Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

No Wave posted:

Tifa knew there was something wrong with Cloud compared to the person she knew growing up. It turns out she was right and because it's a fun video game it gets neatly resolved, Cloud becomes who he's supposed to be again and they do it under the highwind.

after tifa pulled cloud out of the crater, he immediately said that he wanted to go to the promised land because "i think we can meet her there." tifa resignedly agrees, "yeah, let's go meet her"

cloud resolved his broken identity but he's still obsessing over a dead woman while the one who loves him to a frankly unhealthy degree is literally clinging to his side, there is no neat resolution there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I felt like Aeris was just important to Cloud because she was really the one that cracked him and gave him a path forward. Sephiroth took that away from him. He just wants the hopefulness back in his life.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Cloud's mom said he needed a nice older woman to take care of him and Aerith is indeed a nice older woman who was taking care of him.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

NikkolasKing posted:

Cloud's mom said he needed a nice older woman to take care of him and Aerith is indeed a nice older woman who was taking care of him.

the mother of a certain someone was also taking care of cloud :mrgw:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
What I see visually in the ending is Cloud seeing Aeris' outstretched hand then choosing to save Tifa instead of falling into the lifestream or whatever. As for what "I think I can meet here there" actually means, idk, I'd thought it meant that the planet's answer was Aeris' doing and they were grateful for it/her and were going to go watch it. (from what I can tell after googling this, it looks like the Japanese version is closer to "we" instead of "I"?)

No Wave fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Apr 7, 2020

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

Aerith just misses Zack, who Cloud reminds her of for obvious reasons. she's a fun and flirty 22 year old!!!

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Aerith is just after some d, can’t fault her there

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Really hosed up to present Aerith as not caring for Cloud when the entire Gondola ride is Aerith trying to get to know the real him and apologizing for not seeing him for him. Like... she's not that shallow.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Onmi posted:

Really hosed up to present Aerith as not caring for Cloud when the entire Gondola ride is Aerith trying to get to know the real him and apologizing for not seeing him for him. Like... she's not that shallow.

yes, she realized her mistake too late. like i said. in that post. that i just made.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Onmi posted:

No you’re right, that’s like the entire emotional climax of their relationship. Aerith totally used Cloud as a Zack pillow, realized that’s not healthy, and wanted to start over with him at the Gold Saucer.

Unfortunately the real Cloud was buried under a shrieking madness that subsequently tries to kill her multiple times.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'm trying to work out where they go with this game next and now that I'm thinking about the next parts of the game and then the subsequent poo poo I'm cackling like an rear end in a top hat. There's no way to screw this up after this game. Just go crazy this IP can withstand anything.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

JBP posted:

I'm trying to work out where they go with this game next and now that I'm thinking about the next parts of the game and then the subsequent poo poo I'm cackling like an rear end in a top hat. There's no way to screw this up after this game. Just go crazy this IP can withstand anything.

take heed this is not the spoiler thread but i'm with you pal

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

grieving for Gandalf posted:

take heed this is not the spoiler thread but i'm with you pal

I know. I don't think there's any spoilers in my post for this game. It ends and there's a lot of insane bullshit after Midgar that's flooding back to me thanks to Aeris/Tifa chat.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I think Barret and Cloud should have the saucer date. Play up some Tifa and Aeristh scenes right before the event, knock on the door, and bam. Give em the ol' gun hand.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
They made a new date and it is with Palmer.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Elephant Ambush posted:

It's the weirdest thing.

In the 23 years since this game originally came out, I have talked to tons of people about this game. I've beaten it several times and talked with tons of other people who have beaten it several times and literally the only place I have ever seen people think that Cloud beats up Aerith is on these forums. Literally nobody else in 23 years thinks that scene depicts Cloud beating up Aerith. I don't read reddit or gamefaqs so I guess it might be a thing there but these forums are the only place I have ever seen people post that.

So this has got to be another one of these really tired unfunny thread memes alongside the thing about Cloud and Tifa exhibition loving in front of everyone else and then everyone else joins in and there's a huge orgy and whatever.

