Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Man, final Nemesis on Nightmare is not loving around. He was a glorified victory lap on Standard and Hardcore, but Nightmare? I think I've died to this fight more than anything else in this and RE2make combined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

My first run I took a long time on 2 of the Nemesis fights because I was waiting till I could knock him into his "reveal weakpoint" mode so I was playing it very safe and not attacking much but it turns out you can just unload in his loving face and you don't need to do any special mechanics lmao.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Why don't people talk about Resident Evil 0 more?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Because it's pretty bad and hardly anyone liked it.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

resident evil 0 sucks, and young rabidsquid was extremely unhappy about the amount of backtracking he had to do to get the hookshot one final time for no good loving reason

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

There was only one good idea in all of RE0 and that idea was zombie baboons.

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
goddamn Valerie is just on her own a hard counter to Alex

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

punk rebel ecks posted:

Why don't people talk about Resident Evil 0 more?

The early attempt at AI co-op makes it kind of an interesting artifact in the series. It's like the progenitor virus of partner-based RE. :v: It's also kind of like RE3R in that I liked its predecessor so much that it's nice to get new content in that style if nothing else (I know they ended up getting developed partially in tandem, but since the first one out was so much more fully realized than the successor, it's hard not to think of them as originator and imitator -- see, couldn't even tell which pair of games I was talking about, huh?)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Resident Evil 0's biggest flaw is that it had a good idea and then stopped there entirely without thinking any further about it. Being able to drop your stuff on the ground wherever you are and pick it up back later, in a Resident Evil game? Amazing improvement. Being forced to drop stuff on the ground and pick up again later because the game also has no magical teleporting item boxes? Definitely not a good idea, and one that will end up with you creating a massive stockpile of items in a central area that has be manually moved at least twice over the course of the game.

It was a massive screw-up of a "one step forward, five steps back" sort that is probably responsible for why no Resident Evil game since has tried letting you drop items from your inventory ever again. Which isn't necessarily a good thing, really.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Mr. Maggy posted:

goddamn Valerie is just on her own a hard counter to Alex

Martin too, at least with Alex's default deck having so many types of mines in it.

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Martin too, at least with Alex's default deck having so many types of mines in it.

I can hit people with infected zombos and viral mines all round and then they all stand around a valerie for 2 seconds and it's all undone :(

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I actually like RE0 but yeah it's definitely rough around the edges. Pretty ambitious at the time though, and the remaster is still a very good-looking and pretty atmospheric game. Also it had an extra mode where you got to dash around as Wesker with a magnum and eye lasers.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

The fun part about resistance is that you can't see the other team so you can't exactly build hard counters.

It's stupid as poo poo that you have to rank up to 5+ in order to customize your deck and get decent cards. And you have to also rank up each mastermind to get to the next too.

Spencer seems like he's got the most potential to mess things up, especially with fake puzzle keys and harder locks and all that. I think if you level him up and flesh out his stuff, he's gonna be difficult to deal with.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Been busy most the weekend but I'm finally getting around to it; having fun so far but ultimately it's disappointing. The whole thing feels so god drat railroaded, there's almost no exploration, the little there is nets you almost nothing beneficial and ammo is never scarce. I thought the game was bringing those reserves down during the boss fight I was just in, but after it I found a bunch of ammo in the arena I forgot to collect and my item box was still swimming in gun powder.

I'm also 2 hours in and I just finished fighting Nemesis Phase 2, why the gently caress did he turn into the bridge boss from House of the Dead 2?, I feel like I'm more than halfway through this point. This is going to be over before I know it isn't?

The game just rushes you from point to point, the pacing never allows you to soak up any of the atmosphere and Nemesis has too many "surprise!" moments that he lacks any of the tension that Mr. X had. Also the rocket launcher sequence is just terrible and boring. Overall the game lacks the polish that made the RE2 remake so god drat good and it definitely feel like some lower B team's rushed attempt. Oh well.

sigher fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Apr 7, 2020

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Queued up re3 on steam for download, take a 2 hour nap, wake up, download at 98%, make some food get ready for game, realize I downloaded Resident Evil Resistance. :emo:

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Cardiovorax posted:

Resident Evil 0's biggest flaw is that it had a good idea and then stopped there entirely without thinking any further about it. Being able to drop your stuff on the ground wherever you are and pick it up back later, in a Resident Evil game? Amazing improvement. Being forced to drop stuff on the ground and pick up again later because the game also has no magical teleporting item boxes? Definitely not a good idea, and one that will end up with you creating a massive stockpile of items in a central area that has be manually moved at least twice over the course of the game.

