Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

veni veni veni posted:

Also everyone always acts like Mr x was some new thing and he's literally just Jack from RE7 even down to the wall breaking jump scares. Alien Isolation also had better stalker mechanics than any RE game, and a bunch of smaller horror games did it before RE too.

E: Unless you count the OG Nemesis I guess. In that sense RE probably pioneered it.

Jack never hunts you around Molded which is a really big difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

veni veni veni posted:

Also everyone always acts like Mr x was some new thing and he's literally just Jack from RE7 even down to the wall breaking jump scares. Alien Isolation also had better stalker mechanics than any RE game, and a bunch of smaller horror games did it before RE too.

E: Unless you count the OG Nemesis I guess. In that sense RE probably pioneered it.

The xeno from Isolation works quite a bit differently though, when not actively hunting you it despawns and respawns in areas it is needed. Mr X during his segment is a permanent entity on the prowl and depending on your play style you can almost avoid him completely or have him on your rear end constantly.

I think it’s a combination of factors that made him so popular: the overall high quality of the game, the charm of his design (the hat!), DMX and all the memes that followed etc.

If we had YouTube/Twitch/Twitter back when OG RE3 came out I guarantee Nemesis would have gotten a similar reception.

Edit - Forgot to mention as well that the sound design plays a big part. Enemies suddenly smashing through a wall and surprising you is all well and good, but with Mr X you can hear his footsteps getting louder as he gets closer. Even better is when you can hear him outside the room you’re in and is he outside the door? Is he above you? Or is he below you? It’s reminiscent of the motion tracker pinging off in Alien games and you’re panicking because you know something is there but not where that something actually is.

Lord Ludikrous fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Apr 6, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

punk rebel ecks posted:

I see. Should I feel bad that I only played Resident Evil 3 back in the day?
I have lot of fond memories of it as well, because it's the first Resident Evil game I ever got to play.

I rewatched a full playthrough of the game on Youtube just a few days ago and personally? I still think it's good and charming. I can admit to myself that it has a lot of weaknesses compared particularly to Resident Evil 2, though. Resident Evi 2 to Resident Evil 3 was a lot like the current situation with RE2make and RE3make, where the latter just ends up looking much worse than it may really be because the former was just that good. If you came to it fresh, though, and were able to take it entirely on its own merits... well, still pretty good.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The thing that made Mr. X memorable to me was sitting in a safe room nervously trying to tell if the constant thumping of boots outside is coming from upstairs or right outside the door.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah fair enough. I did think Mr. X was cool I just sort of really didn't get all of the hype either. I do think it was pretty well executed but there was a point towards the end where it was so much more annoying than scary. Tbh I liked Jack more, although he was more isolated from the rest of the game as a gameplay thing.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Apr 6, 2020

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Cardiovorax posted:

I have lot of fond memories of it as well, because it's the first Resident Evil game I ever got to play.

Would be interesting to know what order people played the games and if that’s affected their opinion of the latest ones at all.

For me it goes:

RE3 > REmake1 > RE0 > RE2 > RECV > RE4 > RE1 > RE5 > RE6 > RE7 > REmake2 > REmake3.

I am yet to finish CV and 6. Not sure I ever will tbh.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Would be interesting to know what order people played the games and if that’s affected their opinion of the latest ones at all.

For me it goes:

RE3 > REmake1 > RE0 > RE2 > RECV > RE4 > RE1 > RE5 > RE6 > RE7 > REmake2 > REmake3.

Hmm, I really have to think about that for a moment. It has been almost 25 years since I played one of the those for the first time. To me, Resident Evil as a series is kind of just one of those facts of life, like Star Wars. It has always been there. Maybe always will.

I think it goes:
RE3 > RE1 > RE4 > CVX > RE6 > Revelations 2 > RE1make > RE0 > RE7 > RE2Make > RE3make

Roughly, anyway. Can't say how much that influenced my perception, but playing RE4 early probably game me a higher tolerance for action than people who played the early series to death and wanted it to the stay the way it was would have.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I haven't played CV since it came out and I thought it was amazing. I kind of want to go back and see why people hated it so much since I don't even remember much about it and I was like 15 when I played it.

Not wanting to finish RE6 is perfectly understandable.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

I haven't played CV since it came out and I thought it was amazing. I kind of want to go back and see why people hated it so much since I don't even remember much about it. Not wanting to finish RE6 is perfectly understandable.
Large parts of it are incredibly bland and involved multi-stage emblem hunting with literally nothing else at all going on until very nearly the end of the game. It also has the absolute worst and least likable partner character in the entire series. I think that's pretty much enough to do it. I don't think it's hated so much as a very tedious and unfun experience in the memory of a lot of people who played it. I'd put in on a level with Resident Evil 0 that way.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
RE:CV was pretty much the end of the welcome that 'tank controls' had, being the last RE to really do it, I believe, and being the last of its era, so I think on one hand there were a lot of people tired of that style of game. But more than that, I don't remember it for its difficulty but for its overall blandness as an RE game. IMO it was just made for the sake of getting something on Dreamcast.

A lot of the enemies just kind of sucked, Steve genuinely brought down the experience with his complete nonce behavior and writing (Revelations 2, incidentally, while being a game I really didn't like playing, did everything CV tried to do narratively and succeeded) and the locations were boring, pretty much next to all that tedious tribal wetlands stuff in 5 as being some of the weakest areas in the franchise. Alfred and Alexia; the Ashfords in general made for lousy antagonists after the Birkin dynamic, and especially after Nemesis. I don't think they, their island, or their history got the build-up they needed. Then you're in an arctic base wandering around even emptier and more lifeless, insubstantial corridors.

Wesker's cool and all and without it we wouldn't have had the setup to 5 and Chris' roid-rage obsession with his own nemesis (ha), but eh.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Actually speaking of environmental story telling, RE4 again had a fantastic stroke on that. Saddler's casual nonchalance in referring to 'this fine religious community', and Salazar's dismissive comments about 'those diminutive ganados', seeing the horrible things that have happened to that entire region and getting to discover them, and then having those neat little vignettes in the credits showing how the people used to be hale and hearty before being corrupted by Los Illuminados. You never have to care about it, but if you think about it for a few minutes, there's just this 'ache' that exists in the world and these games really need that. RE:CV didn't. RE1, RE2, RE3, they all made things pretty awful. RE1 was the first, so it was just building the world, but you had the famous 'itchy... tasty...' line. RE2, first day on the job Leon Kennedy and the madness of Irons' fuckin' Museum-turned-RPD Station. RE3, seeing everything OUTSIDE these confined places.

RE games really need strong environments. That's why RE3make kinda let me down by them cutting (yes, places like the gas station and pharmacy were fetch quests BUT they were still "more" of the city) segments of Raccoon out, and the clock tower, because you get a taste for how hosed up RC actually is in its disturbing comical way, and having that environment and getting to see the scale of how terrible your situation is goes a long way. It helps that they are all convincingly 'lived-in', that you can really believe that the visceral violence you observe and witness has happened to a lot of people who didn't deserve it (or maybe did lol).

edit:

oh also for me

RE2 > RE3 > CVX (Ps2) > RE1make > RE4 > RE0 > RE5 > RE6 > Rev1 > Rev2 > RE2make > RE3make

I had a very weird chronological experience with the series and never actually played RE1 original on PS1, never could find it but I wasn't missing much with the REmake. I also didn't own a 3DS so I had to wait for Rev1 to get to PC. Overall I wouldn't say any one of them have affected my opinions of later games, except RE2make into RE3make for pretty much all the stated reasons. And I'm never going to play RE7 because I view it as the wrong direction for the franchise.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Apr 6, 2020

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Lord Ludikrous posted:

For me it goes:

RE1 > RE3 > RE2 > CVX > RE4 > RE1make > RE0 > Rev 2 > Rev 1 > RE6 > RE5 > RE2make > RE3make

In terms of my opinions on the games, the original has yet to be beat. Obviously there's a ton of nostalgia here, but it's basically the ideal the other games are measured against. I've got a pretty high tolerance for exploration and backtracking, which is probably why I still like CVX. It's like a bad execution of a style I really enjoy, while RE4 is a great execution of something I don't.

I like RE3make, though not as much as 2, and would have liked to have seen them go less linear rather than more. The whole mastering the environment you're dropped into aspect of 2 is really compelling to me, and I don't feel 3 really has anywhere where that's really possible. Obviously you can become experienced in doing exactly what you need to do to move past a segment, but it doesn't leave you as many options for planning out your route - even the "open world" downtown area is just masking an essentially linear route with little room for experimentation. Contrast that with the RPD, which was a proper 3D environment, connecting areas in multiple ways both horizontally and vertically. The downtown area of 3 would've been quite a bit more interesting if you were able to move through, over, and under buildings.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Lunethex posted:

Saddler's casual nonchalance in referring to 'this fine religious community'
The sarcasm and contempt you could hear in his voice when he made that crack was amazing. It was a tiny detail and nothing was ever explicitly expressed anywhere in the game about this at all, but that line conveyed completely and totally how little of a gently caress he really gave about the religious side of the Illuminados. You could practically hear the eye-roll. It was entirely about power for him and nothing else, the religion was just the vehicle he used to get access to Salazar's basement.

That is some drat fine writing.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Saddler has some of the best voice acting in the series, the laughing he does over the radio at all of Leon's lovely one liners is just so perfect, like a mix of that "oh ya got me! haha" kind of defensive laugh when someone's taking the piss out of you and just a hint of actual genuine mirth at all the stupid crap Leon's saying

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Resident Evil 4 in general has. Everyone is just so wonderfully expressive, it's a joy to listen to. Sure, they don't sound realistic, but they're not supposed to be. It's outstanding, amazingly directed voice acting for the characters that they're meant to be.

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
I dunno what it is but I seem to have pretty good luck as Alex Wesker in REsistance, which is weird when everyone else says she's super weak.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Mr. Maggy posted:

I dunno what it is but I seem to have pretty good luck as Alex Wesker in REsistance, which is weird when everyone else says she's super weak.

The plant is extremely strong when put in the right spot (like trapping survivors in a small room). It also can be placed at the exits when they're trying to open and it basically blocks that and you'll probably get one or two kills because survivors can be stubborn when the exit is open.

I can see people starting to figure out and running away from Mr x and Birkin easily (plus occasionally toss a nade) so ideally you want Alex or Spencer as your mastermind.

I'm really curious to see how this shakes out once people get to rank 20+ on average.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Nails posted:

Not sure if anyone else has encountered this yet, but apparently if you die enough times or use the bonus items, you can't get an S rank in hardcore. I'm not sure which thing it is. I beat the game in around 2 hours and 10 minutes, didn't save at all, died 10 times, and was using the infinite ammo AR, the defense and healing coins, the dodge manual, the hip packs, the hot knife, and RAI-DEN. The score it gave me was a B. I'm not super surprised, but I am annoyed that it didn't mention the items blocking above a B rank. Weirdly enough, using RAI-DEN counts as Magnum kills towards that achievement, and using the recovery coins doesn't count against you as a healing item for that achievement. Super weird.

Edit: I figured it out. I didn't notice that the clear times change as you mouse over difficulties. Assisted is 2 hours and 30 minutes, Standard is 2 hours, and Hardcore is 1 hour and 45 minutes. I can't even imagine how that last one would be possible considering I felt like I was hauling rear end through that playthrough and I was passing by a lot of poo poo. That is crazy. Also spoilered unlocks just in case, sorry I spaced on that.

You can shave a ton of time with the lock pick and bolt cutters

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014

Ineffiable posted:

The plant is extremely strong when put in the right spot (like trapping survivors in a small room). It also can be placed at the exits when they're trying to open and it basically blocks that and you'll probably get one or two kills because survivors can be stubborn when the exit is open.

I can see people starting to figure out and running away from Mr x and Birkin easily (plus occasionally toss a nade) so ideally you want Alex or Spencer as your mastermind.

