Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

Isn't Chris like literally the least popular recurring protagonist character in the series, according to some poll or another?

I don't know how much that says though, considering that Leon, Claire, and Jill are all fantastic characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
I will take Ethan over Chris any day of the week and even then I don't think Ethan's that great.

I'm still going to play it anyway, but I've never been a fan of Chris over Jill or Leon.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i only care about chris when he's beefy enough to punch out an el gigante.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Codependent Poster posted:

I don't know how much that says though, considering that Leon, Claire, and Jill are all fantastic characters.
Yeah, that was the point, really. Chris stands out by being really boring and uninteresting in comparison to everyone else.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
Remembering the blatant haunted house sections they did with Eveline in 7 I'm actually not surprised that they're heading this direction. I remember thinking that the series' staple sci-fi biological gobbidly gook was kind of dead weight in that regard.

lurker2006 fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Apr 7, 2020

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

DeadButDelicious posted:

Jesus gently caress no more Chris for the love of God.

As a boring white dude named Chris R. who's perpetually angry at himself for failing he's one of the few game protagonists I can truly identify with.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Chris must be pushing 50 at this rate. I don’t mind as long as he is beefy as gently caress and gets to punch some heavy rocks.

Actually there’s some story potential there ala Wrath of Khan where he is having to come to terms with getting older and less capable despite the threat of BOWs being ever present.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Chris must be pushing 50 at this rate. I don’t mind as long as he is beefy as gently caress and gets to punch some heavy rocks.
He's 47-ish as of 2020, yeah.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

lurker2006 posted:

Remembering the blatant haunted house sections they did with Eveline in 7 I'm actually not surprised that they're heading this direction. I remember thinking that the series' staple sci-fi biological gobbidly gook was kind of dead weight in that regard.

Resident Evil 7 is a great game but it felt like it lacked confidence at points (especially after the excellent first act with Jack) as to whether it wanted to go hard in the direction of magical dream logic Silent Hill or virus technobabble Resident Evil, and you can feel that across the locks and keys, writing, the way the story wrapped up before the endgame with a "vision" of oh wait these monstrous beings are actually sympathetic, etc.

So if RE8 is committing more in one direction I'm even more excited.

That reminds me, remember how the Beginning Hour demo had a straight up ghost in it? It would appear on the stairway sometimes. Stuff like that note you can read changing after you watch the video? A lot of that was great for Twitch streamers and advertising for RE7 (especially their little updates to it over time, pretty brilliant honestly) but we were already in supernatural territory in it.

Also like, who hires the blue Umbrella PMC Chris is apart of? I mean, after what went down with Umbrella, and then with NEO Umbrella, who sees a PMC, run by former Umbrella employees, that calls itself Umbrella, and thinks, "Yeah, definitely gonna hire these guys to take this world threatening biological weapon into their care for me." :lol: Like a lot companies they must spend like 10,000x more on advertising than they do on every other aspect of the business combined. I was glad Chris was appropriately skeptical of them during his entire DLC chapter.

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Actually there’s some story potential there ala Wrath of Khan where he is having to come to terms with getting older and less capable despite the threat of BOWs being ever present.

RESIDENT EVIL: WRATH OF BURTON

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Apr 7, 2020

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Ugh, Chris. Give me literally any other member of the reoccurring cast.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I liked BSAA Chris who's obviously roided out to fight bioweapons which is kind of a cool aspect they never explored in his story.

Just a training montage of Chris punching things and injecting roids intermixed with Wesker injecting himself with weirder viruses. That would've fit RE5's mood to a T.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

"I gotta punch beef and do steroids to punch an evil vampire/viral superbeing." is the closest to interesting Chris ever became.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Maybe it'll be a swerve and the protagonist will be Chris' son, Chris Jr. You just know Chris is exactly the boring kind of guy to make his kid a junior.

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Make it beefy Chris with a beard. At least he'll be nice to look at. :v:

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Nightmare mode is loving bonkers so far, loving the ammo economy choices that giving the magnum so early against also super powerful enemies early is forcing me to make.

I know making this statement risks having people in this thread accuse me of enjoying a video game but I think I might like this better than the RE2 remake, and that was my favorite game of 2019.*

* this is a lie, it was Sekiro.

