Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

The Croc posted:

Owens the last episode of this series from all the reports i read.

Ah, good – I can save my tears up for a solid few weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

New Jack really is an underrated promo

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I read this article and it sounds like New Jack is a bit of an rear end in a top hat. Demanding the interviewer to wear a bib? Also the bit of him telling at the security guard for selling himself out to the white man when he works at the same place is amusing.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

I read this article and it sounds like New Jack is a bit of an rear end in a top hat. Demanding the interviewer to wear a bib?

this owns and idk what to tell you if you sympathize with the slob embarrassing himself with appetizers

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
SMW New Jack was one of the best heels of all time

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

The OJ Simpson line was amazing

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

I read this article and it sounds like New Jack is a bit of an rear end in a top hat. Demanding the interviewer to wear a bib? Also the bit of him telling at the security guard for selling himself out to the white man when he works at the same place is amusing.

"I have proved myself incapable of eating jalapeño poppers without getting sauce in my lap. New Jack finds this hilarious."

Seems like it was a justified request

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
non-New Jack related highlights of that episode:
Tiny the Terrible thanking Jerry Springer for getting him so much pussy
Maurice Williams praising New Jack for his cooking and then simply saying 'spaghetti' when asked what he cooked.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Seams posted:

non-New Jack related highlights of that episode:
Tiny the Terrible thanking Jerry Springer for getting him so much pussy
Maurice Williams praising New Jack for his cooking and then simply saying 'spaghetti' when asked what he cooked.

also the story about Mustafa Saeed filling a blunt with pencil shavings

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Sandman's reaction to learning Mass Transit wanted New Jack to take a stupid bump. "Ohhhhhhh, now this all makes sense"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

God help me, but I laughed at New Jack telling the story of tasing Vic Grimes. "I can't feel my legs!" "You're not going to need them." *TOSS*

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Davros1 posted:

God help me, but I laughed at New Jack telling the story of tasing Vic Grimes. "I can't feel my legs!" "You're not going to need them." *TOSS*

I giggled at D Lo's reaction to the stabbing the Florida Man wrestler.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

"Paul worked the whole goddamn court room" or however New Jack said it was hysterical and I can very easily picture Heyman getting into some kind of character before being called to be a witness for one of his employees

Stealth Tiger fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Apr 2, 2020

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Davros1 posted:

BOMBS AWAYYYYYYY!

Also I loved the "end of the New Jack movie"

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

My favorite thing New Jack ever did was bust into a room where Cornette was doing a shoot video while singing Why Can't We Be Friends, there's a split-second frame where Jim 's brain is definitely thinking "here comes my stabbing"

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Mob posted:

My favorite thing New Jack ever did was bust into a room where Cornette was doing a shoot video while singing Why Can't We Be Friends, there's a split-second frame where Jim 's brain is definitely thinking "here comes my stabbing"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ias4SBOP_b4

Even in the thumbnail you can tell Cornette is thinking "please don't kill me"

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So apparently the Undertaker tried to kill Mankind or something like that?

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

punk rebel ecks posted:

So apparently the Undertaker tried to kill Mankind or something like that?

No, cuz Mick said "Toss me off this fucker" and the sacred dance of injury was done in good faith. New Jack did not give Grimes the opportunity to think it over and just hucked his tasered rear end off the thing.

Beer_Suitcase fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 2, 2020

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/DarkSideOfRing/status/1245858223795494913?s=20

4/7 – The Brawl For All
4/14 – Jimmy Snuka
4/21 – Dino Bravo
4/28 – Dr. D David Schultz
5/5 – Herb Abrams & The UWF
5/12 – The Road Warriors
5/19 – Owen Hart

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Jason is a trooper but I hope he's able to get the whole season done.

https://twitter.com/jasoneisener/status/1245491416932986884

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
BFA should be an awesome episode but I'm worried that they'll just use it as a vehicle for Russo to spew more bullshit

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddJFLgY8UgY

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Very interested in the Schultz episode, Heath McCoy's stampede book made him sound like a loon and a victim all at once

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 4, 2021

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
This is a good preview of what to expect in the UWF/Herb Abrams episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lkjnUCA7tA

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Better Than You posted:

This is a good preview of what to expect in the UWF/Herb Abrams episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lkjnUCA7tA

I love that Sports Channel America gave $1m to a guy who had no experience in wrestling to make a wrestling show. Genuinely loving amazing. Especially in 1991 money.

