Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Skwirl posted:

https://twitter.com/ericacbarnett/status/1246953063685820416?s=19

Conner is currently in the lead for the male equivalent.

These are all frat boy names, which is not analogous to a Karen at all.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/HannahLebovits/status/1246958138403753984

Read. Another. Book.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

"Removable eyelids."

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Arivia posted:

Look you might be right but we can’t take one of the like seven names trans men have away from them, that would be cruel

How about Blake? Every last Blake ive ever met was a completely entitled rear end in a top hat.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

Tanner is the entitled, rear end in a top hat white dude name i associate with the kind of dickhead to throw a fit at a burger king counter about "the un-loving-believable SERVICE here!"
It's really any -er sort of name tho, isn't it?

Spencer. Hunter. Tucker. I can't recall a single one who wasn't a horrid piece of garbage.

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

How about Blake? Every last Blake ive ever met was a completely entitled rear end in a top hat.
Blake and his friend Brock.

Ellie Crabcakes has a new favorite as of 14:47 on Apr 6, 2020

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Were there any stupid conspiracy theories back when 4G was beginning to roll out?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Khizan posted:

Richard, but specifically the Richards who insist on going by the full name all the time. I've met decent Ricks and Riches, and I've even met a few Dicks who weren't actually dicks, but every Richard I've ever met has been an "I demand to speak with the owner" rear end in a top hat who calls waiters "the help".

It's the chard, makes em bitter

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Were there any stupid conspiracy theories back when 4G was beginning to roll out?

Im betting theres been conspiracy theories for every technological advancement. We just hear about these the loudest because of the internet. I vaguely recall hearing disdainful words about beepers and then cel phones as a kid from That uncle.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

Im betting theres been conspiracy theories for every technological advancement. We just hear about these the loudest because of the internet. I vaguely recall hearing disdainful words about beepers and then cel phones as a kid from That uncle.

Socrates bitched about how the development of written language was rotting kids' brains and destroying society by removing the need to think.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

It's the chard, makes em bitter

:haw:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

Cell phones were supposed to destroy our brains with microwaves.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

Cell phones were supposed to destroy our brains with microwaves.

Yeah. Just more unfulfilled dystopian promises :(

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Yes, and 3G, and 2.5G, and GSM. If you want to see what they looked like, do a find-and-replace on the 5G ones.

I'll assume the exact same things happened with the rollout of the original analogue networks, FM radio, and spark gap apparatus, with the only changes being the fonts (to whatever was slightly out-of-date and hard to read by the standards of the time).

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

Not quite in the same lane of conspiracy, but the earliest technological conspiracy theory I'm aware of is The Air Loom, where a man was convinced a gang expert in the then-brand-new sciences of pneumatics and magnetics were torturing him and stalking him to observe the effects of their torture. It's interesting that his delusions mirror exactly what we see nowadays in the gang stalking/targeted individuals conspiracy theories with only the technology involved changed. If you read his writings about what he felt was happening it could (apart from the spelling) be straight off a Wordpress site being advertised via replies to Donald Trump tweets.

It's interesting that brain dysfunctions seem to follow similar paths despite very different societies.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

Conspiracies about Gutenberg's press, handwritten in uncial letterforms on vellum.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

RE: Masculine Karen, it's gotta be Richard/Dick, based on my ultrascientific method of googling the year Karen was most popular, then googling popular baby names that year, and finding the masculine name in the same row as Karen.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Warmachine posted:

RE: Masculine Karen, it's gotta be Richard/Dick, based on my ultrascientific method of googling the year Karen was most popular, then googling popular baby names that year, and finding the masculine name in the same row as Karen.

Nah, it’s not just the popularity of the name, it’s also that the name is associated primarily with white, middle-class people.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Ted. Teds are the worst guys.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I'd lean towards Preston but also think having one name represent snooty assholes is kind of lovely for the unfortunate bastards who have that name.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I've never met a Paul that was a good person. I have to agree with Richard being the male-Karen.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Robert is a fair guess, I think.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Karen and Kevin sounds good so that's what I'm going to say now.

https://twitter.com/ProfaneFeminist/status/1244738181221646336

As a baker, I should really start a thread listing all the hosed up bakes people are putting on the internet. This bread is a travesty inside and out.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
oh no a person trying something for the first time didn't do it perfectly, what an idiot

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Exactly thank you

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
I personally think Kyle is the analogue to Karen. It just screams entitlement, he does MMA in his back yard, wears monster energy drink clothes, and pretends to be a navy seal in bars and picks fights. They're definitely married, Kyle and Karen, if they aren't perfect analogues. Plus you got the one K away thing from completing the trashy trifecta

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I'm gonna go with Melvin

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

ilmucche posted:

I'd lean towards Preston but also think having one name represent snooty assholes is kind of lovely for the unfortunate bastards who have that name.

Well, nobody gives a poo poo about how it affects real life Karens, so I can't imagine that factoring in for the Kevins or whatever. Tho I doubt the internet ever agrees on a male Karen because the internet isn't as invested in boiling down men into one unpleasant stereotype to name and dismiss, generally. Chad is the only one I can think of and that's just an incel thing.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

The Karen meme is pretty specific in the kind of woman it boils down to an unpleasant stereotype to name and dismiss. Just like attempting to name the male equivalent is pretty specific to whomst it targets.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Waterbed Wendy posted:

As a baker, I should really start a thread listing all the hosed up bakes people are putting on the internet. This bread is a travesty inside and out.

Are you seriously gatekeeping practical domesticity right now?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Chet sounds like the male equivalent of Karen

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
I'm just glad no one has suggested my name.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Huntersoninski posted:

Well, nobody gives a poo poo about how it affects real life Karens, so I can't imagine that factoring in for the Kevins or whatever. Tho I doubt the internet ever agrees on a male Karen because the internet isn't as invested in boiling down men into one unpleasant stereotype to name and dismiss, generally. Chad is the only one I can think of and that's just an incel thing.

This. There’s a subset of people saying Karen that mean a white middle class woman using her privilege to be an rear end in a top hat.

There’s an entirely different subset that latched onto it to be hella misogynistic.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Come on folks. Clearly a Cameron is a male version of Karen.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Can we get some receipts because i haven't seen the misogynistic use itt or irl

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Head to Reddit, friend.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Waterbed Wendy posted:

https://twitter.com/ProfaneFeminist/status/1244738181221646336

I was a baker for almost 10 years. That looks fine. Maybe a little more proofing and definitely another few minutes in the oven. I assure you I've baked and shipped worse than that.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Steve or Paul. One is too dumb to realize he is wrong, while asking advice from an expert then dismissing it, because he is right. The other thinks everyone like him agrees with his hosed up viewpoint, and tells the woman store owner to shut up, men are talking, while complaining to the male cashier about prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

T-man posted:

Can we get some receipts because i haven't seen the misogynistic use itt or irl

Basically when its used to shut down a woman with a legitimate complaint, rather than merely using her privilege as a bludgeon for entitlement.

"I think it'd be nice if we stopped killing women so much."
"More Karens here to complain to management, shut up."

The other misogynistic use is applying it based on the criterion "I don't want to gently caress her" rather than on privileged behavior.

I've seen both, and don't care to go back to where I saw them to get screen shots for you.