It's not even funny. The orgy thing is kinda funny maybe if you're 13 years old and posting on these forums in like 2003 but DV is never funny for any reason. And I say that as someone who volunteered at a DV shelter for over a decade.

In your defense, when I was a kid I never thought Cloud was hitting her when I played through it multiple times in my youth. I just assumed he was like smacking himself or rending his garments or something like that to show his emotional turmoil. I grew up playing 4 and 6 on snes and they had all those goofy moments and were overall light-hearted so I think I was just naturally inclined to not think they'd have the main character wail on a woman.

Unfortunately for you I was a very dumb kid so who knows.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Huh...I always interpreted that scene as he was pounding his fists into the ground in typical anime fashion.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I rewatched the scene because I had completely forgotten about it as I played FF7... like, 15 years ago.

It seems pretty unambiguous to me.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Oxxidation posted:

there is no "romance" in FF7, just varying layers of obsessiveness, dependency, and mutual misery, and that owns
Cringe-worthy romance stories in the later games kinda brought them down. Folks used to say FF7 was too emo but I'll take that over teenage CW network poo poo.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

after tifa pulled cloud out of the crater, he immediately said that he wanted to go to the promised land because "i think we can meet her there." tifa resignedly agrees, "yeah, let's go meet her"

cloud resolved his broken identity but he's still obsessing over a dead woman while the one who loves him to a frankly unhealthy degree is literally clinging to his side, there is no neat resolution there
Heres another interpretation: Cloud and Tifa see Aerith as dead and accept that they're probably going to die doing this.

Here's another interpretation: Cloud and Tifa see Aerith as part of the Lifestream and that Sephiroth is blocking her so they're going to free her.

Here's another interpretation: Cloud and Tifa see the strength and conviction Aerith had and decide that they need the same conviction to save the planet and by going to the Promised Land they share in that strength and have a metaphorical meeting of the mind.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Oxxidation posted:

aeris does not and never did care about cloud in that way. she half-jokingly used him as a stand-in for her dead ex, realized her mistake too late, and died before they could achieve any real intimacy

I still like to think that Aerith still cared about Cloud, if not in a romantic way than in a friendship way, even after the Black Materia incident. Of course the tragedy is that you will never really know for sure anymore.

I don’t know if this is rose tinted glasses but it is wild how much of FF7 involves deeply broken people. It’s not something you really see anymore nowadays.

I guess the closest thing would be FF13 (stop laughing, the start of it at least), where the so-called Call to Action is made in the beginning and...everyone involved unanimously tells it to gently caress off (Except for Snow, but Snow is the worst)

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Hi I have a spoiler question because someone *very* vaguely told me a twist of the game. I don't want to know everything so I don't want to go into the spoiler thread so can I ask here with tags or what?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Yeah I honestly never considered someone might read that scene as anything *but* him attacking her, and I definitely didn't get that interpretation from reading SA. Like the super distinctive "character punching something" sound effects that you hear all throughout the game when someone / something gets hit during a dialogue section is playing repeatedly and Cloud is crouched over Aeris' prone body and moving his hands up and down.

I guess he could theoretically be straddling her and punching the ground right beside her? I dunno, I certainly think traditional visual literacy primes you to read that as an assault.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
The most telling thing is that your third party member is like, "Cloud?? Stop it!" and then knocks him out. I don't think subduing him by force would be an appropriate response if he's just having a temper tantrum on the ground.

invlwhen
Jul 28, 2012

please do your best
I was able to buy and download the game (but not play it yet) on PSN. Just waiting on Tim Sony to flip the switch now.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Cringe-worthy romance stories in the later games kinda brought them down. Folks used to say FF7 was too emo but I'll take that over teenage CW network poo poo.

Balthier/Fran and Vanille/Fang are really good, by game romance standards

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I fuckin love me some Balthier and Fran. God I'd play the hell out of a beautifully upgraded FF12 it's a great game that gets let down a bit by it's age.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Hi I have a spoiler question because someone *very* vaguely told me a twist of the game. I don't want to know everything so I don't want to go into the spoiler thread so can I ask here with tags or what?

