Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Residency Evil posted:

If that was the case, I'd definitely be pissed. We only made it out for 4 days (out of a planned 8) this year, so not ideal, but not awful. I did just check how much the local pass was for next year and did it go up? For some reason I thought we paid <$700 last year, especially in the spring?

It was $699 at the cheapest last year. So it is up $30 this year. It has been going to $20-30 every year since I first bought in 2011. It was $530 in the 13-14 season. So up $200 in 5 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

If that was the case, I'd definitely be pissed. We only made it out for 4 days (out of a planned 8) this year, so not ideal, but not awful. I did just check how much the local pass was for next year and did it go up? For some reason I thought we paid <$700 last year, especially in the spring?

Did you buy a spring pass last year? Vail set up a 10-day spring pass that was way cheaper since there were so many complaints after they got rid of the old WB unlimited spring pass, but it wasn't a seasons pass.

The local pass is basically the same price, like $1300 or something.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Also Canadian dollar is tanking badly, so if you're buying in CAD, that may explain the price difference.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

HookShot posted:

Did you buy a spring pass last year? Vail set up a 10-day spring pass that was way cheaper since there were so many complaints after they got rid of the old WB unlimited spring pass, but it wasn't a seasons pass.

The local pass is basically the same price, like $1300 or something.

nah epic local. $700.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

nah epic local. $700.

Oh right, forgot that gives you ten days at WB

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

So, if you buy an Epic local pass in the US, you get 10 days at WB?...for $700? Depending on exchange rate, that's almost cheaper than a 10 day Edge Card!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

ImplicitAssembler posted:

So, if you buy an Epic local pass in the US, you get 10 days at WB?...for $700? Depending on exchange rate, that's almost cheaper than a 10 day Edge Card!

Pretty much, with blackouts at the holidays. It is technically 10 days at Vail, Beaver Creek, and WB combined.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

spwrozek posted:

Pretty much, with blackouts at the holidays. It is technically 10 days of standing in line at Vail, Beaver Creek, and WB combined.

fixt

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The black crows skins are hybrid and have worked really nicely so far. Not that I've got a ton of days on them yet.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Yeah it's not a "bad deal," as much as spending $700 on a ski pass can be. Window price at Vail is like $209, so even by skiing 4 days there year we came out "ahead." It also gives you access to some places here out East (Epic Local: not local), so it works out fairly well.

For some reason $700 is some psychological barrier to me and $729 seems very expensive. Guess they need the additional revenue to make up for this year.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Seeing as it goes up $30-40 each year or is pretty expected. I only had 12 resort days this year. Maybe I would have got 20 is things were open.

I haven't bought a pass for next season yet. I probably will but who knows. I can get Copper passes for $75 at the beginning of the year.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

spwrozek posted:

Seeing as it goes up $30-40 each year or is pretty expected. I only had 12 resort days this year. Maybe I would have got 20 is things were open.

I haven't bought a pass for next season yet. I probably will but who knows. I can get Copper passes for $75 at the beginning of the year.

Was hoping to get more Copper days on my Ikon but oh well

Looking forward to spending a cool two grand on my pass next year with price creep

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

spwrozek posted:

I was planning on using Epic pass for a grand total of 15 days this year, but only got 7 in. Since there is nothing within 8 hours of me that is on the Epic pass I am questioning if I want to pick one up for next season as travel might still be problematic.

Mt. Hood Meadows gave the season passholders 100 off of next season's pass, and if they can't open next season the pass will ride till the year after.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

knox_harrington posted:

The black crows skins are hybrid and have worked really nicely so far. Not that I've got a ton of days on them yet.

black crows are the contour hybrid skins, just in a custom colour, i have them and love them

glueless skins can be total poo poo

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Ikon moving the "cheap" renewal deadline to May 27 and also bumping their renewal discount from $100 to $200 for the full pass, and $50 to $100 for base.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I have decided that it is best to hold off for now on a pass. Better to pay an extra $50 in the fall than deal with the mess that we are sure to have.

E: although who knows what a month from now will hold.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 14, 2020

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Dangerllama posted:

Ikon moving the "cheap" renewal deadline to May 27 and also bumping their renewal discount from $100 to $200 for the full pass, and $50 to $100 for base.

