Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

KoRMaK posted:

Joe is the one paying $100/wk, not doc, I thought.

They both paid extremely poorly, I think Joe's might have been a bit higher than Doc's but he also didn't require his employees to get plastic surgery.

Doc Antle is absolutely the scummiest guy on the show. Jeff Lowe is pretty terrible too, but there isn't as much detail on him. But Doc is just scary, his first appearance made me think "Wow, this guy talks just like some kind of psycho cult leader" and then sure enough...

The main difference between Carol and Joe/Doc is that she doesn't breed cats. So I'd say she's less worse than them in that regard, although she's clearly exploiting both the cats and her "volunteers" in various ways for her own profit. Also, she didn't shoot her husband and then feed him to the tigers, she doused him in sardine oil and then let the tigers do the work for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Much like Tiger King, this is another podcast I listened to that’s been turned into a multipart documentary series. I’m excited:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP9dJPBnSjM

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
SXSW got all their shorts for 2020 posted here

If you're in the mood for some good quick docs, I strongly recommend these ones:

Affurmative Action (4 min)

Broken Orchestra (11 min)

Dieorama (10 min)

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Mahoning posted:

Much like Tiger King, this is another podcast I listened to that’s been turned into a multipart documentary series. I’m excited:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP9dJPBnSjM

This is also in Mind Hunter season 2.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Just found out Lloyd Kaufman went to Yale

(I'm watching Tromaville)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Watched the first two episodes of Tiger King.

What the gently caress?

And it's not yet the juicy bits.

SamLikesCake
Oct 6, 2006

... and he is my navigator.
I would say that Saff’s arm was probably looking pretty juicy to the tiger.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Just found out Lloyd Kaufman went to Yale

(I'm watching Tromaville)

Watching what now? Is there a doc called Tromaville? Where can I watch this?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ruddiger posted:

Watching what now? Is there a doc called Tromaville? Where can I watch this?

Amazon Prime, and yes

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit

Angryhead posted:

IDFA: International Documentary Film Festival Amsterdam offering hundreds of documentaries for free streaming.

I watched Ukrainian Sheriffs last night and it was excellent.

This is a great resource, and I am greatful to you for posting it. Have been working my way through the list

Here's a deeply affecting New York TImes documentary about 2 soldiers - one Iraqi and one Iranian - from the Iraq-Iran War that tells the story of how the Iranian (a 13-year-old child soldier at the time) saved the life of the Iraqi. Almost made me cry
https://www.idfa.nl/en/film/b9d1a5fd-b17c-4ff5-8049-170d674f31e4/my-enemy-my-brother

I'm completely in love with Jade Green Station, about a Chinese city called Bise that evolved very quickly when the French put a railroad track there heading from Vietnam. Its just a perfectly genuine and innocent spotlight of the city with a thousand slices of life, telling a thousand disjoint stories in endearing and original yet understated way. Reminiscent of The Good Earth for me.
https://www.idfa.nl/en/film/3075d8b1-23c6-4678-8c4b-8a9f0c5f9338/jade-green-station

At a minimum, click the Jade Green Station link, click "watch video," and checkout the scene at 16:30 :3:

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
"My Silicon Love"

The classiest documentary about a 50-year-old Brittish man who's in a polyamorous relationship with 12 real dolls that you will see all day.

Sophie Dros
Netherlands
27 min
IDFA Competition for Student Documentary

https://www.idfa.nl/en/film/27a93153-8a44-4227-a463-e208ddce4558/my-silicone-love

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

The Scientist posted:

"My Silicon Love"
Can confirm this is an odd, but excellent documentary.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Is there a thread somewhere on the forum for Tiger King because I imagine people are talking about it but I cannot find a thread anywhere

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The Scientist posted:

"My Silicon Love"

The classiest documentary about a 50-year-old Brittish man who's in a polyamorous relationship with 12 real dolls that you will see all day.
Haven't we made fun of this guy here on SA years ago? I seem to remember this.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
There was a thread that was like "Diary of a Dollfucker" or something, but I didn't know it was the same guy. I am amazed!

My biggest issue with the guy as portrayed in the documentary is that if he is gonna be cramming 2 or more lifeless dolls into his car for spontaneous drives through the country, he needs to spring for a 4 door

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That was Kevin the beet red guy with the girl in a wheelchair he considered his girlfriend and would use her disability checks to buy his rubber wank socks, this doesn't look to be the same guy. Or does Kevin show up as part of the community or something?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The Scientist posted:

There was a thread that was like "Diary of a Dollfucker" or something, but I didn't know it was the same guy. I am amazed!
Is it actually the same guy? I looked that thread up, tons of broken links. The guy in the documentary looks vaguely like midiman, but I only scrubbed through it. The guy in the thread also had plenty of cloth dolls, or whatever you would call them.

