Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

cheese eats mouse posted:

I have some jeans that are getting frayed in the thigh area and not sure how to reinforce it or what technique/hand stitch to use. It's a run across the fabric and nowhere near a seam. Most videos I find are for sewing machines and stuff that's already ripped. They're black and on the inner thigh so I'm not too concerned about it looking perfect. They're also about 30% stretch, don't know if that makes a difference.

My hand sewing knowledge so far is holes made in fine woolens and socks. I know how to weave those together and was going to use that technique, but it's a 1.5-2" run so I don't know if that is the best solution for that much work.

Lengthy post about the mechanics of fabric repair

Sounds like the fabric is just starting to wear out, in which case your best option is to patch it rather than just sew it up. Use a ladder stitch to sew up any actual holes if there is one, and then place a patch over/behind the bad part and sew it on. The more stitches you put into the patch the stronger it's going to be, so you probably just want to quilt it with running stitches after you get it sewn on for a little extra support.

Thread Title: End the disposable fashion machine. The revolution starts with your rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Thanks for the replies!

I don’t really have any extra fabric. Maybe I’ll just let them wear out and make them into frayed shorts for the summer once the hole shows + use the legs to reinforce my new ones since I already got a replacement pair.

Can I just do a back stitch to stop them from fraying too much?

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Mar 30, 2020

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Don't have any old clothes or linens you can can sacrifice to for a patch?

It's not as strong without a patch, but yes, you can just darn over the bad spot a bunch to make it more secure. I'd probably use a running stitch rather than back, but I can't think of any big reason to prefer one over the other. Just make sure your stitches extend from where the fabric is in better condition, over the bad spot, and back to good again.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Oh I meant for when I inevitably sacrifice them to the shorts gods.

And I don't. NYC apartments aren't nice to people with hobbies. :(

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I need an N95 mask so I can repair my sewing machine, it's full of some kind of industrial lube that smells like death

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Can go for a good respirator that's rated for oil and vapors, those are super nice to have around for painting and sanding.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Killingyouguy! posted:

I need an N95 mask so I can repair my sewing machine, it's full of some kind of industrial lube that smells like death

You don't need an N95 for that, just a respirator capable of blocking vapors and particulates. Not that you'll be able to find one because people panic bought the wrong thing weeks ago. What you can do is seal your machine up in a case with some cat litter or baking soda to soak up the smell for a few days. After that douse it in enough kerosene that you can't small anything else and let it break down the old oils.

HodjasBitch
Apr 24, 2003

Too bad you revealed what a huge asshole you are so early in the game.....I woulda put out.
Fun Shoe

there wolf posted:

Is that terry cloth on the kimono top? I'm impressed. It all looks pretty cute.

Heh, I bought a six pack of bar towels to make the bunny and maybe some burp cloths. Then, I thought it would be fun to make the kimono reversible with two pairs of pants to match, one of the toweling, one is a red dragon scale fabric I already had. The piping was not so awful until I got to the wee arm hems. Hooray for white bias tape.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

As long as it's just a smell, just smear some vick's under your nose

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

PSA: If you're sewing face masks, don't forget to pre-wash your fabric.

I ended up with a poo poo-ton of quilting cotton leftovers from my mom and decided to whip up some masks, not stopping to consider if any of it had been pre-washed. It had not and now I have a comically small mask.

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.

Bingo Bango posted:

I ended up with a poo poo-ton of quilting cotton leftovers from my mom and decided to whip up some masks, not stopping to consider if any of it had been pre-washed. It had not and now I have a comically small mask.

Thank you for the timely reminder! I was just setting up my machine to start on a few masks, but now I'm just waiting on the laundry.

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Alive to the universe; dead to the world.
Weird question that I've had for forever now. I bought some fancy Gingher scissors, and exclusively cut fabric with them. If ANY lint gets between the blades, it is so hard to open and close them. So basically ANY fabric I cut is a miserable experience. But I bought the fancy scissors so cutting fabric would be nicer. Any one else run in to this? Maybe the tightness of the bolt is wrong?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

cloudy posted:

Weird question that I've had for forever now. I bought some fancy Gingher scissors, and exclusively cut fabric with them. If ANY lint gets between the blades, it is so hard to open and close them. So basically ANY fabric I cut is a miserable experience. But I bought the fancy scissors so cutting fabric would be nicer. Any one else run in to this? Maybe the tightness of the bolt is wrong?

New scissors are typically pretty stiff. You can try lubricating the bolt, and if that doesn't help then just take a screwdriver and loosen it just a little.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Bingo Bango posted:

How comically small? Child-sized? I ask for myself, who is the size of an average 11-year old and for whom adult-sized masks don't really fit.

