Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

StrixNebulosa posted:

And while it's definitely a bit clunkier than Odyssey, it's a joy to play and I'm kind of tempted to see if I can't polish off the main quest at least - I didn't realize how close I am. According to the internet I have one more target, and roughly 11 main quests left (including the final target) so it's not a huge ask if I can avoid being sidetracked.
The finale of Origins just kinda happens almost out of nowhere because Aya's been going around having the actual AC plot happen to her in the background in between her and Bayek having murder sex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Threep posted:

The finale of Origins just kinda happens almost out of nowhere because Aya's been going around having the actual AC plot happen to her in the background in between her and Bayek having murder sex

I'm okay with that, because from what I've seen of her AC plot it kinda sucks.

e: Typically I kind of ignore the main plot in these open world games but since I'm closer than I realized I'm kinda amped to finish one of 'em!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
If you have the Curse of the Pharaohs DLC it is definitely worth getting to the postgame just for that.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's also the only DLC for the game that is worth anyone's time at all.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

It's also the only DLC for the game that is worth anyone's time at all.

The other one was boring as hell but Curse of the Pharaohs more than made up for it

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

ShootaBoy posted:

The reason they shitcanned the obvious modern day AC is because they had no idea how to adapt the AC formula to a time when cars and guns existed. Like their dumb, by committee, "this is how X is done, Y works like this, climb the towers yo reveal the map etc etc." Iirc, that much has even been said in interviews before. They just don't know how to do an AC game where you're not stabbing everyone while running around on foot.

Ripping off Mirror's Edge and having the Templars "win" and create a utopian surveillance state would be the obvious choice.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

C.M. Kruger posted:

Ripping off Mirror's Edge and having the Templars "win" and create a utopian surveillance state would be the obvious choice.

The modern day segments are already that, but instead of a utopia it's just capitalism because of course it is.
The problem has always been how do you not just make it Splinter Cell with a side of Far Cry or Watch_Dogs with a side of Ghost Recon. The essential issue is they have a half dozen game series largely residing in the same space and the only thing separating the AC series is the bad plot and the historical nature.
Just make more Splinter Cell Ubi c'mon

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 6, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Watch_Dogs 2 with a bit of Parkour action would literally be an Assassin's Creed game. It has the plot down pat already: a bunch of violent, outcast psychopaths fighting a bunch of violent, rich, socially successful psychopaths.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

If you told me Shaun and Rebecca showed up at the end of W_D2 and recruited Marcus into the Assassin Order I would 100% believe it tbh.

Edit: Aiden would absolutely be a Templar though.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Apr 7, 2020

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

So what HUD options should I definitely keep on in Far Cry New Dawn? Saw someone mention some pages back that the game doesn't have good enough feedback to let you disable the whole HUD, but I'd love to disable as much as I can.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Hub Cat posted:

If you told me whatshisname and whatshername showed up at the end of W_D2 and recruited Marcus into the Assassin Order I would 100% believe it tbh.
:same:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Threep posted:

I really liked that she's doing all the actual origin of the assassin's creed stuff off-screen while Bayek's story is just him touring around Egypt murdering people and spacing out at stone circles.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Party Boat posted:

I enjoyed Gunpoint well enough but something in Heat Signature just kind of grabbed me and would not let go. I loved the kind of interlocking systems based nonsense you could execute in that game and it looks like Tactical Breach Wizards is going for the same feel by way of Into the Breach?

yes, into the breach looks like a good comparison - possibly not as fiendish, but it's very 'if i do that... then that, and he does.. hmm, no. how about...ah, oh, yes you fucker that's got u'

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Yeah Into the Breach is a very apt comparison, your units are fragile, pushing enemies is hugely effective, and you can get a lot of mileage out of getting them to kill each other. But more importantly, you can body-check cops out windows with an armored cleric and I can't remember many things in gaming as gratifying.

As for games that are out now, I found the time to go through the Weeklong Deals and throw together a list of good stuff. Please get Brigador and The Last Door if you don't have them yet, the former is peak cyberpunk mech chaos and the latter is the best cosmic horror game I've ever played.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

From what I could tell Tom played basically unlimited Into the Breach for a year+ so it's not really surprising this will take a lot from it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Pierson posted:

Someone reminded me of the existence of Hitman's 2 expansion pass where a level is infiltrating a bank, and bank levels are always the best stuff in any game ever released. My evidence for this is that Deus Ex Human Revolution had you infiltrating a bank and it was the best part of that game. Thief 2 (the best Thief game) had you infiltrate a bank. GTA and Red Dead both have bank heisting and those were fun.

Payday 2 was nothing but heisting but that game has so much content and arcane mechanics I'm sure it's loving impossible to get into at this point and they'll just kick you out of lobbies unless you're a god-tier billionaire ultra-ninja.
You know what else had a bank level? Thief 4. :mrgw:

StrixNebulosa posted:

And while it's definitely a bit clunkier than Odyssey, it's a joy to play and I'm kind of tempted to see if I can't polish off the main quest at least - I didn't realize how close I am. According to the internet I have one more target, and roughly 11 main quests left (including the final target) so it's not a huge ask if I can avoid being sidetracked.

