Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Vernacular posted:

It also reads "the last time you can spend fire tokens is sundown of day 34" at the bottom of the fire token menu posted earlier, so I think it's all but confirmed now that they're doing it the same way as last time. So yeah, not only are they running back the same dumbass arrangement, they've further empowered EoE folk by giving them the option of buying idols with fire tokens.

yeah, I would be fine with EoE as a concept, even with the weird fire token stuff, if the merge contest was the only one to get back in the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

IcePhoenix posted:

Every season is 39 days, it's even in the tagline Jeff says to start every season.

Right, sorry, I meant to say I hope you're wrong about your interpretation of Rob's comment.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

yeah, I would be fine with EoE as a concept, even with the weird fire token stuff, if the merge contest was the only one to get back in the game

Same 100%.

It is outright insane that somebody who got voted out will by default get a 1 in 6 chance to win and intimate jury relationships, not to mention the possibility of buying an idol.

Just trying to be constructive and brainstorm ways to make it less of a disaster: the EofE folk should be put in more situations where they have the option to deceive each other for fire tokens. That way those relationships are actually tested instead rapport automatically building just by virtue of their shared experience.

vvv that would be fine as well

Vernacular fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Apr 4, 2020

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Honestly, even if they needed to have a second re-entry point for whatever reason, F6 is way too late. Make it mid-merge, like F8 or something so people still have to fight.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I think last season perma broke Survivor for me which sucks because I think I would've loved this season otherwise. I basically only have been in this for Yul and I bet he'll barely be on now that he's on EoE.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Is the full cast jury just for this season or have they been doing that in others?

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Normy posted:

Is the full cast jury just for this season or have they been doing that in others?

It was in the other Edge of Extinction series. At least, players who stay on the Edge post-merge get to be in the jury, which was effectively most of the cast.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Normy posted:

Pretty much everyone but Sandra is on the Jury.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Winners aren't stupid. You have to know they're bringing the last EoE returnee to the final 3 as a zero vote getter. Even if it was Rob, I don't think a season full of winners is going to let a gimmick win.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Stokes posted:

Winners aren't stupid. You have to know they're bringing the last EoE returnee to the final 3 as a zero vote getter. Even if it was Rob, I don't think a season full of winners is going to let a gimmick win.

There's no reason to even go to all the trouble of trying to get back in if that's the prevailing logic. They are all drinking the same koolaid, returnees will be a threat to win no doubt.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think its a mistake to assume any EoE returnee would be a zero vote finalist unless they've really gone out of their way to piss people off. They're probably still going to get at least some votes just because they suffered with the jury themselves for at least some amount of time.

It just seems safer to vote off EoE returnees ASAP, especially if its someone like Rob who you know has at least one guaranteed vote in Amber.

e;fb

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Yeah like, imagine if Ethan somehow returns and gets back in with the relationships he's formed on EoE. They would vote him to win if he's sitting at Final Tribal.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Look the first time was a surprise to players and audience alike, but the EoE is part of the game.

I'm reminded of when MtG introduced the term exile, replacing "removed from the game entirely". Now exile is just another zone, and occasionally things can come back into play!

If you got blindsided by this fact at a tourney somehow, that would be shocking and maybe seem unfair, but the game is just expanded slightly. The rules are known. Cope.

Let's say Natalie gets in at final 6 and then wins after spending the whole season on EoE, then just maybe the entire strategy (or lack thereof) of sending every single OG player into the suffer together jury pool island was a big dumb mistake. Like fire tokens, it adds another layer to the strategy. I may agree that it damages the purity of the core essence of Survivor, but that ship has long sailed anyway.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Honestly I think swaps and tribe shuffles are far more BS than EoE is.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013

IcePhoenix posted:

Was just watching the deleted scenes and there's an EoE scene from after the challenge where Rob mentions 17 more days so that means the last returnee challenge is going to be final six, which is way too late and I'm really worried that someone (Rob) is going to win the same way Chris did.

