Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

The gathering came together like a creek in spring, flowing bit by bit until some kind of unseen threshold was crossed and then all at once. Some came to the castle by intention, across great distance and with dire purpose, and others found themselves there by chance. The result would be the same, in the days to come both parties felt cursed, whether by their own foolish action or happenstance of fate. In time all are wounded and the cause can be considered again and again and again without result, but what else is there to do? I have no better purpose, so I will begin.

Knapp’s Castle lies in the Santa Ynez Mountain, which lies within the Transverse Ranges, which lies within California, and that hopefully is enough. Where there is life it is usually chaparral and sage scrub, a kind of muddy green that paints the landscape in large impressionist strokes. The summers are warm and usually, I say again usually, rainless. Chaparral is highly fire resilient, which was likely of little comfort to Frances Holden, who owned the mansion for about five weeks before she was burned alive there in 1940. We may mourn Ms. Holden, but Knapp Castle refused to die. Its foundations and pillars and walls remain intact, sandstone bones laid bare. Reconstruction was started in 1970 and again in 1995 and again in 2009, but each time efforts were halted by lack of funding or lack of permits or sudden death, like a body rejecting a transplant Knapp Castle rejected any efforts to restore it. The resulting effort which we come to now is something of a hodgepodge promethean, coming together to approximate what you could loosely call a mansion. We shall call it a castle for reasons that will become clear.

However, this story is not a history of Knapp Castle, or George Owen Knapp, or Union Carbide, or Lotte Lehmann, or opera. This is a story of what happened when I arrived at the castle, and the horror that followed.

(art by emily carroll)

hello and welcome.

this is a game of Mafia for fifteen players. this game will be an unconventional setup with unconventional roles, but the focus will be on posting and ideally not night-action mafia.

1. Bifauxnen (she/her but I don't care if you gently caress it up )
  2. CirclMastr
  3. Deadbeat Dad
  4. dmboogie (he/him)
  5. Grandicap (He, Him)
  6. Hal Incandenza (he/him/hal)
  7. ilmucche
  8. Infinitum (Call me anything you like...just don't call me late for dinner! ha cha cha~)
  9. Kashuno
  10. Moatillata (moat/vote)
  11. Mr. Humalong (w/e)
  12. Retro Futurist (He/him/opop)
  13. Sandwolf (He/Him)
  14. Toalpaz (THEY THEM)
  15. Yami Fenrir

the dearly departed
Mr. Humalong, THE COUNTESS OF CASTLE KNAPP, Castle-Aligned Killer-Joat, was executed day one!
Grandicap, Erica Slaughter, House of Slaughter Aligned Ninja disappeared night one!
Kashuno, Lenny Marks, Town Smokescreen was executed day two!
Retro Futurist, Phil Voss, Town Rolecop disappeared night two!
Deadbeat Dad, Oedipa Cohen, Town Night-Marker vanished night two!
Moatilla, Carl Perez, Town Watcher went missing night two!

The rules of Mafia, so far as I remember them, are as follows.

I. Don't be a dick. If someone asks you to chill out, please chill out. This is Fun. We're having Fun.
II. Any out-of-thread communication should never be posted in this thread. If I said something to you, clarified a question, or gave you specific information, you cannot copy it directly to this thread. The same goes for any out of thread communication with other players. If you are a Mason, you cannot post your chatlogs itt. That said, feel free to paraphrase.
III. Do not fake day actions.
IV. Oddly enough, you are actually free to keep posting in the event of a day action.
V. Don't Toxx, although I think the last person to do that was Jose back in like, 2008.
VI. This is less a rule and more a gentle caution, but please to do not read too much into flavor. If you are, one of us has likely made a mistake, and I'm guessing it's you.
VII. Do not post :siren: anything :siren: itt after you die other than 'Go Town' or 'Go Scum' without clearing it with me first. I know someone is not going to read this one but seriously do not do not do not do not.
VIII. Please do not lurk. Lurkers will be a free lunch after one(1) warning if they fall below the threshold of 10 posts a day. This is subject to my discretion, no replacements after day two without darn good reasons.
IX. Discord is required.

New players are welcome to play.

Days will be short.

I will be ready to start this game on this coming Monday, presuming we have enough players by then. I don't want to do a weekend start.

Somberbrero fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Apr 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

I would like to play.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
I would like to spectate this game.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

put me in boss

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Ok I am IN this is the first time I'm actually playing a Somber game so I'm super excited

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Me omw to shitpost D1:
https://i.imgur.com/AoNwgWY.mp4

(Also I am getting better now and should be cool to play by the time this fills.)

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

CapitalistPig posted:

I would like to spectate this game.

^^

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I would like to go to the castle

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
This is a really good setup and folks should play it. I'm very excited to see how it shakes out!

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Podima posted:

This is a really good setup and folks should play it. I'm very excited to see how it shakes out!

Thanks for the endorsement and your help with set-up 🥰

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Mmmm... gently caress.

Okay. Yeah, signup.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Sure I'll play.

It'll go as poorly for me as it usually does but what the hell.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

I will play if Jen does

Or even if she doesn’t, but I want to make it known Jen should play

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Mr. Humalong posted:

I will play if Jen does

Or even if she doesn’t, but I want to make it known Jen should play

I don't know if I have the power to make Jen play. Jen, do you want to play? You should play Jen.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Oh god you were right we only just arrived and already the posting is horrible

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh man i want to butttttt im in 2 active games already.

put me down as a maybe.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Mr. Steak posted:

oh man i want to butttttt im in 2 active games already.

put me down as a maybe.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
i would like to play :pensive:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I've never played forums mafia before. Is this going to be super complicated or do I mostly just shitpost and fling baseless accusations at people?

As in I'd like to play but don't want to gently caress the game up

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

ilmucche posted:

I've never played forums mafia before. Is this going to be super complicated or do I mostly just shitpost and fling baseless accusations at people?

You're totally welcome to play, don't worry about loving anything up. Just post and don't post any private communication and you're good.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

ilmucche posted:

that is exactly how you play forums mafia

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

ilmucche posted:

Just do whatever I tell you to and you’ll be fine

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
I've been held in guantanamo bay but they let me out due to corona virus and now it is time for me to play mafia good evening everyone

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Whoah hi Moat!

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

Bifauxnen posted:

Whoah hi Moat!

:cheers:

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
I demanded that pod make a shine game set during the Spanish flu epidemic for my return to mafia BUT APPARENTLY that was too

:airquote: insensitive :airquote:

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Moatillata posted:

I demanded that pod make a shine game set during the Spanish flu epidemic for my return to mafia BUT APPARENTLY that was too

:airquote: insensitive :airquote:

Some of us had distant ancestors that lived through that, ok

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
Can we get this game going? Everyone confirm and let's goooooo

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

Mr. Humalong posted:

:rip:

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
yay hi moat :toot:

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

Somberbrero posted:

yay hi moat :toot:

:whatup:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Jeez don't go copclaiming already!

Or wait that was the dog one wasn't it

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

Bifauxnen posted:

Jeez don't go copclaiming already!

Or wait that was the dog one wasn't it

Shhhhh don't tell these new people my secrets bif

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Mr. Humalong posted:

My grandfather died during the Spanish flu.

He fell out of a guard tower

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Retro Futurist posted:

My grandfather died during the Spanish flu.

He fell out of a guard tower

guess he flu, in a way

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

put me down to play although gosh I hope this doesn't start while my other game is going

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

Mr. Humalong posted:

guess he flu, in a way

:emptyquote:

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
I'm down.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
... alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Quarantine has me doing weird things like signing up for mafia games