others suffered minor injuries.

In Tokyo, the raiders burned the Communication Ministry transformer station, as well as more than 50 buildings around the Asahi Electrical Manufacturing Corporation factory and 13 adjoining the National Hemp and Dressing Company. In Kanagawa Prefecture, just south of Tokyo, raiders targeted foundries, factories, and warehouses of the Japanese Steel Corporation and Showa Electric as well as the Yokosuka Naval Base. Robert Bourgeois, bombardier of the 13th plane, which attacked Yokosuka, later commented on the intensity of his preparation. “I had looked at the pictures on board the carrier so much that I knew where every shop was located at this naval base,” he recalled. “It was as if it were my own backyard.”

In Saitama Prefecture, to the north, bombardiers blasted Japan Diesel Corporation Manufacturing. At Nagoya, a massive Toho Gas Company storage tank burned completely. Bombs there also damaged a Mitsubishi Heavy Industries aircraft factory. Six wards of the army hospital went up in flames, along with a food warehouse and army arsenal.

The Japanese logged the results of the war’s first raid on their homeland in minute detail, records that largely survived the 1945 bombardment of Tokyo and the deliberate destruction of records that preceded Japan’s surrender. Pilot Edgar McElroy’s attack on the Yokosuka Naval Base ripped a 26-by-50-foot hole in submarine tender Taigei’s port side, delaying its conversion to an aircraft carrier for four months. One of pilot Harold Watson’s 500-pound demolition bombs penetrated a warehouse filled with gasoline, heavy oil, and volatile methyl chloride, only to bounce into the neighboring wooden building before exploding. Bombs left craters 10 feet deep and 30 feet across. A dud ripped through a house to bury itself in the clay beneath, forcing the military to set a 650-foot perimeter to excavate the projectile.

As Doolittle anticipated, the attack burned residences from Tokyo to Kobe. In 2003 Japanese historians Takehiko Shibata and Katsuhiro Hara revealed that pilot Travis Hoover alone destroyed 52 homes and damaged 14. One bomb blew a woman from the second floor of her house to land unhurt in the street atop a mat. In the same neighborhood 10 civilians died, some burning to death in collapsing houses. Pilots Hoover, Robert Gray, David Jones, and Richard Joyce accounted for 75 of the 87 fatalities. Jones’s attack claimed the most lives—27.

Gray strafed what he thought was a factory, complete with a rooftop air defense surveillance tower. But it was Mizumoto Primary School, where students, like many across Japan, attended half-day classes on Saturdays. After school let out at 11 a.m, many students had stayed to help clean classrooms; one died in the strafing attack. At Waseda Middle School, one of Doolittle’s incendiaries killed fourth-grader Shigeru Kojima. Children’s deaths became a rallying point. A Japanese sergeant later captured by Allied forces described the furor that erupted from the raid. “One father wrote to a leading daily telling of the killing of his child in the bombing of the primary school,” his interrogation report stated. “He deplored the dastardly act and avowed his intention of avenging the child’s death by joining the army and dying a glorious death.”

This, on the other hand, from Downfall: The End of the Imperial Japanese Empire by Richard B. Franks, was Tokyo:

(Don't read if you don't want to ruin your Sunday morning)

This, or something like this, happened to nearly every Japanese city. Tokyo wasn't even the worst hit, as this helpful chart explains. See if you can find your hometown!

The reason Grave of the Fireflies takes place in Kobe is because the story is semi-autobiographical. The author of the original short story that the film was based on grew up in Kobe, and based the story on his experiences in the aftermath (Including the death of his sister from malnutrition). And while the story is, in part, intended for children (though 'child' here is probably better defined as 'pre-teens and teenagers'), it's to help them understand the very real events that their parents and grandparents lived through.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It’s the point where the thing where everyone collectively confused cloud with a brooding antihero got cannonized. He’s a doofus goofball in the game but everyone just arbitrarily decided he was cool and dark and advent children made him that.

i mean i think it was the events of the game that kinda made him go from goofball to sad jerk

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Advent Children is absolutely terrible and the best thing about it is it forced FFXIII to get finished, there is no conceivable reason to watch it unless you are doing research on product placement in films.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Grave of the Fireflies is the movie with the big sequence of the bomb going off where they have shots of people's faces and eyeballs melting off right

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The only reason I liked Advent Children was the whole Cloud getting impaled by Masamune, then pulling it out and performing Omnislash. That was literally it.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I liked the nonsensical jump boost sequence.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Macaluso posted:

Grave of the Fireflies is the movie with the big sequence of the bomb going off where they have shots of people's faces and eyeballs melting off right

No, that's Barefoot Gen.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Maybe it's the quarantine talking but I really like Thundercats Roar. It seems to be almost universally reviled but my daughter and I find it hilarious.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I assumed it was cancelled! I love this style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei9u8WWfuxo

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

SolarFire2 posted:

I have never cried like I cried when I finished that book in third grade. I finished it on a Saturday morning and I was completely inconsolable all weekend.

My 4th grade teacher read us the book when we finished our work early (kind of childish even for 4th grade, but he had a very good audio reading voice and picked interesting books), I think half the class yelled 'drat you' at him, and he didn't even try to scold us for swearing at him.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Pick posted:

I assumed it was cancelled! I love this style.

yeah nope, it just sitting in CN's vault for a while before they dusted it off. It was meant to come out last year (we haven't even gotten any eps copyright 2020 yet), and one of the directors on a few early episodes moved onto Mao Mao, and his first Mao Mao eps aired back in september

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

yeah nope, it just sitting in CN's vault for a while before they dusted it off. It was meant to come out last year (we haven't even gotten any eps copyright 2020 yet), and one of the directors on a few early episodes moved onto Mao Mao, and his first Mao Mao eps aired back in september

Mao Mao is incredibly good btw

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like that some episodes of Mao Mao don't go how you'd expect or have a fun twist, like the thumb wrestling tournament where it's revealed that Mao Mao is just a normal cat who only has fingers because of his gloves, without them he just has paws with little nubs where a thumb would be or the cooking competition where it's the serious Mao Mao being the artistic one and the sensitive Badgerclops being the scientist when you'd expect it to be the reverse due to their personalities.

I also like that the villains make full use of the Power of Friendship. They aren't embarrassed by their reliance on each other, they care for each other as much as the heroes, and unabashedly love the mouse's mother's cooking.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Acebuckeye13 posted:

This is the Doolittle Raid: Source

This, on the other hand, from Downfall: The End of the Imperial Japanese Empire by Richard B. Franks, was Tokyo:

(Don't read if you don't want to ruin your Sunday morning)

This, or something like this, happened to nearly every Japanese city. Tokyo wasn't even the worst hit, as this helpful chart explains. See if you can find your hometown!

The reason Grave of the Fireflies takes place in Kobe is because the story is semi-autobiographical. The author of the original short story that the film was based on grew up in Kobe, and based the story on his experiences in the aftermath (Including the death of his sister from malnutrition). And while the story is, in part, intended for children (though 'child' here is probably better defined as 'pre-teens and teenagers'), it's to help them understand the very real events that their parents and grandparents lived through.
I knew about the biography of it. Strange since I had read about the Doolittle Runs being part. Thanks for the clarification.

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

hallelujah posted:

i would like an edgy dolittle wherein the doctor incites the animals to kill
...american pigdogs!!!

quote:

Robert Bourgeois, bombardier of the 13th plane
lol

the loving bourgeois. i knew it

hallelujah fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Apr 6, 2020

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Robindaybird posted:

My 4th grade teacher read us the book when we finished our work early (kind of childish even for 4th grade, but he had a very good audio reading voice and picked interesting books), I think half the class yelled 'drat you' at him, and he didn't even try to scold us for swearing at him.

my fifth/sixth grade teacher read us that book at some point and I kinda remember him having to stop reading Red Fern at a certain point because he realized he was just gonna start crying in front of the kids and wanted an extra day to steel up. That would have been roughly the same time period in which I read Bridge to Terebithia, another sterling example of a "Make Kids Sob During School" book

this isn't strictly animation but when's the last time one of those Disney live-action YA adaptations has really landed? I feel like they've tried many times over the last few decades and they're always like, fine, but then they bomb at the box office and yet they try again. Wrinkle in Time, Artemis Fowl, Bridge to Terebithia, Tuck Everlasting, The BFG, Alexander and the Terrible Horrible No Good Very Bad Day, i feel like there's probably more i'm missing.