Hrm, this could be good.

spwrozek posted:

I have decided that it is best to hold off for now on a pass. Better to pay an extra $50 in the fall than deal with the mess that we are sure to have.

E: although who knows what a month from now will hold.

Although this is probably the correct move.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, that's what I'm doing, too.

Of course Vail aren't letting you cancel auto-renewing epic passes right now because of course they're not but that's what I'm going to be doing.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

So is there any word of EPIC/Vail doing anything like IKON did? Perhaps giving a renewal discount or any such? Also, I could not see it on their website, but does anyone know roughly when I would have to commit and buy the EPIC pass before price increase/it becomes unavailable?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

IncredibleIgloo posted:

So is there any word of EPIC/Vail doing anything like IKON did? Perhaps giving a renewal discount or any such? Also, I could not see it on their website, but does anyone know roughly when I would have to commit and buy the EPIC pass before price increase/it becomes unavailable?

They are on sale until just about Thanksgiving. They will go up in price about $50-75 in $10ish increments from now until then. I think they reduce the number of buddy passes first then start upping the price. Vail has never given a renewal discount. They delayed the purchase for the most buddy tickets into May and will reach out with more details around the end of April.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

So, realistically, on the off chance that they are going to offer some boon for pass holders who had their season cut short this year, it likely won't be a price discount but a change to buddy passes or whatnot? So, I can go ahead and purchase the passes without worry about missing out? Have they announced any plans in case they don't open next year?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

IncredibleIgloo posted:

So, realistically, on the off chance that they are going to offer some boon for pass holders who had their season cut short this year, it likely won't be a price discount but a change to buddy passes or whatnot? So, I can go ahead and purchase the passes without worry about missing out? Have they announced any plans in case they don't open next year?

I will just use epic local as an example. Right now you pay $729 and you get 10 buddy passes. They are going to tell us something in the next two weeks that might change this (but who knows what). In May there will be a deadline. The epic local will go to something like $734 and 5 buddy passes. Then in July it will be something like $749 and 5 buddy passes. Basically repeat that until October where it will be about $800-829 and include no buddy passes. Then about Thanksgiving they will stop selling the pass.

So your best bet is to wait 2 more weeks and see what Vail says they are going to do about all of this. For people with this seasons pass, what next season will hold, what happens if there is no skiing, etc.

I don't see any reason to buy right now. Wait until May since nothing will change until then anyways.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

In 2019, I bought my Epic Local Pass in March or April and my wife's in September. They were $10 different. I didn't use a single buddy pass this year, because they are loving worthless unless you're super stuck in a full window price during a holiday situation.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

resident posted:

In 2019, I bought my Epic Local Pass in March or April and my wife's in September. They were $10 different. I didn't use a single buddy pass this year, because they are loving worthless unless you're super stuck in a full window price during a holiday situation.

Buddy passes are super useful for visiting family/friends though. They are usually $30-50 cheaper than ski with a friend. I think my sister paid $85 a day at keystone when she visited with my buddy pass. Window was probably like $165 since it was new year's.

You are probably right on the price change too as I always just bought mine in April before.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Thanks for the advice. I will hold out until May as well then. My sister ended up getting an EDGE card to ride at WBC, as she is a Washington resident. We were going to go Stevens, the other resort on the EDGE card, as she had like 2 days left on it, but did not make it before they closed. I wonder if they will honor the 2 days next year.

I have a question about skis and bindings. My son has these skis that he is loving, Head KORE 87s in the 144 size. That is good for him this year, perhaps a tad long, then next year they should work out still, but 2+ years down the line is questionable. He likes the skis so much though, I ended up buying a set of them for a great price in the 162cm size.

Now, what I was thinking was that his mom or I could ride the skis every once in a while until he grows to the right size. I was thinking that installing a track binding system would work, like the one rentals come with. Looking at the product page though I notice the skis are defined as "Boys", so I am wondering if my plan will work or it will fizzle out. Some of the comments on the page seem to mention that too, but they are probably referring to the smaller sized ones. The skis I ride are roughly 160cm or so, so it seems like the ones I picked up are adult sized and I am curious as to if there would be binding and boot incompatibility. Can anyone shed some light on to this for me? The link below is for the skis in question.

https://www.evo.com/skis/head-kore-87-boys#image=161492/673504/clone.jpg

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I did a day at Keystone on a friends buddy pass and it was still like $120 or something like that.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

fknlo posted:

I did a day at Keystone on a friends buddy pass and it was still like $120 or something like that.