✝ but i didn't play that one until the end of the year

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I like Chris as a foil to Wesker and that's it. Coincidentally, all of his games feature Wesker.

Which means they're bringing Wesker back.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I like Chris as a foil to Wesker and that's it. Coincidentally, all of his games feature Wesker.

He had a genius backup plan where he used a virus to imprint a copy of his consciousness onto a small child and gets really pissy when he's told it's been done.

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
He's just gonna come back with no explanation, which is how it should be

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
WESKER: [exploding in a volcano] heh... i did this on purpose.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

lurker2006 posted:

Yeah, 7 seems like it would have been stronger if it had leaned into the "Weird poo poo happening in a swamp" aspect and dropped the super science connection. If you absolutely had to tie it into the overall franchise, then do it at the end with whoever comes to get Ethan out, which could be either good guys out to contain this or bad guys who heard his distress call and realized there was some untapped potential here. But just leave it at the implication, don't delve any deeper into it.

Really, it's a pretty natural direction to take the series. From the very outset of the franchise there has been people getting hosed up mentally by infection, which was revisited for the protagonist in RE4, and then even more explicitly used in 7.

Based on the image, I'd assume not-Bavaria or -Switzerland. The witch thing makes me think Hansel and Gretel and the Brother's Grimm in general. Chris & Claire's European Family Vacation confirmed.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It would be really funny if Alex Wesker just decides she loving hates Chris for no reason like her brother did.

Like Wesker takes weirdly personal offense to Chris's actions in RE1 considering that they didn't set him back in any way materially.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Chris... you ruined my plans by facilitating my plans, now i've sold my soul to a new organization. One that i founded, apparently, and less 'sold my soul' than i'm having a blast with my superpowers and jet planes. the point is, i hate you and i will have revenge for, uh.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Barry actually turned on him and rescued his family on top of surviving the mansion, you'd think he'd start there if he was annoyed by STARS survivors.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Bonaventure posted:

Chris... you ruined my plans by facilitating my plans, now i've sold my soul to a new organization. One that i founded, apparently, and less 'sold my soul' than i'm having a blast with my superpowers and jet planes. the point is, i hate you and i will have revenge for, uh.

Don't forget the in between part in RE4 where we learn that Wesker is going to resurrect Umbrella specifically. :D

Caidin posted:

Barry actually turned on him and rescued his family on top of surviving the mansion, you'd think he'd start there if he was annoyed by STARS survivors.

I forget, do Barry and Chris ever even have contact again outside of Chris writing that letter to this team in RE2?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

Don't forget the in between part in RE4 where we learn that Wesker is going to resurrect Umbrella specifically. :D
Well, that's what Krauser is in it for, but who knows what Wesker wants.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Cardiovorax posted:

COMPLETE GLOBAL SATURATION

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Neo Rasa posted:

As a boring white dude named Chris R. who's perpetually angry at Denny for failing to have the money. he's one of the few game protagonists I can truly identify with.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

I love that he says "Huh, almost let it slip" out loud JESUS CHRIST KRAUSER YOU HAD ONE JOB

IIRC Wesker says it straight up to Ada after she gets him the samples in the post-game stuff where you play as her.

:perfect: :hfive:

IT'S OKAY. HE IS GOING TO JAIL.

THANKS FOR PAYING MY TUITION JOHNNY
LET'S GET ICE CREAM!

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Chris is fine. They’ll probably write him as a more interesting character if the recent entries are anything to go by. I’ll allow it.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Supernatural horror game where Chris is constantly haunted by the 50,000 men who have died under his command.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

:stoked:

Finished OG RE3 and really enjoyed it. I admit I'm a shameless habitual saver. The limited saves are only part of the old REs that give me hives. I'm good with tank controls, limited resources, and other assorted outdated poo poo; I just don't want limited saves. I'm weak.

As soon as I finish RE7, I'll move on to REmake 3 now that I've got some context for comparison.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

I love that he says "Huh, almost let it slip" out loud JESUS CHRIST KRAUSER YOU HAD ONE JOB

IIRC Wesker says it straight up to Ada after she gets him the samples in the post-game stuff where you play as her.
Ah, alright then. I forgot all about that, I didn't pay much attention to Separate Ways.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

Supernatural horror game where Chris is constantly haunted by the 50,000 men who have died under his command.

