Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

Gay Retard posted:

but it might just be worth grabbing a USW Flex Mini for areas with multiple devices.

If you're pulling cable, do it right. Pull multiples, don't plan on just one drop anywhere. No sense in adding a bunch of choke points/failure points by way of leaf switches hanging off single 1g uplinks, run em back to a central switch and let it do its job.

Also highly suggest pulling cable and ceiling mounting AP(s) where necessary. Again, run a couple cables to these as well.

LABEL. EVERYTHING.

You don't have to terminate all drops right from the start if you don't want to, but it's far better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I've installed networks in a few houses pertaining to these ideas and it's paid off massively.

For example, think of your average living room setup. TVs, home theater receivers, streaming devices, game consoles, they generally all have wired Ethernet ports. Everything you can plug a cable into should be hardwired as that cuts down tremendously on unnecessary wireless traffic allowing mobile devices to work much, much better. Also think of where you're going to put things like networked printers and NAS devices if you have them now/plan to have them in the future, as well as cameras if that's on the table. For anything going outside make sure you have lightning arrestors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

Edit: :stare: I read that as 1gig. What you want doesn't exist on the market to my knowledge. Copper 10gig is super hot right now, as in a lot of btu's.

Why does it run so hot?

Buff Hardback posted:

you want 5+ 10-gigs? I'd not expect there to be anything that meets that criteria

I could make do with just 5. Even 3 or 4. Just thinking A new 10g NAS and a 10g desktop PCIe card and maybe one or two other devices. Already have the CAT6 run throughout the house, 4 drops each room.

Thanks Ants posted:

You budget is way off, you can get close if your 10Gbps requirements can be met with SFP+ ports but I assume you want copper.

SFP+ would require special cabling right? I have already run CAT6 throughout the house, so SFP+ is a no go.

SlowBloke posted:

If you are fine with sfp+ cages there are a handful of switches from mikrotik that fit most of your specs.

Don't think SFP+ works with CAT6 :( Please shout and tell me I'm wrong if I am!

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Steakandchips posted:

Why does it run so hot?

I could make do with just 5. Even 3 or 4. Just thinking A new 10g NAS and a 10g desktop PCIe card and maybe one or two other devices. Already have the CAT6 run throughout the house, 4 drops each room.

SFP+ would require special cabling right? I have already run CAT6 throughout the house, so SFP+ is a no go.

I forget the exact reasoning why, but if you figure that it's sending electrical pulses 10 times as fast, you can imagine that there's more stress on components. Frankly 10g for home use really only makes sense in a single room using short fiber runs, as realistically you're going to bottleneck elsewhere at that point.

If you really really really want 10g over copper, you'd have to buy SFP+ 10GBaseT transcievers for your SFP+ switch (at 60 bucks a pop), plus the SFP+ switch that supports those.

edit:

additionally i would not run a 10G SFP+ switch without it being managed because the bigger the gigs, the more computer touching you have to do to get things to behave properly

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Steakandchips posted:

Why does it run so hot?

Lotta thinkin going on in those little IC's and they haven't had 20 years of development put into them. Most people use optical PHY's which consume less power, so less heat. Only recently have copper RJ-45 terminated 10G things started becoming common on the enterprise market. (All of my servers now have native 10G copper, that wasn't an option 6 years ago.) Juniper delayed shipping their 48 port 10gig copper switch by YEARS because it kept burning up - this was 2013ish time? It's hazy.

If you pop a 100G QSFP optical module you will burn your hand. 10G X2 modules (so as wide as 2x RJ45 jacks, and about 4" long) would do that back in 2008.

You could go all passive by doing something superdumb like buying a 10G optical switch, then using a mountain of copper/fiber media converters, and it would all... work? But not for 200 of any currency.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Steakandchips posted:

https://www.servethehome.com/sfp-to-10gbase-t-adapter-module-buyers-guide/

30m maximum due to power issues on longer distances.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
The copper SFP+ modules don't adhere to the SFP+ specs because they exceed the maximum power draw, at least last time I looked. And they get hot as hell even without crazy data rates. I used a couple in my UniFi 16-XG switch until I got a model that let the fixed copper ports negotiate to 10Gbit then I yanked those suckers out.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

So if the devices that need 10 gig are in the same room and within 7 meters of each other I recommend you get:

https://www.amazon.com/MikroTik-CRS305-1G-4S-Gigabit-Ethernet-RouterOS/dp/B07LFKGP1L

It comes with router OS, you can make it run switch mode pretty easily.