Ah yeah, $109 this year. The SWAF is 25% window so it is usually more.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

This is…actually pretty cool and good.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

ironlung posted:

Kicking off a storm slab while skiing boot packed skier compacted Highland Bowl is low risk compared to skiing (or snowmobiling) anything of consequence in the actual backcountry. Which tons of people are doing.

Time for ya boi to eat his words!!! https://www.aspentimes.com/news/one-person-caught-uninjured-in-highland-bowl-avalanche-near-aspen/

Rumor mill is saying Chris Davenport triggered it which is quite hilarious based upon previous discussion itt

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

ironlung posted:

Time for ya boi to eat his words!!! https://www.aspentimes.com/news/one-person-caught-uninjured-in-highland-bowl-avalanche-near-aspen/

Rumor mill is saying Chris Davenport triggered it which is quite hilarious based upon previous discussion itt

I saw that and thought of you.

The dav part I did not hear though and that is hilarious.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

We skinned up tie hack this afternoon and it was loving terrifying

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

spwrozek posted:

I saw that and thought of you.

The dav part I did not hear though and that is hilarious.

Dav wasn't caught or the trigger (the dude who was caught was the last one to ski) but I heard he was in the group, so was my neighbor (allegedly)

To be fair the resorts have now been closed for a month and this was a huge/heavy storm. These guys center punched Full Curl, I guess if you really want to get the bowl to slide that's how you'd go about doing it.

ironlung fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Apr 18, 2020

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

ironlung posted:

Dav wasn't caught or the trigger (the dude who was caught was the last one to ski) but I heard he was in the group, so was my neighbor (allegedly)

To be fair the resorts have now been closed for a month and this was a huge/heavy storm. These guys center punched Full Curl, I guess if you really want to get the bowl to slide that's how you'd go about doing it.

Yeah the guy who died over in summit and the big slide on Loveland where head scratchers. Lots of wind, 12-18" of snow. I am much more conservative at times like that though (kind of at all times).

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Summited Mt Elbert today. Got some fantastic turns as well. Easily the coolest thing I've ever done on skis, will post more once everything stops hurting

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I am not a Vail apologist but filing a class action because they had to close because of a pandemic is pretty dumb.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I think it's really the part where they offered nothing to all of the people who bought a season's pass so they could use it at spring break, and so ended up paying $900 for a piece of plastic because spring break was cancelled everywhere.

Like, I get that Vail's whole business model is "buy before December or you're paying window prices, caveat emptor" and all that, but frankly they also advertise that the mountains are going to be open at that time (not that the skiing is going to be any good) and so if they're going to renegg on that they should be offering refunds or the ability to use the passes next season to those people who bought them in good faith thinking they were going to ski at spring break.

If Vail allowed season's pass buying throughout the year like most other resorts I'd totally agree with you, but because they basically force people to buy before December, to go "welp, too bad, them's the rules" when the mountains had to shut down in March is super lovely.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

It seems like they could pretty easily have it so that the folks who did not use their pass at all this season just have it ride onto next. I would imagine the amount of people who purchased a pass and had not used it yet were definitely planning on using it for Spring skiing and purchased it in good faith.

If I could not purchase a veterans pass and had to pay the full 900 for an Epic pass next season with no sort of discount or whatnot, that would likely mean my spring break plans would shift from PCMR to Deer Valley for next season and I would not pick up an Epic pass. Perhaps they will announce something good soon, they need to at least match IKON's promise to let passes ride if next season doesn't open.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I am (fairly) sure force majeure will apply so Vail doesn't really have to do anything.

It is pretty hard to know what people intended when they bought it. Maybe they planned on going to Tahoe for Christmas break and elll Tahoe had no snow and changed to a Colorado spring break.

E: I have known a lot of local Denver folks who buy it with the best intentions and then get 1 or 2 days in.

I guess maybe if you didn't use a season pass. But still feels like a stretch

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 21, 2020

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Do we really think that people who had their spring break planned in December or earlier would have otherwise waited until mid March to buy lift tickets for their trip?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Steve French posted:

Do we really think that people who had their spring break planned in December or earlier would have otherwise waited until mid March to buy lift tickets for their trip?

Only 15+ years ago.