Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/benbrelje_says/status/1247217498950377475?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

lmao

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Holy poo poo. He wrote a passive aggressive memo and then read it aloud to the crew!!!

Edit: You almost have to admire the level of idiot self-belief that thinks that's a good idea.

'Ha! He thought as he strode to the microphone. I shall crush these fools who dared to dissent against my superior judgement'

I just couldn't ever muster that level of oblivious self-confidence.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 6, 2020

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
https://twitter.com/coeumo/status/1247212840089309184

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

lmao

https://soundcloud.com/paul-szoldra/acting-secnav-modley-criticizing-capt-crozier-to-sailors-onboard-uss-theodore-roosevelt

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
battleship potemkin teddy roosevelt

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
I'm not an expert on naval traditions and high level leadership.

But

I'm pretty sure if you're addressing people whose popular CO you just removed, it's best not to call their old CO "stupid" or "naive". Like try not to say anything bad about them if you can possibly help it. Maybe if you feel the need to address them about the matter, just say something like "can't have this stuff going to the media, everyone knows that, rules are rules sorry" and leave it at that.

Or launch a quarter-hour profane address where you poo poo on the guy these people were cheering 3 days ago, whose actions they likely see as saving their lives. Maybe that was the right call, idk

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
If the captain leaked the letter to the media, that's probably worth retiring him after the crisis is done. You really, really aren't supposed to do that. Doesn't matter if Teddy Roosevelt did it; Teddy Roosevelt did a lot of things.

But that's a big if. It assumes facts not in evidence, and is monumentally bad for both PR (which is not critical) and morale (which is). I am one of the most Trump-sympathetic people on this forum, but if I were POTUS I'd be looking for a new Secretary of the Navy and at minimum chewing out my Secretary of Defense.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Captain von Trapp posted:

If the captain leaked the letter to the media, that's probably worth retiring him after the crisis is done. You really, really aren't supposed to do that. Doesn't matter if Teddy Roosevelt did it; Teddy Roosevelt did a lot of things.

But that's a big if. It assumes facts not in evidence, and is monumentally bad for both PR (which is not critical) and morale (which is). I am one of the most Trump-sympathetic people on this forum, but if I were POTUS I'd be looking for a new Secretary of the Navy and at minimum chewing out my Secretary of Defense.

POTUS should be looking for a new SECNAV anyway because we don't have one.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Isn’t the reason for all these interim postings so that it doesn’t require senate confirmations and hearings airing out all their dirty laundry and how massively unqualified and cronied up they are?

Also makes it easier to just fire them whenever too.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

Yeah, how did the letter get to the media anyways? Might have been a good idea to nail that down before shitcanning the captain in front of the entire planet. "Wrote an email with 20 recipients" isn't an offense. It's not anything, depending on who those people were. If he BCC'D a reporter that's one thing. If it was someone in Crozier's chain of command who did it, that's something very different. "Oh he should have known it would leak" bs. If he treated the information like he was supposed to (and no evidence had been presented he didn't) then he did nothing wrong.

But let's not be stupid here. He got fired because he wrote something that contradicted the administration's narrative that everything is fine and corona is a big hoax. This administration doesn't give a good goddamn about operational security. I know the Navy does, but his firing was a snap political thing secnav did because he knew Trump was going to demand it anyways. This is on record from secnav and Trump both. There was no investigation, so its results obviously didn't matter.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Uncle Enzo posted:

I'm not an expert on traditions and high level leadership.

Neither are the fuckpile of sycophants and flunkies in the administration.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Maybe it's us who should look for a new POTUS instead

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Maybe it's us who should look for a new POTUS instead

Unfortunately there aren't likely to be an good candidates on the ballot come November.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

SimonCat posted:

Unfortunately there aren't likely to be an good candidates on the ballot come November.

Should I vote for the sundowning Boomer who is on the wrong side of history when it comes to race and sexual assault?

Or should I vote for the sundowning Silent Gen'er who is on the wrong side of history when it comes to race and sexual assault?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

SimonCat posted:

Perhaps we should try without a ballot if things get worse!

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Perhaps we should try without a ballot if things get worse!

People in the more excitable corners of the internet like this idea. Historically though, it usually results in a worse government and also everyone involved dies.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Uncle Enzo posted:

Yeah, how did the letter get to the media anyways? Might have been a good idea to nail that down before shitcanning the captain in front of the entire planet. "Wrote an email with 20 recipients" isn't an offense.

He sent it out unclassified on an unclassified channel. There's no way this wasn't an intentional leak. Almost certainly because he didn't think there was any other way to get help through proper channels, but he knew full well as soon as he hit send that he might as well have been sending it straight to the papers.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

McNally posted:

Should I vote for the sundowning Boomer who is on the wrong side of history when it comes to race and sexual assault?

Or should I vote for the sundowning Silent Gen'er who is on the wrong side of history when it comes to race and sexual assault?

Literally anyone else would be better than what we have.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Phanatic posted:

He sent it out unclassified on an unclassified channel. There's no way this wasn't an intentional leak.