I’ve been worried since early on when Rob and Michelle had that conversation about how so many people didn’t think Michelle deserved to win her season and rob said something along the lines of “Look - if you win, you deserved to win”. And ever since that I can’t help but have the bad feeling they put that in as foreshadowing to justify rob winning after coming back at final 6 with an idol or some bullshit like that

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The Bloop posted:

Look the first time was a surprise to players and audience alike, but the EoE is part of the game.

I'm reminded of when MtG introduced the term exile, replacing "removed from the game entirely". Now exile is just another zone, and occasionally things can come back into play!

If you got blindsided by this fact at a tourney somehow, that would be shocking and maybe seem unfair, but the game is just expanded slightly. The rules are known. Cope.

Nobody is blindsided by this we just think it's dumb as gently caress and were hoping they had learned from the first one.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

The Bloop posted:

hey can you link me to the survivor comprehensive rules, and tournament rules? thanks

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Lone Goat posted:

hey can you link me to the survivor comprehensive rules, and tournament rules? thanks

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

oh that's way shorter than the rules for how to play magic the gathering, which is 230+ pages, and then another 50-some for rules on how tournaments are run, and easily available online.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

The Bloop posted:

but truly the dumbest part of this post is that things could come back from "removed from the game entirely" zone like seven years before the term exile was coined.

freeman
Aug 14, 2018
I'm hopeful that the Chris win was just a fluke and even if the returnee gets to the end they'll lose anyways. Except for Ethan of course. Or unless it's a F2 against Adam.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
EoE is "unfair" in the sense that the Final 6 returnee will always be the frontrunner to win the game because (1) by nature of their return they are good at challenges, (2) by precedent they may come back with some sort of advantage or idol, (3) they got to know and bond with the jury for potentially weeks on end over their shared misery, (4) the jury is predisposed to reject any FTC argument the EoE is "unfair" because otherwise that means they wasted their time out there. Even though the players know about EoE in advance this season there's not really much of a way to strategically counter-play EoE except pray you get a shot to vote them out at F6 or F5. Maybe if you could find an army of goats (unlikable yet loyal) who are also challenge beasts you can boost your odds of keeping Immunity out of the hands of the EoE returnee? Absent that, I've got nothing.

It's not to say the last Edge returnee will always win, but they're going to be the de facto frontrunner to win the game despite not having done much to earn that status which feels unsatisfying if not unfair.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Also whether it's stated onscreen or not (and it shouldn't be) there's a heavy, heavy incentive for the EoE folks to just make a pact to vote at the end for whichever one of them returns. Like, why wouldn't you?

I think I'm a little biased toward thinking it's stupid because the first EoE season was goat city at the end and we knew whoever won the fire-making would win the season (and... it was the two EoE guys). So that was the worst possible scenario, it's can't be that bad every time... right???????

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I think the major difference between Redemption and Edge is that, at least with Redemption island you are constantly being tested to stay in the game, so being voted out early comes with a heavier penalty of having to survive more challenges before you are allowed back in, and feels more "deserving" (whatever that means) and is also simply more entertaining. Edge gives a lot more screen time to people voted out to provide nice emotional scenes and talk about their struggle on the edge, but at the end of the day, they just need to endure starvation conditions to make it to the final challenge to get back in, which is not good television if you were looking for strategy and gameplay.

The big thing from the first time Edge came around that really stunk was that the eventual winner was someone who was voted out really early. I kind of found Rick annoying but I wouldn't have been disappointed if he had won at the end, even if he had been one of the edge returnees. And if someone who had been voted out more recently returned it probably wouldn't have stunk so much if they eventually won. It being the third boot of the entire game that ended up taking it was the part that really sucked.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Also, Redemption Island didn't become the jury. It's a bit weird to have one half of the jury know about Edge and the other half know about the tribe with little overlap.

Though I guess it's not much different from spending post-merge in Ponderosa before casting a jury vote. Difference of magnitude but maybe not end result.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Rick was the first Edge returnee.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

pokeyman posted:

Though I guess it's not much different from spending post-merge in Ponderosa before casting a jury vote. Difference of magnitude but maybe not end result.

The big difference is that the people in ponderosa spending time with each other can't get back into the game

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lone Goat posted:

but truly the dumbest part of this post is that things could come back from "removed from the game entirely" zone like seven years before the term exile was coined.

Indeed, attack an irrelevant detail of something that was already a vague comparison lol. You remember dates that magic card things happened better than I. You got me!

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Big Taint posted:

Rick was the first Edge returnee.

Yes?

Edit: Oh I see I didn’t make it clear. Chris, the third boot, was the disappointing winner. I know Rock was the first one to return.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

The Bloop posted:

Indeed, attack an irrelevant detail of something that was already a vague comparison lol. You remember dates that magic card things happened better than I. You got me!

no i just looked it up, rather than spew off about something i didn't know

it was a real fuckin bad comparison though

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Just finished the episode, it was fine. Tyson is cool, so that could be fun down the road. Was rooting for Rob, but there’s a decent shot he gets back in on the second EoE challenge. No strong feelings about Wendell so that’s fine.

But OH MY GOD AUSTRALIAN SURVIVOR SEASON FIVE IS SO FREAKING GOOD. Watching the 2018 season right now and I think I might have just witnessed one of the greatest plays in the history of the game, US or AU Survivor.

Spoilers for Australian Survivor season five. DO NOT CLICK if you haven’t watched it, this is seriously one of the best seasons of Survivor I can remember, US or otherwise. I’m only up to the episode where this all went down so I’d appreciate no further spoilers till I have time to finish the season, or at least a warning if the spoiler box spoils past this point.

Watching Benji talk Sharn into wasting her idol on herself instead of saving Mat was potentially a “Erik gives up his immunity necklace” level play. It’ll depend on how the rest of the season unfolds, but holy poo poo that was brilliant.

I’m guessing there will be terrible fallout that could potentially derail Benji’s game, but good god that was one incredible Jedi mind trick he pulled. She was standing directly next to Jonathan and said out loud “I’m playing this for Mat” and he still managed to put the toothpaste back in the tube and get Mat out. Wowwwwwww.

If anyone is feeling a little burnt out on US Survivor I’d again recommend dipping your toe into the Australian version. The seasons I’ve watched so far have all been tremendous.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I think they should just make EoE the runner up prize. Just make it survivor for the losers and you get like 200k if you win the EoE vote.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

BGrifter posted:

Just finished the episode, it was fine. Tyson is cool, so that could be fun down the road. Was rooting for Rob, but there’s a decent shot he gets back in on the second EoE challenge. No strong feelings about Wendell so that’s fine.

But OH MY GOD AUSTRALIAN SURVIVOR SEASON FIVE IS SO FREAKING GOOD. Watching the 2018 season right now and I think I might have just witnessed one of the greatest plays in the history of the game, US or AU Survivor.

Spoilers for Australian Survivor season five. DO NOT CLICK if you haven’t watched it, this is seriously one of the best seasons of Survivor I can remember, US or otherwise. I’m only up to the episode where this all went down so I’d appreciate no further spoilers till I have time to finish the season, or at least a warning if the spoiler box spoils past this point.

Watching Benji talk Sharn into wasting her idol on herself instead of saving Mat was potentially a “Erik gives up his immunity necklace” level play. It’ll depend on how the rest of the season unfolds, but holy poo poo that was brilliant.

I’m guessing there will be terrible fallout that could potentially derail Benji’s game, but good god that was one incredible Jedi mind trick he pulled. She was standing directly next to Jonathan and said out loud “I’m playing this for Mat” and he still managed to put the toothpaste back in the tube and get Mat out. Wowwwwwww.

If anyone is feeling a little burnt out on US Survivor I’d again recommend dipping your toe into the Australian version. The seasons I’ve watched so far have all been tremendous.
Australian Survivor s2 and s3 (aka seasons 2017 and 2018) are top tier Cagayan-level seasons. Absolutely incredible stuff and 4 is very good too. Seasons 1 and 5 are pretty hit or miss but I really like Australian Survivor, more than US Survivor for sure, although the experience of watching US Survivor is still a little better for me despite being a weaker product because of weekly episodes instead of thrice weekly, because it's viewed by people other than Australians and Survivor nerds, and so on.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 6, 2020

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I’d probably rank the Australian seasons something like 2 > 4 > 3 > 5 > 1. They’re all pretty good but 5 and 1 have some episodes that drag.

I think the best format for the show would be 90 minute episodes, 18 or 20 player cast, and no comeback or non-elimination twists.

Australian Survivor has some amazing camp scenes and the challenges are normally pretty great.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
The thing that’s really jarring for me about Australian Survivor is the same thing I experience when watching old seasons of US Survivor, it’s astounding how many budget cuts the US show has seen over the last decade.

Australian Survivor seems to have some real money behind it. So the challenges are huge, some rewards are tied to big name sponsors, the casts are significantly larger and seasons last longer.

Both shows are good, but the Australian version feels a lot like those mid-range US Survivor seasons I love so much from around All-Stars to Samoa/HvV.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
I don't think the budget for AU Survivor is actually any bigger. Some of the challenge builds are clearly bigger, but not by a huge factor (it's still just the usual obstacle course followed by puzzle or endurance challenge most of the time, just built to last a little longer to eat up a few extra minutes of the longer runtime). Almost everything else is noticably lower budget though: the prize money, sending pre-mergers home after being voted out, and the editing all jump to mind. I've heard Nick from the 2016 season talk a bit about production on podcasts and he's mentioned that he thinks there's a lot less camera coverage of camplife for budget reasons, for instance.

The editing is really rough when you know to look for it; there's a lot of spliced and frankenbited confessionals compared to the US show and often a player will start a confessional in one location and then finish it in another location. I think there are a variety of reasons for this including: it's easier and cheaper to not worry about polishing that stuff, the editors have much less time to put the season together and have to pad longer runtimes, and making up for less camplife footage. It makes for a disjointed and hard-to-follow narrative which I felt like was at it's worst at the end of the 2019 season where I really had almost no idea what was happening or why people were alligning with or betraying each other and all the confessionals were just "I've got to.... do what's best for.... My game and that.... might mean voting out a... Big threat.... because he's a.... Big Threat."

I do still think AU Survivor is an impressive production and I admire the epicness they convey which is definitely something that gets lost in some of the modern U.S. seasons. If nothing else, it is certainly nice to see a high quality English language Survivor which didn't really exist ~5 years ago. The modern South African version is pretty solid too; the short-lived NZ one was pretty low budget and janky though.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I don't know if the spliced up confessionals were as bad in 1-3 but after I first got made aware of them in s4 I was just in awe of how much they were abusing them. s4 also had them just hide major components of the story (Sam vs. Daisy pre-swap, everything involving Simon Black generally). I think at one point they didn't show the votes because they didn't feel like explaining what happened. s4 was a lot worse than any of the others in this respect at least afaik.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I think I like that phrasing better to get at what I was aiming for. It’s not so much a dollars and cents thing as much that Australian Survivor feels “epic” in a way US Survivor used to but hasn’t since that run of terrible seasons around One World.

I still enjoy US Survivor but the locations often feel very small and uninteresting. Something about the presentation in the AU version takes me back to how the US show used to feel. I’m pretty sure they’re using locations used on the US show, but they’re presented a little differently.

Both shows are great! I think I’m just loving what a breath of fresh air Australian Survivor is vs elements of US Survivor that maybe feel a little stale.

Edit: Wow, AU Survivor season five just poo poo the bed hard. Yikes. What a colossal disappointment.

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Apr 7, 2020

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Edit: Got the answer.

Sand Monster fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Apr 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

i'm very tired of this focus on adam

honestly worrying he'll have been the winner at this point, he's probably the person i'd least like to see