Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
When I finish this (I'm slow. Halfway through the police station atm at around 2hrs15 on the actual clock) I'm quite looking forward to the store. I'm eyeing up the hotdogger like Chris eyes up boulders, is it any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I tried it out and was able to knife a hunter beta to death with it with little difficulty. Yeah its good

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Do both Carlos and Jill get access to the stuff you buy that would be relevant? No reason why he would want the bolt cutters for example but everything else would be somewhat useful I guess.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

thebardyspoon posted:

Do both Carlos and Jill get access to the stuff you buy that would be relevant? No reason why he would want the bolt cutters for example but everything else would be somewhat useful I guess.

Carlos finds the extra packs right near his first save point and has access to everything else except the Lockpick and Bolt Cutters.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Carlos finds the extra packs right near his first save point and has access to everything else except the Lockpick and Bolt Cutters.

Excellent, cheers. Might replay this soon and will need to decide which things to unlock first. Found his hospital visit the toughest part of the game so that influences things somewhat.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Isn't the original Resident Evil 3 seen as the black sheep of the original trilogy? Like being as good as the other two?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Isn't the original Resident Evil 3 seen as the black sheep of the original trilogy? Like being as good as the other two?
I don't know if black sheep is the way to call it, but it is generally considered the weakest of the original trilogy.

Still better than Code Veronica, though.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

yeah re3 would probably be thought of a lot worse if CV had not come out

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Finished Nightmare, and my thoughts are conflicted. On the one hand, it's clearly designed by someone with a sick sense of humor looking at all the bizarre and trollish enemy placements (like lickers in the hospital) and that rules. I don't remember seeing them in Hardcore so there are "new" enemies: Tentacle Pale Heads and Tentacle Armored Zombies. It's hilarious.

On the other hand, the last two bosses are extreme bullshit. The first, Nemesis in the waste disposal, I had an extremely hard time both tracking the boss and making sure the zombies don't overwhelm me (by the way, Pale Heads spawn here in Nightmare lmao) and once Carlos hints to you about where the boss is, it's too late to do anything about it if you don't already have a bead on the boss. I think I won thanks to luck alone. I died maybe 20 times here, almost entirely due to zombies.

Somehow, the next boss was worse. Railgun Nemesis leaves no room for error. If you get hit by almost any attack, you won't get up in time to dodge the followup attack and you just die. The first time I died, immediately after the cutscene and I gained control, within a second an attack hit me, the followup inevitably hit me. There is no other way to avoid these attacks except to perfect dodge and thanks to its speed the window is extremely tight. And you have to make all of them or you die. I could only beat this after like 30 tries thanks to some of the bonus items like the manual that increases the dodge window and the Rai-DEN. Each of those tries were very aggravating because it's over a minute between dying and getting back to the part of the boss where you fight it.

If one of the requirements to S-Rank is to not use the bonus items, then I have no idea if I have the chops to do this legit. It is actually difficult.

And then Inferno is harder than this? Color me intrigued, but the last hour of Nightmare was extremely frustrating.`

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
It sounds as if the meme top difficulties are designed around absolutely maximizing use of the dodge.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Bonus items don't negate S-Rank. Just grind out enough points for the Rocket Launcher and you'll decimate the game lol.

That last Nemesis fight is still kind of bullshit even with the Rocket Launcher though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SettingSun posted:

Finished Nightmare, and my thoughts are conflicted. On the one hand, it's clearly designed by someone with a sick sense of humor looking at all the bizarre and trollish enemy placements (like lickers in the hospital) and that rules. I don't remember seeing them in Hardcore so there are "new" enemies: Tentacle Pale Heads and Tentacle Armored Zombies. It's hilarious.

On the other hand, the last two bosses are extreme bullshit. The first, Nemesis in the waste disposal, I had an extremely hard time both tracking the boss and making sure the zombies don't overwhelm me (by the way, Pale Heads spawn here in Nightmare lmao) and once Carlos hints to you about where the boss is, it's too late to do anything about it if you don't already have a bead on the boss. I think I won thanks to luck alone. I died maybe 20 times here, almost entirely due to zombies.

Somehow, the next boss was worse. Railgun Nemesis leaves no room for error. If you get hit by almost any attack, you won't get up in time to dodge the followup attack and you just die. The first time I died, immediately after the cutscene and I gained control, within a second an attack hit me, the followup inevitably hit me. There is no other way to avoid these attacks except to perfect dodge and thanks to its speed the window is extremely tight. And you have to make all of them or you die. I could only beat this after like 30 tries thanks to some of the bonus items like the manual that increases the dodge window and the Rai-DEN. Each of those tries were very aggravating because it's over a minute between dying and getting back to the part of the boss where you fight it.

If one of the requirements to S-Rank is to not use the bonus items, then I have no idea if I have the chops to do this legit. It is actually difficult.