Then you want these:

https://www.amazon.com/10G-SFP-DAC-Cable-SFP-H10GB-CU2M/dp/B00U8BL09Q

Sizes go from 0.5m to 7m. I believe these will NOT run hot like cat 6 sfp+ transceivers will for electrical magic reasons I don't understand.

If you have a setup where your NAS and PC are in one room like a home office or den or whatever, this will work great.

If you absolutely must go between rooms or across the house, you need to run fiber and use fiber sfp+ transceivers. That's not inherently hard or anything, just needs a little research. Look up "multimode" fiber cables and transceivers. Don't get single mode, that shits expensive and is meant for like 10km runs between buildings.

E: oh and of course you need SFP+ cards for each PC that will connect to this. Can find them pretty cheap used on ebay

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

VostokProgram posted:

Sizes go from 0.5m to 7m. I believe these will NOT run hot like cat 6 sfp+ transceivers will for electrical magic reasons I don't understand.

Passive vs active. It's literally connecting the wires like a cat6 cable.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Steakandchips posted:

Just link the NAS to the PC directly using the 10GbE interfaces, and then run gigabit everywhere else. Give the 10GbE interfaces on the NAS and PC static addresses without a gateway set, and then use the 1Gb interface as your normal one that has Internet access and connects to the rest of your network. Add a 10GbE switch in a year or so when prices have dropped.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

H2SO4 posted:

The copper SFP+ modules don't adhere to the SFP+ specs because they exceed the maximum power draw, at least last time I looked. And they get hot as hell even without crazy data rates. I used a couple in my UniFi 16-XG switch until I got a model that let the fixed copper ports negotiate to 10Gbit then I yanked those suckers out.

The latest gen of coppers sfp+ (which you can identify by having nbase-t) seems to stay well within the specs, the older ones were unreliable. Mikrotik still certifies their 32 sfp+ switches as half optical/half copper if you use 10gbase sfp+ due to the older sfp+ power draw.

VostokProgram posted:

https://www.amazon.com/10G-SFP-DAC-Cable-SFP-H10GB-CU2M/dp/B00U8BL09Q

Under 3m it's a passive cable that connects the two switches, over 3m it has electronics in the sfp+ endpoint. Even then, since it doesn't have to do all the modulation conventional ethernet does, the power draw is more limited.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Hey folks - my family lives in a ~100 year-old house and I'm looking for a good wifi solution for them. They currently have Cox 150 Mbps plan, and with their current wifi they are getting 1-10 Mbps (but 150 Mbps when connected to the router via ethernet). Resetting has not solved the issue. I'm leaning towards telling them to upgrade to a better wifi, is the list in the OP still current? looks like it was last updated in 2018.

It's an old house so plenty of beams and wood in the way. The router would be located on the first floor near one corner. Right now with quarantine my sister and her husband are staying there so it's 4 adults 3 children with maybe 5-8 wifi-enabled devices connected at any one time across the house and 5 or so active at once. I also set them up with two extenders to boost the signal but these don't seem to be doing the trick any more. I imagine they'd be willing to pay a bit more if it would result in actual good speeds around the house, but obviously don't want to overdo it since it's just for residential work / video conferencing /streaming.

Any recommendations?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Tom Tucker posted:

Hey folks - my family lives in a ~100 year-old house and I'm looking for a good wifi solution for them. They currently have Cox 150 Mbps plan, and with their current wifi they are getting 1-10 Mbps (but 150 Mbps when connected to the router via ethernet). Resetting has not solved the issue. I'm leaning towards telling them to upgrade to a better wifi, is the list in the OP still current? looks like it was last updated in 2018.

It's an old house so plenty of beams and wood in the way. The router would be located on the first floor near one corner. Right now with quarantine my sister and her husband are staying there so it's 4 adults 3 children with maybe 5-8 wifi-enabled devices connected at any one time across the house and 5 or so active at once. I also set them up with two extenders to boost the signal but these don't seem to be doing the trick any more. I imagine they'd be willing to pay a bit more if it would result in actual good speeds around the house, but obviously don't want to overdo it since it's just for residential work / video conferencing /streaming.

Any recommendations?

I would suggest to have multiple access points with at least one per floor, depending on sqm you might have to do more than one per floor. Can you run ethernet wires from the coax drop to the rest of the house?

