Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

ARR is not just long, it's also pretty dull. You spend the whole time being tasked with beating one big bad monster after another while a bunch of generically sinister masked figures pull the strings in the background, and that's before the ridiculous hoops you have to jump through before people will give you the time of day and help you with what are obviously massively important goals. Heavensward is shorter, far more varied, and features a properly compelling sins-of-the-father story. It's genuinely good by any standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ZZZorcerer posted:

I enjoyed the Squeenix Deus Ex and Tomb Raider games :shrug:

But yeah, based on the last decade I didn't think that Square could release a good FF game

The Square Enix-published Hitman, Deus Ex, and Tomb Raider games are good, but Square didn't develop those, and they had a lot of well-publicized struggles as a publisher of western-developed games. It's why they dumped Hitman and sold the IP back to IO Interactive.

The games themselves were good but Square Enix seemed to be a garbage publisher to work with for the developers.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

ARR is not just long, it's also pretty dull. You spend the whole time being tasked with beating one big bad monster after another while a bunch of generically sinister masked figures pull the strings in the background, and that's before the ridiculous hoops you have to jump through before people will give you the time of day and help you with what are obviously massively important goals. Heavensward is shorter, far more varied, and features a properly compelling sins-of-the-father story. It's genuinely good by any standard.

What gets me is that everyone went on about how brilliant ARR was after the disaster or the original release. How did it get so popular?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Mailer posted:

Updated review: This is like watching The Hobbit in what I assume is a twelve hour director's cut. Also The Hobbit if everyone wanted to bone down with Bilbo for the entire series.

In fairness if everyone was trying to bone down with Bilbo those movies would have been slightly more entertaining

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

stev posted:

What gets me is that everyone went on about how brilliant ARR was after the disaster or the original release. How did it get so popular?

I'll say ARR's story gets a lot better in its second half, but I think part of it is just the comparison to the original release, which was so goddamn bad. ARR is like a glorious, shining phoenix rising from the ashes in comparison. The endgame of ARR was also a lot of fun.

It was also sorta graded on a curve and compared to other MMOs rather than single-player Final Fantasy games. Compared to like WoW and maybe even GW2, ARR's story is brilliant.

A version of ARR with the filler removed would be legitimately good the whole way through, I think.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

stev posted:

People are exaggerating how bad it is. It's fine. It has a bit of a slow start, and a couple of rather dull bits, but is overall perfectly adequate. But it leaves a bad last impression on people because it's immediately followed by the Post-ARR questline, which is aggressively bad. And then it gets compared to Heavensward, which is very very good.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

cock hero flux posted:

People are exaggerating how bad it is. It's fine. It has a bit of a slow start, and a couple of rather dull bits, but is overall perfectly adequate. But it leaves a bad last impression on people because it's immediately followed by the Post-ARR questline, which is aggressively bad. And then it gets compared to Heavensward, which is very very good.

I remember queing up for the Castrum Meridianum dungeon for the first time (which took a while, by the way, and you have to do this to proceed in the MSQ) and being shocked by the tonal whiplash of people just bulldozing through the entire dungeon but having tons of cutscenes inbetween, because someone had the very bright idea of having lengthy cutscenes in a dungeon that can appear in people's daily rotations. That and Praetorium were fairly weird experiences compared to everything that came before.

It leaves a very bad impression for new players because they'll hit level 50, reach this point and think "Jeez, are all max level story dungeons gonna be like this?" but thankfully SE changed their minds and only those two instances are like that.

And then you're plunged straight into the 2.1-2.5 content which is almost nothing but tedious backtracking and filler.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I hope they rework those two dungeons into solo instances or maybe even use a variation of the Trust system from Shadowbringers to let you play through them with story NPCs instead. They definitely realized having these huge 8-player dungeons was a mistake in the long term and never did it again (instead breaking off the big 8-player boss fights into separate instances from the final dungeons), and if they're reworking ARR they have an opportunity to correct the issue there as well.

For people who don't know, Shadowbringers lets you play through story dungeons with your story NPC friends, which they call "Trusts," if you want to, which helps you avoid a queue time and is also kind of cool for the story presentation (since they have banter and stuff through the dungeon). It'd be really cool if they did that with Castrum Meridianum and the Praetorium in ARR.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

lmao, my friend was literally being rung up for FF 7 Remake at Target when another employee walked over and told them they can't sell it yet.

Imagine being so close and then nope, denied.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Nomura posted:

That's also the reason Mickey is in only one scene in Kingdom Hearts 1. At the same time, another company was releasing a game that had to do with Mickey, so though we were denied his usage, we persisted and eventually got "as long as you only have one scene, from far away, as a silhouette, with him waving his hand or something". Since we had to make the best of the biggest [and only] chance we had, that's why that scene appears that way."

And we only had to wait two decades to learn why he wasn't wearing a shirt

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

man nurse posted:

lmao, my friend was literally being rung up for FF 7 Remake at Target when another employee walked over and told them they can't sell it yet.

what a cop

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

man nurse posted:

Ouch. Target is really bad about putting just whatever on the shelves and then going "oops, it's not the release date." The system will genuinely not let them ring it up, rendering things kind of odd display models.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Barrett has steelskin to prevent staggers. I imagine stuff like barrier or some other mangic should help in preventing / mitigating this. It feels like a deliberate decision so you don’t just blindly cast abilities and spells during combat and keep an eye on who’s getting attacked and when your attack windows are.

I noticed a lot of people used Steelskin during the missile barrage during speedruns of the demo boss to pretty good effect.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

man nurse posted:

other employee: "why do i hear boss music"

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Harrow posted:

For people who don't know, Shadowbringers lets you play through story dungeons with your story NPC friends, which they call "Trusts," if you want to, which helps you avoid a queue time and is also kind of cool for the story presentation (since they have banter and stuff through the dungeon). It'd be really cool if they did that with Castrum Meridianum and the Praetorium in ARR.

This is one of the things that's making me want to go back and power through Heavensward and Stormblood, I really want to see this stuff. But then I gaze at the path ahead... :shucks:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ErrEff posted:

This is one of the things that's making me want to go back and power through Heavensward and Stormblood, I really want to see this stuff. But then I gaze at the path ahead... :shucks:

If it helps, Heavensward and Stormblood (as well as the patch content between them) are shorter than ARR by virtue of being expansions that only cover 10 levels instead of 50. They're still full stories but they're both paced much better than ARR. Though if you're still feeling your burnout there's no rush to get back. The good stuff about Shadowbringers isn't going anywhere.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

we're soooo close to people buying it and finding out its not the whole ff7 game and getting pissed off

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Super No Vacancy posted:

we're soooo close to people buying it and finding out its not the whole ff7 game and getting pissed off

This will honestly probably bring me more joy than the game itself.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Super No Vacancy posted:

I lust for this

Pole of Mars
Aug 19, 2008

A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom
Are the summons materia you get from the pre-order and deluxe edition exclusive or can you get them later in the game?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

just had the first people on my tl today that didnt know until they read a review. and im sure this thread will be like THEYVE BEEN VERY CLEAR ITS A MULTI-PART REMAKE but its not anywhere in the actual marketing material which is the only thing normal people encounter

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

stev posted:

2.0 came out in 2013, the bar was pretty loving low and still is for MMOs.

And still is. 2.0s story is still more coherent and just better than anything WoW has done in the past few expansions. Really until shadowbringers there was always the whole "Its great for an MMO but not really up to standard single player RPGs" Shadowbringers is such a huge improvement that it took it from "great for an MMO" to legitimately one of the best stories in FF. Emet Selch is the best realized FF antagonist in decades.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Pole of Mars posted:

Are the summons materia you get from the pre-order and deluxe edition exclusive or can you get them later in the game?

i would bet they are exclusive for the time being but get added as separate dlc down the line. that's what happened with all the ffxv preorder exclusives

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Super No Vacancy posted:

just had the first people on my tl today that didnt know until they read a review. and im sure this thread will be like THEYVE BEEN VERY CLEAR ITS A MULTI-PART REMAKE but its not anywhere in the actual marketing material which is the only thing normal people encounter

It is indeed kind of crappy that Squeenix isn't calling it "part 1" or "Midgar" or something. It's deceptive marketing.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Emet Selch is the best realized FF antagonist in decades.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales

Super No Vacancy posted:

To be fair I think it even says 'this is the midgar part' in the description on PSN so their buyers remorse is their fault alone

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

zakharov posted:

It is indeed kind of crappy that Squeenix isn't calling it "part 1" or "Midgar" or something. It's deceptive marketing.

The vast majority of people buying this game will know this is Part 1.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Dell_Zincht posted:

The vast majority of people buying this game will know this is Part 1.

I'd be interested to see actual data on this!

FF7 Original Recipe brought in a whole lot of kids playing their first RPG. How many of them are now thirtysomethings who don't exactly follow game development religiously?

Maybe I'm wrong but I dunno.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

stev posted:

ARR was fine when you were doing content as it was released in a trickle. The issue is mostly that you don't need the filler anymore when you're looking at 3 more stories that are better, and 2.1-2.5 is a huge, huge slog to go through all at once.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I won't deny that advertising it as "This is a remake of FF 7" is kind of lovely and there will be a lot of people who don't know any better unless they read a review or were following the project since its announcement.

It's still going to be funny.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I think most people will buy it without knowing that, but also that most people won't know what that means because FF7 came out 23 years ago before a huge chunk of the audience was born.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
What I gather is that people are very upset that this isn't the video game equivalent of Gus Van Sant's remake of Psycho.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I've seen a lot of people mad about it only being the first part but not aware that it's a full size game, so if anything referring to it as its own part would have worked against them more. And even if people aren't aware, I'd hope that after 40 hours of explosive action their reaction wouldn't be "what, that's it?" :mad:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Is there a link to any of the spoilers? I don't have a PS4 but I want to know whats changed or what the plot is I guess.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Is there a link to any of the spoilers? I don't have a PS4 but I want to know whats changed or what the plot is I guess.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3918922

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I am very excited for Tim Rogers's eventual hour-long video review of this. Dude's a massive FF7 fan and has a series where he plays through the original game in Japanese and sorta re-translates it and talks about differences and themes and stuff. He's also the kind of guy who is very much on board for Grand Artistic Choices so I can't wait to see what he has to say.

https://twitter.com/108/status/1247195072891883520?s=20

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Ask in the spoiler thread and people will fill you in. Just reading the thread is kinda scattered but people can summarize.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

FFXIV has an ok story, but the main game never gets fun or evolves. The quests are exactly the same over and over. Go to this spot, click an item, go back. Go to this spot, fight two enemies, go back. Go to this spot, fight an instanced battle, go back. WoW's quests are boring, too, but FFXIV is way worse. The story is way better, though. The dungeons and raids are also way better. But don't let anyone tell you the game changes after ARR. It does not.

GoGoGadget fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 6, 2020

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
Haha, Wall Market is just a Yakuza game now because of the atmosphere of an entertainment district, the dialogues and all the things you have to do (both old and new).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

GoGoGadget posted:

FFXIV has an ok story, but the main game never gets fun or evolves. The quests are exactly the same over and over. Go to this spot, click an item, go back. Go to this spot, fight two enemies, go back. Go to this spot, fight an instanced battle, go back. WoW's quests are boring, too, but FFXIV is way worse. The story is way better, though. The dungeons and raids are also way better. But don't let anyone tell you the game changes after ARR. It does not.

The story changes and the pace gets much better, but yeah a lot of the quests are boring from a gameplay perspective. I think post-ARR they do a more with what you can do in solo instances to give you more to do than "go here, click that" but it's not going to massively change up the gameplay or anything. The dungeons are definitely much better, too.

I also think, separate from the quest design, that the jobs and their skills get more fun the higher level you get, and a lot of jobs spend the first half of ARR being really slow and boring in combat. That part does change, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

GoGoGadget posted:

That sounds a lot like what you do in rpgs