Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

More people are going to die in the inevitable heat death of the universe than the Roni

Heh checkmate libtards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Platystemon posted:

Isn’t this still the Case Fatality Rate?

That is, it’s the dead divided by the number of people that presented with the disease. Asymptomatic infectees aren’t counted.

For a while there was hope that there was huge numbers of asymptomatic people, that this disease only looked real bad because only the worst people were presenting, but when they did mass testing less than a quarter of people didn't have symptoms, most people that get this get sick. Like there is enough asymptomatic people to be potential typhoid marys, but not enough that it's gonna turn out there was some 8 million people infected that didn't notice and all this hysteria was all silly for some disease that barely kills anyone at all but accidently looked like it because only a few rare outliers noticed they got it.

diamond cruise:

The posterior median estimate of the true proportion of asymptomatic individuals among the reported asymptomatic cases is 0.35 (95% credible interval (CrI): 0.30–0.39), with the estimated total number of the true asymptomatic cases at 113.3 (95%CrI: 98.2–128.3) and the estimated asymptomatic proportion (among all infected cases) at 17.9% (95%CrI: 15.5–20.2%).

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

No, the answer lies in the fact this is not and has not been a hoax, and the idea this is just a little bit worse than the flu has been repeatedly floated and repeatedly failed to be correct. The death rate varies by age and health and is between .2% for young people and 15% for old people, with a general average being 2.5% for a population. It is not the case that really secretly this really only has a 1% or <1% fatality rate because no one thought to count right and all those dummies are just over reacting to a silly cold. It is not the case that if we just counted better we would find out this wasn't actually so bad, it's actually bad!

It's even bigger bullshit than this. They aren't just saying that the numbers are being counted wrong, they're saying that there's some massive group of people (silent majority lol) who had symptoms so mild that they weren't being tested at all. It's unbelievably dangerous because it's morphing into this idea that widescale immunity already exists. Lots of loving idiots are going to say "I had a cough last month so I'm immune" and ignore everything they should be doing.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Welp.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Isn’t this still the Case Fatality Rate?

That is, it’s the dead divided by the number of people that presented with the disease. Asymptomatic infectees aren’t counted.

It is not. The case fatality rate is the portion of people who once infected (a "case"), go on to die over a time period being defined as the course of the disease. (The rest, of course, recover.) You can't determine it without a lot of good testing data.

You obviously can't get an accurate number by dividing deaths by total positive because in active phase of an epidemic a lot of people will come up positive who are early in the infection and haven't had time to die or recover yet.

At the very beginning of an outbreak being detected, case fatality will look really high because severe cases and deaths are going to be what brings it to attention and will be overrepresented, and if people die at say two weeks but it takes four weeks for the disease to run its course then you won't have those "closed recovered" cases to look at.

That's why some people have suggested that dividing current deaths number by the total cases number from two weeks ago is a reasonable guesstimate. I think at this point with the chaos in places like NYC, Detroit and NOLA we're going to be missing a lot of deaths of people who die at home or die in the ER and never get tested.

https://www.thelancet.com/action/showPdf?pii=S1473-3099%2820%2930246-2

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Paradoxish posted:

It's even bigger bullshit than this. They aren't just saying that the numbers are being counted wrong, they're saying that there's some massive group of people (silent majority lol) who had symptoms so mild that they weren't being tested at all. It's unbelievably dangerous because it's morphing into this idea that widescale immunity already exists. Lots of loving idiots are going to say "I had a cough last month so I'm immune" and ignore everything they should be doing.

Yeah, even just this thread has had countless "I had a sore throat, must be le roni, lol, hahaha." posts of people that had entirely mundane diseases but now have some belief they are immune. Asymptomatic and low symptom cases exist, but the meme that they are the majority is not what the facts show. Even the "80% are mild" statistic is defining mild as "<50% lung involvement on imaging"

If you get it you almost certainly get a fever and other major symptoms. If you are young the disease doesn't progress to the point you die, but you get sick in a way you know you are quite ill. In a majority of all cases.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/clinical-guidance-management-patients.html

Fever (83–99%)
Cough (59–82%)
Fatigue (44–70%)
Anorexia (40–84%)
Shortness of breath (31–40%)
Sputum production (28–33%)
Myalgias (11–35%)

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Zwabu posted:

That's why some people have suggested that dividing current deaths number by the total cases number from two weeks ago is a reasonable guesstimate. I think at this point with the chaos in places like NYC, Detroit and NOLA we're going to be missing a lot of deaths of people who die at home or die in the ER and never get tested.

https://www.thelancet.com/action/showPdf?pii=S1473-3099%2820%2930246-2

Is this including people whose cause of death is recorded as "acute pneumonia" or similar that don't explicitly state Covid-19?

