Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Gripweed posted:

I just watched The Day The Earth Caught Fire, which turned out to be a total disaster movie. It was recommended to me in this thread so I thought maybe disaster counted as a subgenre of horror or something.

Good movie tho

I don't think there's anything preventing disaster movies from being horror. Its just that most "disaster movies" tend to go more of the action film route.

I think like the Last Man On Earth/Omega Man/I Am Legend thing is an interesting example. They're all adaptions of the same story but one is a horror, one is sci fi, and one is action. Its all about how the film maker approaches it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Gripweed posted:

I just watched The Day The Earth Caught Fire, which turned out to be a total disaster movie. It was recommended to me in this thread so I thought maybe disaster counted as a subgenre of horror or something.

Good movie tho

Ooh, that was me. Glad you enjoyed it!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

That has the added bonus of being a creature feature.

The only movie I can think of that's definitely a disaster movie, but gets really close to horror, is Dante's peak, because it shows people melting in lava and getting liquidated in acid, and is set up in a weird way where it seems like the volcano is actively attacking the family/people. And even then, it's an action thriller.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The_Doctor posted:

Ooh, that was me. Glad you enjoyed it!

Yeah it really nailed that feeling of events being completely out of control and the world being in the hands of people you know you can't trust but have no other option. Thanks for the recommendation

But it's useless for the April Horror Challenge!

Franchescanado posted:

That has the added bonus of being a creature feature.

The only movie I can think of that's definitely a disaster movie, but gets really close to horror, is Dante's peak, because it shows people melting in lava and getting liquidated in acid, and is set up in a weird way where it seems like the volcano is actively attacking the family/people. And even then, it's an action thriller.

I've heard people argue that Twister presents all tornadoes as being basically the same entity, and once you accept that it's essentially a slasher movie

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

crawl was p good

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Gripweed posted:

Are disaster movies horror movies?

Most disaster movies are only one step away from being one of the Final Destinations (which, as it happens, rip off the underappreciated 1988 film Pulse), so: yes.

Just substitute “Death” with “The Disaster”, and/or the specific setting. Towering Infernos, and so-on. Like, the aforementioned Day Britain Stopped is about the UK’s entire transportation infrastructure taking on a mind of its own and killing the people.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Twister is basically a slasher film.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Don't forget that Deep Blue Sea is also a disaster film, just not a particularly large scale one. But the plot does involve them trying to escape to the surface because a hurricane hosed up their whole facility.

Backdraft also has horror elements. It's another one like Twister where the natural phenomenon is treated as a like a creature of a slasher.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

mike flanagan makes disasters of film AYO

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Just finished up a mini marathon of all the "canonical" non AVP Alien films. Started with Alien and ended with Alien Covenant. Honestly I was impressed the most with Alien : Resurrection. Out of all the films that one though despite it being "the worst" really wasn't that bad but it was definitely a film made in the 90s.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Carrie, Jason, Leatherface.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

King Vidiot posted:

:hmmyes:

I would've said Jason instead of Michael Myers but Halloween '78 and Halloween '18 are just too perfect. I wasn't even a Myers fan until '18, then it just clicked and now he's up there with the greats. TCM is my all-time favorite standalone horror movie (TCM 2 is amazing, but it's pretty much The Choptop Show) so Leatherface is on the list for that alone. And my favorite horror franchise is Child's Play/...of Chucky, so I have to include Chucky on my list.

pretty much agreed (I would probably also loop in Halloween II), but man Myers was completely wasted up until the new new sequel(s).

I'm very excited to rewatch TCM2, just waiting for that shipping notice from Shout.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Man, Underwater is way better than it has any right to be. Kristen Stewart killed it and the art direction/soundtrack pair so well together. I wish Cthulhu had more to do than just "bwaah" menacingly and get blown up but the sense of scale was the scariest part of the movie

I want a goddamn BioShock movie.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

If the question is "We're erasing all but 3 of these from history and they never existed" then my answer is Halloween, Exorcist, and Nightmare. Its a difficult decision but I'd still have Carrie the book and Scream probably isn't as good without the others existing to play off of.

If the question is "We're killing all of them and will never make anything new with them again" then my answer is Halloween, Exorcist, and Chucky because they're the only ones who have done anything worth seeing in 20 years anyway. Except maybe TCM and RIng because I'm not remotely caught up on them.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Mother Nature is a Bitch.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I choose... to not engage with nu-fangoria and its right wing owners.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lurdiak posted:

Then don't, and pretend we asked the same question.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Freddy, Jason and Chucky.

Couldn’t live without Freddy or Jason and Chuckys franchise is just near perfect

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Hollismason posted:

Just finished up a mini marathon of all the "canonical" non AVP Alien films. Started with Alien and ended with Alien Covenant. Honestly I was impressed the most with Alien : Resurrection. Out of all the films that one though despite it being "the worst" really wasn't that bad but it was definitely a film made in the 90s.

