Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
disgusted that Roma didn't buy American

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Keep this going. I don't know if I'll ever do a restart from episode 1 at this point but I love hearing snippets. The boys sound so young

For me, this was the moment UYD became UYD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krfcz9sot7Y

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
If you are into uyd you should definitely start back from the beginning. I would 100% recommend this. I find for me it's the opposite in that listening to a recent episode sound so different from what I'm used to (the older eps).

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

The only reason I won't is I've done it 2 or 3 times at this point. I'm the type of person that can rarely stand to watch a movie more than once

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
What car did seth buy

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

The only reason I won't is I've done it 2 or 3 times at this point. I'm the type of person that can rarely stand to watch a movie more than once

Ah ok I thought you meant you hadn't yet.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Transcribe every single UYD episode. Edit.
Compile into a book. Have them both monologue some reflections and transcribe that. Add some fan illustrations.
Sell for... $30?
This would be cool. Also intense because it would probably be pretty long so they would realistically maybe only transcribe 100 or so fan favourite episodes.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

If they did every episode it would be Encyclopedia Brittanica sized and some future civilization would find it and treat it like the Dialogues of Plato

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

zenguitarman posted:

If they did every episode it would be Encyclopedia Brittanica sized and some future civilization would find it and treat it like the Dialogues of Plato

And that's a bad thing?

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

its the best we can hope for imo

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

"The Thinker" but it's Seth and Jah attempting Twin Jets

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
And so it was declared, leaky boners to the front of the line and it was done.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Was going through the old eps and heard this rant and thought I had accidentally put on the most recent ep. The boys prescient yet again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IHFIoLOJKE

A short but great Seth bit about the Scream movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mjJ3GarlSE

A great forgotten Seth story about going to Time Warner. "Listen, I'm a Christian."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txcINrwg-ps

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Seth runs into a Da Vinci Code super fan at the premier of the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8odObVPcn8

One of my favorite long segments. The boys read predictions made in 1979 from a Science magazine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZUm9zLiVWY

Features a classic Seth rant about math and science.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

Lampsacus posted:

Transcribe every single UYD episode. Edit.
Compile into a book. Have them both monologue some reflections and transcribe that. Add some fan illustrations.
Sell for... $30?
This would be cool. Also intense because it would probably be pretty long so they would realistically maybe only transcribe 100 or so fan favourite episodes.

I used to transcribe professionally. If someone wanted to pay me a decent rate to transcribe UYD I would absolutely do it.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Binowru posted:

I used to transcribe professionally. If someone wanted to pay me a decent rate to transcribe UYD I would absolutely do it.
Huh cool. In your estimate, roughly how many words would each episode be-ish?

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
Ep 652: You don’t get Westways? Well then how the gently caress do you know you get 25% off all Crocs?

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

Lampsacus posted:

Huh cool. In your estimate, roughly how many words would each episode be-ish?

Roughly an hour of audio with two people talking? Probably in the neighborhood of 10 to 15,000 words.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I only just listened to the story about seth's dad in almost dying as a fireman. I somehow missed that the first time round.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
This VHS tape deep dive at the end of 787 is loving crazy

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

Well, there's your problem!

C-Euro posted:

This VHS tape deep dive at the end of 787 is loving crazy

Love the detail about Seth dropping off VHS tapes at Jonathan’s door, like of course he would be doing that.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Remembered I had an old Python script that scrapes the UYD Vault page into an RSS file, so I dusted it off and polished it up and here it is. You'll need to know how to install Python dependencies (listed at the top) and run a command-line script. Many podcast apps will let you import an RSS file stored locally on your device; the script will also give you instructions for uploading the RSS file to Dropbox and getting a link that will work in your app.

