Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, I've travelled with more gear internationally than probably anyone in this thread (and still almost cry with happiness every time I walk past the oversize luggage counter and don't have anything to drop off) and honestly spwrozek is right: the only annoying part is the actual travelling. As long as you're not moving to a different resort every 2 days it's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanky Bean
Dec 30, 2004

Snowing again and I cant go ski 🥺. Hope everyone stays healthy. Maybe the 20/21 season is going to be really really good.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Skistar finally announced that they will close their Swedish mountains (Åre, Sälen, Vemdalen) for the season, after being forced to close their norwegian hills (trysil, hemsedal) almost 3 weeks ago. They're closing them starting April 6th which is the start of the easter vacation for most of sweden.

I really don't get Skistar's and Sweden's strategy, beyond chasing as much money as possible.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Lol, my dad excitedly sent me an April Fool's article about Ikon and Epic passes merging

Come on man, look at a calendar

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

The Glumslinger posted:

Lol, my dad excitedly sent me an April Fool's article about Ikon and Epic passes merging

Come on man, look at a calendar

I got this from a friend as well. Haha

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019
Not an April Fools: RIP Vail capital investments. Also furloughing basically the entire hourly workforce and canceling stock dividends.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Uncle Lloyd posted:

Not an April Fools: RIP Vail capital investments. Also furloughing basically the entire hourly workforce and canceling stock dividends.

Surely they’ll get bailed out if it gets to breaking point

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Rated PG-34 posted:

Surely they’ll get bailed out if it gets to breaking point

It's not going to; they're hanging onto capital so that they can take advantage of any fire sales of borderline bankrupt ski resorts.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

HookShot posted:

It's not going to; they're hanging onto capital so that they can take advantage of any fire sales of borderline bankrupt ski resorts.

Well naturally. But if skiing is dead for a couple years and poo poo really goes south, surely they’ll get some sweet bailout money

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
The big resort companies are pretty hosed they've been splurging huge in war with eachother and now they are staring down the barrel of losing 1/3 of their revenue this year and as much as all of it next season if projections continue to hold true.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Good for them for cutting the CEO and board salary to $0.

Shame on them for not cutting the rest of the executive's salaries to $0.

Listen it's not like they're all going to give themselves retroactive back pay and raises for their suffering and sacrifices through all this.

gently caress Vail.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

Disinterested posted:

The big resort companies are pretty hosed they've been splurging huge in war with eachother and now they are staring down the barrel of losing 1/3 of their revenue this year and as much as all of it next season if projections continue to hold true.

Can you expand on those projections?

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

http://avbullvis.avalancheresearch.ca/

quote:

The Avalanche Research Program at Simon Fraser University, Avalanche Canada and several U.S. Avalanche Centers are conducting an online survey to examine how backcountry recreationists—skiers, mountain snowmobilers, snowshoers and ice climbers—use public avalanche safety information.

We are interested to hear from backcountry users of all experience levels. Our goal is to better understand how you process hazard and terrain information provided in public avalanche forecasts. The results of this study will offer important insight for improving avalanche safety information products in Canada and the United States.

As a token of our appreciation, participants who complete the survey before May 15, 2020 will be entered in a draw for several cash prizes.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Can you expand on those projections?

The studies on the virus policymakers have been using suggest that 2/3 of the time between now and a vaccine being developed people have to practice aggressive social distancing. The timeline to a viable vaccine implementation is projected at 18 months or longer. That's per both HHS and Imperial College.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Mt. Washington is fully closed because of all the people violating social distancing rules and NH lockdown in the backcountry. MWA had to conduct 2 rescues including a rescue of a person who turned out to be an EMT who had been exposed to coronavirus patients (he got cliffed out at Tuckerman and called 911 to be belayed to safety).

Yuns fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 3, 2020

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Good share. I had it on my list to complete and this pushed me to get it done. I really like the route decision stuff, that was cool.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Disinterested posted:

The studies on the virus policymakers have been using suggest that 2/3 of the time between now and a vaccine being developed people have to practice aggressive social distancing. The timeline to a viable vaccine implementation is projected at 18 months or longer. That's per both HHS and Imperial College.

This is a pretty accurate analysis I think. The biggest issue is the destination aspect of skiing. People from all over the world come. Vail already mentioned their summer stuff may be completely cancelled. I was hoping to get a little downhill biking in this summer. We shall see.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

All the fresh snow on the mountains is really not helping!!!!

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

Yuns posted:

Mt. Washington is fully closed because of all the people violating social distancing rules and NH lockdown in the backcountry. MWA had to conduct 2 rescues including a rescue of a person who turned out to be an EMT who had been exposed to coronavirus patients (he got cliffed out at Tuckerman and called 911 to be belayed to safety).
A lot of the mountains in VT have also stated they are prohibiting uphill travel. However, it does not look like there's a fine attached to breaking that like there is in Colorado (yet?) so I guess it's just honor code and state troopers in parking lots keeping people away.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

There's a fine for uphilling on closed slopes? I thought it was a please play nice, we can't actually enforce it because it's NFS land

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Eejit posted:

There's a fine for uphilling on closed slopes? I thought it was a please play nice, we can't actually enforce it because it's NFS land
For Mt. Washington, New Hampshire is closing it in conjunction with the USFS so that the fine and prison time are actually federal.

quote:

"Violation of these prohibitions is punishable by a fine of not more than $5000.00 for an individual or $10,000.00 for an organization, or imprisonment for not more than six (6) months, or both (16 U.S.C., 18 U.S.C. 3559 and 3571)."

USFS is basically fed up too.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HrIVWziJ0Y

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

that is awesome

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Eejit posted:

Whistler is threatening to pull peoples' passes for next season if they get caught.

If there is a next season, anyway...

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Eejit posted:

They specifically said uphill travel was cool here

Moot .1415926535 fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 4, 2020

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

In an interview last week the COO at Aspen also confirmed they're not going to mess with uphilling. They've actually been "grooming" popular uphill routes too. Whether or not that's just as the cats go by while doing maintenance at on mountain facilities, I don't know but bless them

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Eejit posted:

In an interview last week the COO at Aspen also confirmed they're not going to mess with uphilling. They've actually been "grooming" popular uphill routes too. Whether or not that's just as the cats go by while doing maintenance at on mountain facilities, I don't know but bless them

Yeah I think you guys are far enough away from people that it is doable. There is also a good uphill culture there. I can just imagine the amount of people who would drive up from Denver and hike up keystone.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Can someone who knows more about this than me tell me why the adhesive on my skins is coming off onto the bottom of my board in big chunks? I have a skin saver I hang them on every time after use, and generally am careful to take good care of them. But I had a glue patch the size of my hand stuck to my board today which is not a great friction situation.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
That horrified me for a sec before I checked what thread this was in

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

ante posted:

That horrified me for a sec before I checked what thread this was in

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Can someone who knows more about this than me tell me why the adhesive on my skins is coming off onto the bottom of my board in big chunks? I have a skin saver I hang them on every time after use, and generally am careful to take good care of them. But I had a glue patch the size of my hand stuck to my board today which is not a great friction situation.

What skins and how long have you had them? After a few seasons most will do this and you need to reglue them. I find G3 to be the worst for this. BD seems a bit better. Pomoca skins are by far the best for glue life.

My next skins will be glueless/hybrid glue: https://www.backcountryaccess.com/product/contour-climbing-skins/

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

spwrozek posted:

I find G3 to be the worst for this.

Yes. I have G3's on my current AT setup, never again.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I am extremely happy with my Pomoca skins

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, they’re the grippiest G3’s I could find. My splitboard is full rocker twin tip so not a whole lot of contact area going uphill.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Uncle Lloyd posted:

What do we think this means for that email we got regarding how they'd be taking care of 19/20 epic pass holders? :ohdear:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Residency Evil posted:

What do we think this means for that email we got regarding how they'd be taking care of 19/20 epic pass holders? :ohdear:

Be glad you haven't purchased a 20/21 pass yet? No one is getting anything back from anyone. I have 4 copper day tickets that I was going to use during spring break when people were visiting. They basically had told me I am SOL (even just transfer them to next year was a no go).

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

spwrozek posted:

Be glad you haven't purchased a 20/21 pass yet? No one is getting anything back from anyone. I have 4 copper day tickets that I was going to use during spring break when people were visiting. They basically had told me I am SOL (even just transfer them to next year was a no go).

sorry, should have made the sarcasm more obvious.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Residency Evil posted:

sorry, should have made the sarcasm more obvious.

Ha, under normal times I am sure you were.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

Seriously though, long-term I wonder if this affects Vail's business a bit more. I saw a lot of complaints from people who had bought their epic passes in November to be able to use them for Spring Break, and they straight-up paid $945 or whatever it was for zero days this year, because all the mountains closed before spring break really started. My bet is a lot of people are going to be much more hesitant to drop $1000 per person on lift tickets in November for a trip that's not until six months later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

HookShot posted:

Seriously though, long-term I wonder if this affects Vail's business a bit more. I saw a lot of complaints from people who had bought their epic passes in November to be able to use them for Spring Break, and they straight-up paid $945 or whatever it was for zero days this year, because all the mountains closed before spring break really started. My bet is a lot of people are going to be much more hesitant to drop $1000 per person on lift tickets in November for a trip that's not until six months later.

If that was the case, I'd definitely be pissed. We only made it out for 4 days (out of a planned 8) this year, so not ideal, but not awful. I did just check how much the local pass was for next year and did it go up? For some reason I thought we paid <$700 last year, especially in the spring?