It was a massive screw-up of a "one step forward, five steps back" sort that is probably responsible for why no Resident Evil game since has tried letting you drop items from your inventory ever again. Which isn't necessarily a good thing, really.

In addition the game adds nothing narratively - you could excise the game from history and the overall RE story would be unaffected. It also is totally at odds with Rebeccas character in RE1 - the girl went up against a tyrant for gods sake, she shouldn’t be cowering in a room because of one Hunter.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Lord Ludikrous posted:

In addition the game adds nothing narratively - you could excise the game from history and the overall RE story would be unaffected. It also is totally at odds with Rebeccas character in RE1 - the girl went up against a tyrant for gods sake, she shouldn’t be cowering in a room because of one Hunter.

Counterpoint: After remake 3 I would absolutely fear a hunter over a tyrant.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Lord Ludikrous posted:

This means Saturn RE1 is canon imo

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

RE 0 is okay but it will test your patience for old school RE formula. The ability to drop items anywhere is cool, but sometimes you forget to bring a key item somewhere and it’s backtrack central. Worrying about two characters gets cumbersome, too. Otherwise, it’s classic RE with all that entails. Give it a spin if you dig that, stay away if you don’t.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

sigher posted:

Overall the game lacks the polish that made the RE2 remake so god drat good and it definitely feel like some lower B team's rushed attempt. Oh well.

I guess the following is a hot take but I just don't see it. This game is incredibly polished and beams with love for the original. It's brisk but even on repeat plays I never felt rushed. It's the perfect length (the same as the original roughly). I strongly think that the game presented to us is awesome. A lot of people were just expecting more I guess?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Crowetron posted:

Having a partner and being able to drop poo poo are both, on their own, interesting ideas. The implementation of a partner in it wasn't perfect, and having the dropping system INSTEAD of an item box wasn't great, but the ideas weren't terrible. They've made good games with a partner since.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
I definitely feel in zero they were running out of ideas for bosses/monsters. Like the dev team just opened a book of 'animals people are scared by' and went "Did we do a scorpion yet? Ok, make it 15 foot long and stick it on the train, somehow."

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Spalec posted:

I definitely feel in zero they were running out of ideas for bosses/monsters. Like the dev team just opened a book of 'animals people are scared by' and went "Did we do a scorpion yet? Ok, make it 15 foot long and stick it on the train, somehow."

In fairness, that's an extremely Umbrella way to operate :v:

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Bonaventure posted:

just finished the main campaign. initial playthrough took me longer than my initial playthrough of the RE2 remake, probably just because I died a ton.
eager to see the remixed / randomized? enemies. people saying this feels like $20 DLC are morons, this game is insanely detailed and must've cost a fortune to make.

i guess in an ideal world there would've been maybe one more hub area to break up the more linear maps in the middle, and there should've been that tentacly humanoid fight against Nemesis to replace the first dog version, but otherwise I have no complaints, it was a blast. I hated Mr. X in the RE2 remake and hate stalker gameplay in general so the amount of time he chased you in gameplay suited me fine.

So far my only complaint is that the game rushes you from one location to another and is more focused on nemesis chase sequences and eleborate boss fights then actually slowing down and letting us explore like in re2 and the first half of RE7. I want them to give me time to solve puzzles and enjoy the atmosphere but instead this game feels like a COD game with nonstop action.

Also was this game made by the RE6 team? right off the bat the game felt off to me like it was more arcadey with chunky controls/combat and over the top action sequences with QTEs. I also don’t like all the random loot crates with ammo and boxes you can just smash. What happened to resource management?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Crowetron posted:

Man, final Nemesis on Nightmare is not loving around. He was a glorified victory lap on Standard and Hardcore, but Nightmare? I think I've died to this fight more than anything else in this and RE2make combined.

Yeah, that fight is :psyduck:

You can't afford to let him hit you even once on Nightmare (because he's likely to stun-lock you and kill you). It's an absurd increase in difficulty.

Perfect dodging is basically required.