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Arrgytehpirate posted:

“It didn’t affect me at all but they still gave me $58,000”

A golfer talking about the small business loans.

“I hired my stepsons and pay them $1,500 every two weeks and they give me half back.”

The same guy.

“With my record I’m trying to do this legit.”

His friend.

I hate rich people

Danish government has/will (not sure if the law has been passed yet) quadruple the punishment (fine and jailtime) for white-collar crime in relation to our aid package (ie pro-forma employment, cooking the books, fraud). I think that's sensible. For an arrangement such as the one you describe I think the usual sentence is 18 months - so that would be 6 years with the corona-bonus. If there are enough zeros on the money involved, the punishment for fraud is 6-7 years, so that would be 25 years give or take.

PederP fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 5, 2020

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Paradoxish posted:

The exact statistical rates don't really matter because they don't change the situation on the ground. We can look at the total numbers of deaths/hospitalizations, and we can see it following a really worrying trend. It's unrealistic to assume that we're close to the end right now. Even if we were, that doesn't change the fact that NYC is getting slammed, and that the healthcare system is being pushed past its limits. Whether the death is 3% or 2% or >1% doesn't really change the situation on the ground. Going into a hospital that is being overrun and telling everyone "It's okay, it turns out that we missed half of the cases when calculating our incident rate and now all the rates are half of what they were" doesn't make a bed shortage less of a crisis.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

PederP posted:

Danish government has/will (not sure if the law has been passed yet) quadruple the punishment (fine and jailtime) for white-collar crime in relation to our aid package (ie pro-forma employment, cooking the books, fraud). I think that's sensible.

It's kind of milquetoast, to be honest. They should at least octuple the punishment. At least

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Thanks for jumping in there and taking the heat off of Texas, Florida. We can always count on you.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Libluini posted:

It's kind of milquetoast, to be honest. They should at least octuple the punishment. At least

The judicial IT system probably can't handle more than 25 year sentences.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Real estate in Florida about to get real cheap.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

One of my coworkers might have it. The likelihood of me getting it from them is low (we haven’t interacted in two weeks) but I’d rather not become a jelly-filled donut :ohdear:

Gunthen
Apr 10, 2011

Haramstufe Rot posted:

Germany should do the same with all ventilators and meds.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...s-idUSKBN20T166

They did, like three weeks ago.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

grack posted:

Real estate in Florida about to get real cheap.

People were essentially showing up with suitcases full of cash and buying property sight-unseen. Sellers market is fun for sellers I imagine. Wonder what property in SF is like?

https://i.imgur.com/iBYd5Xg.mp4

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 5, 2020

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yeah, even just this thread has had countless "I had a sore throat, must be le roni, lol, hahaha." posts of people that had entirely mundane diseases but now have some belief they are immune. Asymptomatic and low symptom cases exist, but the meme that they are the majority is not what the facts show. Even the "80% are mild" statistic is defining mild as "<50% lung involvement on imaging"

If you get it you almost certainly get a fever and other major symptoms. If you are young the disease doesn't progress to the point you die, but you get sick in a way you know you are quite ill. In a majority of all cases.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/clinical-guidance-management-patients.html

Fever (83–99%)
Cough (59–82%)
Fatigue (44–70%)
Anorexia (40–84%)
Shortness of breath (31–40%)
Sputum production (28–33%)
Myalgias (11–35%)

Yeah, people acting like this is super dumb. I'm sick right now, the nurse at my local hotline says it's probably covid, I have most of the major symptoms except a fever, and after I recover from whatever this is I'm still going to be acting like I didn't catch it because they're not testing me so I don't actually know and in the interest of everyone's health I can definitely self isolate for a little while longer just in case.

And while my symptoms are definitely only mild, this still suuuuuuuuuper sucks to have.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

There are definitely a lot of people who have it that are home and not getting tested (or can't) and aren't going to the hospital, so the true case number is going to be much higher than the official reports. I have seen a lot of stories about even people going to the hospital with symptoms not getting tested.

