Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Picnic Princess posted:

Karen became normalized when a whole bunch of fragile white women kept getting caught on camera calling the cops on black people for existing. Mocking ignorant racists is good. Making it about misogyny completely misses the point. The reason why it's Karen and not Kyle is because men usually don't call the cops to do their dirty work, they just straight up try to kill them themselves. That's not abusing privilege, that's just straight up being a murderous violent rear end in a top hat.

Knowing that they'll probably get away with it is privilege, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Skwirl posted:

All the nearby grocery stores are forbidding people to bring their own bags. It protects the grocery baggers.

We mostly use self serve + tap + bag yourself here. But that is mainly because the shops don't want to give you free bags or pay staff to do anything.

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

Skwirl posted:

All the nearby grocery stores are forbidding people to bring their own bags. It protects the grocery baggers.

I'm from the UK so we don't have grocery baggers here.

I think the idea is that you use a bag, wash it after and reuse instead of touching the wire baskets which are used by everyone else.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/JonathanTurley/status/1247182354755604487

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Reminds me of that David Brooks editorial from a few years back where he essentially blamed the rise of Trump on liberals and our fancy foods and the example he used was loving sopresatta.

Edit: the ratio on this one is getting spicy

letthereberock has a new favorite as of 22:48 on Apr 6, 2020

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

There was also the woman bemoaning millennials eating less mayo. That was a banger. https://www.phillymag.com/news/2018/08/11/mayonnaise-industry-millennials/

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

It's Karen and Darren

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

How does he not know the national dish of the UK????

https://medium.com/@sbwardle/englands-national-dish-chicken-tikka-masala-23d9986c736f

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

crag rangoon

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I only eat butter and margarine.

Also the male counterpart to Karen is either "the suspect" or "the active shooter".

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Holy poo poo, the poster doesn't think you can jump rope outside.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Peanut Butler posted:

also I have experienced the "male Karen" as a bartender; it is the boomer guy who does not directly confront, or ask to see the manager, but loudly and passively says to nobody and everybody, "this is the worst martini I've ever had"

this guy In thinking of in particular looked like a Chet

Oh, that's just Steve. He's always like that. If you just him go, he switches to griping that the staff should be paying attention to him and forgets whatever his original complaint was.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Push El Burrito posted:

Also the male counterpart to Karen is either "the suspect" or "the active shooter".

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/JonathanTurley/status/1247182354755604487

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Twitter's main character for today is Alyssa Milano

https://twitter.com/Alyssa_Milano/status/1247254832290738177

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Look believe women doesn’t mean we should like think they are telling the truth

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Agrinja posted:

I hear Karen a lot but I have never heard Kyle in this context.
It's a thing: https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/kyle

e.g.:

and the IOSM examples:

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I'm getting reports that the "karen is a slur" woman that started this conversation is a TERF, so I wouldn't be shocked if we see TERFs trying to hijack the (legitimate) concern re: the conflation between class consciousness and misogyny and blame it on the transes.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Picnic Princess posted:

Karen became normalized when a whole bunch of fragile white women kept getting caught on camera calling the cops on black people for existing. Mocking ignorant racists is good. Making it about misogyny completely misses the point. The reason why it's Karen and not Kyle is because men usually don't call the cops to do their dirty work, they just straight up try to kill them themselves. That's not abusing privilege, that's just straight up being a murderous violent rear end in a top hat.

Yeah, we know what the original context was. The point is that just because something started out as a joke about something very specific that deserved to be called out, doesn't mean it stayed there when picked up by the culture at large which carries it's own biases. Remember that old Chris Rock bit about black people vs. n-words, and how an n-word to him was a specific lovely kind of black person? And then white people latched onto that joke from a black man talking about his own community as an excuse to use the n-word and be lovely racists because just like Chris they didn't mean all black people, just the lovely ones.

We live in a misogynistic culture, and it doesn't matter that a term is created and used rightfully by an oppressed group against one with more power. When it gets out of that bubble, bigots are going to grab it and run in their specific direction because that's what bigots do. I don't think the Karen meme is so fundamentally misogynistic at this point as to be useless, but there are version of it out there that are and they need to be stamped down. No only as a push back against misogyny, but because the original point about fragile white women attacking black people for existing is getting lost in otherwise mundane "call the manager jokes."

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

T-man posted:

I'm getting reports that the "karen is a slur" woman that started this conversation is a TERF, so I wouldn't be shocked if we see TERFs trying to hijack the (legitimate) concern re: the conflation between class consciousness and misogyny and blame it on the transes.
Oh, so she got mad bc people were calling her Karen bc of her terrible transphobia? Sounds like a TERF to me.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Like I definitely believe Karen CAN be used misogynistically, just like everything else that refers to women and some things that don't. It's also not always that funny an observation. Doesn't mean it's inherently misogynistic, though.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

T-man posted:

I'm getting reports that the "karen is a slur" woman that started this conversation is a TERF,

It was Julie loving Bindel, Queen TERF.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Anything can be weaponized so it’s not a terribly compelling argument.

Though lol comparing it to the Chris rock bit

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

There are white women and there are Karens

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Bindel is also a political lesbian, which was something I always thought was made-up but here we are

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

MizPiz posted:

Twitter's main character for today is Alyssa Milano

https://twitter.com/Alyssa_Milano/status/1247254832290738177

https://twitter.com/redsteeze/status/1247259313359347712

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

T-man posted:

A TERF weaponizing misogyny to protect themselves from being called out??? :monocle:

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Dienes posted:

I think their argument is that the Karen meme is ultimately about a white person abusing privilege. We created a meme that attacks white women for that lovely behavior, but white men, who have even more privilege, and engage in this lovely behavior even more often, don't have an equivalent meme pointing that out. The misogyny is how quickly and easily women were attacked when men engage in the same behavior at an even greater level.

