Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ghostlight posted:

They redid the entire combat system.
yeah they are already doing quite a lot with doing full cinematic style visuals in both gameplay and cutscenes, voicework, and the entire combat system. dramatically altering the story is entirely unnecessary. Adding new angles, concurrent events or fleshing out side content and characters is one thing, but changing the core of it, maybe don't do that.

edit: aw yeah, time for another So This Is Basically

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYJkmRcx8xQ&hd=1

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Apr 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

marathon Stairmaster sesh posted:

I kinda feel bad for Ross here, he slowly becomes Old Man Yells at Cloud except with rougelikes as it goes on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcHDjbOx3EM
uh, wow, that intro is just a little inspired by John Carpenter's introduction for Tech Noir

quote:

“I’m recording this because this could be the last thing I’ll ever say. The city I once knew as home is teetering on the edge of radioactive oblivion; a three hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire. I’m not sorry; we had it coming…

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Joseph Anderson finally finished part one of his magnum opus on the witcher, could someone in here watch all 4 hours of it and say if its worthwhile?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtrAx-rVgco

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

JustaDamnFool posted:

Joseph Anderson finally finished part one of his magnum opus, could someone in here watch all 4 hours of it and say if its worthwhile?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtrAx-rVgco

i don't know we should ask the three other people who also posted the video in this thread

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Curious if he'll go over how the books made him hate the elves. Aside from the off-world elves, the games never really gives you reason to dislike them.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I really can't believe he's done it after 8,000 hours of work, but Joseph Anderson finally finished his Witcher Retrospective video,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A69GFMOL3w

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

You guys!!!! Joseph Anderson just released His Witcher Retrospective!!!! Check it out! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Jimbot posted:

Curious if he'll go over how the books made him hate the elves. Aside from the off-world elves, the games never really gives you reason to dislike them.

There are plenty of reasons to hate the elves on the books and in the games. Here's the thing: the elves are not indigenous to the continent and merely happened to be colonizers before the human's moved in. They are no better than humans and the ones fighting for independence and freedom do so at the expense of the elves who actually want to get along with humans.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

I really can't believe he's done it after 8,000 hours of work, but Joseph Anderson finally finished his Witcher Retrospective video,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A69GFMOL3w

No you guys, he hasn't finished it. This is only the FIRST PART of three. Crazy.

I don't know where the other two parts are but the first one's here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvkjP6dqpfY

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Oh poo poo that's right Cyberpunk 2077 is coming out in 10 days. drat, and I never managed to restock the TP in my discourse bunker after the last Star Wars. Oh well... can someone post a video here in 6 months when people figure out if it's okay or abysmal?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Nuns with Guns posted:

Oh poo poo that's right Cyberpunk 2077 is coming out in 10 days.

Not anymore its not, they pushed it back to September and that was before covid kicked off and started delaying things. At this rate it might not come out until next year.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

repiv posted:

Not anymore its not, they pushed it back to September and that was before covid kicked off and started delaying things. At this rate it might not come out until next year.

Oh thank god, I'll have enough TP to double-insulate the walls by then and I'll finally be able to play Breath of the Wild in peace.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

There are plenty of reasons to hate the elves on the books and in the games. Here's the thing: the elves are not indigenous to the continent and merely happened to be colonizers before the human's moved in. They are no better than humans and the ones fighting for independence and freedom do so at the expense of the elves who actually want to get along with humans.

I mean yeah, the Scoia'tael are easy to dislike because they do more damage than they do good. Iorveth is great because he's one of them who realizes this. But regular-rear end city elves, I found hard to hate. I do remember reading that the elves being the first colonizers in one of the in-game books but I'm not really holding that against the ones depicted in the games and hate their guts because of it.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
SpecOps the Line is great because its a direct critique of the popular war games of the time, a game where you can't stop your character from acting like a big balls military hero and the consequences of his actions get shoved right in your face repeatedly while the game explicitly asking why you're even still playing. Comparing any COD game to it in terms of 'which game presents war in the least positive light' is laughable as SpecOp is a dark mirror of a COD game to begin with.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Jimbot posted:

I mean yeah, the Scoia'tael are easy to dislike because they do more damage than they do good. Iorveth is great because he's one of them who realizes this. But regular-rear end city elves, I found hard to hate. I do remember reading that the elves being the first colonizers in one of the in-game books but I'm not really holding that against the ones depicted in the games and hate their guts because of it.