--edit: Isn't the same guy. Says he wasn't married. midiman from the thread had wife and kids.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 6, 2020

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
I finally watched the documentary about the rise and fall of Theranos, "The Inventor". It's good, very good. Some random thoughts:

* Elizabeth Holmes is weird. People are quick to read strangeness after the fact (you wonder how all those serial killers, dictators and embezzlers get away with things for so long if their dysfunction is so obvious) but Holmes has a strange slightly stopped walk, awkward arm movements and a series of slightly stiff facial expressions. Every time she's on camera, you're stuck by how strange she acts. She reminds me of Zuckerberg.
* While the Silicon Valley gets some examination, I think SV and startup culture gets off light. How did so many (male) investors and board members ask do few questions? How did Wahlgrens get conned into a shifting deal?
* Dan Ariely the pyschologist makes quite a few appearances, and makes astute observations about a slide into deception and lying to yourself
* I can't understand why there hasn't been a flood of civil law suits about fraudulent test results and unsafe work conditions.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

In Dont gently caress with Cats did they ever find out who the supposed other person was tied to the bed in the Jun Lin video? The show just kinda forgets about it and when they finally catch him is just like "well case closed." Also his defense of someone made me do it is most likely 90% bullshit but it doesnt really go into them investigating it other than saying he lied about getting a phone call and saying its just another basic instinct reference. Maybe the police did actually did look into all that and the show chose to ignore it. Just kinda wish they explored that part further instead of jerking off the facebook dorks more.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

nonathlon posted:

* Elizabeth Holmes is weird. People are quick to read strangeness after the fact (you wonder how all those serial killers, dictators and embezzlers get away with things for so long if their dysfunction is so obvious) but Holmes has a strange slightly stopped walk, awkward arm movements and a series of slightly stiff facial expressions. Every time she's on camera, you're stuck by how strange she acts. She reminds me of Zuckerberg.

I've said it before but when Theranos was the hot thing I felt like I was on crazy pills because nobody in the media was pointing out how obviously fake Holmes's voice was.

The best moment of the documentary is one of Theranos's early investors wearing a loving Bitcoin tie to sit-down interview for the doc.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

banned from Starbucks posted:

In Dont gently caress with Cats did they ever find out who the supposed other person was tied to the bed in the Jun Lin video? The show just kinda forgets about it and when they finally catch him is just like "well case closed."

What other person? I don't remember anything about that.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

I've said it before but when Theranos was the hot thing I felt like I was on crazy pills because nobody in the media was pointing out how obviously fake Holmes's voice was.

It is drat weird, like a valley girl with a frog in her throat. If you heard her speak, you'd be transfixed by it.

I think it was something that everyone ignored ("geniuses, huh?") until the wheels came off Theranos. Then everyone commented on it, to the detriment of all the other things she did. Like, a weird voice is nothing compared to threatening employees, safety violations, fraud, the desperate aping of SV tropes, lying to investors ...

I know a few people doing startups and some of them do have this strange ultra-optimization to their lives: playing podcasts at +50% speed to save time, reading only book summaries, doing "hot" yoga to improve their thinking, scheduling every minute of their day.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

nonathlon posted:

reading only book summaries
Uh, like the back of a book?

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Uh, like the back of a book?

No, there's this whole universe of services that condense books for executives because they "have no time to read". Like 5 page summaries of the latest business tomes and how-to-disrupt best-sellers. I tried a free trial for some books, it was really helpful: I got the broad outline of where they were going and could decide if I did or didn't need to read them. For others, the condensed outlines were just nonsensical garbage and bald assertions. To be fair, maybe that just exposed the original texts.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

MeinPanzer posted:

Only thing I remember is there was another guy in I think the python video.

nonathlon posted:

It is drat weird, like a valley girl with a frog in her throat. If you heard her speak, you'd be transfixed by it.

I think it was something that everyone ignored ("geniuses, huh?") until the wheels came off Theranos. Then everyone commented on it, to the detriment of all the other things she did. Like, a weird voice is nothing compared to threatening employees, safety violations, fraud, the desperate aping of SV tropes, lying to investors ...

I do love how all these masters of the universe like Mattis and Biden and Kissinger and Schultz fell for it.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

MeinPanzer posted:

https://montrealgazette.com/news/national/unknown-man-in-magnottas-apartment-escaped-same-fate-as-lin-jun/amp/

DFWC only mentions it briefly

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is The Inventor the Theranos movie you are talking about?

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

Is The Inventor the Theranos movie you are talking about?

