Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Slippery Tilde

The Fool posted:

this conversation reminded me

enjoy this map of households without running water

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2019/08/plumbing-poverty-water-access-insecurity-race-class-map/595390/

that map seems extremely suspect for louisiana, there are still tons of people who don't have pipes there (because they live in the swamp)

maybe it's also got a population component or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

The Fool posted:

this conversation reminded me

enjoy this map of households without running water

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2019/08/plumbing-poverty-water-access-insecurity-race-class-map/595390/

the res not having running water you say

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The little house my mom grew up in didn't have running water, electicity, or trash collection, there were no zoning laws, and it was also a dry county.

We went back to visit in the late 80s and 4/5 of those things were still true!

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

lancemantis posted:

yeah I don't understand why we stopped using buses
white flight is a process, not an event

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
went to the grocery store during lunch to pick up some essentials, like toothpaste im running low on, and cat treats because Bones will become intolerable if he runs out and i'm working from home.

felt like i was robbing the place, hat, sunglasses, scarf covering my face.

then i blew off the last 2 hours of work to make a huge pot of spaghetti sauce and meatballs.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Broken Machine posted:

i remember reading some article where they looked at how far kids are allowed to roam from their house. a century ago, it was like ten miles. then gradually over time parents got more and more afraid, and neighbors more likely to call the cops because of your poor child enjoying playing outside instead of glazing in front of screens

my grandmother grew up in northern new jersey. as a kid in the 30s she and her friends would walk across the newly-completed george washington bridge to manhattan, and if they all had a nickel for the toll, they could go into the city for the day. she would have been maybe 12 at the time

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

lancemantis posted:

So yes, no more safe or dangerous

It’s all rose colored glasses and apocrypha

Incorrect. What i said was the KIDNAP rates are essentially the same. What HAS changed is that the neighborhoods are no longer safe for kids to roam around in because of auto traffic.

I know its hard to believe but some things actually do change. Things ARE different now. Some things for the worse, some for the better.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

anyway i'm done seriousposting about this poo poo but it's a fact and it's super lovely and it's hosed up several generations now and it's almost entirely due to cars and anyway have a great day

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
they should bring back the bi-directional roundabout

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
cars are actually very helpful in a pandemic though, so theres that

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'm not sure the actual rate of kidnapping has anything to do with it, it's just that you don't want to be the one in a million or whatever

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

car culture and the fact that everyone owns a car is objectively bad and theres 0 justification for it. road diets and light rail for everyone please.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
if they had public transit here i would use it.

too late now though, society is ending and you better get good at welding, you’re going to need to reinforce the frame of your car

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

power botton posted:

car culture and the fact that everyone owns a car is objectively bad and theres 0 justification for it. road diets and light rail for everyone please.

I hate cars and I especially hate hearing people explain why they have to have one. "Well you see my house is 40 miles from my job, so it's impossible to get rid of it". Like.. I know you make 250,000 and I know there are apartments right here in downtown DC.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
"It's not my fault I have to drive. I expended no effort, no thought, no political action, no energy, and no words attempting anything else, but you see I'm a victim which is why I had to buy this $60,000 sports car that gets 18MPG."

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I have an electric car and it is pretty great. The lease ends in like 8 days and I have called them every single day trying to extend it because I literally cannot return it right now so I guess i get it for free then? shrug

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
in Detroit we have no public transit because our mayor (pick any in the past 40 years) was corrupt as hell

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Salt Fish posted:

"It's not my fault I have to drive. I expended no effort, no thought, no political action, no energy, and no words attempting anything else, but you see I'm a victim which is why I had to buy this $60,000 sports car that gets 18MPG."

lol my dude, my 540i gets 24mpg highway and 12mpg city

city driving a big v8 is pure pig mode

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that being said my expedition gets 19 mpg on road trips, and honestly i can't cry about that.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Stereotype posted:

I have an electric car and it is pretty great. The lease ends in like 8 days and I have called them every single day trying to extend it because I literally cannot return it right now so I guess i get it for free then? shrug

if you don't have it garaged they may send a tow truck, until you resolve this don't leave anything you care about in the car.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
take the wheels off and put it on cinder blocks (1.99 each at home depot, which is an essential business) just to piss them off imo

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
my manual vw sportwagen gets me like 30 mpg and i drive 15 minutes to work when i actually have to drive, all highway. (0.25 miles to the on-ramp, 0.25 miles to the office building).

i love my car

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
goons not understanding the two body problem is not surprising. very hard to optimize for being walking distance to two different locations.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Midjack posted:

if you don't have it garaged they may send a tow truck, until you resolve this don't leave anything you care about in the car.

repo man is such a strange movie

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Midjack posted:

It is impossible to get a towtruck up my long winding driveway, a thing I learned when i was unable to get my car towed when it wouldn't start.

it turns out electric cars have a normal car battery in them to do the startup sequence and if it dies the car doesn't start. luckily replacing that fixed it or otherwise I'm not sure how i would have gotten it out of my driveway.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

just ban all cars immediately

those who live correctly won't suffer

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
at this point in time yeah I could technically make things work without a car it might just suck a little

I can walk or bike to the grocery store and work it just would take some time and risk

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
10 dollar gas would not significantly impact my life but would push a shitload of suburban idiots to campaign to make the WFH trend permanent. i think that's fair

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
then again I guess the car ban would eliminate that risk

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
the annoying part for me right now is that I could ride my bike to work pretty easily in the morning but the way back in the evening is hell

I kind of miss my old apartment for that reason; nice and easy riding

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Jonny 290 posted:

10 dollar gas would not significantly impact my life but would push a shitload of suburban idiots to campaign to make the WFH trend permanent. i think that's fair

same.

i fill my tank up like once every 2 weeks and it rules.

pump the price up to $20/gallon, less people on the road the better.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

some people can't avoid driving in the us. i have to travel on a regular basis, and public transit to some destinations is either not an option, or increases travel time significantly to where it's not feasible. if it's realistic to take transit, i do. if i was in europe, i'd take transit because it's actually comprehensive. it's great to encourage driving less, more fuel efficiency and transit and so on, but there are also farmers in rural areas driving around to help feed urbanites so that they don't have to

Broken Machine fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 8, 2020

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

so lemme just walk this back a lil. I'm not saying destroy all cars, although I know some people are. I'm saying we've prioritized efficient car traffic over virtually every other public need and created a wasteland where you can't walk, play or do anything other than drive or park.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

in Detroit we have no public transit because our mayor (pick any in the past 40 years) was corrupt as hell

disrespectful to detroit bus drivers getting killed by ‘rona

detroit doesn’t have unified regional transit because l brooks was an enormous racist and suburbanites living in fear of Those People crossing eight mile and doing crimes in bloomfield or downriver (lol)

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

rotor posted:

so lemme just walk this back a lil. I'm not saying destroy all cars, although I know some people are. I'm saying we've prioritized efficient car traffic over virtually every other public need and created a wasteland where you can't walk, play or do anything other than drive or park.

yeah; i'm in a city with good mixed-mode options and good management of it. it's safe biking, walking and there are a bunch of non-car alternatives. it'd be nice to see that and way better mass transit everywhere in the states, particularly between big cities

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

PCjr sidecar posted:

disrespectful to detroit bus drivers getting killed by ‘rona

detroit doesn’t have unified regional transit because l brooks was an enormous racist and suburbanites living in fear of Those People crossing eight mile and doing crimes in bloomfield or downriver (lol)

it wasnt l brooks patterson's fault the commuter train was closed down

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

it wasnt l brooks patterson's fault the commuter train was closed down

somehow coleman young’s fault the suburban transit authority that detroit didn’t own or run shut down the underused rail line

or the new rta featuring commuter rail in 2016 that oakland and macomb voters killed

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i ride the bus to and from the cbd in detroit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Beamed posted:

i ride the bus to and from the cbd in detroit

nice. what do you think of the woodward light rail line? i recall that getting thwarted for years. jelly that we don't have anything like that on the west side of the state. i'm sure i've mentioned this before, but the street we live on did have a streetcar line in the past.