The ghost of the guy that gets his head sawed apart in Not A Hero haunting him forever. Just popping up like Chris you could have taken like ONE SECOND to untie my wrists and we could have both just walked out of the totally unlocked gate behind us what the FUUUUCCCCKKKK

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

man nurse posted:

Chris is fine. They’ll probably write him as a more interesting character if the recent entries are anything to go by. I’ll allow it.
I was kinda joking with the Redfield family vacation comment, but I feel like it could actually work. Claire has like the most solid characterization of any RE protagonist, so you don't need to do as much with her, while it'd give them the perfect opportunity to explore another side of Chris. Pretty much every outing with him has been him as a professional, but pairing him up with his sister would give us a chance to see him with his guard down. Like seriously, make Chris the chill one of the pair, while Claire is cursing up a storm over getting involved in this bullshit, again.

E: Just to be clear, I don't mean making him unemotional, just make it so he's clearly choosing to be the calm and collected one because he knows at least one of them has to keep their head on straight for this. Maybe a small bit of realization that this is usually how he acts and going "yikes", maybe Barry was right, I did need this vacation.

Dan Didio posted:

You ate me!

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Apr 7, 2020

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I was kinda joking with the Redfield family vacation comment, but I feel like it could actually work. Claire has like the most solid characterization of any RE protagonist, so you don't need to do as much with her, while it'd give them the perfect opportunity to explore another side of Chris. Pretty much every outing with him has been him as a professional, but pairing him up with his sister would give us a chance to see him with his guard down. Like seriously, make Chris the chill one of the pair, while Claire is cursing up a storm over getting involved in this bullshit, again.

The total lack of direct association between Chris and Claire has always baffled me. The only game they're both in is CV, and they have something like two or three minutes of shared screentime. Even a full RE2 or RE3 style "intersecting protagonists" approach would probably have been pretty solid.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

E: Just to be clear, I don't mean making him unemotional, just make it so he's clearly choosing to be the calm and collected one because he knows at least one of them has to keep their head on straight for this. Maybe a small bit of realization that this is usually how he acts and going "yikes", maybe Barry was right, I did need this vacation.

You ate me!

There was an official Resident Evil manga called Heavenly Island that I believe sort of did this to tie the Revelations games together. IIRC Parker from Revelations is in it a bit but also with....a bunch of new one-off characters instead of actually tying anything together. I don't think it ever actually came out in English, I first learned of it when I saw it in a random bookstore in France.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

lurker2006 posted:

lol if you think witches and werewolves and hallucinations are not gonna get explained away by some new virus or mold.

village is the working title btw, might not be called that when it drops. or might it be something like the village, or VILLAGE:resident evil.

cant wait for Resident Evil CrucifIXion.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I like the dumbass biohorror a lot and I will only accept witches if they throw fire because of delicious, magical viruses and parasites. :colbert:

Still really want a game about the not-spanish knights 'sealing' Las Plagas away in the first place some day. I'd love to see people from ages past trying to deal with this bullshit and a totally melee focused game with crazy castles and exploding heads would rule.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Vikar Jerome posted:

lol if you think witches and werewolves and hallucinations are not gonna get explained away by some new virus or mold.

village is the working title btw, might not be called that when it drops. or might it be something like the village, or VILLAGE:resident evil.

cant wait for Resident Evil CrucifIXion.

The tenth game in the official series will take after popular franchise Friday the 13th and simply be called:

BARRY X

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Night10194 posted:

I like the dumbass biohorror a lot and I will only accept witches if they throw fire because of delicious, magical viruses and parasites. :colbert:
Yeah, I honestly like the magical viruses and it just won't feel like a real Resident Evil game unless someone turns into a horrible mutated fleshbeast at some point. It's not that a supernatural angle or haunted house aesthetics are bad thing, but that's what I play other series that aren't Resident Evil for, because Resident Evil provides a very specific thing that other series don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

That said I am extremely down for a hammy, crazy viral superbeing who thinks they are using powerful magic because their brain is hopped up on virus.