Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Corla Plankun posted:

i was really incredulous of this because that seems like it must be some kind of artifact but then i saw this map and now i feel like it is probably accurate

I think it's also something to do with the average density of the places people live, it's kind of a meaningless metric anyway, since just traveling a longer distance than someone else isn't a risk factor, it's about the variety of number of people you are in close contact with. Distance traveled or change in distance traveled might be OK proxies for that when comparing within NYC or LA or rural North Dakota, but I doubt they are useful between them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yall would poo poo yourselves if you knew how many miles the average working class southern/flyover citizen drove every week just to make their daily bread

for eight years i drove 25 miles each way to a job in walmart hell town because "It'S sOoO eXpEnSiVe tO lIvE iN A CiTy!" and i did the math after we moved to Denver, and i'd spent 80,000 dollars over ten years between cars, gas and insurance. it would have more than covered any higher cost of living from moving to a big city

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

pointsofdata posted:

I think it's also something to do with the average density of the places people live, it's kind of a meaningless metric anyway, since just traveling a longer distance than someone else isn't a risk factor, it's about the variety of number of people you are in close contact with. Distance traveled or change in distance traveled might be OK proxies for that when comparing within NYC or LA or rural North Dakota, but I doubt they are useful between them.
So I think the Google data linked earlier defines travel not in terms of miles but in terms of total visits to various destinations, and the compares with baseline percentage in the same region.

Like if you look at Texas vs California you can see that Texas had normal numbers of visits to the grocery store/park for one or two more weeks than CA did, coinciding with the lockdown order delays.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

it was nice that the entire city was basically empty.

didn't even bother waiting at every red light.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Jonny 290 posted:

a lot of my stuff involves sampling it for drum and bass type poo poo and i need that low C

I had a 6 string with two active pickups and it was a complete loving nerd bass that i'd never be caught out in public with, but it was super good for studio poo poo. gave it away when we moved to CO and now i'm fiending for it

anyways if i like this company's 5 string i'm going to buy a 3/4 scale 4 string and put piccolo strings on it stanley clarke style. like a dumb rear end 4 string finger picked long scale guitar.

i have a cheapass squier p bass special that i play in public

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i think it cost about $100
in 2013 or so. put some flat wounds on it and run it into a zoom b3n multi effects pedal. good enough for me

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

yall would poo poo yourselves if you knew how many miles the average working class southern/flyover citizen drove every week just to make their daily bread

for eight years i drove 25 miles each way to a job in walmart hell town because "It'S sOoO eXpEnSiVe tO lIvE iN A CiTy!" and i did the math after we moved to Denver, and i'd spent 80,000 dollars over ten years between cars, gas and insurance. it would have more than covered any higher cost of living from moving to a big city

people drive or commute a bunch in northern new england too; it's not uncommon (under normal circumstances) for me to be in two or three states in a day, and most of my jobs have been 45 min+ commutes, especially when i was in rural nh.

what's weird is most people want a commute that's at least a good 15-20 minutes, i guess so they have time to psych themselves up for work

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

fart simpson posted:

i think it cost about $100
in 2013 or so. put some flat wounds on it and run it into a zoom b3n multi effects pedal. good enough for me

yeah this is legit. the one i ordered is 239 bucks and the company only exists because some chinese machine shop started carving guitar bodies using their unused machines

you might call them the CNC music factor<aims rocket launcher at head and hits the trigger)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Broken Machine posted:

what's weird is most people want a commute that's at least a good 15-20 minutes, i guess so they have time to psych themselves up for work

20 minutes is widely accepted as the necessary time period you need to switch from Home Mode to Work Mode, this tracks

when you start wfh for the day, put your clothes on and take a walk around the block then start working. it helps delineate things

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah this is legit. the one i ordered is 239 bucks and the company only exists because some chinese machine shop started carving guitar bodies using their unused machines

you might call them the CNC music factor<aims rocket launcher at head and hits the trigger)

theres a lot of actually decent cheap instruments these days

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

this is SF from the initial SIP, and i'm glad to report that traffic is getting back to normal lmao

i thought about going to our company's treasure island storage unit and grabbing some of our n95 masks out of it (we do construction so we have a little bit) and it was almost as much traffic as normal

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

it's a shame I moved to the burbs because there would be some superb skate opportunities on the empty city streets right now, roads out here are dead quiet but aren't as smooth

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Jonny 290 posted:

it can also be a lot harder and require more lead time than you might be used to in order to find an apartment in the city proper

but then again what do i know, i've had my circumstances change like 3 times now where my nice new downtown apartment led to me suddenly having a reverse commute 20 miles out of the city like a dumbass

we just bought our first house so naturally i'm looking forward to unexpectedly getting a new job an hour away or some poo poo lol

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Xaris posted:

this is SF from the initial SIP, and i'm glad to report that traffic is getting back to normal lmao

i thought about going to our company's treasure island storage unit and grabbing some of our n95 masks out of it (we do construction so we have a little bit) and it was almost as much traffic as normal

hot tip for using an n95, now that universal masking is the official recommendation (to protect others from your spitbreath):

in addition to not touching your face at all or adjusting your mask or anything, when you take it off you've gotta do it without touching your face (grab the straps on the back of your head) and then immediately wash your hands