Also Davey Meltzer. So dumb you gotta love it.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I really have no concept of Herb Abrams and the UWF. I've always heard the names bounced around but I didn't grow up with it and never did any research on it. Would I be better served to wait for this episode to come out, or should I prep with these videos folks have posted?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Ganso Bomb posted:

I really have no concept of Herb Abrams and the UWF. I've always heard the names bounced around but I didn't grow up with it and never did any research on it. Would I be better served to wait for this episode to come out, or should I prep with these videos folks have posted?

Imagine if the flamboyant car salesman archetype had a coke habit, money to burn and a wrestling promotion

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

forkboy84 posted:

I love that Sports Channel America gave $1m to a guy who had no experience in wrestling to make a wrestling show. Genuinely loving amazing. Especially in 1991 money.

Meltzer put a blurb in Observer around Summer 1992 that Herb had "lost $750,000 since the UWF's inception", which means Herb still had $250,000 of SportsChannel's money left almost a year after their deal expired.

loving legend, man.

Quick story from Howard Brody's book:

quote:

Even his corporation, N.G.K., Inc., was a bit of a scam. His three dogs, Nikki, Gucci and Kokie (a little white dog named after one of his favorite habits) were listed as the company’s directors. When the owner of the Reseda Country Club tried to sue Herb for breach of contract, claiming N.G.K. did not deliver as promised, Herb’s lawyer argued that Herb Abrams was simply a character on the uwf television show and was not a registered officer of the corporation. The judge threw the case out of court claiming the plaintiff had not served the proper person.

MorrisBae fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 3, 2020

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Ganso Bomb posted:

There's...a lot. We also did a pair of deep dives on the Between The Sheets Patreon. Stuff like this just scratches the surface:
https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1246109341947658241

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

davidbix posted:

There's...a lot. We also did a pair of deep dives on the Between The Sheets Patreon. Stuff like this just scratches the surface:
https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1246109341947658241

I legit don't see how they can do this justice in an hour its worthy of a two parter just because its so insane.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

The Croc posted:

I legit don't see how they can do this justice in an hour its worthy of a two parter just because its so insane.

Remember too that Tod Gordon had a real tough road getting ECW onto television because he had to convince TV executives "I'm not Herb Abrams". Abrams poisoned the well, and we were almost denied ECW because Cokey McCokeface couldn't stop skipping out on bills and burning bridges.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Ganso Bomb posted:

The Between The Sheets patreon special on it is really great (as if their special on the GWF. There were some weird & wonderful stuff going on in televised wrestling in the early 90s)

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

MorrisBae posted:

the Reseda Country Club

It's fascinating how some of the very best wrestling ever & some of the very worst wrestling ever happened on the same street, 300 yards apart.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Imagine if the flamboyant car salesman archetype had a coke habit, money to burn and a wrestling promotion
So basically Southpaw Regional Wrestling in real life?

