Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

SettingSun posted:

If it helps, I went through a no item box run on Assisted and grabbed every weapon but the burst handgun, and I had enough room to grab it too if I wanted.

That does help. I figure I'll do that one first, since then I can use the points for items to help on other runs. You any advice? I figure it's just a case of making sure you grab the hip pouch in Downtown, and opening all the chains and locks as you go to drop the cutters and pick at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Is the original RE trilogy worth replaying or do the REmakes make them pointless?

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
I think they are. They have flaws but there's a certain nostalgic charm to them. Any excuse to replay RE2, you know?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is the original RE trilogy worth replaying or do the REmakes make them pointless?

I think it's generally accepted that REmake 1 is the definitive version made by the original director.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

punk rebel ecks posted:

I honestly think it is pointless to play the original Resident Evil unless you just want to see how much has changed.

But I think the original RE2 and the Remake are different enough that they are each worth a playthrough. The original RE2 had a scenario system that kind of got nuked when it was remade.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

blackguy32 posted:

I honestly think it is pointless to play the original Resident Evil unless you just want to see how much has changed.

This is reason enough to be honest, especially as the dialogue and voice acting are loving hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ2djNORNfE

Wesker sounds so genuinely offended when Chris laughs at him.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

From what I understand the Nintendo 64 version is the definitive one?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

The only Resident Evil on the N64 is Resident Evil 2, and it's one of the worse ports despite some added features.

As far as I know, all the features are included in the Dual Shock Edition for PS1 and the GameCube version. Emulating the Gamecube version allows you to use the fancy upscaled backgrounds, which makes it look like an entirely new game.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Seedge posted:

That does help. I figure I'll do that one first, since then I can use the points for items to help on other runs. You any advice? I figure it's just a case of making sure you grab the hip pouch in Downtown, and opening all the chains and locks as you go to drop the cutters and pick at some point.

I did the no item box and no healing run together, and I also did it fast enough to S-Rank it. Assisted has several advantages: Jill's health recovers to caution if you are in danger status, and pretty quickly at that. Enemies are sluggish, weak, and have little health so combined with the previous you can easily get by without healing. You also start with two free RPD pouches, and an assault rifle as well. It's powerful and you find more ammo for it in game (unlike the original) so you can use it for almost anything. Boss arenas have poo poo tons of ammo just lying around; more than enough to kill any boss.

So really what you want to do is speedrun it, and pick up all the ammo along the way. Try to pick all the locks too so you can rid yourself of the lockpick, but imo don't worry TOO much about that if you are pressed for time. I just came down from a troublesome Nightmare run so enemies were trivial for me to dodge, but even a zombie will drop from 3-4 headshots. You don't really need to confirm your kills and you can get away with the classic RE2R strat of Stun 'n Run too. The game will rain ammo upon you, so don't stress over it.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Lord Ludikrous posted:

This is reason enough to be honest, especially as the dialogue and voice acting are loving hilarious.

There's something so magical about the acting in RE96 that could never be recreated on purpose. The weird dialogue, the line reads that alternate between incredibly flat and incredibly hammy, and the awkward pauses just create such a weird atmosphere. I wish they did that incredible live action intro in other games.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Lord Ludikrous posted:

This is the entire set up for code Veronica

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Seedge posted:

Actually, if you miss weapons in RE3MAKE, do they pop up again later? Just thinking ahead for the no item box run.
If you miss the shotgun and grenade launcher, they pop up in the save room before Doggo Nemesis 1 and if you miss them there, they pop up once again in that first save room in Nest 2.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Also if you just want to drop the bolt cutters and lockpick at some point and don't care about the extra items, once you're no longer able to actually use them on anything the game lets you just discard them anyways. Of course Jill needs to use the lockpick in the hospital anyways to progress the story so you end up lugging that around for a while at least.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 6, 2020

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Definitive version of RE2 is on Gamecube so you can skip loading doors :whatup:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Get the REre1 upscale mod and it's perfect.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

DeadButDelicious posted:

Definitive version of RE2 is on Gamecube so you can skip loading doors :whatup:

I was so mad that the Remasters of 1 and 0 didn't allow you to do this. But it is a huge reason why the PC version of 3 and the DS version of 1 are awesome. You can literally shave a good 30-45 minutes off your play time just by skipping door animations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Mulva posted:

I was about to ask about this, so thank you!

I forget, was OG RE3 best on Dreamcast? I feel like there was some weird disparity where Dreamcast RE2 or 3 had higher res character models/3D objects or something but just on DC. I mean I guess it's moot now that an upscale mod for the GC game exists.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I fell in love with the original RE on PlayStation because of how hammy it was, there weren't any other games like that back then. I made everyone I could play up to the hallway just to get their reactions. We would record our runs on VHS tape to prove we beat the game faster than each other. It was a glorious time.

I totally recommend RE on PS1 and then Remake 1, 2, 3, CV on Gamecube.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Mulva posted:

Got a link? I really hate how grainy some of the backgrounds look.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Cardiovorax posted:

Got a link? I really hate how grainy some of the backgrounds look.

https://reupscaleproject.blogspot.com/

There are also upscales for 2, 3, and 4. There might be for CV for all I know but I don't give a gently caress about CV.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Y'all are making me want to buy classic RE on Steam.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Mulva posted:

https://reupscaleproject.blogspot.com/

There are also upscales for 2, 3, and 4. There might be for CV for all I know but I don't give a gently caress about CV.
Appreciated.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Gnoman posted:

The only Resident Evil on the N64 is Resident Evil 2, and it's one of the worse ports despite some added features.