Here in FL like 60-70% of our total cases are confined to South Florida. We have had some in Central FL but it's not anywhere close to South Florida levels yet. The rest of the cases are in Tampa Bay and Jacksonville.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
That spike is gonna come hard
https://twitter.com/AmarAmarasingam/status/1246658639785492480?s=19

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

My Granddad told me never to mess with a dogs food, and never feed one from your own plate. That concludes my pet knowledge.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Anyone know when the IMHE model updates?

Up until yesterday they had a message at the top that said "check back Saturday, April 4th for our next update" but they removed the message last night.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

FlamingLiberal posted:

There are definitely a lot of people who have it that are home and not getting tested (or can't) and aren't going to the hospital, so the true case number is going to be much higher than the official reports. I have seen a lot of stories about even people going to the hospital with symptoms not getting tested.

Here in FL like 60-70% of our total cases are confined to South Florida. We have had some in Central FL but it's not anywhere close to South Florida levels yet. The rest of the cases are in Tampa Bay and Jacksonville.

I know someone who 100% has COVID-19. She spent the first two days vomiting (not on that list), and ended up with almost every other symptom. At one point, she was monitoring her blood oxygen and it dipped to 85%, but she held off on going to the hospital and it improved over the next two days. She is 31 years old.

The real kicker here is she is a hospice RN and she first got symptoms maybe 2 weeks ago; when she tried to get tested (Indiana), they told her “no, go home and stay there.”

Edit

She has not told me this, but my sister told me that this sick person I am mentioning also explained to her how the people at her hospice were all dropping dead much more quickly than expected from pneumonia for three loving weeks prior to the first shutdown here.

How much do you want to bet, Indiana could add an untold number of people to that COVID-19 death total from cases of people who were going to die anyway, so COVID-19 will never appear on their death certificate.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 5, 2020

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

More people are going to die in the inevitable heat death of the universe than the Roni

Heh checkmate libtards

I'm fairly sure, we will all be gone earlier than that.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

At least it will be very karmic

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Grouchio posted:

At least it will be very karmic

it's predestination, man

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

It's not just the US blaming China

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe...405-p54h5b.html

quote:

China should be sued for $6.5 trillion for coronavirus damages says top UK think tank

London: China should be sued under international law for trillions of dollars for its initial cover-up of the coronavirus pandemic which has caused more than 60,000 deaths and trillions of dollars in economic damage, a new report says.

The report said damages should be for at least the Ł3.2 ($6.5 trillion) being spent by G7 nations propping up their domestic economies as governments forced their citizens to stay at home so they could try and contain the disease's spread.

And it singled out Prime Minister Scott Morrison's unprecedented $130 billion in government support for workers and businesses, saying Australians too were owed at least that amount in compensation.

Senior Chinese figures, including China's Foreign Ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian have endorsed speculative and groundless claims that the virus was imported to Wuhan by the United States military, instead of emerging at the Huanan Seafood Wholesale Market, where wild, live animals were traded.

According to the report, Coronavirus Compensation? by conservative London think tank The Henry Jackson Society, China could be sued under 10 possible legal avenues, including the International Health Regulations, which were beefed up after the SARS outbreak, which China also tried to cover up.

The report said had China provided accurate information at an early juncture, "the infection would not have left China."

China only reported the disease to the WHO on December 31 and said there was no evidence of human-to-human transmission.

Yet whistleblower medics, including Li Wenliang, were reprimanded for raising the alert. Some were confident the disease was spreading between humans before this date.

Reporting by the South China Morning Post has cited Chinese government documents that identified nearly 200 cases of coronavirus by December 27.

The International Health Regulations says nations must monitor and share data related to the spread, severity, and transmission of any pathogens that are potentially transmissible internationally.

The Henry Jackson Society said China had done the opposite, by covering up data and punishing doctors who sought to tell the truth.

It urged a coalition of countries to launch joint-action because of China's record of "responding aggressively to threats on the world stage."

"Taking action would require both courage and global solidarity," the report said.

"In its early response, Wuhan and Hubei breached [International Health] Regulations...responsibility goes to the top of the regime.

"It appears more than probable that the Chinese Communist Party’s response to COVID-19 was in breach of international law," it said.

The report said that while levelling a claim of dispute under the International Health Regulations would be unprecedented, there was an initial framework within the structures of the WHO for bringing such a suit.

Other options could involve using the International Court of Justice and Permanent Court of Arbitration, The World Trade Organisation, bilateral investment treaties and even the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea.

Domestic courts and Chinese courts could also be possible avenues, the report said.

Report co-author Matthew Henderson said the Chinese people were also the victims of their government's negligence.