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Queued up re3 on steam for download, take a 2 hour nap, wake up, download at 98%, make some food get ready for game, realize I downloaded Resident Evil Resistance. :emo:

I tried to remove Resistance from my Steam account, but it wants to remove RE3 with it. So I just hid it. :(

itry fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Apr 7, 2020

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Wait, can you not use your Nades and Flashbangs as self defense items anymore? I just noticed that when I'm getting grabbed by anything I don't stab/shove nades in people mouths.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Crowetron posted:

I think the train was pretty cool too. I mean, a train is almost the definition of linear, but they made it work. I guess being something different from regular RE environments helped, and the relatively limited area might have been a boon vis-a-vis the item system. I definitely think it's a location they could revisit for another game. Like, if they wanted to do a "Regular person survives some poo poo" game again, then having the game begin on a train where a zombie outbreak starts wouldn't be the worst idea. Like, do Train to Busan except the train derails and spills zombies all over a train station/airport, so by the time the player character comes to everything has turned to poo poo.

A train station would probably have the potential to align better with the usual RE aesthetic, but an airport could be interesting if they went with a more distinctive design. From a game design standpoint, both seem like something that would naturally lend itself to the exploration aspect of RE games: Big enough that it's something the player can grow familiar with over time (like the Mansion or the RPD), featuring both spacious public areas and more cramped service areas which would encourage different approaches to enemies, all of which would be multilevel and intertwined in ways that allows the player great freedom in how they traverse it.

sigher posted:

Wait, can you not use your Nades and Flashbangs as self defense items anymore? I just noticed that when I'm getting grabbed by anything I don't stab/shove nades in people mouths.
Pro-active self-defense.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

sigher posted:

Got removed, because reasons. They should've changed it to an action, instead of holding a button for... animation?

You can't stab because your knife can't break. Edit: Which is a good thing, because what kind of knife breaks after two uses?

itry fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Apr 7, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

itry posted:

You can't stab because your knife can't break. Edit: Which is a good thing, because what kind of knife breaks after two uses?
Badly made Chinese ones, speaking from personal experience.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

The other problem with RE0 is that it didn't really add anything story-wise, and Marcus is such a wet fart of a villain. Usually in RE games, the protagonists interacts with the human antagonists and both parties have some reason to tangle with each other. Marcus doesn't even have a half-decent reason for going after Rebecca and Billy, and the real targets of his anger are sitting a hundred miles away watching everything through security cameras like it's a goddamn Let's Play.

RE0 would have been better if the protagonists had been Wesker and Birkin trying to clean up a loose end, with Marcus trying to hunt them down.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

SettingSun posted:

I guess the following is a hot take but I just don't see it. This game is incredibly polished and beams with love for the original. It's brisk but even on repeat plays I never felt rushed. It's the perfect length (the same as the original roughly). I strongly think that the game presented to us is awesome. A lot of people were just expecting more I guess?

If you think the pupper nemesis boss fights could be part of something described as incredibly polished then I don't really know what to say. Regarding the length I'd argue OG RE3 made it work because of its level variety and lack of rail roaded set pieces, the game had comparatively less bloat.

lurker2006 fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Apr 7, 2020

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

The attention to detail in animation is really good. There's a part where someone at a computer mentions the current time/date and right before they do they quickly glance to the bottom right corner; exactly where you'd find the system clock.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

amigolupus posted:

The other problem with RE0 is that it didn't really add anything story-wise, and Marcus is such a wet fart of a villain.
And such a ridiculous one. I know better than to say that this series doesn't give some really stupid designs to some of its villains, but in cases like Resident Evil 4, it at least establishes the tone of the entire game to fit that presentation. Salazar gets away with looking like midget Napoleon because he lives in a literal Evil Castle Theme Park, complete with a lava room in the basement. No one expects that game to not be over the top.

Marcus is just randomly an opera-singing Final Fantasy reject. With magic leech powers. Nothing about the rest of the game fits in with that, it's entirely straight-faced - he just has that stupid outfit for some reason. Maybe Marcus' other secret shame is that he was really into cosplay when he was younger.

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
One of the Masterminds should've just been a Shiba Inu wearing a headset

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
My first experience with the RE0 story was the Umbrella Chronicles version, and they completely excised Opera Outfit Marcus from that version, just having the leeches imitate Old Man In A Suit Marcus. Needless to say, when I gave the proper game a try, I was a mite confused.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/nibellion/status/1247460906684080128?s=21

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
bring back meat mountain chris.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Jesus gently caress no more Chris for the love of God.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

DeadButDelicious posted:

Jesus gently caress no more Chris for the love of God.

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Isn't Chris like literally the least popular recurring protagonist character in the series, according to some poll or another?