Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

all of the monster scenes are outstanding

all of the human scenes are garbage

badabing badaboom

And that would be fine even except they kept smushing human scenes into what were supposed to be monster scenes!!!

Yes I am still mad about the stupid loving Ghidorah chase

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I just think KOM had a loving terrible main cast aside from Charles Dance. Generic Action Dad from Friday Night Lights is just so bland and terrible.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I just think KOM had a loving terrible main cast aside from Charles Dance. Generic Action Dad from Friday Night Lights is just so bland and terrible.

Early Edition has absolutely nothing likable about him as a character, while also dominating every situation and being completely acceded to at every turn by characters of higher authority and with more knowledge of the situation. It's like they intentionally tried to make the audience hate him.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Gripweed posted:

Early Edition has absolutely nothing likable about him as a character, while also dominating every situation and being completely acceded to at every turn by characters of higher authority and with more knowledge of the situation. It's like they intentionally tried to make the audience hate him.

They were clearly trying to go for a Bryan Cranston thing with him, but whereas Mr. Cranston has the gravitas to naturally dominate scenes his character isn't a dominant force in (eg, when he's confronting the soldiers in Janjira), the other actor did not. I think they wanted the audience to see him as a dominant force (an Alpha, if you will), but attempted to cheat the effect into reality by making everybody inexplicably bend over backward for him.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Davros1 posted:

Some leaked pics of GvK toys are out.

Spoilers Kong has a spiked club
Godzilla has a metal harness down his head and spine
The Skullcrawler is back
A new monster, a winged snake thing called "Nozuki"

If you grew up in the 90s and remember the Jurassic Park dinos with the "Battle Damage", these Playmate figs are going to have that.

These new leaks match earlier toy leaks (at least the Mega Godzilla one one) and those early toy leaks also included Mecha-Godzilla.

The new one looks pretty cool.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Irony.or.Death posted:

And that would be fine even except they kept smushing human scenes into what were supposed to be monster scenes!!!

Yes I am still mad about the stupid loving Ghidorah chase

my "favorite" scene in the movie happens there though, when she gets bonked by a gigantic foam boulder and it just kinda bounces off of her and is super obvious and terrible

if I had a gif I would post it

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Invictus posted:

my "favorite" scene in the movie happens there though, when she gets bonked by a gigantic foam boulder and it just kinda bounces off of her and is super obvious and terrible

if I had a gif I would post it

I'll take that a million times over Generic Ultra White Dad Who Is Always Right

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
KotM would be a lot better if Bradley Whitford's character wasn't one of the most annoying to ever grace a cinema screen.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Shneak posted:

KotM would be a lot better if Bradley Whitford's character wasn't one of the most annoying to ever grace a cinema screen.

quote:

According to director Michael Dougherty, Rick Stanton is loosely based on the character Rick Sanchez from the animated television series Rick and Morty, as reflected in his name, personality, sarcastic sense of humor, and his penchant for drinking.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I turned myself into a kaiju Morty. I'm kaiju Rick!!!

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Bradley: Oh they can breathe LIGHTNING now????

Dougherty: Okay, this is epic.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's Rick from R+M if it was written by high schoolers.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

If you haven't got it yet, Shin Godzilla on Blu-ray us $5 on Amazon.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Detective No. 27 posted:

If you haven't got it yet, Shin Godzilla on Blu-ray us $5 on Amazon.

Thanks for that tip! I will pass that on to a couple people I know who like kaiju stuff, but don't happen to be goons.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

At this moment, Gareth Edwards is live tweeting a Godzilla watchalong

https://twitter.com/GodzillaMovie/status/1248404869326598151?s=20

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
lol

https://twitter.com/GodzillaMovie/status/1248415547567398913

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/GodzillaMovie/status/1248424032204013570?s=20

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Legendary/status/1248422725590216706?s=20

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Thank god they used more than one computer.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They got a bigger box.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Gripweed posted:

Thank god they used more than one computer.

i wouldn't have thought of it, tbh

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

What they don't want to tell you is that they've been working on this movie since 1564.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Man, Dogora is not a good movie

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gripweed posted:

Man, Dogora is not a good movie

Oh God why did you watch Dogora

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Burkion posted:

Oh God why did you watch Dogora

Because I saw this!

https://twitter.com/tokugifs/status/1250385631454408705?s=20

Doesn't that make you want to watch Dogora?

How was I to know that that clip is literally half of the monster's screentime in the whole movie?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It's hard for me to objectively think about Dogora, because I got it on a compilation of Toho movies in the 90s on VHS. That thing has existed in my brain for a long time

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Grip, by the by, if you get a chance give Goke, Body Snatcher From Hell a shot. It's a whole thing.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Burkion posted:

Grip, by the by, if you get a chance give Goke, Body Snatcher From Hell a shot. It's a whole thing.

Ty for reminding me to rewatch the Horror Shochiku Eclipse set.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Ty for reminding me to rewatch the Horror Shochiku Eclipse set.

Absolutely, any time

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Toho did a few "monster appears for only 30 seconds" movies in the early 60s. And no one talks about them for that reason.

Remember Magma, the walrus kaiju in Gorath? Me neither.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Gorath is weird because they put the monster in specifically to help sell the film overseas, but the US release cut those scenes. (And I distinctly remember the US VHS box mentioning the monster despite it not being in the movie.)

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Dogora owns because the giant monster is entirely incidental to the zany diamond heist story. Dogora is an aspect of the setting, while the real impressive monster character is the massively entertaining Mark Jackson.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Dogora is a cool monster. It's a film that would really benefit from a remake/reimagining, especially considering the way Dogora eats carbon and all that.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Dogora owns because the giant monster is entirely incidental to the zany diamond heist story. Dogora is an aspect of the setting, while the real impressive monster character is the massively entertaining Mark Jackson.

I like the idea of a regular movie taking place during a monster movie. The problem with Dogora is that the diamond movie parts aren't good. And I'm just not as entertained by a white man speaking fluent Japanese as Japanese audiences were in the 60s

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Dammerung posted:

They were clearly trying to go for a Bryan Cranston thing with him, but whereas Mr. Cranston has the gravitas to naturally dominate scenes his character isn't a dominant force in (eg, when he's confronting the soldiers in Janjira), the other actor did not. I think they wanted the audience to see him as a dominant force (an Alpha, if you will), but attempted to cheat the effect into reality by making everybody inexplicably bend over backward for him.

Yeah I blame the writers a lot more than the actors - they are doing their best to make this terrible script work!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/1252031796956606466

I want the aloha shirt.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

https://twitter.com/artofmmignola/status/1245147610576371712

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I can't justify spending $55 on a shirt. Even if it's amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Detective No. 27 posted:

I can't justify spending $55 on a shirt. Even if it's amazing.

How much do you really need to eat for a month?