Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

usa suck rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Modest Mao posted:

it just baffles me why this is appropriate

"blade runner had japanese xenophobia due to politics of the 80s so I wanted to update for 2020" does not count

I don't think this was meant to be denigrating. More like "look at these cyberpunkish cities" or something.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Modest Mao posted:

Just last page this thread had, as an entry to "shittiest possible cyberpunk dystopia" the fact that chinese have modern cities instead of I guess rice patties or w/e you all think asians deserve

edit: grammar mistake

despite the name, this thread does post neat cyberpunk stuff from time to time

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

china and usa both suck rear end

:yeah:

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer
I’ve worked at two major transplant hospitals. If there are so many organs in China why are we selling so many of ours to people from China and the Middle East?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Rhandhali posted:

I’ve worked at two major transplant hospitals. If there are so many organs in China why are we selling so many of ours to people from China and the Middle East?

our organs are better :911:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

usa suck rear end

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
western organ most famous

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There should be an organ donor/recipient matching app.

We could call it “Organ Grindr” :razz:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lmao

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Rhandhali posted:

best hospitals in the world for the .1% and I assume you can't byoo for a transplant

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Modest Mao posted:

it just baffles me why this is appropriate

"blade runner had japanese xenophobia due to politics of the 80s so I wanted to update for 2020" does not count

buddy you need to relax, this is just a thread of luddites posting weird/cool/sad/interesting examples of arguably cyberpunk stuff, sometimes political, mostly aesthetic, but no one is posting what you seem to think they're posting

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Italian mayor uses drones to scream profanities at people out during lockdown.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xmCW6R4Q4s

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
google will probably incite a war in our lifetimes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui208GTIQgI

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

GWBBQ posted:

Italian mayor uses drones to scream profanities at people out during lockdown.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xmCW6R4Q4s

are you trying to spread anti-italian racism?? this is unacceptable behavior from this thread

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
what’s funny is everyone loves the weird Italian poo poo.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
https://www.qpbriefing.com/2020/04/...d-april-1-rent/

quote:

Landlord service Naborly draws criticism for creating ‘blacklist’ of tenants who missed April 1 rent

As the COVID-19 pandemic ravages bank accounts worldwide, one Ontario-based company is looking to create what one housing lawyer called a "blacklist" of renters who missed payments on April 1, raising concerns among privacy experts and tenant advocates.

Naborly is a service that uses artificial intelligence to screen prospective tenants — including a credit check, criminal background check, social media scan and more — and assigns them scores based on how likely it believes them to meet risk factors like causing property damage or requiring eviction.

The company also lets landlords submit reviews of tenants they've rented to, including the tenant's full name, address, a star rating out of five and what kind of conflict the landlord may have had with the tenant. It is encouraging its users to use that service to help create a "database" of tenants who missed rent on April 1, to be made "available for all our landlord users in the future."

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

redleader posted:

there are other techniques you can use to uniquely identify people for mass surveillance - gait analysis is the one that immediately comes to mind

Would the old spy trick of a pebble in the shoe fool this?

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com

Amphigory posted:

Sure, it also probably crashes when handling edge cases like non-white people or people with decent posture.

AI is terrible, it turns out.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Monsters vs Aliens already did it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vCaMmP1fP8&t=5s

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

I'll take it over NYC having military troops enforcing social distancing.
lol at this poo poo being legal, nevermind considered acceptable

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

TimWinter posted:

Sure, it also probably crashes when handling edge cases like non-white people or people with decent posture.

AI is terrible, it turns out.

lol this just reminded me that on release the Apple watch heart monitor didn't work on black people, which they hadn't realised and actually still didn't because the issue was found by white people with wrist tattoos. I don't know if they've fixed this or not.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Clearview: Worse than we thought.

https://twitter.com/lukeobrien/status/1247622542535405568

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Who's up for submitting false reviews of cops etc?

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Platystemon posted:

There should be an organ donor/recipient matching app.

We could call it “Organ Grindr” :razz:

quote:

What is a kidney exchange?

A kidney exchange is an innovative twist on efforts aimed at increasing the donor pool by giving people who are unable to receive a kidney from a loved one or friend the opportunity to still receive a kidney through an exchange between incompatible donor-recipient pairs. Approximately one-third of patients who have a willing living kidney donor will not be able to receive the donor kidney because of an incompatible blood type or incompatible crossmatch. In the past, that would mean that patients often would have to wait for years on dialysis until a deceased donor kidney became available.

Now, with this exciting new program, you can exchange donors with another pair(s) in a similar situation as you, making transplantation possible.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

You can use that algorithm from futurama to make a much larger chain of kidney swaps

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

lol

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

bike tory posted:

lol this just reminded me that on release the Apple watch heart monitor didn't work on black people, which they hadn't realised and actually still didn't because the issue was found by white people with wrist tattoos. I don't know if they've fixed this or not.
The "measure every fiber of your body" device did not have period tracking at launch

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/ALeighMP/status/1247791598328360960

Yes, that does mean that the leader of the opposition in Australia has his phone actively listening around him all the time.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Amphigory posted:

i don't really see a pebble in the shoe as being a thing people will plausibly organically adopt - unlike, say, wearing masks in public

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bike tory posted:

i don't know how many have seen the Better Off Ted episode "Racial Sensitivity" where Veridian Dynamics replaces all their switches with ones that can't see black people, but the company I work for has always had switches like these in our bathrooms. I got done peeing about six weeks ago and there's a black guy moving from sink to sink trying to get water to wash his hands so I leaned over and activated the sensor for him (it's a wall mounted sensor, not under the faucet).

Dude was like "God drat even the faucets are racist?" and I was just like "Man, this is America, it's all racist" and stood there for a while so he could finish up.

Edit: If you have a chance during the lockdown you should really try to watch BoT if you haven't seen it, it's a great show, but it's hard to top "Racial Sensitivity" for the best ep. Maybe "Lust in Translation" comes close.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

CharlestheHammer posted:

it's funny af op

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/KSEE24/status/1247879066822291457

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

redleader posted:

i don't really see a pebble in the shoe as being a thing people will plausibly organically adopt - unlike, say, wearing masks in public

i guess it depends if your friends are being black bagged or not

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I don't drive by it often, but I've never seen it purple. Must be for Easter season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

GWBBQ posted:

I don't drive by it often, but I've never seen it purple. Must be for Easter season.

You’re probably right, purple is the color of Lent in Catholic liturgy