I'm really curious to see how this shakes out once people get to rank 20+ on average.

putting traps behind a group and then dropping the plant infront has been pretty reliable for me, they trigger all the mines and get hosed up running away, while I deny them the area via the plant. Also the "get X amount of survivor coughs in one round" is exceedingly easier for her.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Mr. Maggy posted:

putting traps behind a group and then dropping the plant infront has been pretty reliable for me, they trigger all the mines and get hosed up running away, while I deny them the area via the plant. Also the "get X amount of survivor coughs in one round" is exceedingly easier for her.

For sure, playing tricky is the way to go with mastermind. Put a zombie behind locked doors because most of the time they get grabbed.

This is one of those games where if you spend some time playing at each side, you understand how to gently caress them over more.

I kind of like the challenges (in the trophy/achievements) and I've already done about 70%. There's a bunch that require the survivor to be rank 17 so you can get access to some of their better cards. Probably won't go for the rest since they're really extremely luck based or requires lots of grinding.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Between all the playthroughs, do you only have to shoot each bobblehead once? I can't find the one in the first Subway control room, but I think I shot it before starting over on a new save.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

fadam posted:

Between all the playthroughs, do you only have to shoot each bobblehead once? I can't find the one in the first Subway control room, but I think I shot it before starting over on a new save.
Yeah, they're associated with your profile, not your current playthrough. Same for RE7 and RE2make, if you haven't played those yet.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I made a post here earlier about RE6 and how I was playing through it for the first time and all the things that seemed to suck about it. I was going to drop it completely but a bunch of replies and posts about it after had so many different takes on the game and which campaign was the best and what aspects of the game were bad/good that I figured I'd see it through. So I finished Leon/Helena's and Jack/Sherry's campaigns so far. Jake's has so many bad vehicles sections but was like 10,000x better than Leon's imo. And Jake seems like the character they put the most writing-effort into so far. Sherry is cool too and it was rad that they didn't just not handwave away her being implanted in RE2 and everything but how they worked that into her character.

I think what really made Leon's the worst is that they tried so hard to make it evoke RE4, without realizing that the schlocky b movie quips and writing and the enemies and levels you travel through having tons of personality is a huge part of what makes RE4 loving awesome. But Leon and Helena's campaign areas are insanely repetitive, and their enemies never really do anything interesting beyond stumbling around, then stumbling around a little faster and diving at you even if there are a few different designs and sizes. My wife and I played a little bit of RE5 after to see if it was really different and it was, RE4 and 5 may have slightly slower action but you always feel like the enemies are really working their way towards you and feeling out how to get at you, the combat in both is engrossing on that level in a way RE6 hasn't really done for me.*

RE6....I ended up setting the difficulty to amateur a few times just to get some of the stuff over with. The statistics are interesting though, even without that I think like 95% of deaths we had were at the ends of vehicle/run away from a thing QTEs and not from the actual enemies.

Like after you first encounter Deborah and you're making your way back up through the mine->caves, I can't believe how bad that area is and how much of it is just circular platform floating in a void, small bridge, circular platform floating in a void, even setting the difficulty down and just steamrolling through it it was crazy tedious.

You can tell they wanted to evoke "classic" RE and RE4 throughout this campaign especially with the cathedral/catacombs but it feels like a fan-game or one of those PSX RE knockoffs like Countdown Vampires or something in every way except for the budget. It reminds of FFXV in that respect where it seems excellent on the surface but the more you play it the more cracks from its convoluted production start to show.

Jake's campaign was way better right off the bat with a bigger opening arena area, the stakes are really clear because Chris/etc. are announcing what's going on, there's more stuff to interact with in general, it was awesome and it was a lot of fun to almost completely forgo guns for close combatting the poo poo out of everything. :black101:

To the point where an RE that downplays the action in general and focuses on head-exploding melee attacks would have probably been a better overall direction for them to go in with this engine. While the vehicle parts of it do suck even the other gimmick stuff like the brief part where you use the cameras as your partner is fighting or the part with the rotating statues was fun to do. Jake and Sherry are both cool. And their story and characters fit way better with the urgent world disaster response keep moving way the game in general feels like it was built around. Their "Nemesis" enemy was hilariously resilient too which I appreciate. So they did a good job of organically working how Jake and Sherry "work" and how their characters are into the campaign's design and story.

Speaking of urgent and keep moving forward, that was another major fumble with Leon's campaign. It was supposed to evoke classic RE atmosphere or whatever but instead working with how the two characters play to do that, they just sort of...make it so your characters can't run so they have to move slowly and listen to someone talk about RE stuff. What was with all the weird parts in the opening chapter where you're suddenly not allowed to draw your gun or just have to stand around and wait or can only walk super slowly or whatever? Like the game constantly stops you to be like THIS IS CREEPY TIME NOW BE CREEPED OUT. You can feel the lack of confidence in the campaign when they have to do that, falls totally flat. The city portion was almost interesting but so much of it is just in one building and again that part being like a weird lovely Left 4 Dead knockoff was so out of nowhere :laffo:

Last thing so far, I'm really digging RE6's take on the Regenerator I guess. That enemy where you down them and it results in a ripped in half and a hopping around arm? Those things are pretty cool.

Do they ever reveal if the C in C-Virus stands for Carla Virus or Chrysalis Virus?

On that note, the story is of course insanely stupid even by RE standards from happens in the game proper (I didn't read all the files yet, lol at some of them only being revealed in a cutscene like I'm going to replay a chapter just for that).

Like imagine the conversation "Hello, Lanshiang department of buildings? Yes, this is the terrorist organization Neo Umbrella, we'd like information on zoning permitting and material regulations for a giant Umbrella logo we'd like to include in the lobby of the Neo Umbrella Headquarters we're building in your city." Like, reveal the truth about Raccoon City? This is RE6 Simmons, like, Raccoon City was fuckin' nuked because of zombies, Umbrella went bankrupt because of it, the BSAA already exists, RE5 happened, El Gigante knockoffs roam freely around eastern Europe til they get blown up, people know biological weapons are a thing now. Yeah I know irl there's a company with a logo like Umbrella's in China but come on :laffo:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

People don't know about Ecstatica (for good reasons probably) - it was a weird, at the time, Alone in the Dark-like set in a fantasy world that was entirely non-linear. Game is mostly known for it's weird ellipsoid graphics, but it also had a stalker-ish werewolf enemy that would hunt you throughout the game and show up in random places to make your life miserable. I think it was mostly scripted, but in that sense it felt very similar to what Nemesis did years later, only without guns and poo poo.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 6, 2020

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I feel that it would be cool to do a game where there is a stalker enemy throughout. Especially on next gen systems as they could have them break through walls and stuff on a regular basis. I agree though that they can't keep bringing stalker enemies or it would soon get stale.

veni veni veni posted:

Jack was limited to just one segment of the game though.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 6, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

Do they ever reveal if the C in C-Virus stands for Carla Virus or Chrysalis Virus?
It stands for Chrysalid, as far as I know. It is partly made of G, which stands for Golgotha, by the way. Didn't know that either until now.

Hakkesshu posted:

People don't know about Ecstatica (for good reasons probably) - it was a weird, at the time, Alone in the Dark-like set in a fantasy world that was entirely non-linear. Game is most known for it's weird ellipsoid graphics, but it also had a stalker-ish werewolf enemy that would hunt you throughout the game and show up in random places to make your life miserable. I think it was mostly scripted, but in that sense it felt very similar to what Nemesis did.
Ecstatica is actually a really good game for its time and I recommend trying it. It has a real charm to it and the werewolf has an astounding amount of personality for something that never speaks.

The game also manages to be surprisingly disquieting, in a horror game sense.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

veni veni veni posted:

I haven't played CV since it came out and I thought it was amazing. I kind of want to go back and see why people hated it so much since I don't even remember much about it and I was like 15 when I played it.

Not wanting to finish RE6 is perfectly understandable.