No promises, no guarantees. I also spent an hour fishing in Far Cry 5 so I am very easily distracted. But it would be nice to "finish" one of these games. (As well as see the DLC I paid for!)

I appreciate that you bounce between these games in the same way you bounce between map markers in each game. I don't think I'd ever have the patience to have multiple open world games going at once. I usually pick one and stick with it the whole way through for better or worse.

Hub Cat posted:

If you told me Shaun and Rebecca showed up at the end of W_D2 and recruited Marcus into the Assassin Order I would 100% believe it tbh.

Edit: Aiden would absolutely be a Templar though.

Aiden is too much of a loose cannon and already killed an Abstergo exec. IMO Fixers are the inevitable third, non-aligned mercenary faction made up of rogue Assassins and Templars that conveniently does whatever work is just a little too dirty or overt for either side to tackle personally. Oh, and they act as an interface between the higher powers and the lower level pockets of organized crime/gangs/etc.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Apr 7, 2020

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Too Shy Guy posted:

As for games that are out now, I found the time to go through the Weeklong Deals and throw together a list of good stuff. Please get Brigador and The Last Door if you don't have them yet, the former is peak cyberpunk mech chaos and the latter is the best cosmic horror game I've ever played.

I will buy last door on your recommendation and second Brigador. I don't know if I'm the only person who was obsessed with the Crusader games as a kid but the ultraviolent isometric action hits the spot like nothing since then has. One of my favorite soundtracks of all time, too

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

John Murdoch posted:

Aiden is too much of a loose cannon and already killed an Abstergo exec. IMO Fixers are the inevitable third, non-aligned mercenary faction made up of rogue Assassins and Templars that conveniently does whatever work is just a little too dirty or overt for either side to tackle personally. Oh, and they act as an interface between the higher powers and the lower level pockets of organized crime/gangs/etc.

I think Abstergo would be fine with a little exec murder between friends for a good recruit but otherwise you're right:shrug: I figure Aiden is fine with the spying on and hurting people as long as it's the "right" people but he would inevitably split with them over some quixotic bullshit that isn't nearly as high minded as he pretends it is.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 7, 2020

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Hub Cat posted:

I think Abstergo would be fine with a little exec murder between friends for a good recruit but otherwise you're right:shrug: I figure Aiden is fine with the spying on and hurting people as long as it's the "right" people but he would inevitably split with them over some quixotic bullshit that isn't nearly as high minded as he pretends it is.

It would pretty much come down to how effectively they could manipulate him, which clearly isn't the hardest thing to do. :v: It's just once he does put all the pieces together, he'll start loving their poo poo up non-stop.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
What Remains of Edith Finch is really amazing. I've been aware of "walking simulators" since Gone Home made a splash way back but never actually played one. It completely drew me in from minute 1 all the way to the end.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

walking simulator doesn't really seem like a fair description when it does a lot of really cool interactions beyond just walking around and picking things up.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
If you want to try more than just a walking simulator, why not bring some guns, a camera and binoculars and go to the woods or the savanna? TheHunter - Call of the Wild lets you walk or drive around in an all-terrain vehicle, and optionally hunt or be hunted by wildlife on several nice maps around the world. Hunt dozens of different animals or be trampled by a Cape Buffalo, mauled by a lion or crash into a warthog in your ATV. Good times, this game has me hooked. There are several maps as DLC, of which the Vurhonga savanna is my current favorite. I would recommend you at least wishlist this game so you can see the next time the game and DLC are discounted.

The sounds of the wilderness and the feel of tracking animals in their natural habitat is great. Then you can either photograph or cull the herds when you manage to get close. Very athmospheric.

Here's a thread for the game:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3893417

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

PC-adjacent, but i saw an article from Microsoft that stealth announced several in-development indie games coming to Gamepass in the future, including some that were in the most recent Steam indie demo festival:

Spiritfarer
Haven (by the Furi dev)
Ikenfell (Humble-published)
West of Dead
Drake Hollow
Levelhead (the Mario Maker inspired game)
The Red Lantern
Edge of Eternity
Unto the End
She Dreams Elsewhere
Star Renegades

usually the indie games end up on both PC & console gamepass, only a couple of rare exceptions. i'm looking forward to seeing how spiritfarer and ikenfell pan out

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Man. It's pretty crazy seeing what the pandemic did to Tabletop Simulator.

People went absolutely batshit bonkers for it. Looks like a bunch of gaming websites published articles about it recently as well so that number will probably grow a bit more too.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Lord Lambeth posted:

walking simulator doesn't really seem like a fair description when it does a lot of really cool interactions beyond just walking around and picking things up.