As far as I know, all the features are included in the Dual Shock Edition for PS1 and the GameCube version. Emulating the Gamecube version allows you to use the fancy upscaled backgrounds, which makes it look like an entirely new game.

I think the N64 version has a bunch of files you can't find anywhere else but a few of them link up to RE0 IIRC so who cares lol

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lunethex posted:

And I'm never going to play RE7 because I view it as the wrong direction for the franchise.

You are doing yourself a disservice. It's one of the most RE experiences you can have, outside of the first person perspective, which actually works great imo. I wouldn't want the entire series to go first person, but with how well done it was I'd welcome more of it.

punk rebel ecks posted:

RE1 isn't because the Remake is basically a better version of the same game, unless you want to experience the unintentional comedy in it. RE2 and 3 are total reimaginings so you could at least go back and play those and get a different experience.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 6, 2020

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Yeah RE 7 plays like a traditional RE game. It’s not Outlast. It was a return to form.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I really would like to know what you think is wrong about it, because I think it's the most genuinely "survival horror" feeling games in the franchise since Resident Evil 1.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Resident Evil 7 is literally old school Resident Evil reimagined. Which is why it was so good.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Cardiovorax posted:

I really would like to know what you think is wrong about it, because I think it's the most genuinely "survival horror" feeling games in the franchise since Resident Evil 1.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Resident Evil 7 is literally old school Resident Evil reimagined. Which is why it was so good.

Yeah I have a lot of nitpicks with bits of it but it's great in general. The moment to moment survival horror walkin' around and the clever way they managed to "hide" items everywhere in odd corners and under things despite it not having pre-set camera angles is fantastic and way closer to old school RE than any of the other recent games.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i am glad you pushed on and tried out other parts of the game, a lot of the problems you had with the leon campaign mirror the problems i had with it and i genuinely think a lot of people play it and think "well this game must suck if this is the best campaign" which i know i harp on but, no, it absolutely is not

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
RE7 on Madhouse is an experience.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

I really want to play 7, but the first hour demo was a struggle to get through. Too drat spooky.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

It’s kinda funny how Resident Evil started out rather infamous for its poor voice acting and has ended up as one of the best acted and written franchises about.

Claire’s “oh gently caress this!” after sliding down in the sewer is probably one of the best acted lines ever.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I was thinking about it recently and there are 2 things that ultimately kill RE6 for me. It's honestly not that it's an action game, and it's not even the massive fluctuation in quality of the content.

The first thing is the almost complete absence of exploration. Even in more action focused RE games like RE4,5 Revs, remake 3 etc. You still always get a sense that you are exploring an area, there are things to find. it's worth checking out every room, unlocking every door, looking around etc. In RE6 the world is basically a shooting gallery. It doesn't feel like it's worth exploring or interacting with. I know there is stuff to find but I never cared. I never felt like I wanted to take in the scenery or enjoy the sense of place RE usually gives me. The only campaign that even felt like it attempted to do any sort of exploration was Ada's and it was also the worst one.

The second is the movement and shooting. I feel like even though RE gameplay has evolved and changed over the years I've always felt right at home with it. Every post RE4 game has an immediately recognizable feel to them that can be traced back to RE4, which itself felt like a clever evolution of the isometric games. It even translates into RE7 and off brand stuff like Revs. The second I pick them up I'm like "yup this is RE". This felt absent to me in RE6 though. It just doesn't feel like RE to me. The movement is floaty and quick, and the shooting has no weight to it, the enemies don't feel threatening or take any strategy...It all just feels off.

Ultimately I think I could have found a lot to enjoy in RE6 if it weren't for those to things. I've managed to enjoy plenty of mediocre RE experiences before, but something about RE6 just felt way too not RE to me. Thanks for listening.

Lord Ludikrous posted:

It’s kinda funny how Resident Evil started out rather infamous for its poor voice acting and has ended up as one of the best acted and written franchises about.

Claire’s “oh gently caress this!” after sliding down in the sewer is probably one of the best acted lines ever.

I fuckin love Carlos' VA

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 6, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

uncle blog posted:

I really want to play 7, but the first hour demo was a struggle to get through. Too drat spooky.
It becomes less scary and more of a conventional Resident Evil experience after that, which can be either a good thing or a bad thing depending on who you ask. It's still really loving good, though.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It’s not the best written

The most you can say about the remakes story wise is they try and bridge the gaps the actual originals didn’t really care about but that’s it

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I think I should try out the Sega Saturn version of RE2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwGMCtYPEvU

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Dr. Abysmal posted:

It's like people going insane because Claire was wearing a tank top in her classic outfit in RE2 remake, spiced up with an "I can't jack off to upskirts now, this is bullshit" component.

Why are people so insane

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How the heck do I get that box in the hospital courtyard?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Lord Ludikrous posted:

"Bitch can't even swim" is probably my favorite line in any video game since Resident Evil 4's "Your right hand comes off?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

How the heck do I get that box in the hospital courtyard?
You need to jump out of a window on the first floor.