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
also you need goggles or some kinda eye protection, much moreso than gloves if you're gonna be around people

even big glasses are ok if you're careful handling them

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
All my coworkers are working at least three times as hard as they did while physically at work. You got guys who would clock in at 10 online asking to meet at 8am.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i'm on leave now because i have a 3 month old and a 3 year old at home, and my wife works at a hospital lol

i straightup don't understand how parents who have technical jobs that require large, uninterrupted blocks of attention to effectively perform are actually doing meaningful work

i can't even play first person shooters anymore lmao how am i supposed to analyze and quantify every item in a 300 page drainage system planset on my kitchen table while wrangling even one bottomless pit of need, much less two of them. it's insane

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
If someone tells you they are working from home while also looking after their kids without their partner helping they are lying op hope this helps

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
yeah there's definitely some of that "wink wink we know how you're supposed to be billing hours" stuff going on, but i'm p sure the lady i work with who has 5 year old twins and an "essential worker" husband who's gone all day is gonna take a gun and go shoot my boss if he thinks he's getting the same month of work outta her come may 1st that he got outta her last april

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

also you need goggles or some kinda eye protection, much moreso than gloves if you're gonna be around people

even big glasses are ok if you're careful handling them

what about beer goggles?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

in corona going-crazy news

https://twitter.com/jonny290/status/1247409660904091649

pretty excited. they report that theyre still shipping within 2-3 days so it won't be that long.

gently caress yes

Jonny 290 posted:

a lot of my stuff involves sampling it for drum and bass type poo poo and i need that low C

I had a 6 string with two active pickups and it was a complete loving nerd bass that i'd never be caught out in public with, but it was super good for studio poo poo. gave it away when we moved to CO and now i'm fiending for it

anyways if i like this company's 5 string i'm going to buy a 3/4 scale 4 string and put piccolo strings on it stanley clarke style. like a dumb rear end 4 string finger picked long scale guitar.

theres a lot of youtube learn to play *instrument* channels and I legitimately think about if I gave 20 mins a day to an instrument for a year, I can't imagine how pleased I would be with myself,

last night I learned to play the very first few moments of breath by pink floyd and it was so satisfying

although please everyone listen to breathe by pink floyd. the hammond rotating speaker is absolute pure heaven and at 13 seconds in on spotfy its sonic nirvana I am not joking

fart simpson posted:

i have a cheapass squier p bass special that i play in public

when do you play in plblic Im intrgued

im so so sog guuted I sold my electric. a PRS, the same kind dude from creed plays. yeah give me poo poo I dont care it was so so so fuckin nice and easy to play. I miss it a lot

I brought it for $1800 nzd. sold it for like $300 and used it to buy an original edition ipad. I call it an ipad classic to feel a little less bad about it.

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I’m really annoyed by this bullshit PPE Hail Mary by these failed institutions; it’s just feeding into people that were wasting and abusing and misusing the stuff to begin with and I’m sure my wife is now paying even more awful black market prices for stuff she actually needs

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
looking forward to when they start recommending lucky rabbits feet and colloidal silver

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

All states fighting over PPE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmd1qMN5Yo0

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
On a teams meeting rn.

People loving the new custom background option.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

does that mean I can stop my daisy chained virtual camera shenanigans

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis posted:

when do you play in plblic Im intrgued

im in a band with a friend here in shenzhen. he plays guitar, i play bass, and sometimes we get a drummer. we mostly play pop covers in bars on the weekends. well, we did but the bars are all closed now.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Hell yeah baby, team chud is explaining to us how the malaria meds are effective in combating corona.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
my boss busted out that dumbass "drink water to put the virus into your stomach" nonsense during the monday meeting

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

my boss busted out that dumbass "drink water to put the virus into your stomach" nonsense during the monday meeting

https://youtu.be/JYpsWY6U84w

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

man those are some cultural references that did not hold up

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

lancemantis posted:

yeah, baby

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

lancemantis posted:

the first powers movie was good enough since it was a sendup of bond, man from uncle, danger man, and a bunch of other cold war spy shows and movies. the second and third ones tried to be their own thing and that didn't really go so well.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i'm on leave now because i have a 3 month old and a 3 year old at home, and my wife works at a hospital lol

i straightup don't understand how parents who have technical jobs that require large, uninterrupted blocks of attention to effectively perform are actually doing meaningful work

i can't even play first person shooters anymore lmao how am i supposed to analyze and quantify every item in a 300 page drainage system planset on my kitchen table while wrangling even one bottomless pit of need, much less two of them. it's insane

my daughter just turned three and i've done about 2 days worth of work since wfh started a month ago

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Corla Plankun posted:

my daughter just turned three and i've done about 2 days worth of work since wfh started a month ago

I have a 4 year-old and the only way I get any work done is by waking up at 5 am, then I get about 2 hours before he's up.

After that, work is lucky if I answer calls

e: my productivity level has gone up since working from home

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
the death drive in children is strong

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Corla Plankun posted:

we have a six year old and an infant at home. wife is still going into the hospital. if we didn't have a babysitter i wouldn't be getting poo poo done.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
once upon a time we'd just toss kids out of the house after breakfast and tell them to be home for dinner, but cars have made that far too dangerous.

rotor fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 7, 2020

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
tell us more about what your life was like before cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Shaggar posted:

tell us more about what your life was like before cars.

:laugh: