Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Former baker here too.
Lmao if you've never made some jank rear end lookin bread, called it "hearty" or "rustic" and either sold it at a premium, or let your friends/family tell you how great and authentic it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Also, again, it says something that the internet can conjure up a dismissive nickname like Karen or BBQ Becky or whatever after a single incident and have it spread across the web on memes in days, but you get twitter and this thread arguing option after option for a male equivalent and it'll never be settled. Like nobody's out here calling racist men Christophers after the dude who called the cops on his black neighbor for daring to exist in the building while his son begged him not to. They just call him an rear end in a top hat.

I mean I get it, you wanna call out the white privileged ladies who abuse that privilege and Karen is a very boomer-era name that not a lot of millenials or zoomers will have so it's a fairly "safe" target to become the placeholder for annoying entitled customers but, the internet being what it is, it's just a matter of time before it just becomes another term for "difficult woman," like we needed more of that. It doesn't mean everyone who uses it is a misogynist, but it is one of those internet things.

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

I always figured it was Karen because of Karen from Will and Grace who is all of those stereotypes. Even Dane Cook chose Karen as the name of that friend no one likes (I know but it's the second oldest media I know that used Karen dismissively).

This can't be this new.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

The solution is mandatory genderfluid injections (aka vaccines)

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

BallisticClipboard posted:

This can't be this new.

It's not new, it's just had a resurgence through memes.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/AITA_reddit/status/1247223066767302663

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hyperhazard posted:

"Removable eyelids."

Yeah, for changing the expressions/cleaning purposes. Why you'd take the eyebrows off for cleaning idk. It's not that weird for a costume.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

All eyelids are removable if you think about it.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Huntersoninski posted:

Like nobody's out here calling racist men Christophers after the dude who called the cops on his black neighbor for daring to exist in the building while his son begged him not to. They just call him an rear end in a top hat.

You're forgetting 'Kyle' is a thing (douche-bags fueled only by anger and Monster, known for punching holes in the wall). It may not be the male equivalent of Karen, but it's still a gendered name used as an insult.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Huntersoninski posted:

Also, again, it says something that the internet can conjure up a dismissive nickname like Karen or BBQ Becky or whatever after a single incident and have it spread across the web on memes in days, but you get twitter and this thread arguing option after option for a male equivalent and it'll never be settled. Like nobody's out here calling racist men Christophers after the dude who called the cops on his black neighbor for daring to exist in the building while his son begged him not to. They just call him an rear end in a top hat.

I mean I get it, you wanna call out the white privileged ladies who abuse that privilege and Karen is a very boomer-era name that not a lot of millenials or zoomers will have so it's a fairly "safe" target to become the placeholder for annoying entitled customers but, the internet being what it is, it's just a matter of time before it just becomes another term for "difficult woman," like we needed more of that. It doesn't mean everyone who uses it is a misogynist, but it is one of those internet things.

This doesn’t really make sense unless you think Karen or Becky are like more feminine than other names? I don’t know this is a stretch

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam

Eh! Frank posted:

You're forgetting 'Kyle' is a thing (douche-bags fueled only by anger and Monster, known for punching holes in the wall). It may not be the male equivalent of Karen, but it's still a gendered name used as an insult.

I hear Karen a lot but I have never heard Kyle in this context.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Abolish cis people and the stereotypes will explode into a rainbow of uncountably infinite genders

They/them people gender like this, Zie/zir people gender like this

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

CharlestheHammer posted:

This doesn’t really make sense unless you think Karen or Becky are like more feminine than other names? I don’t know this is a stretch

They're women's names. That's my point. The internet can get together and pick a name and go with it when it's a woman's name. When it's trying to do the same for men, it generally can't settle in one unless it's incels who do that for everything or apparently Kyle, which I've never heard of till now but I'm not super plugged in to the meme scene.

Again, I'm not saying anyone who uses these slang names is a bad person, I get it. Karen is a Boomer name and so the younger folks making these jokes can relate it to a teacher/parent/aunt/whatever they knew as a kid and conjure an image of a whiny, entitled customer. but just look at this thread, nobody can settle on a male version and one poster even felt sorry for men who share a name irl with the hypothetical meme.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I know two Kyles and neither fit that stereotype.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Huntersoninski posted:

They're women's names. That's my point. The internet can get together and pick a name and go with it when it's a woman's name. When it's trying to do the same for men, it generally can't settle in one unless it's incels who do that for everything or apparently Kyle, which I've never heard of till now but I'm not super plugged in to the meme scene.

Again, I'm not saying anyone who uses these slang names is a bad person, I get it. Karen is a Boomer name and so the younger folks making these jokes can relate it to a teacher/parent/aunt/whatever they knew as a kid and conjure an image of a whiny, entitled customer. but just look at this thread, nobody can settle on a male version and one poster even felt sorry for men who share a name irl with the hypothetical meme.

You didn’t really clarify your point.

If the issue is they are women’s names then being laser focused on a particular name doesn’t matter in the slightest unless you believe Karen is somehow feminine than other names

Like I said a stretch

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
I'm not saying Karen is a more feminine name. I'm saying that people had a really easy time agreeing on how to stereotype specific kind of women and nobody needed a Twitter poll to agree on it. It's not the name. It's the fact that, culturally, it's way easier for folks to make female stereotypes like these into long lived memes than male ones.

E: like, use the Karen slang if you really want to, I'm not trying to stop you

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Know Your Meme implies that this use of Karen has roots in Mean Girls, with the line "Oh my god, Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white." Anecdotally, I noticed a lot of "Karens" and "Beckys" originated from Black Twitter, and a lot of that probably stuck with the internet population at large. There probably hasn't been a need to have a "male version" of it, because the equivalent probably boils down to "gamer," except replace "speaking to the manager" with "writing an angry editorial about how Jill Valentine wears short shorts instead of a skirt now."

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I know two Kyles and neither fit that stereotype.

I heard the Trashfuture Podcast (which is good and funny) use the more colorful "guy from Nebraska named Kevin", and it was very funny because I know a guy from Nebraska named Kevin and he is a sweet and anxious nerdy fella with a dece income working at a non-profit who would only put a hole in a wall because a cat is stuck in there

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

also I have experienced the "male Karen" as a bartender; it is the boomer guy who does not directly confront, or ask to see the manager, but loudly and passively says to nobody and everybody, "this is the worst martini I've ever had"

this guy In thinking of in particular looked like a Chet

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Karen originated as an AAVE term and it applied to a specific type of privileged white lady. Internet people saw it on twitter or wherever and some of those people people use it in a lovely way. White people misappropriate AAVE terms they see on the internet all the time (see: bougie as a prime example.)

Karen is in no way a slur, but it has been used misogynistically by people on the internet. That doesn’t mean everyone saying it is using it that way, but it does give centrists cover to whine about it. And it’s a reason to consider how you’re using the word before using it, or how whoever you’re reading is using the word before you retweet/etc. it.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

Huntersoninski posted:

It's the fact that, culturally, it's way easier for folks to make female stereotypes like these into long lived memes than male ones.

Napolean, Judas, Pilate, etc. say: "Sup?"

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
Get to know more Kyles then because the internet is already on board with the Kyle meme

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.knowyourmeme.com/memes/kyle

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

What's interesting is those are all real people (I mean Judas maybe not but still). Real men who do real notable things have their names used like that all the time, you're right. But like there was no original Becky who was such a notorious rear end in a top hat that her legend spread across the world and is written in history books. I'd say that's a different kind of slang than the one that Twitter poll is about. But I wasn't specific, you're right.

Captain Monkey posted:

Karen is in no way a slur, but it has been used misogynistically by people on the internet. That doesn’t mean everyone saying it is using it that way, but it does give centrists cover to whine about it. And it’s a reason to consider how you’re using the word before using it, or how whoever you’re reading is using the word before you retweet/etc. it.

That's well put, thanks for this.

Rat Patrol has a new favorite as of 20:46 on Apr 6, 2020

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

Nimrod, Quisling, Poindexter, Cletus...

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Ok boomer: cultural appropriation from zoomers?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

this is some cringey meme meta discussion

The General
Mar 4, 2007

hawowanlawow posted:

this is some cringey meme meta discussion

Fairly sure I found The Idiots On Social Media on this page. (myself included because here I am adding to the idiocy)

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/christianizcool/status/1230944743233900544?s=21

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

Huntersoninski posted:

What's interesting is those are all real people (I mean Judas maybe not but still). Real men who do real notable things have their names used like that all the time, you're right. But like there was no original Becky who was such a notorious rear end in a top hat that her legend spread across the world and is written in history books. I'd say that's a different kind of slang than the one that Twitter poll is about. But I wasn't specific, you're right.

Mary Magdalene

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Huntersoninski posted:

I'm not saying Karen is a more feminine name. I'm saying that people had a really easy time agreeing on how to stereotype specific kind of women and nobody needed a Twitter poll to agree on it. It's not the name. It's the fact that, culturally, it's way easier for folks to make female stereotypes like these into long lived memes than male ones.

E: like, use the Karen slang if you really want to, I'm not trying to stop you

I know your not that’s my point your argument is flailing without any seeming ability to form a coherent point.

It’s just the negative woke stereotype as far as I can see

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

I know your not that’s my point your argument is flailing without any seeming ability to form a coherent point.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Martel_Society

:magemage:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Nimrod's an amusing example because the term that caught on was used ironically. Bugs Bunny was making fun of Elmer Fudd by comparing him to Nimrod because Nimrod was known to be a great hunter, but because most kids only knew the term from the cartoon, they just took it as a word for idiot due to not having the historical/biblical context and it stuck as that.

The only pop cultural use of the name that is actually accurate and non-ironic is Nimrod the Sentinel from the X-men series, the ultimate sentinel and ultimate mutant hunter.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think their argument is that the Karen meme is ultimately about a white person abusing privilege. We created a meme that attacks white women for that lovely behavior, but white men, who have even more privilege, and engage in this lovely behavior even more often, don't have an equivalent meme pointing that out. The misogyny is how quickly and easily women were attacked when men engage in the same behavior at an even greater level.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

BioEnchanted posted:

Nimrod's an amusing example because the term that caught on was used ironically. Bugs Bunny was making fun of Elmer Fudd by comparing him to Nimrod because Nimrod was known to be a great hunter, but because most kids only knew the term from the cartoon, they just took it as a word for idiot due to not having the historical/biblical context and it stuck as that.

The only pop cultural use of the name that is actually accurate and non-ironic is Nimrod the Sentinel from the X-men series, the ultimate sentinel and ultimate mutant hunter.

It's also a pretty common contemporary Hebrew name.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Spoiler: He doesn't have kids

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Karen became normalized when a whole bunch of fragile white women kept getting caught on camera calling the cops on black people for existing. Mocking ignorant racists is good. Making it about misogyny completely misses the point. The reason why it's Karen and not Kyle is because men usually don't call the cops to do their dirty work, they just straight up try to kill them themselves. That's not abusing privilege, that's just straight up being a murderous violent rear end in a top hat.

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

So I think I may be an idiot on social media. I've got a friend who gets very excited about ideas sometimes and usually needs calming down. Last week, he sent me a message saying he needed to contact the press to tell them his idea, and asked me to share his video. The idea is relatively simple, use bags from home instead of supermarket baskets/trolleys to avoid contamination. I happily agreed to put it on Facebook for him.

Yesterday, he sent me another video. And asked me to share it with all of my 33 followers on twitter. So I did.

I'm not sure why I'm uploading videos of an old nearly naked man online but there you go. Here's a still from the video.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Dienes posted:

I think their argument is that the Karen meme is ultimately about a white person abusing privilege. We created a meme that attacks white women for that lovely behavior, but white men, who have even more privilege, and engage in this lovely behavior even more often, don't have an equivalent meme pointing that out. The misogyny is how quickly and easily women were attacked when men engage in the same behavior at an even greater level.

I mean the equivalent would be cletus but they aren’t really comparable because the anger ultimately doesn’t manifest the same way in women and men.

People make fun of rednecks though they are more violent in nature which I guess throws people off but it’s fundamentally the same idea

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

sugar mouse posted:

So I think I may be an idiot on social media. I've got a friend who gets very excited about ideas sometimes and usually needs calming down. Last week, he sent me a message saying he needed to contact the press to tell them his idea, and asked me to share his video. The idea is relatively simple, use bags from home instead of supermarket baskets/trolleys to avoid contamination. I happily agreed to put it on Facebook for him.

Yesterday, he sent me another video. And asked me to share it with all of my 33 followers on twitter. So I did.

I'm not sure why I'm uploading videos of an old nearly naked man online but there you go. Here's a still from the video.

Isn't it generally recommended to use the plastic bags from the store because you can just throw them away and sterilize all the food individually? Cloth bags are hard to sterilize, so you're just bringing any contamination into your house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
All the nearby grocery stores are forbidding people to bring their own bags. It protects the grocery baggers.