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

effika posted:

How comically small? Child-sized? I ask for myself, who is the size of an average 11-year old and for whom adult-sized masks don't really fit.

It like, mostly fits over my face, but the pleats I put in are really tight and the elastic is now barely able to stretch over my ears so after about 5 minutes the whole thing is trying to jump off of my face.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
The CDC telling people to wear home made fabric masks makes every single fat quarter I ever impulse bought justified. I've made 16 masks so far and I have 8 more almost done. Eventually I will have to buy more fat quarters to replenish my stash, which will also be justified.

Edit: I did not impulse buy ribbon or elastic so now I'm trying to figure out how to make ties out of... something.

HelloIAmYourHeart fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 5, 2020

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

You can harvest a lot of elastic out of bungee cords or grommet them and use laces

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

The CDC telling people to wear home made fabric masks makes every single fat quarter I ever impulse bought justified. I've made 16 masks so far and I have 8 more almost done. Eventually I will have to buy more fat quarters to replenish my stash, which will also be justified.

Edit: I did not impulse buy ribbon or elastic so now I'm trying to figure out how to make ties out of... something.

Everywhere seems to be out of elastic, but this pattern suggested using the thicker hair elastics. Should be a little easier to find.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I ended up cutting strips from a camisole that I think was supposed to be some kind of shapewear. It was very stretchy and didn't fray or ravel at all.

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

I've actually been having trouble getting a good fit with elastic - no matter what I do I never seem to have cut it to the right length, but maybe my face is just weird for testing for fit? I think I'm going to have to switch to my stash of bias binding for some easy ties before I loose my mind.

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I ended up cutting strips from a camisole that I think was supposed to be some kind of shapewear. It was very stretchy and didn't fray or ravel at all.

This is a brilliant idea.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Bingo Bango posted:

I've actually been having trouble getting a good fit with elastic - no matter what I do I never seem to have cut it to the right length, but maybe my face is just weird for testing for fit? I think I'm going to have to switch to my stash of bias binding for some easy ties before I loose my mind.

This is a brilliant idea.

T shirts (or T shirt fabric) should work too.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I think it might also depend on how the elastic is attached. I didn't care for the ear loops, so I did my elastic like this (images from Craft Passion). One big adjustable loop that you can slide around to fit your head. Much more comfortable and easier to fit--if the elastic/fabric strip is too long, you can just tie a knot in it.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

That's a much better design than something that goes around your ears. I normally wear a n95 or better when dyeing yarn and the straps go around the back of my head like that design. Anything that rubs your skin can't be worn any appreciable length of time.

Just a PSA: when you take off the mask, you need to pull it off from the back and throw it directly into the washer. Touching the front of the mask will transfer any viral particles from the mask which then contaminate your hands and anything it comes into contact with.

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Alive to the universe; dead to the world.
I've just been cutting four 16 x 1.5 inch strips from the material I am using.... Then turning those into straps, attached at each corner of the mask. (Like this lady suggests: https://thecraftyquilter.com/2020/03/versatile-face-mask-pattern-and-tutorial/ )

Then you tie the straps behind your head. Though admittedly it's a lot more time and work.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Carbon Thief posted:

Everywhere seems to be out of elastic, but this pattern suggested using the thicker hair elastics. Should be a little easier to find.

I did this pattern for a bunch of kids, my family and co workers and it fits super well with the hair ties. The mask allows for slight modifications on length to make it fit better.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Has anyone here thought about selling these masks on SA-Mart? I have been using some disposable surgical masks I bought for a Halloween costume but I'd rather pick up some reusable ones, help out any goon I can and donate what I have to someone who can use these instead.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 6, 2020

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

BonerGhost posted:

That's a much better design than something that goes around your ears. I normally wear a n95 or better when dyeing yarn and the straps go around the back of my head like that design. Anything that rubs your skin can't be worn any appreciable length of time.

Just a PSA: when you take off the mask, you need to pull it off from the back and throw it directly into the washer. Touching the front of the mask will transfer any viral particles from the mask which then contaminate your hands and anything it comes into contact with.

I mean, a more important PSA is that the virus is more likely to get in through your eyes, and the purpose of these masks is to keep you from infecting other people if you're an asymptotic or presymptomatic carrier.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I would make lots of masks, but my sewing table has become my work from home office desk, so I can only sew on the weekends because I have to take apart my work setup.

A bunch of guys I went to high school with are on Facebook having a discussion about not being able to wear masks because they are black, and the possibility of getting arrested/shot seems more dangerous than getting the virus. I asked one of them if he thought a colorful printed mask would help, and he said he didn't think so. It's just terrible.

Jezebel
Sep 6, 2004

Skal!