CV was critically acclaimed when it was released although Steve was always hated. I remember a lot of reviews claiming that it was great the Resident Evil was shaking things up a bit with how crazy that game got at times. It is still one of my favorites

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Like most Dreamcast games. I found CV enjoyable, but also extremely overrated.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I love Code Veronica and it’s one of my favorite classic style entries. Some of that may be nostalgia, but I think the music and atmosphere is legit on point. I also appreciate the kind of off the rails plot and the characters for being so cheesy.

You can really dick yourself over by not having enough ammo for certain bosses but if you learn to utilize the hilariously overpowered knife you’ll be swimming in ammo.

I’m not sure why everyone hates it so much. I guess Steve and some of the more elaborate backtracking. Personally I think if you have any affection for the series classic style games it’s worth playing.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It does have its good spots. The part with the creepy replica mansion was honestly kind of inspired. It just doesn't come together as well as the rest of the series, at least to me, but if you had fun with it then so much the better.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

In OG RE3, am I hosed if I made it to post-Carlos Clock Tower without grenade launcher? I am playing blind and didn't realize I had not one but two opportunities to get it. I'm lousy with ammo but no launcher...

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
You're not hosed but you better start mixing up a lot of magnum ammo to be your main problem solver. It'll be harder but it's not undoable. The G. Launcher is definitely not something I'd want to miss.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

It stands for Chrysalid, as far as I know. It is partly made of G, which stands for Golgotha, by the way. Didn't know that either until now.

Ecstatica is actually a really good game for its time and I recommend trying it. It has a real charm to it and the werewolf has an astounding amount of personality for something that never speaks.

The game also manages to be surprisingly disquieting, in a horror game sense.

It's a really interesting game that probably would have been super influential if more people had played it. It's so goddamn brutal if you've never played it before, though.

The very first thing you do in that game is walk into town, trip over a rock, and then just get a full fist of wolf in your face as soon as you round a corner lol

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Actually, if you miss weapons in RE3MAKE, do they pop up again later? Just thinking ahead for the no item box run.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be honest I liked CV more than 3 but that’s because I always thought three was kind of bland

CV was weird which is something

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

man nurse posted:

I love Code Veronica and it’s one of my favorite classic style entries. Some of that may be nostalgia, but I think the music and atmosphere is legit on point. I also appreciate the kind of off the rails plot and the characters for being so cheesy.

You can really dick yourself over by not having enough ammo for certain bosses but if you learn to utilize the hilariously overpowered knife you’ll be swimming in ammo.

I’m not sure why everyone hates it so much. I guess Steve and some of the more elaborate backtracking. Personally I think if you have any affection for the series classic style games it’s worth playing.

It also has one of the hardest bosses in the entire series. That Tyrant on the plane is no joke, but you can easily trivialize him if you save your BOW gas rounds for him. But I love the hell out of Code Veronica too.

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be honest I liked CV more than 3 but that’s because I always thought three was kind of bland

CV was weird which is something

3 felt too similar to 2 for me, and if you didn't want to bother with engaging with all the nemesis stuff. I never bothered to actually engage with the nemesis whenever he showed up and just ran and he loses interest pretty quickly.

But my younger self thought the whole Wesker coming back Matrix thing was so cool.

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Apr 6, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Seedge posted:

Actually, if you miss weapons in RE3MAKE, do they pop up again later? Just thinking ahead for the no item box run.
They don't, as far as I'm aware. It works like RE2make in that if you miss them, you're just kinda hosed. The game doesn't work like the classic game that way.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Cardiovorax posted:

They don't, as far as I'm aware. It works like RE2make in that if you miss them, you're just kinda hosed. The game doesn't work like the classic game that way.

Remake 2 spawns shotgun and GL in the lab if you didn't grab them at RPD.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

WaltherFeng posted:

Remake 2 spawns shotgun and GL in the lab if you didn't grab them at RPD.
drat, seriously? I've never even heard about that. Leave it to a Resident Evil game to keep surprising me even over a year after the fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

If it helps, I went through a no item box run on Assisted and grabbed every weapon but the burst handgun, and I had enough room to grab it too if I wanted.