I dunno. I realize carriers have plenty of SIPR capacity, but tons of units right now across the military are reporting on COVID-19 impacts to ops/training on unclassified FOUO systems. It is the norm unless explicitly sending up classified USR/DRRS reporting.

The tone of his letter is less dry than typical, but the impacts to his mission/Sailors was outsized.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Phanatic posted:

He sent it out unclassified on an unclassified channel. There's no way this wasn't an intentional leak. Almost certainly because he didn't think there was any other way to get help through proper channels, but he knew full well as soon as he hit send that he might as well have been sending it straight to the papers.

Agreed. Literally no one in the official channels was willing to help save the lives of his crew, so he knowingly turned to the only people who might be able to in full knowledge of what would ensue.

And the official channels are calling him stupid and have fired him.

DoubleAughtMeowMix
May 3, 2006

B33 < Meow what is so funny

People in the more excitable corners of the internet like this idea. Historically though, it usually results in a worse government and also everyone involved dies.

If it gets to that point, maybe it all goes down like that. But then at least everyone involved doesn't have to suffer all the folks who wouldn't help. :shrug:

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

Phanatic posted:

Unclassified is very very not synonymous with publicly releasable. Whether the captain intended it or not, it should be perfectly possible to send unclassified without it leaking. That it's not would be a big problem, bigger than him.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Unclassified is very very not synonymous with publicly releasable. Whether the captain intended it or not, it should be perfectly possible to send unclassified without it leaking. That it's not would be a big problem, bigger than him.

It's not synonymous with it, but it makes leaking it a hell of a lot more probable and deniable for the person who leaks it.

Even slimier about the whole thing is that Modly said that Crozier's sending the letter was okay. "The fact that he wrote the letter to his chain of command to express his concerns would absolutely not result in any type of retaliation." Not 24 hours later, he retaliated. Such a loving dickbag.

https://www.businessinsider.com/navy-officer-help-with-coronavirus-on-aircraft-carrier-letter-punishment-2020-4?op=1

Oh, then there's this:

https://www.businessinsider.com/brett-crozier-emailed-coronavirus-letter-warning-panicking-2020-4?op=1

quote:

Capt. Brett Crozier of the USS Theodore Roosevelt may have been worried that Rear Adm. Stuart Baker, his immediate boss and the commander of the carrier strike group, would not have allowed him to send the warning letter to Navy leaders, according to the top Navy official who fired him as told to a Washington Post columnist.

Baker reportedly confirmed to Acting Navy Secretary Thomas Modly that Crozier's instincts were correct: "He was right. I wouldn't."

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
And so we're back to the stupidity that is firing an O-6 because he didn't click the FOUO button in outlook.

TCD posted:

The cruise ship was headed to Curacao no?

Curacao is not part of Venezuela.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

At this point I'm just playing devil's advocate, but isn't it, uh, frowned upon in the military to do something your commanding officer is probably going to forbid?

"Theirs not to reason why, theirs but to do and…" well never mind that last bit.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

llamao

https://twitter.com/stevenportnoy/status/1247326243307036674

https://twitter.com/stevenportnoy/status/1247326755511304192

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
"We need the military vote, goddamnit!"

"Fine. I'm sorry I got caught."

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

At this point I'm just playing devil's advocate, but isn't it, uh, frowned upon in the military to do something your commanding officer is probably going to forbid?

It's definitely frowned upon to go over your boss's head.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

TR posted:

"MAJOR-GENERAL SHAFTER.

SIR: In a meeting of the general and medical officers called by you at the Palace this morning we were all, as you know, unanimous in our views of what should be done with the army. To keep us here, in the opinion of every officer commanding a division or a brigade, will simply involve the destruction of thousands. There is no possible reason for not shipping practically the entire command North at once. Yellow-fever cases are very few in the cavalry division, where I command one of the two brigades, and not one true case of yellow fever has occurred in this division, except among the men sent to the hospital at Siboney, where they have, I believe, contracted it. But in this division there have been 1,500 cases of malarial fever. Hardly a man has yet died from it, but the whole command is so weakened and shattered as to be ripe for dying like rotten sheep, when a real yellow-fever epidemic instead of a fake epidemic, like the present one, strikes us, as it is bound to do if we stay here at the height of the sickness season, August and the beginning of September. Quarantine against malarial fever is much like quarantining against the toothache.
All of us are certain that as soon as the authorities at Washington fully appreciate the condition of the army, we shall be sent home. If we are kept here it will in all human possibility mean an appalling disaster, for the surgeons here estimate that over half the army, if kept here during the sickly season, will die. This is not only terrible from the stand-point of the individual lives lost, but it means ruin from the stand-point of military efficiency of the flower of the American army, for the great bulk of the regulars are here with you. The sick list, large though it is, exceeding four thousand, affords but a faint index of the debilitation of the army. Not twenty per cent. are fit for active work.

Six weeks on the North Maine coast, for instance, or elsewhere where the yellow-fever germ cannot possibly propagate, would make us all as fit as fighting-cocks, as able as we are eager to take a leading part in the great campaign against Havana in the fall, even if we are not allowed to try Porto Rico.

We can be moved North, if moved at once, with absolute safety to the country, although, of course, it would have been infinitely better if we had been moved North or to Porto Rico two weeks ago. If there were any object in keeping us here, we would face yellow fever with as much indifference as we faced bullets. But there is no object.

The four immune regiments ordered here are sufficient to garrison the city and surrounding towns, and there is absolutely nothing for us to do here, and there has not been since the city surrendered. It is impossible to move into the interior. Every shifting of camp doubles the sick-rate in our present weakened condition, and, anyhow, the interior is rather worse than the coast, as I have found by actual reconnoissance. Our present camps are as healthy as any camps at this end of the island can be.

I write only because I cannot see our men, who have fought so bravely and who have endured extreme hardship and danger so uncomplainingly, go to destruction without striving so far as lies in me to avert a doom as fearful as it is unnecessary and undeserved.

Yours respectfully,
THEODORE ROOSEVELT,
Colonel Commanding,
Second Cavalry Brigade."

Roosevelt delivered the letter to Shafter, but, presumably not convinced the corps commander would act on it in a timely fashion, also allegedly handed a copy of it to the Associated Press correspondent who was covering the Cuba beat. That correspondent quickly cabled the letter to AP headquarters and it published nationwide the same day.

The public outcry was overwhelming and unanimous in accusing the McKinley Administration of not caring about the troops. McKinley summoned his Secretary of War, Russell A. Alger, and vented his fury that the letter was leaked and ordered him to do what he could to make the problem go away. Alger ordered the Navy to send transport ships to retrieve Fifth Corps from Cuba and the Army to ready facilities at Camp Wikoff on Long Island to house the stricken soldiers once they arrived back in the United States.

Alger demurred when asked by the press whether the leak had caused him to react faster than he otherwise would have; however, he was on record as previously having asserted that no ships were available to bring Fifth Corps back from Cuba.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Godholio posted:

Curacao is not part of Venezuela.

Sorry, this might not have been clear: TCD was replying to my assertion that the cruise liner was heading to a different VZ port than the one the pirates wanted it to dock at.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://twitter.com/JournoGeoffZ/status/1247320338070814726

That'll make things better!

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

"I would never throw any of you under the bus" *threw your former CO under the bus not five minutes ago*

Like, was he told to say all that poo poo? I can kinda see where he even tried to say the right thing in tooootaly the wrong way; the bit where he attempted to shame the crew about what the sailors ashore were doing to help them. I've heard that kinda poo poo from corporate America said by people who had been in the military, it always comes across as some craven-rear end bullshit.

e: I am not, myself, particularly brave when it comes to corporate bullshit. Ignoring it and dealing with the consequences seems to have work out for me. Eh, gently caress it.

madeintaipei fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 7, 2020

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

madeintaipei posted:

"I would never throw any of you under the bus" *threw your former CO under the bus not five minutes ago*

Guy's down there in the SecNav basement with Josephus Daniels.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

Apropos of nothing, I once worked for a DoD agency that made a terribly unpopular decision that affected workforce pay, with the hardest hit being the newest and lowest paid. A senior leader sent an email to a mailing list that was basically "management-all" about how to break it to the employees during their performance reviews. It said words to the effect of "It's tempting to blame senior leadership, but don't. You must pretend with a straight face that we're right and they're wrong, even if we're plainly contradicting what we told the workforce a few months ago."

Except the senior accidentally sent the email to "agency-all". It did not help morale.

So free PR advice: they don't have to like you and your decisions, but if they don't trust you, it's a much worse problem.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Apropos of nothing, I once worked for a DoD agency that made a terribly unpopular decision that affected workforce pay, with the hardest hit being the newest and lowest paid. A senior leader sent an email to a mailing list that was basically "management-all" about how to break it to the employees during their performance reviews. It said words to the effect of "It's tempting to blame senior leadership, but don't. You must pretend with a straight face that we're right and they're wrong, even if we're plainly contradicting what we told the workforce a few months ago."

There's room at the top they're telling you still
But first you must learn how to smile as you kill
If you want to be like the folks on the hill

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Except the senior accidentally sent the email to "agency-all". It did not help morale.

So free PR advice: they don't have to like you and your decisions, but if they don't trust you, it's a much worse problem.

Nah, man. That is exactly what I was talking about.

Bread company implements SAP, poo poo is allllll fuckered up. The entire supply chain was hosed, nothing we could do. We have the regional manager come in and he says to us, all independent contractors, to tell the customers, "I forgot to order what you needed.", "Don't say anything about the company, just eat it." Lol, no. The customers want to hear something, anything, from management and that ain't it.
That hosed our relationship with Publix up for years, in Florida (Publix home turf). Spineless assholes up high dodging responsibility they've pushed down to the lowest level. Complete perversion of the Prussian system. It's just bread, no one gives a gently caress. The customers don't like the lying though.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Big props to the sailor who shouted, "What the gently caress" at Secnav.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

This is a good way to build loyalty and mutual trust. lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Out of historic curiosity, has there ever been a mutiny on a US Navy ship? I’m familiar with a few in the Royal Navy but my USN history isn’t so great.