FCKGW posted:

Has anyone here thought about selling these masks on SA-Mart? I have been using some disposable surgical masks I bought for a Halloween costume but I'd rather pick up some reusable ones, help out any goon I can and donate what I have to someone who can use these instead.

Yeah, this. I can't sew for poo poo and only own a single bandanna. I have surgical masks, but I work in the hospital and prefer to save them for that and not waste them getting groceries. I'd rather support some fellow goons than attempt to buy randomly online. Or, if no one here wants to sell, does anyone know reliable people who are? None of my friends or friends-of-friends can craft either :xd:

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Please sell masks! Or post people who are doing good work.

Otherwise I have to try to solve this mess on my limited time at home. Please help, thread!

I got out my sewing machine after about a year and I apparently don't remember how to use it. I replaced the needle, have threaded and rethreaded multiple times (with YouTube help), but cannot seem to get anything but skipped stitches and bird nests out of it. I remember that there was something non-standard that I needed to do when getting the bobbin thread in place, but I can't remember what. (Singer Heavy Duty 4423)

Any tips on what I can try next?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Did ya clean that sucker? My guess is you've got all kinds of dust and lint wherever the bobbin sits.

Try a blast of canned air and try changing top and bobbin thread.

E: I have that machine but I've never had bird's nests that bad, or any skipped stitches. The bobbin can be a bit fiddly to get in and pulled up properly, but if you've YouTubed it idk what you could be doing wrong off the top of my head

E2: I can try to make a video tomorrow when I sew if you think that might help

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Apr 9, 2020

effika
Jun 19, 2005

BonerGhost posted:

Did ya clean that sucker? My guess is you've got all kinds of dust and lint wherever the bobbin sits.

Try a blast of canned air and try changing top and bobbin thread.

E: I have that machine but I've never had bird's nests that bad, or any skipped stitches. The bobbin can be a bit fiddly to get in and pulled up properly, but if you've YouTubed it idk what you could be doing wrong off the top of my head

E2: I can try to make a video tomorrow when I sew if you think that might help

Gave it some canned air and didn't see great improvement, but it did sound a little better.

I think I finally got it working. For some reason when I thread the bobbin thread if I follow the illustration on the lid it doesn't work, but if I get the thread going further along the little groove it seems to do ok? I got a decent line of stitches out of it at least.

Please do make the bobbin video! I never get the bobbin thread pulled up right on the first try and seeing it happen would be very helpful.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Jezebel: I'd be willing to make you a mask this weekend, if you like. I'm guillotine class and it's the least I could do to support somebody working at a hospital. The ones I've been making are from the craft passion pattern, with the pocket for any extra filtering layer you want to put in and a pocket for a nose wire to keep it up against your face, and casings along the side for elastic or ties. Trying to attach a photo to this post to show you what it looks like.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

effika posted:

Gave it some canned air and didn't see great improvement, but it did sound a little better.

I think I finally got it working. For some reason when I thread the bobbin thread if I follow the illustration on the lid it doesn't work, but if I get the thread going further along the little groove it seems to do ok? I got a decent line of stitches out of it at least.

Please do make the bobbin video! I never get the bobbin thread pulled up right on the first try and seeing it happen would be very helpful.

How’s your thread tension? I know I’ve had plenty of bird’s nest nightmares from loose bobbin tension, esp w heavier fabrics like it looks like you have going on

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

effika posted:

Might be the tension on the bobbin case itself that's hosed up, and threading it differently compensates for that.

Jezebel
Sep 6, 2004

Skal!

DominoKitten posted:

Jezebel: I'd be willing to make you a mask this weekend, if you like. I'm guillotine class and it's the least I could do to support somebody working at a hospital. The ones I've been making are from the craft passion pattern, with the pocket for any extra filtering layer you want to put in and a pocket for a nose wire to keep it up against your face, and casings along the side for elastic or ties. Trying to attach a photo to this post to show you what it looks like.

It's so pretty and shaped! I'd love one, and I'm also bourgeois scum so I don't mind tossing you money for effort/material/shipping. Shoot me a PM :)

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

effika posted:

IDK if you saw these, but their production values are quite a bit better than mine, lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFow587ytqA

The only thing my video is good for is pointing out where the bobbin tension hook is, but here it is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uniJOE2vFTQ

E: and of course the throat plate on mine is all chewed up, that's why my thread kept snarling

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 10, 2020

effika
Jun 19, 2005

BonerGhost posted:

IDK if you saw these, but their production values are quite a bit better than mine, lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFow587ytqA

The only thing my video is good for is pointing out where the bobbin tension hook is, but here it is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uniJOE2vFTQ

E: and of course the throat plate on mine is all chewed up, that's why my thread kept snarling

I did see the Sewing Mastery video, yes. I also very much appreciate your video confirming what it said!

there wolf posted:

Might be the tension on the bobbin case itself that's hosed up, and threading it differently compensates for that.

theflyingexecutive posted:

How’s your thread tension? I know I’ve had plenty of bird’s nest nightmares from loose bobbin tension, esp w heavier fabrics like it looks like you have going on

That's just a summerweight cotton broadcloth, not a particularly thick fabric. Phone got confused on it.

I think you all must be right that my bobbin tension isn't right. I have to thread it past the second metal bit, not bring it between them, to stop getting bird nests.

My manual tells me helpfully that correct bobbin tension is set at the factory. :downs:

Found this video on adjusting bobbin tension, will report if it works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FI23OOjVMw

Edit: Yep, that video did it! 1/4 turn tighter and all is right with the world of effika's bobbin tension problems. This is going to make my pants-hemming go so much quicker, now that I won't have to remember that the bobbin illustration is "wrong" and figure out how to do it "right" every six months.

Going to try my own cloth mask this weekend. My friend's mom made me one, but she used bias tape for ties. I wore it at work all day today and the complete lack of give of the bias tape was awful. If I give up on a full mask I'll just cut up an old t-shirt for the ties, or find my lace-weight yarn and do like a yard of i-cord so I have something with a bit of give to it. I hate ear-loop elastic masks, but our bottom-of-the-barrel tie-on surgical masks use some remarkably comfortable material for the ties and I want to get close to that if i can.

effika fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Apr 10, 2020

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

effika posted:

I did see the Sewing Mastery video, yes. I also very much appreciate your video confirming what it said!

That's just a summerweight cotton broadcloth, not a particularly thick fabric. Phone got confused on it.

I think you all must be right that my bobbin tension isn't right. I have to thread it past the second metal bit, not bring it between them, to stop getting bird nests.

My manual tells me helpfully that correct bobbin tension is set at the factory. :downs:

Found this video on adjusting bobbin tension, will report if it works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FI23OOjVMw

E: I'm glad you figured it out! Also thanks for sharing the video, I'll probably need it soon

I'm really skeptical that it's your bobbin tension, especially if it was fine the last time you used it or got it out of the box. They can loosen up over time, but that huge of a difference makes me think it's something else. Not saying it's not possible for it to be screwed up, because it def can be, but everything I can find on getting birds nests says it means your top thread isn't threaded through all the tensioners. It happened to me earlier when I was troubleshooting my machine before shooting that video, I rethreaded and it corrected it.

Not sure if you've seen the other Sewing Mastery vids but she notes you need to have the take up lever in the topmost position and presser foot up when you thread to be sure you catch the tension discs. You can test for correct threading if you put the presser foot down (without catching the thread under it) and tugging on the top thread bends the needle.

The only other thing I can think of is old/bad thread, a badly wound bobbin, or the needle not being inserted correctly/far enough in (flat part toward the back). If you haven't already, maybe pull off the throat plate and check that nothing is caught in there/blow the dust out, and that the opening on the plate is nice and smooth?

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005

BonerGhost posted:

E: I'm glad you figured it out! Also thanks for sharing the video, I'll probably need it soon

I'm really skeptical that it's your bobbin tension, especially if it was fine the last time you used it or got it out of the box. They can loosen up over time, but that huge of a difference makes me think it's something else. Not saying it's not possible for it to be screwed up, because it def can be, but everything I can find on getting birds nests says it means your top thread isn't threaded through all the tensioners. It happened to me earlier when I was troubleshooting my machine before shooting that video, I rethreaded and it corrected it.

Not sure if you've seen the other Sewing Mastery vids but she notes you need to have the take up lever in the topmost position and presser foot up when you thread to be sure you catch the tension discs. You can test for correct threading if you put the presser foot down (without catching the thread under it) and tugging on the top thread bends the needle.

The only other thing I can think of is old/bad thread, a badly wound bobbin, or the needle not being inserted correctly/far enough in (flat part toward the back). If you haven't already, maybe pull off the throat plate and check that nothing is caught in there/blow the dust out, and that the opening on the plate is nice and smooth?

Oh yeah no it never worked right out of the box.

I thought sewing was really hard when I got this machine because of how much I had to try threading the bobbin before I got it to work right by accident one time. I just thought that was how machine sewing with an entry-level Singer was- incorrect directions and a needlessly fiddly process.

When it worked fine the last time I used it that was because I hadn't forgotten how to thread the bobbin in a way that wasn't the correct way, but made the bird nests go away.

When it worked fine last night it was only after remembering that I shouldn't follow Singer's directions, after so much trouble with threading the bobbin their way.

After adjusting the bobbin tension screw I can thread it correctly per Singer and I haven't had any issues with it.

(I always forget how to thread the top thread so I watch a YouTube video every time - I think everything was in the right places.)