When rich white men do bad poo poo people tend to just blame rich white men, or blame the specific ones they're mad about - bezos, zuckerberg, gates, etc. They are their own stereotype.

I feel like people were able to settle on 'Karen' because just flatly calling a wealthy white woman a bitch got them in trouble, but Karen was something people could relate to and laugh about because everyone seems to know a Karen type person.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

As someone points out in the replies, dude's being intentionally dumb. He's eaten at Indian restaurants before, and I'm guessing like most people in the world, he knows that chicken tikka masala is some type of Indian dish*, even if he doesn't know the exact recipe. It's the same sort of "common man" act that Bush and Reagan and generations before them put on, and it works on the kind of idiots who think cultural blending has just gone too far, dammit, what's wrong with burgers and shakes?

*Technically created in Scotland, I think?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

CharlestheHammer posted:

So we've finally worked ourselves around to the usual IOSM resolution to all social justice arguments: the people who brought up the issue are exactly right, but I'm still going to act like they're being crazy and unreasonable. :smug:

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
I'm so sick of conspiracy theorists talking like early Christian gnostics with schizophrenia.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

hyperhazard posted:

As someone points out in the replies, dude's being intentionally dumb. He's eaten at Indian restaurants before, and I'm guessing like most people in the world, he knows that chicken tikka masala is some type of Indian dish*, even if he doesn't know the exact recipe. It's the same sort of "common man" act that Bush and Reagan and generations before them put on, and it works on the kind of idiots who think cultural blending has just gone too far, dammit, what's wrong with burgers and shakes?

*Technically created in Scotland, I think?

Everything is hate clicks. From chuds on Twitter to giant newspaper conglomerates (yes, I know I'm repeating myself). Creating a post / article that is controversial is the easiest way to generate engagement which builds your brand. There is no metric for improving society that you can sell ads off.

You've just got to accept the crack and the ping and lean into it with a hearty laugh. Maybe hope they become the main guy on Twitter and delete their account.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Please forgive my ignorance. But what is the "becky" meme? To what stereotype does she supposedly represent? Is it from "Becky with the good hair" from the Beyonce song?

I know Karen only as a "can I speak to the manager?", or the kind of person who sends food back and gets lovely at the underpaid wait staff kind of person. I didn't know that Karen also meant the white woman who called the cops on the black family having a BBQ, (was her name in real life Karen?).

I will agree that it is ever so misogynistic, but I would argue that is because a man who gets lovely at wait/retail staff is more likely to chuck a screaming shouting angry fit, which is different to what a stereotypical "Karen" would do, which is get snarky and passive aggressive whilst belittling the employees and expecting special service.

As to whether it is a slur. That can get hosed. It is as much a slur as TERF. TERF is only a slur against people who don't believe trans women deserve basic human rights. So Karen is only a slur against people who send food back and get lovely at retail staff.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

BrigadierSensible posted:

I know Karen only as a "can I speak to the manager?", or the kind of person who sends food back and gets lovely at the underpaid wait staff kind of person. I didn't know that Karen also meant the white woman who called the cops on the black family having a BBQ, (was her name in real life Karen?).

From what I gather, that latter person would be a Becky. So like, Karen's just generally a super-privileged white woman who looks down on everyone, but Becky specifically attacks black people minding their own business.

I might have this entirely wrong, though, because I'm not even American.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Becky is slang for a woman, prolly white, who gives good head.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Please forgive my ignorance. But what is the "becky" meme? To what stereotype does she supposedly represent? Is it from "Becky with the good hair" from the Beyonce song?

"BBQ Becky" is the one who called the cops on the black family having a barbecue, real name Jennifer. The nickname was earliest seen here:

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
I tend to think of older white dudes with a particular skill in shouting at people and flinging blame in every direction while simultaneously being completely wrong as Michael, because that was my stepdad's name and he is absolutely That Guy that calls tech support and bitches that he "did everything already", they just need to "reset it", whose problem can be fixed with a powercycle, which he did not, in fact, do

if you need someone to productively shout at someone for you and get them to do poo poo, he's your guy. otherwise he's probably a dick.

Sorry to the many, many normal Michaels

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/dwright75/status/1247217704769146885?s=21

Long memories, eh?

🤔

TinTower has a new favorite as of 04:40 on Apr 7, 2020

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah most non-UK people ain’t going to get that without context. He writes for a lovely tabloid paper that is pretty much boycotted in Liverpool because of their unapologetic coverage of the aftermath of the Hillsborough Disaster - where they blamed the soccer fans who got crushed to death rather than crappy police work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

I will agree that it is ever so misogynistic, but I would argue that is because a man who gets lovely at wait/retail staff is more likely to chuck a screaming shouting angry fit, which is different to what a stereotypical "Karen" would do, which is get snarky and passive aggressive whilst belittling the employees and expecting special service.

As to whether it is a slur. That can get hosed. It is as much a slur as TERF. TERF is only a slur against people who don't believe trans women deserve basic human rights. So Karen is only a slur against people who send food back and get lovely at retail staff.

This article, conveniently, was posted today

https://verysmartbrothas.theroot.com/the-difference-between-a-karen-and-a-becky-explained-1842708257