This merely automates the process of copy-pasting the Vault links into an RSS file builder; if they ever move or gate the MP3 files themselves your feed won't work anymore. It requires valid credentials to the Vault; please take care to follow the instructions about not making the feed public.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
This video makes me think of UYD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMfPDBahbPI

Sampled in this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-XBWpIAotM

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Happy soberversary Seth :toot:

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

14: "You say I'm a poet? I'm expressing my feelings/Sick and tired of being called the son of Dan Fielding"

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Holy poo poo the sexy cop role-playing in 791 is the funniest thing I've heard in a long time.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Human Tornada posted:

Holy poo poo the sexy cop role-playing in 791 is the funniest thing I've heard in a long time.
God I hope they clip that one for Youtube

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I keep reading stories like this and thinking about that old segment they used to do about chinese imports.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/apr/30/entire-order-of-250-chinese-ventilators-were-useless-despite

Chinese ventilators that ministers heralded as vital to the NHS’s efforts to tackle Covid-19 were badly built, unsuitable for use in hospitals and potentially dangerous for patients, it has emerged.

All of the devices in a consignment of 250 ventilators that arrived from China on 4 April posed such serious problems that they could not be used and were ditched.

Doctors in NHS hospitals in the West Midlands, among which the ventilators were shared, were so concerned that they wrote to Matt Hancock, the health secretary, warning that they could kill patients.

“We believe that if used, significant patient harm, including death, is likely,” they wrote in a letter, which was obtained by NBC News. “We look forward to the withdrawal and replacement of these ventilators with devices better able to provide intensive care ventilation for our patients.”

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Human Tornada posted:

'that was a hate crime'

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

792 Jay Leno recap is an all time great. I saw this in the show notes before the episode came out and I think that made it even better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5xEtxhmZ-o

I made it 2 minutes I think

The Wiggly Wizard fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 6, 2020

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

793 is great too, this is a real hot streak. I think this is the only podcast I listen to that has gotten better during this? General "how's your quarantine?" talk is better than anyone else's cause of singularly crazy they each are, they don't rely on any particular thing happening in the world to talk about so there's no shortage of material, still recording in person.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011

792 Jay Leno recap is an all time great. I saw this in the show notes before the episode came out and I think that made it even better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5xEtxhmZ-o

I made it 2 minutes I think

Both amazing and truly unwatchable. The gall of Maher to call one of Jay's jokes 'a bit dated'.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Fan theory: Seth's obsession with Leno stems from unresolved issues with his father

Advanced fan theory: Jay Leno is Seth's father

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
In ep 583 they say that seth has close experience with junkies that is why he talks harshly about them. Who is that?

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Jippa posted:

In ep 583 they say that seth has close experience with junkies that is why he talks harshly about them. Who is that?

I imagine the crowd he was running with when he wasn't sober(very very not sober) has something to do with it.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

General Dog posted:

Fan theory: Seth's obsession with Leno stems from unresolved issues with his father

Advanced fan theory: Jay Leno is Seth's father

Andy Rooney was his grandfather

nut
Jul 30, 2019

Welcome to Oklahoma. Imagine Dragons.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

GraPar posted:

There's a few mentions in the episodes after they stopped doing them - basically it sounds like they didn't particularly enjoy doing them and felt like having all the extra people, cameras etc. took something away from the podcast (although actually, by 'they', it's suggested that Seth was more against it than Jonathan)
I just stumbled on this post from seven years ago about the couple of videos they were doing in the 100s and just thought it's funny that 1) this podcast still exists 2) has enjoyed a new period of excellence since they started filming every episode for Patreon. Goddamn I love UYD.

In the 30s on my current relisten and it's wild how good they were from the start and also I can see the TCAP segments coming to an end but I know Craigshouse is coming to replace it.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010
When do they start Ask Amy? I feel like that's the longest-running segment at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
The Cameo talk in 793 reminded me of part of the ad campaign around Snakes On A Plane. You could enter a name and phone number into their website to have that number robo-called with a pre-recorded message of Samuel L Jackson telling the recipient to go see the movie, with their name inserted into the message. Totally free but you couldn't send it to the same number more than once. Nothing new under the sun I guess!