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
Oh my god. How have I never seen this before...

http://herbabramsuwf.googlepages.com/testimonialmollyohanlon.htm

quote:

Molly O'Hanlon (Wrestling Zen - 2006)

I knew Herb well and was the last person he lived with in California before he moved back to New York, just weeks before I heard he died. I was with him in the couple of years just before and after the fated Vegas MGM show that he presented, called "Blackjack Brawl". That show was his real undoing. He had such a great vision of the future of wrestling, but he was just a little ahead of the times. He invested everything he had in that show, and it was a great show. But the MGM is a huge venue, and he didn't get the ticket sales he needed to make his money back. Even though he sold some 3000 tickets, he needed to sell 5000 just to break even. It was a classic Vegas gamble I guess. A few people lost out on that deal and Herb lost a lot of credibility. Herb wanted to bring some class to wrestling, that's why he opted for the MGM in the first place. He found out, on the night of the show, that people didn't want to dress up to see wrestling, like they did in the golden years of boxing. I'm not sure they ever will. Herb was an amazing man despite the problems he had with cocaine. He wasn't a drinker though. He wanted so much to be famous and I teased him that he was more likely to be infamous. I called him Herbo the Turbo, and he liked that. Herb never could play by the rules. Perhaps that's why he was so well suited for professional wrestling. He was the biggest little man I ever knew. That man had balls. I could tell you stories... and so could a lot of other people. But don't get me wrong, Herb did burn a lot of people, myself included, still I think even they would tell you he was as generous as he was deceitful.

I was his girlfriend during those couple of years I mentioned and lived with him for that last year before he left California. I knew he was on the road to total destruction then. He owed everybody and their mother money. But I, and anybody who was still his friend, couldn't do anything to help and that was sad. It was this thing with the coke. He didn't do it that much, not like a common addict. But when he did it, he went into a completely paranoiac state, unlike anything you can imagine. He was convinced he was being watched by "the Feds" and he would literally destroy anything and everything around him in his attempt to find the "bugging devices". All the while, he would run water to "cover-up the sound" of anything he might say. He was self-sabotaging too, destroying his own possessions and personal papers and stuff. In that drugged state, the same as described by that author you quoted, he was insane. Eventually, the drugs would wear off and he'd feel extreme remorse, but he would pick himself up and go about his business. Oh yeah, he would usually have to pay for the damage, or end up in jail, or both. I never knew for sure what drove him to do what he did. At first, I figured he just couldn't say no, but I sometimes think he was trying to kill himself. I also think he struggled with a guilty conscious for much of his life, because when Herb got ahead it was usually at somebody's expense. Herb was a master manipulator, and I say that without malice, in fact, I believe he was brilliant, but he couldn't channel his intelligence in the right direction. He always went for the sucker punch. And yet, he gave a lot of money to the various charities and Jewish organizations to atone for himself.

I looked it up and Wrestling Zen was an old geocities site that had an alphabetical directory of wrestlers/promoters, and each wrestler had his own page with a comment box/guestbook. I'm guessing Herb's ex left the comment above randomly on Herb's guestbook.

loving bizarre.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

in conclusion, herb abrams is a land of contrasts

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

MorrisBae posted:

Oh my god. How have I never seen this before...

http://herbabramsuwf.googlepages.com/testimonialmollyohanlon.htm

I looked it up and Wrestling Zen was an old geocities site that had an alphabetical directory of wrestlers/promoters, and each wrestler had his own page with a comment box/guestbook. I'm guessing Herb's ex left the comment above randomly on Herb's guestbook.

loving bizarre.
"He invested everything he had in that show, and it was a great show. But the MGM is a huge venue, and he didn't get the ticket sales he needed to make his money back. Even though he sold some 3000 tickets, he needed to sell 5000 just to break even."

I have the Nevada State Athletic Commission file for Blackjack Brawl, which, like any event file they have, has the event's "Club Report," a detailed breakdown of the tickets sold and circulated including price tiers.

There were 640 tickets sold to the UWF Blackjack Brawl for a gate of $13,362.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Was Herb Abrams the guy who said "let's hear it for the jews?"

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

mariooncrack posted:

Was Herb Abrams the guy who said "let's hear it for the jews?"

Yeah, at Blackjack Brawl.

It's not on the broadcast, so Foley must have heard him say it during a commercial break

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/DarkSideOfRing/status/1246954359914717184?s=20

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Apr 6, 2020