That's just it though. The squirrels are a good reason to hate the elves because they're pretty awful people. The city elves really don't have much reason to be hated, they're the ones who are actively trying to move on with their lives and getting constantly harassed because of some jumped up "freedom fighters" and the backstabbing that led to Dol Blathanna's independence.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

poparena posted:

Joseph Anderson hasn't released an actual review since June of last year.

There are people who make things right now, you know. We can go back to dunking on the guy when he puts something up.

Okay, you can go back to dunking on the guy.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Jamie Faith posted:

You guys!!!! Joseph Anderson just released His Witcher Retrospective!!!! Check it out! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

nice try but i can spot the rickroll url when i see it

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Mr Phillby posted:

SpecOps the Line is great because its a direct critique of the popular war games of the time, a game where you can't stop your character from acting like a big balls military hero and the consequences of his actions get shoved right in your face repeatedly while the game explicitly asking why you're even still playing. Comparing any COD game to it in terms of 'which game presents war in the least positive light' is laughable as SpecOp is a dark mirror of a COD game to begin with.

Except the gameplay is fun and it has a multiplayer mode, so it can't be anti-war.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

watho posted:

nice try but i can spot the rickroll url when i see it

CURSES!!! FOILED AGAIN!

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

John Murdoch posted:

Except the gameplay is fun and it has a multiplayer mode, so it can't be anti-war.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

John Murdoch posted:

this, completely unironically

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

I don't trust anyone who thinks spec ops was fun to play

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I still feel like Spec Ops: The Line was more the story of Captain Walker and his platoon than it was directed at me.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

the gameplay of spec ops is not fun. nice try

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

"Realistic" shooters are always bad.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

So I've been marathoning the old Tony Hawk games (it's one of my all-time favorite series) so that put me in the mood to watch some Tony Hawk reviews/retrospectives online. Sadly there aren't that many (at least not that many good ones) except for this channel I just found. "Rad Rat Video"
He's a hardcore skateboarding nerd who really knows his poo poo when it comes to skating and uses that knowledge to inform in his skateboard video game reviews. It's surprisingly fascinating to hear how accurate the tricks are in tony hawk games compared to the tricks IRL. He's also reviewed a ton of non Tony Hawk skateboarding games. He's also done a lot of videos about famous skateboarding pros and trick history and things like that.

His style is kinda dry but I find the subject matter really fascinating so I think he's pretty entertaining.
Heres his latest review: The DS port of Tony Hawk's American Wasteland, "Tony Hawk's American Sk8land" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONe_ELIM1tQ

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Doctor Reynolds posted:

"Realistic" shooters are always bad.

Same for fishing as well. Either you let me cast 15 lines out at once or give me a harpoon. Otherwise, gently caress that noise.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

There is also a Speed Docs video on Tony Hawk's Underground and Errant Signal has one on the evolution of the series as a whole.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

repiv posted:

Some folks have commented that it's a shame for CP2070's delay as a long single person RPG would help us while away the time in the Plaguelands, but others point out that if they're in death march then the game was most likely not very playable. You don't do this to fine tune hair physics.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

RareAcumen posted:

I still feel like Spec Ops: The Line was more the story of Captain Walker and his platoon than it was directed at me.

The "Walker is a broken man and the mission was a delusion" stuff at least worked better than the very lame attempts at meta gotchas

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The humans are the worst part of the Witcher world and the terrorists deserve to win.

The ending in 3 where Redania gets steamrolled forever is the correct one.

Also Spec Ops played perfectly fine.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Apr 7, 2020

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

RareAcumen posted:

Same for fishing as well. Either you let me cast 15 lines out at once or give me a harpoon. Otherwise, gently caress that noise.

sega bass fishing whips rear end :colbert:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Something’s biting!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hWg2dGUqx4

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If your confused by the protagonists dying in a jingoistic USA military shooter try looking up the concept “glory”

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Dying in an uuuraaah git summmm shootout is a pretty different idea from a pathetic crawling and gurgling death.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

If your confused by the protagonists dying in a jingoistic USA military shooter try looking up the concept “glory”
i'm even more confused now because call of duty isn't even set during the civil war

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Ghostlight posted:

i'm even more confused now because call of duty isn't even set during the civil war

Not yet...

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the red badge of courage, but a video game

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Terrible Opinions posted:

There is also a Speed Docs video on Tony Hawk's Underground and Errant Signal has one on the evolution of the series as a whole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoHhXTb190w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I just finished watching Joseph Anderson's video about the witcher part 1.

Most of it is pretty interesting, but there are long stretches where he gets into boring retelling or review type comments.

Most important quote:
"This is why the other two parts of the series will be longer then this one"