More like a collection of interactive short stories. The game does a good job of making them all feel unique and different. Also a great little connection to The Unfinished Swan.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

fwiw walking simulators are generally not just about walking, it's just a derogatory term that would only really apply to something like Dear Esther

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Walking simulator has been reclaimed, that's just what we call them now.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

exquisite tea posted:

yeah i think it's droll but fair.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Consider the following descriptor

https://twitter.com/CoolBoxArt/status/1245686451045613568?s=19

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

is that some kind of missile launcher strapped to its back or a jetpack

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

goferchan posted:

I will buy last door on your recommendation and second Brigador. I don't know if I'm the only person who was obsessed with the Crusader games as a kid but the ultraviolent isometric action hits the spot like nothing since then has. One of my favorite soundtracks of all time, too

Brigador rules. The big thing is that you need to basically win fights before they start with smart positioning and picking what targets to hit first- enemies don’t put their shields up unless you trigger and alarm or they see you and react, so you want to find a way to hit them from behind where their armor is weakest and have most/all of them dead before they put their shields up.

Luckily, you have tons of ways to accomplish that. It’s a difficult game but it’s a lot of fun.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

One of my favourite walking sims is Infra - it has great atmosphere and it's a bit more interactive than your average walking sim.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

It's also around 15 hours long, if you know what you're doing.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I really liked Infra but never finished it. Felt like it went on for far too long and sometimes what you were supposed to do next could be a little unclear. But it's very different and looks alright for a Source game - plus the protagonist has a great Finnish accent.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

I appreciate that you bounce between these games in the same way you bounce between map markers in each game. I don't think I'd ever have the patience to have multiple open world games going at once. I usually pick one and stick with it the whole way through for better or worse.

I get bored super super easily, and I'm pretty sure I have undiagnosed ADHD (for reasons one of my therapists several years back didn't make it an official diagnoses, and if I weren't between therapists currently I'd try to get myself properly diagnosed. It's all complicated and e/n stuff) so sticking to just ONE game is like.... I don't get how people do it on the regular. Some games are special and hold me, but the monomania eventually fades for everything and I'm back to playing all of the games at once.

As you can imagine this is a nightmare for finishing things, so I'm glad I've left that mostly behind. I am here to play games, have fun, and post about 'em. Which I suppose would make me an ideal video game reviewer, but I'd rather put my work energy into college stuff and writing fanfiction.

Thoughts on Far Cry 5: Primal has better weapon-feel, as the spear and bow and club are so much more immediate and visceral and fun to use. Guns are kinda plink-plink and I mean they work, I'm enjoying my modded assault rifle, but... See, facing enemies with guns means you have to be wary of them at EXTREME ranges and it can be tough to run to cover. After a lot of time in Primal I also find I prefer facing people with that kind of limited range - arrows are a threat, but you aren't going to be shot into a million pieces from a mile away.

I'm working with it and having fun, but it's also kind of funny how the game desperately wants to be a hiking simulator instead. Not a realistic one, but you're on vacation in an american beer commercial and you ride your ATV to the river to fish, then you hunt some bear, then you throw cans and pet your dog and AMURICA RULEZ and go parachuting off a mountain. Oh and you shoot some cartoony bad guys with your blinged out rifle, as you do on american vacations. Such an absolutely bizarre tone that I'm not always comfortable with? Like, the Far Cries have always* been about facing uncomfortable stories while having wild action-y adventures, and the moral choice in these games is so often not to play, or to take the secret ending available 5 minutes into it. But somehow setting 5 in rural America, and having the "good guy" civilians that you save basically be walking caricatures of the kind of people who voted a mass murderer into office while the cultists are so evil and generic they don't exist as people is very.........very odd! I clear out an outpost and the evil is gone, replaced by them running the american flag up and laying out lots of guns for sale along with beer coolers and as someone who is very into gun control this is so incredibly uncomfortable....

I know. I'm bringing my own political baggage to a game - no, to an entire AAA game company that DOES NOT have politics in their games, the devs said so - but drat. Even the god-drat Tom Clancy games in their portfolio weren't so brazen about being pro-right-wing america, to the point that the one government/federal officer is shown to be dangerously incompetent and stupid.

I did not expect to go into a game that paints itself as "we're going to take a good hard look at the culture that creates these kind of cult-militias that are so dangerous in the USA" and wind up with it doing exactly what it said it would... but with a healthy dose of "nah, this culture is actually great. wanna shoot a bear?" As a bleeding heart liberal commie pinko queer, and I'm only half joking here about those labels, I am not the target audience for this game and it's leaving me feeling more greasy than loving Dead Island and its zombie porno shoot did. Christ.

*yes, I know, 1 is an exception. I'll play it someday

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

exquisite tea posted:

Sometimes a walking simulator is just what you need in that moment.

Orv
May 4, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

*yes, I know, 1 is an exception. I'll play it someday

Ehhhhhhhhh.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Orv posted:

Ehhhhhhhhh.

I expect I will put an hour into Far Cry 1, enjoy it as a historical experience (FPS design history is wild to me) and then drop it like a hot potato.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Extremely fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taborcarn
Jan 8, 2020

Battle Santa

Sloppy posted:

Anyone played Druidstone? It's on sale and it's been on my wishlist a while but don't want to be suckered in by another pretty face.

I got the game at release but stopped playing part-way through. The RPG elements to the game are hardly there, equipment is few and far between and the card system wasn't great for customization. And mainly, each map felt like a puzzle with one specific solution that you had to work out the exact order of. More of a puzzle game than a strategy game.