"They are innocent victims, like the rest of us. This is the fault of the CCP," he said.

"The Chinese Communist Party has learnt no lessons from its failure in the SARS epidemic.

"Their repeated blunders, lies and disinformation, from the start of the COVID-19 epidemic, have already had far more deadly consequences.

"By computing the cost of damage caused to advanced economies and assembling a series of possible legal processes to which the rules-based order can have recourse, we offer a sense of how the free world might seek recompense for the appalling harm the CCP has done," he said.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm wondering how much the actual disease specific death rate matters at this point. Hospitals are at or beyond capacity, people have lost their jobs and health care, shortages of supplies and housing, and god knows what else are all going compound and push deaths higher. I feel like the number of Covid attributable deaths will far out pace the hypothetical "true" mortality rate and actual # of infections.

Starving people, with existing medical conditions, kicked out on the streets due to being laid off are going to die even if they never contracted the disease. The US system is primed to collapse here.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
of course it's the countries that were going to try to brute force herd immunity by doing literally nothing that are now desperately trying to shift the blame anywhere else

Crain posted:

I'm wondering how much the actual disease specific death rate matters at this point. Hospitals are at or beyond capacity, people have lost their jobs and health care, shortages of supplies and housing, and god knows what else are all going compound and push deaths higher. I feel like the number of Covid attributable deaths will far out pace the hypothetical "true" mortality rate and actual # of infections.

Starving people, with existing medical conditions, kicked out on the streets due to being laid off are going to die even if they never contracted the disease. The US system is primed to collapse here.

yeah pretty much. At this point, death rate is just going to tell you how many hundreds of thousands of americans will die. While the difference between 300,000 and 900,000 is huge, that we're even at that point is the real failing.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 5, 2020

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Crain posted:

It doesn't matter except for history's sake at this point. There are a lot of deaths where the cause of death is probably because of COVID-19 but it gets labeled as 'pneumonia' or 'ARDS' which was probably due to COVID-19.

The death rates will rise as hospitals continue to fill up and people that may have survived with proper treatment won't because there are no beds.

Gunthen
Apr 10, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

It doesn't matter except for history's sake at this point. There are a lot of deaths where the cause of death is probably because of COVID-19 but it gets labeled as 'pneumonia' or 'ARDS' which was probably due to COVID-19.

The death rates will rise as hospitals continue to fill up and people that may have survived with proper treatment won't because there are no beds.

That's the entire reason for the stay at home orders, so we can limit the overburdening of our healthcare system. The Virus will still spread to the majority of the population, just hopefully not all at once.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Well if a right wing conservative think tank says it I guess it must be true then

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Does anyone have the link to the twitter thread on why the antibody tests with 95% accuracy are actually unreliable because of math and statistics that I don't understand handy?

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

3rdEyeDeuteranopia posted:

It's not just the US blaming China

Oh no, a shady British rightwing organization with previous form for spreading anti-China propaganda does the same!

Ikonoklast
Nov 16, 2007

A beacon for the liars and blind.

A Typical Goon posted:

Well if a right wing conservative think tank says it I guess it must be true then

They have also been accused of anti-China campaigns, at the behest of their anonymous funders, in the past.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Oh dear me posted:

Oh no, a shady British rightwing organization with previous form for spreading anti-China propaganda does the same!

It’s very much an Anglo-sphere thing. Australia has pol’s spouting much the same poo poo.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

The UK bringing the reparations topic to the table will certainly work out well for them.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Racism aside. I read that Chinese companies are buying their way into Australian companies and causing all kinds of poo poo. Like making life really hard for Hong Kong immigrants.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

What's the statute of limitations on empire

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
My fiancé and I get to have the “please stop bringing your girlfriend over during the pandemic, you are taking advantage of our generosity and not taking this situation seriously enough” conversation with our roommate tomorrow and it’s been causing me untold amounts of stress. She’s been coming over four days out of the week and still goes out to work (she is not an essential employee) every day and goes hiking with him in the weekends. I’m losing my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

HookShot posted:

Does anyone have the link to the twitter thread on why the antibody tests with 95% accuracy are actually unreliable because of math and statistics that I don't understand handy?

Don't have the link, but the short short version is if a million people take it and you have a 5% false positive rate, you get 50000 people who think they had the virus when they didn't yet have the virus. If 1% of those million actually had the virus (10000 people), then 9500 of those will be true positives. That means you get 59500 people who think they had the virus, even though only 9500 really had it. (e.g. 5% of a big number is more than 95% of a small number)