I guess Narnia was the last time that worked, but even then they sorta faded away after Prince Caspian and Fox went and co-produced the third one instead.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Holes.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

maybe it didn't make $200 million but Bridge to Terabithia was a very well made adaptation and had a pretty drat good cast, but looking at the other films you mention it seems like it was the one that probably had the biggest cultural impact. I remember when The BFG came out and during the first week I remember sitting in the theatre with maybe 10 people in total. This also happened when I went to go see Pete's Dragon, anyone here remember that one?

did anyone actually SEE Tuck Everlasting? I remember ads for it when it came out but I don't know a single person who actually went to see it

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I had no idea Tuck Everlasting was a movie. I remember reading that in school, didn't think much of it.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Holes is loving fantastic and what changes they made were mainly for the sake of filmability (and so a kid isn't literally gaining and losing a fuckton of weight in a short span).

I never even thought of Sigourney Weaver for the Warden and I can't picture anyone else in that role.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I have now watched all of Thundercats Roar and can confirm it loving rocks

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Pick posted:

Holes.

Holes was a good film/book, I should watch/read it again sometime.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I actually recall liking The BFG when it hit theaters, but I gather that is not exactly the popular consensus about the film.

Tying it in more to this thread, I should really see about (re?)watching the earlier animated short (insofar as 30-ish minutes is "short") as well.

Shadow Hog fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Apr 6, 2020

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pick fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Apr 6, 2020

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

I remember some people were going "Thundercats Roar sucks despite being made by professionals while Hazbin Hotel is great and was made by independent artists" and one of the boarders on Roar replied with something along the lines of "jokes on you I worked on both"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Now that someone gave me the heads-up it was out, congrats 'cause thundercats roawr is my favorite tv cartoon of the last... mmm probably three years, easily

The animation is incredibly loving great, honestly sort of blows my mind how good a lot of the action sequences are.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

"jokes on you I worked on both"

:rant: ugh. Will no one rid us of this CalArts STYLe?!?!?!?!!! :agesilaus:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3VTBJYfivg

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

animated short? it was a feature length movie

e: this was in reference to Shadow Hog's post about The BFG

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
BTW has Mao Mao been cancelled or is it still going? It's last episode was in December. It just seems to be releasing very sparsely.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

BioEnchanted posted:

BTW has Mao Mao been cancelled or is it still going? It's last episode was in December. It just seems to be releasing very sparsely.

nope it's just been on hiatus (the ep that came out in december was app exclusive as part of CN's recent tradition of releasing episodes of shows early on the app in early december as a preview for the following year, hasn't actually aired on TV yet). Not sure how long season 1 is yet, but given that it's been over 26 episodes already, then, by usual CN trends, it's either 40 eps or 52 (and the ep that came out in december is ep 31)

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

I remember some people were going "Thundercats Roar sucks despite being made by professionals while Hazbin Hotel is great and was made by independent artists" and one of the boarders on Roar replied with something along the lines of "jokes on you I worked on both"

Is the logic here straight up pointy-lines-good round-lines-bad?

Also, a few pages late, but finally got around to seeing Onward and just add me to the pile that saw that as basically replacement level Pixar, which is still really good. The core of the story was pretty straight forward, and it just didn't have the visual panache of, say, Coco to make it stand out.

The goofy dragon face got a laugh out of us, though, especially when Mr. Angry Eyes Dragon happened.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Apr 6, 2020

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I wonder what fantastic setting Pixar is planning to make mundane next.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I love that they’re using all the original cartoon music. I don’t think I’ve seen the cartoon since the 80s, but I instantly recognised that music. :allears:

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Pick posted:

Now that someone gave me the heads-up it was out, congrats 'cause thundercats roawr is my favorite tv cartoon of the last... mmm probably three years, easily

The animation is incredibly loving great, honestly sort of blows my mind how good a lot of the action sequences are.

I'm glad that my love of it isn't just Corona brainworms!

My daughter, who has no point of reference for Thundercats, is in love with it and now I'm trying to figure out how to make/acquire a Cheetara costume that would be in any way appropriate for a seven year old to wear.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

flashy_mcflash posted:

how to make/acquire a Cheetara costume that would be in any way appropriate for a seven year old to wear.
Going by the Roar designs:
Tan bodysuit without one arm, boots, orange overall-shorts?

Or you could go with the reboot young cheetara if you eant more work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckpcldJByGA

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 7, 2020

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

That's cool! I never saw the 2011 reboot. It's it worth my time?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The 2011 Thundercats was so loving boring.

It was amusing that they cancelled it after a season and then immediately greenlit a Lego series about an orange lion man using a special sword to fight crocodile lizard men for ten seasons.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The first episode was very promising.

That's not nothin'!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost