Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Them talking about Sit Down Shut Up, reminds me how Goons kept saying "it has to be good, its from the people that made Arrested Development!"

God that show was bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

This episode was the first one my dad watched and his laugh at the bunny being tossed was one of the biggests i've ever heard from him.

This is the first Simpsons scene I remember seeing ever.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Matthew Jay back on the show and Talking Mission Hill just around the corner, what a good loving week for this podcast

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Fawf posted:

Matthew Jay back on the show and Talking Mission Hill just around the corner, what a good loving week for this podcast

and Reboot on WaC :toot:

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

It's that Episode is back for a Studio 60 checkin! Something to kill an hour of Bob's quarantine time

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
As The Adventures of Pete and Pete were not broadcast in Canada when I was a kid but drat if I had I would have been so into it.

Just from stuff like this and PushingUpRoses's video on Pete and Pete i get that feeling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MagG2PCYEE

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

twistedmentat posted:

As The Adventures of Pete and Pete were not broadcast in Canada when I was a kid but drat if I had I would have been so into it.

Just from stuff like this and PushingUpRoses's video on Pete and Pete i get that feeling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MagG2PCYEE

Just...seek it out and watch it now. It's so good. It's so drat good.

Watching the clips in that video reminds me of how just seeing a frame of the show that makes me wistful for North Jersey in late Summer/early Autumn...a state I've never actually set foot in, at ANY time of year.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
I think the Pete & Pete episode is going to get me to watch the entire series just like the Strangers With Candy episode did to me last year.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

JethroMcB posted:

Just...seek it out and watch it now. It's so good. It's so drat good.

Watching the clips in that video reminds me of how just seeing a frame of the show that makes me wistful for North Jersey in late Summer/early Autumn...a state I've never actually set foot in, at ANY time of year.

Yep. I love stuff with a small town with a bunch of weirdness and weird characters filling out the population but also kind of mundane.

And Bob talking about it being a show for soft boys, yea, that was me.

Something that i saw that I thought "wow that joke will get old super quickly" is Small Pete's tattoo. Glad they say that basically became background dressing.

Also I don't remember a lot about Malcom in the Middle, but wasn't the reason the family was in such dire straights with money was because the oldest kid was such a piece of poo poo they sent him to military school they couldn't afford?

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 8, 2020

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
At one point it's made very clear that Hal and Lois had an idyllic life right up until the second Francis was born, at which point everything went to poo poo.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I listened to their whole long thing about how Pete and Pete came to be with an air of cool detachment but once I heard that theme song I was just done.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I don't know what that post means. You were done with what? And why?

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I don't know what that post means. You were done with what? And why?

They held it together until this played and they had "all the feels" as the kids say

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkGtGt1L6iU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Ok, I read the OP as "done with the episode" so I was confused. Thank you for the clarification.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Analytic Engine posted:

They held it together until this played and they had "all the feels" as the kids say

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkGtGt1L6iU

Yeah every time I hear that song the feelings bulldozer knocks down my feelings house and I have to live in a feelings box in the rain.

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Apr 9, 2020

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Live version from the reunion show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaEy2IuYwRU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
That did get me watching a few Pete & Pete episodes. I loved that show when I was a kid.

It strikes me re-watching it that they really understood kid-logic well. Like, of course, Steve Buscemi's remote control car is a match for a real car in a race. Yeah, nothing you do in the hour that gets wiped out by daylight savings time counts, it's a total freebie. If you have the strongest man in the world push a house over an inch, the occupant would miss putting their key in the next day by an inch.

Anyway, What a Cartoon do a Pete and Pete instead of whatever your next anime is.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 9, 2020

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
If they want to do a live action cartoon, I'd recommend Get a Life. That was a very weird show. Plus David Mirkin!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Fezz posted:

If they want to do a live action cartoon, I'd recommend Get a Life. That was a very weird show. Plus David Mirkin!

Never seen it. Maybe we that'll be my next "no one cares enough to copyright claim this" YouTube binge

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

Never seen it. Maybe we that'll be my next "no one cares enough to copyright claim this" YouTube binge

It's all on one DVD set where David Mirkin does a commentary on every episode :c00l:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I've always seen this episode as my second favorite season 1 episode, after Krusty gets busted. But i'm not sure why. They're right though, Homer did nothing wrong outside of lying about what was going on, and event then he seemed to not be aware they were getting a dancer.

Also, yea the waiter knew exactly what he was dealing with in Bart.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
You know, I was never able to totally make out the lyrics to the What A Cartoon opening. Can anyone enlighten me?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
From ear:
Cartoons weren't frozen in the past
Every week will be an animated bash
What a cartoon
What a cartoon
Maybe a short but mostly shows
We'll talk, we'll analyze, exploring as we go
What a cartoon
What a cartoon
What a cartoon
What a cartoon

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

END ME SCOOB posted:

From ear:
What a cartoon
What a cartoon
What a cartoon
What a cartoon
What a cartoon
What a cartoon

Thank you! Finally I can sleep at night.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
This was literally the first Simpsons episode I ever saw.

And I am hankering for that Talking Mission Hill.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

END ME SCOOB posted:

From ear:
What a cartoon
What a cartoon
What a cartoon
What a cartoon
What a cartoon
What a cartoon

I always heard that first line as "cartoons from present and the past", could be wrong though!

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

I always heard that first line as "cartoons from present and the past", could be wrong though!

I definitely think it's this

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

zari-gani posted:

I definitely think it's this

I don't even know the lyrics and I agree

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

bobservo posted:

and that's how you get an answer straight from the source.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

bobservo posted:

Help us! Because now I'm not sure which one it is and you're the only proper authority.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

I thought it was "cartoons are dollars in dues"

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

zari-gani posted:

I thought it was "cartoons are dollars in dues"

That's not a reference! THIS is a reference!

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
The line is "Courtesy of Fred's two feet" actually

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
wrecked up like a douche?!?!

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
"Who pumped ethyl?!" :laugh:

Wait what are we doing again?

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Don't mind me, there is no combinatory value to my humour.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcNexLXRres

lyrics seem pretty straightforward

Analytic Engine fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 21, 2020

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
Catching up on What A Cartoon and it's funny to hear about the Smurfs being annoyingly pitched up. I grew up on the French version of the show in which they all just had normal voices, and the world was a much better place for it.

I know it likely won't happen, but I'd actually love to hear Bob and Henry cover the show sometime, if only to talk about the comics in the history section. I bet they'd have a ball talking about how the Smurfs' society was turned upside-down when they introduced the concept of money to it, or how their community once nearly had a civil war over petty tribalism (I think back to this comic whenever I see social media getting weirdly heated and hostile over poo poo like dogs VS cats), and, of course, DID THE SMURFS PREDICT THE TRUMP PRESIDENCY IN 1965?!? (seriously, though, he even builds a big wall)

Either that or the Flintstones. Which I guess doesn't really offer much social commentary so much as jokes about THE OL' BALL AND CHAIN and dinosaurs going "It's a livin'!" but I loved it as a kid, shut up.

All I know for sure is that if I somehow inherit a rich uncle's fortune, some of it will go towards subjecting Bob and Henry to Hanna-Barbera material that's terrible in hindsight but that I still have a nostalgic blind spot for.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Talking Mission Hill is starting this friday. And now both Bill and Josh have liked my tweet about being most excited for Unemployment part 2.

If you haven't watched the series, its all on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0ZMw4y9rV0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
I think the Flintstones is a good one to cover since it's the big prime time animated sitcom that influenced so many other things cartoon and otherwise. Could do a split episode with 80s trash, the Flintstone Kids.

All the turtles talk in this week's Talking Simpsons and I can't believe they haven't done TMNT yet. They could make it a theme month with all the reboots and the movie, not to mention that Japanese OVA or the movie.

There's so many wierd shows from my childhood that would be great episodes. poo poo like Turbo Teen, Dinosaucers, Kidd Video, Dungeons and Dragons, Captain N, all sorts, that if I had the money I'd subject Bob and Henry too. Even good things like Pirates of Dark Water. The well is truly bottomless.

Anyone else have cartoons they want the WAC crew to dissect and discuss?