And then Inferno is harder than this? Color me intrigued, but the last hour of Nightmare was extremely frustrating.`

Inferno is harder but not like overwhelmingly harder. You have fewer resources/item boxes and enemies are even more aggro and do even more damage.

Discendo Vox posted:

It sounds as if the meme top difficulties are designed around absolutely maximizing use of the dodge.

They were. You can theoretically get through them without using dodge but you are massively handicapping yourself. If you don't have Perfect Dodge at least somewhat down by the time you reach Nightmare's end boss you're going to have a miserable time.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

I don't know if black sheep is the way to call it, but it is generally considered the weakest of the original trilogy.

Why?

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

I pre-ordered R3make the moment it was available for sale on Steam. Game has been super tight so far and I've been enjoying it. I got to the warehouse underneath the hospital before I had to trawl off to the rear end end of Kochi Prefecture on a business trip and my laptop isn't anywhere near good enough to handle the game so I'll have something to look forward to when I get back.

I actually like how they've rearranged things around. The beginning of the game evoking RE7 with the forced first person was a nice touch. The power substation spider section was genuinely unnerving. Also I honestly don't miss things such as the removal of the clock tower section due to the spiders and that, again, the pacing and feel is much better than it was in the original. Though there was no indication beforehand that if you don't bring the grenade launcher to the clock tower fight, you're going to have a rough time so that was slightly annoying, and I say this as someone who did the flamethrower fight with only the handgun.

Regarding complaints about the length of the game: Resident Evil has always had a speedrunning element built into it. RE6 is probably the biggest outlier in this regard just because it was so damned long. Also, we just came off of RE2make which controls 100% the same outside of the dodge so we know how to play already from the start as opposed to having to get used to everything again (my first playthrough of R2make, Leon 1st Run, was a bumbling disaster that I even missed the Magnum in and just barely got over the finish line).

You know how in R2make the gas prices are period-accurate? Something I thought was an inaccuracy but in fact was the dev team having done the research that I had no idea about until I checked it on Wikipedia: When you get the vaccine to Jill, Carlos and Tyrell get hit with an Emergency Alert System broadcast that the city will imminently be nuked. I thought "no way that's right, it was still the Emergency Broadcast System in '98", but the EAS actually superseded the EBS in 1997. I'll be damned, somehow I never experienced an EAS broadcast once it was implemented until years later (the fact that I was mostly watching cable by then, and didn't watch broadcast TV at all after getting into university the next year probably helped this even though the EBS signal/announcements are permanently burned into my brain). Good job devs!

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The Resident Evil modding scene sucks because everyone's so busy making horny stuff that no one has yet to replace Nemesis's theme song with this

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It was basically made as a side game while they were putting focus on RE:CV and so it had a noticably lower budget, a fair amount of recycling from the previous game, and honestly didn't advance or develop the story in any real way.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
theres no recycling in og re3 aside from 5 rooms of the rpd. that you are in for 10mins total of the entire game, and maybe the dogs. everything else is original assets. its a common myth tho.

it was a side game, supposed to be a random civilian and the whole game ended at the clock tower lol. if i recall i think it was sony pressure that made them rework it into officially being a 3 since that hunk game for the ps2 that was gonna be re3 was going no where and sony didnt like the idea of dreamcast and n64 getting their own titles too and the ps1 just having spinoffs. i dunno how true the sony stuff is tho.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I see. Should I feel bad that I only played Resident Evil 3 back in the day?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
.....why would you, it's a great game?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

punk rebel ecks posted:

I see. Should I feel bad that I only played Resident Evil 3 back in the day?

I didn't play the first Resident Evil until long after I played the 2nd. There were tons of games back then that were all worth playing. It's ok to have missed out on some of them.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The original RE3 was my first exposure to the series, and it's still my favorite.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Mulva posted:

.....why would you, it's a great game?

Because I experienced the "worst one" of the trilogy.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
it’s the best of the original three

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The original trilogy is so good that even if you consider it the 'worst' that can still put it up pretty high.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Resident Evil 3, the Dark Souls 2 of the original trilogy.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Bonaventure posted:

just finished the main campaign. initial playthrough took me longer than my initial playthrough of the RE2 remake, probably just because I died a ton.
eager to see the remixed / randomized? enemies. people saying this feels like $20 DLC are morons, this game is insanely detailed and must've cost a fortune to make.
I feel like maybe the DLC comparisons are down to the feel of the gameplay? The lean towards action over exploration makes it more similar to the RE2 bonus stuff like ghost survivors and 4th survivor, and thus people make the association that action focus = DLC. I wonder how people would've felt if there was a "return to downtown" bit like RE2 has the "return to the police station" bit? It'd not actually add much content - like 90% of it is a retread of rooms you've already been in - but it'd slow down the pace of the game and possibly make the exploration bit seem more important.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
I love some of the little music things they did for RE3. The one that took me by surprise was the use of the Biohazard Orchestra version of RE2's save music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rb__6OXZu_E

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Playing Resident Evil 2 for the first time with Remake, I saw Tyrant as a poor imitation of Nemesis.

Did he follow you around the entire building in the original RE2 like he did in REmake 2?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The hunters look fuckin sick in this.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

Playing Resident Evil 2 for the first time with Remake, I saw Tyrant as a poor imitation of Nemesis.

Did he follow you around the entire building in the original RE2 like he did in REmake 2?

In original RE2, he only showed up in B scenario and was much more scripted than Nemesis. Original Mr X kinda sucked, which is why people were so delighted with the remake making him something memorable.

veni veni veni posted:

The hunters look fuckin sick in this.

Hunters were always my fav monster, and the way Beta's weird mandibles just blast off as you shoot them is so cool.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah they were my favorite as a kid. They were always the most intimidating RE monster until regenerator imo.

Also this game needs a drat grenade arc indicator

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The death animation for dying to a tentacle zombie grab is horrifying and has serious Dead Space vibes.

The parasite transfers itself into Jill’s head and she stumbles around like the zombies do.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the big feature of nemesis in 3 was that he could go through doors. he didn't actually do so that often, and he wouldn't really chase you too far. now that doors aren't loading screens that ability has lost all of its significance, naturally.

in 2, x's big event was attacking you in a small room, being seemingly killed, and then immediately bursting through a wall when you pass through the corridor outside. it was very neat at the time, but it was still just one of the jump scares the early games relied on.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the big feature of nemesis in 3 was that he could go through doors. he didn't actually do so that often, and he wouldn't really chase you too far. now that doors aren't loading screens that ability has lost all of its significance, naturally.

This made me poo poo my pants as a kid.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I think what made Mr X so good and memorable was that he never felt unfair. Aside from accelerated movement when he was really far from the player, he has to follow all the same rules that you as the player do. So if you’re on the upper level of the RPD main hall and he spots you from below, he has to walk all the way up to reach you.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Imo Mr. X was a good thing that got overused and wore out it's welcome before the end. Nemesis is a little more pedestrian and feels completely scripted, but is pretty fun from a cinematic angle. Nemesis gameplay is pretty weak though. He's more annoying than anything. Every part where he was chasing me was super easy but also irritating since I always felt like I was getting randomly slapped. I guess maybe I could have fought against him more to avoid that I dunno. I always try to save ammo if I can in RE so I mostly just ran from him.

Does anyone know if Nemesis actually even has HP in the second boss fight? I felt like the game just waited until I went through every resource I had and then he just decided to go down when I had a few bullets left. Especially since there is no box before that fight it felt like the game was just kind of fudging it.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I enjoyed Mr. X and I liked the original RE3 Nemesis. Haven't played this one yet but after seeing those leaks about RE8 including a "stalker" enemy I kinda hope they decide to chill out on those for a while. That can be a super tense mechanic if used right but if they just start being a thing in every single RE game it's probably gonna become more annoying than anything. 4 games in a row with significant stalker mechanics would probably be pushing it.

Nails
Oct 29, 2004

MALIGNANTLY USELESS
Not sure if anyone else has encountered this yet, but apparently if you die enough times or use the bonus items, you can't get an S rank in hardcore. I'm not sure which thing it is. I beat the game in around 2 hours and 10 minutes, didn't save at all, died 10 times, and was using the infinite ammo AR, the defense and healing coins, the dodge manual, the hip packs, the hot knife, and RAI-DEN. The score it gave me was a B. I'm not super surprised, but I am annoyed that it didn't mention the items blocking above a B rank. Weirdly enough, using RAI-DEN counts as Magnum kills towards that achievement, and using the recovery coins doesn't count against you as a healing item for that achievement. Super weird.

Edit: I figured it out. I didn't notice that the clear times change as you mouse over difficulties. Assisted is 2 hours and 30 minutes, Standard is 2 hours, and Hardcore is 1 hour and 45 minutes. I can't even imagine how that last one would be possible considering I felt like I was hauling rear end through that playthrough and I was passing by a lot of poo poo. That is crazy. Also spoilered unlocks just in case, sorry I spaced on that.

Nails fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Apr 6, 2020

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I enjoyed Mr. X and I liked the original RE3 Nemesis. Haven't played this one yet but after seeing those leaks about RE8 including a "stalker" enemy I kinda hope they decide to chill out on those for a while. That can be a super tense mechanic if used right but if they just start being a thing in every single RE game it's probably gonna become more annoying than anything. 4 games in a row with significant stalker mechanics would probably be pushing it.

Yeah I agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Also everyone always acts like Mr x was some new thing and he's literally just Jack from RE7 even down to the wall breaking jump scares. Alien Isolation also had better stalker mechanics than any RE game, and a bunch of smaller horror games did it before RE too.

E: Unless you count the OG Nemesis I guess. In that sense RE probably pioneered it.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Apr 6, 2020