It is

true.spoon
Jun 7, 2012

Kull the Conqueror posted:

SXSW got all their shorts for 2020 posted here

If you're in the mood for some good quick docs, I strongly recommend these ones:

Affurmative Action (4 min)

Broken Orchestra (11 min)

Dieorama (10 min)

The Scientist posted:

"My Silicon Love"

Sophie Dros
Netherlands
27 min
IDFA Competition for Student Documentary

https://www.idfa.nl/en/film/27a93153-8a44-4227-a463-e208ddce4558/my-silicone-love
Excellent recommendations!

Another quick one I enjoyed is Motodrom

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Just watched the malaysian episode of Dirty Money. The highlight was the fact that fugitive investor Jho Low gifted a transparent piano to Miranda Kerr. She then built a room around it which made it impossible to confiscate because the feds couldn't get it out of the door.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
You can't be in a relationship, polyamorous or otherwise, with a doll. I'm not having it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ICHIBAHN posted:

You can't be in a relationship, polyamorous or otherwise, with a doll. I'm not having it.

Not as bad as people who "identify as a plurality", apparently without giving any thought to the ethical and legal nightmare that would become if we let people do that

Mynameismud
Jul 12, 2009
Not so much a documentary more a life story.
Dude buys a boat and sails around the world.
in 4 years
Chasing bubbles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibP5IQxId34&t=2117s

Mynameismud fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 16, 2020

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I watched "Dumb, the story of Big Brother Magazine."

It was excellent. I wish I had read it when it was new. I kept thinking that Hunter S. Thompson would have loved it. They never call it gonzo journalism, but that is basically what it was.

I also watched the doc about the drug scandals in Massachusetts. I forget the name. It was pretty good, too.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Waltzing Along posted:

I watched "Dumb, the story of Big Brother Magazine."

It was excellent. I wish I had read it when it was new. I kept thinking that Hunter S. Thompson would have loved it. They never call it gonzo journalism, but that is basically what it was.

I worked at Larry Flynt Publications back in 1999 and 2000 as my first real job. I worked in the digital dept as a web developer and my primary duties were taking the Quark Xpress files for the monthly issues of all of their magazines and extracting the text and images from them and inserting them into a terrible content management system called StoryServer. Each of us had 3 magazines we handled the websites for. Mine were Asian Fever, Barely Legal, and Tips and Tricks (the video game magazine you probably didn’t realize was a Flynt publication). We also had a duty of encoding the contents of adult video DVDs for streaming purposes, and were in the early days of creating an Internet “tv channel” with some fake news with naked girls called “channel sex news”

One of the guys on my team was in charge of the monthly conversion of Big Brother magazine so while in communication with the magazine guys one day it was revealed that we had a lot of video equipment that was idle most of the time. They had been wanting to start doing some web exclusive videos anyway so for the first one for the website they brought in one of their friends who didn’t work at the magazine, some unknown crazy fucker calling himself Steve-O to film some dumb stunts with firecrackers and back-flipping off the roof of an apartment building into a pool. Instead of being posted on the website this is one of the videos that ended up being part of the demo reel for MTV.

Soon after that I got married and my wife and I moved to Sweden and I lost touch with all of them. When I moved back to the states in 2002 I saw that Jackass was incredibly popular (it hadn’t caught on in Sweden by that point) and was full of guys that were in and out of our department all the time. Of all the new stuff we were working on back then I didn’t think that “filming an idiot doing stupid poo poo” would have been the one to gain mass popularity first. It took a few more years for video streaming to really catch on, magazines were dying, and some other company had beaten us to the punch with “naked news”

Then everyone clapped and that guys name was Albert Einstein. Thanks for listening to my TED talk.

Tl;dr: I was around for the birth of Jackass and no one involved had any idea it would be a thing.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Apr 20, 2020

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

MonsieurChoc posted:

Adam Curtis.

Curtis has been adding a ton of his work onto YouTube lately. I've been slowly making my way through The Century of Self and it's wild.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAWxZyfEPejhGJv8Z4wbKBw

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Fleetwood posted:

Curtis has been adding a ton of his work onto YouTube lately. I've been slowly making my way through The Century of Self and it's wild.

holy poo poo thats his official channel? the custom thumbnails are great

youre on a great track, consume all of his poo poo, everything is wild

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Wrinkles the Clown on Hulu, uh, sure is something

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Probably late on this but I watched OJ: Made in America and was blown away by how good it is after watching the dreck that was The Last Dance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

Fleetwood posted:

Good catch. I was thinking about The Power of NIghtmares and how it's no longer a hypothesis or even surprising, it's the world we live in.