If someone told you the twist just watch the final trailer with it in mind, and that's basically the entire story.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Schwartzcough posted:

The most telling thing is that your third party member is like, "Cloud?? Stop it!" and then knocks him out. I don't think subduing him by force would be an appropriate response if he's just having a temper tantrum on the ground.

The context there makes it pretty clear, but I think a heavy difference in interpretation could be drawn along age lines for that. The low poly characters shown from a mile up don't help. I absolutely don't want to see that poo poo in graphic detail from a cinematic camera angle. I do want to have the implications in play, though, so I'm hoping for a hard shove followed by pulling the sword out followed by Cid tackling him. No one needs to get visibly beaten just to show that being around him is a bad idea.

The Cid thing kind of got overshadowed by someone trying to turn this into the thread making fun of assault, but I hope the same rough translation happens there. I don't need ten minutes of him yelling degrading insults at Shera. Just establish that it's the kind of thing he would do, link it to his backstory, move on.

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Folks used to say FF7 was too emo but I'll take that over teenage CW network poo poo.

I used to remember it that way too, until the LP showed me I'd misremembered everything based on so many years of EU bullshit.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Love stories are cool and good and FFVII has one, too.

FFVII is probably why the next three FF games all had love stories at their heart.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Maybe it's just me, but the image of ghostly child-Cloud running around helplessly as adult-Cloud pummels Aerith against his will is a pretty powerful moment that I'm not sure would make even the slightest bit of sense if it was just punching the ground in frustration.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Apr 7, 2020

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Mulva posted:

If someone told you the twist just watch the final trailer with it in mind, and that's basically the entire story.

Well I don't want to know the entire story, just... hard to kinda describe when it's a games twist and I'm basically a newcomer to FF7

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Well, the game started preloading, said it was a 90GB download... Then the download size changed to 13GB, and once it finished said it would be ready to play in two and a bit days.

Is that normal? Because it definitely hasn't downloaded the full 90GB yet.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Well, the game started preloading, said it was a 90GB download... Then the download size changed to 13GB, and once it finished said it would be ready to play in two and a bit days.

It might just download the opening missions first and do the rest in the background so you can technically play it.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It doesn't download the whole thing at once

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Eh gently caress it, going to ask.

These tags contain major spoilers

I've mentioned in the past my memory is fuzzy on the OG FF7. I played it, don't remember a lot of it. Even got mixed up on who dies. Was looking forward to the remake as a second chance to get into the story so held off on the PS1 game to wait for it. Thing is a guy I know told me that it's a stealth sequel to FF7 and features like... time ghosts?? or something??

My big concern is that I won't know jack poo poo about any of the changes and I'm afraid I'm going to be left completely in the dust if they start referencing things from the OG game. Is it a really bad idea to play the 'remake' if I don't know much about the original?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It's a remake, not a stealth sequel, but there's been a lot of FFVII media since, and some cut content and ideas that never made it into the original, so it's still a remake, but with a lot of additional content for them to potentially expand on.

So no, don't worry if you haven't played the original.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

These tags contain major spoilers

I've mentioned in the past my memory is fuzzy on the OG FF7. I played it, don't remember a lot of it. Even got mixed up on who dies. Was looking forward to the remake as a second chance to get into the story so held off on the PS1 game to wait for it. Thing is a guy I know told me that it's a stealth sequel to FF7 and features like... time ghosts?? or something??

My big concern is that I won't know jack poo poo about any of the changes and I'm afraid I'm going to be left completely in the dust if they start referencing things from the OG game. Is it a really bad idea to play the 'remake' if I don't know much about the original?

It’s pretty faithful to the original minus one very significant detour

Mywhatacleanturtle fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Apr 7, 2020

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

JBP posted:

I fuckin love me some Balthier and Fran. God I'd play the hell out of a beautifully upgraded FF12 it's a great game that gets let down a bit by it's age.

That exists, it's called The Zodiac Age and it was released not too long ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Framboise posted:

That exists, it's called The Zodiac Age and it was released not too long ago.

It's still ugly