The Patrick Willems youtube vid about why Covenant owns really recontextualised why it is a fantastic gothic horror movie and made me love it a whole lot while still being able to hate Prometheus

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
Is the thread to post about Invisible Man? I enjoyed it way more than I would have expected from the trailers.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm going to have to go with Freddie, Jason, and Mike Meyers

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Shrecknet posted:

The Patrick Willems youtube vid about why Covenant owns really recontextualised why it is a fantastic gothic horror movie and made me love it a whole lot while still being able to hate Prometheus

+ 1 for Covenant love
-1 for Prometheus hate.

I award you no points and may god have mercy on your soul

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I watched Ju-On: The Grudge last night at work and while the movie is not good, the score is Carpenter-esque at points.

Edit: Jason, Michael, Leatherface

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Lurdiak posted:

Nu-Fangoria consistently runs amazing content that skews left more often than not. The EIC is particularly vocal about calling out the casual racism and misogyny you often find in horror circles.

Yes, its owners are probably right wing chuds, but isn't that true of nearly everything these days?

Sarchasm fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Apr 7, 2020

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

middle row stays duhhhh

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

ghostwritingduck posted:

Is the thread to post about Invisible Man? I enjoyed it way more than I would have expected from the trailers.

Absolutely, go for it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pour out a cold one and watch Cockneys Versus Zombies this April for Honor Blackman, who has passed aged 94.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

middle row stays duhhhh

my best friend kvlt! is right again

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Jedit posted:

Pour out a cold one and watch Cockneys Versus Zombies this April for Honor Blackman, who has passed aged 94.

I need to watch that, I ignored it for the longest time because the title made it seem bad but I keep seeing people recommend it.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Shneak posted:

Man, Underwater is way better than it has any right to be. Kristen Stewart killed it and the art direction/soundtrack pair so well together. I wish Cthulhu had more to do than just "bwaah" menacingly and get blown up but the sense of scale was the scariest part of the movie

I want a goddamn BioShock movie.

This and Crawl were the two movies I most regretted seeing in theatres over the last year. I *need* Underwater on a big IMAX screen.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

COOL CORN posted:

my best friend kvlt! is right again

friendship NOT ended with COOL CORN

COOL CORN will always be my best friend <3

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Saw the first two episodes of that BBC Dracula and, WOW. I haven't been so conflicted on something in a really long time. Cast is fantastic, but the script constantly flips from clever to dumbest thing ever sometimes even in the same scene. They clearly had a good budget for this one but they blow it on these great establishing shots that are like three seconds long and never reused but cheap out on the more personal effects?

I am genuinely impressed at the ways they play around with how Dracula works though, and I really really really dig this take on Dracula as more of a Hannibal Lecter style psychopath. Shame they don't capitalize on it more since they made a character a human could get inside the head of and outsmart to an extent, but instead see all the points where they wrote themselves into a corner like everything from when they make the circle of protection on the ship to when Dracula is set on fire. Like everyone just IMMEDIATELY leaves the circle as soon as one person walks out? The fire just sort of....goes away from one shot to the next?

So it's ends up being pretty blah overall but we're having fun with it. Going by how the second episode ends I'm prepared for it to go 200% to poo poo so I'm sure it will be enjoyable on that level. I appreciate that they just said gently caress it, recreate some stuff for JoJo's Bizarre Adventure at the end of episode 2 lol

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oh Neo

The last episode will hurt you so

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Burkion posted:

Oh Neo

The last episode will hurt you so

Hahah oh my god, yes. Please. Please please PLEASE post your thoughts after episode 3.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

I avoided the series based on the writers alone. Steven Moffat wrote for Dr Who, Sherlock, and Jekyll, all of which are awful imo. And Mark Gatiss is a transphobe. He's one of these comedians from the '90s who made transphobic jokes, and then rather than just say "my bad," decided to instead downplay it by literally saying "Why does this matter while ISIS exists?"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

I avoided the series based on the writers alone. Steven Moffat wrote for Dr Who, Sherlock, and Jekyll, all of which are awful imo. And Mark Gatiss is a transphobe. He's one of these comedians from the '90s who made transphobic jokes, and then rather than just say "my bad," decided to instead downplay it by literally saying "Why does this matter while ISIS exists?"

Finally someone else who hates Dr. Who!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I watched Dracula for lack of something better to do. It was mediocre for the first couple episodes, and the last one was awful with an ending that was even worse.

I liked Sherlock for the first couple of seasons. It had issues but that weren't that glaring to me until the writing took a complete nosedive from season 3 onward. The end of season 3 has him loudly declaring that he's "A high functioning sociopath". Season 4 was way way dumber than that.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

Finally someone else who hates Dr. Who!

:hfive:

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i despise dr who theres....THREE OF US

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

i despise dr who theres....THREE OF US

nah i'm with you bud, i tried watching it and it sucked so bad