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

SlowBloke posted:

I would suggest to have multiple access points with at least one per floor, depending on sqm you might have to do more than one per floor. Can you run ethernet wires from the coax drop to the rest of the house?

I think the ship sailed on that - they re-did the electrical a few years ago and opening up the old walls was a nightmare. I'm not even sure they have a cable access point on the second floor... I will find out!

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

Just link the NAS to the PC directly using the 10GbE interfaces, and then run gigabit everywhere else. Give the 10GbE interfaces on the NAS and PC static addresses without a gateway set, and then use the 1Gb interface as your normal one that has Internet access and connects to the rest of your network. Add a 10GbE switch in a year or so when prices have dropped.

This is exactly what I do cause I'm too cheap to pay for a 10GbE switch.

Anyone have any experience with WiFi 6 APs? Seems like the only ones that are remotely appropriate/affordable for the home are EnGenius ones.

linky: https://www.amazon.com/EnGenius-EWS377AP-802-11ax-Wireless-Features/dp/B07SGH1S4K

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Prescription Combs posted:

Anyone have any experience with WiFi 6 APs? Seems like the only ones that are remotely appropriate/affordable for the home are EnGenius ones.

linky: https://www.amazon.com/EnGenius-EWS377AP-802-11ax-Wireless-Features/dp/B07SGH1S4K

Honestly, WiFi 6 isn't worth shelling out for just yet.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Tom Tucker posted:

I think the ship sailed on that - they re-did the electrical a few years ago and opening up the old walls was a nightmare. I'm not even sure they have a cable access point on the second floor... I will find out!

If the wiring was replaced recently and properly, you might have good luck with powerline adapters as well.

thiazi
Sep 27, 2002

LRADIKAL posted:

If the wiring was replaced recently and properly, you might have good luck with powerline adapters as well.

Power line would be good. If not that, it might be a good candidate for a WiFi mesh setup.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Do any of the NASs have a 10gb USB interface in addition to their network? If you're connecting to a PC as an interim solution would that be easier? Not sure which is more widely deployed yet.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Buff Hardback posted:

Honestly, WiFi 6 isn't worth shelling out for just yet.

Fair 'nuff. Prices currently seem excessive for wifi6 stuff. Some of those routers with 8 antenna are really amusing, what an awful thing to look at.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
I switched to fiber and my isp is only giving me a ipv6 address now which completely trashed all my port forwarding and dynamic dns configurations. I've got a Fritz!box 7582 and I setup ipv6 port forwarding but I can't seem to get external connections to work.

On top of that, connecting to my media server with its ipv6 address isn't working either :/

Is there some sort of dummies guide to ipv6 networking at home that I can go through to figure out all this stuff?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Charles posted:

Do any of the NASs have a 10gb USB interface in addition to their network? If you're connecting to a PC as an interim solution would that be easier? Not sure which is more widely deployed yet.

If your nas hasn't got a potato as CPU you could try using these

https://www.qnap.com/en/product/qna-uc5g1t

on a usb 3 port.

10g would require a usb 3.1 gen2 and that is kinda expensive.

Ashex posted:

I switched to fiber and my isp is only giving me a ipv6 address now which completely trashed all my port forwarding and dynamic dns configurations. I've got a Fritz!box 7582 and I setup ipv6 port forwarding but I can't seem to get external connections to work.

On top of that, connecting to my media server with its ipv6 address isn't working either :/

Is there some sort of dummies guide to ipv6 networking at home that I can go through to figure out all this stuff?

most dynamic dns hosts don't support ipv6 so that's the reason your fritz might be on the fritz :dadjoke: The ones i know that work with ipv6 are cloudflare, noip and dynv6.

Usually you get a ipv6 class not a single ip so port forward is not necessary, you need to set up the fritz to receive the wan ipv6 and propagate that class to devices, most boxes won't have ipv6 enabled for security reasons so you will need to do some tinkering before it works.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Apr 8, 2020

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
EDIT: Doublepost

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
Question on choosing the best channel for my 2.4 GHz network.

I have my AP set to auto-pick the best channel, and it seems to default to Channel 6. Today I ran a Wi-Fi Scan in the iOS AirPort Utility to see what my neighbors were using and my worst fears were realized: a large number are using Channels 4, 5, 8 and 9 for some unknown reason. Luckily, while I live in densely populated neighborhood, our houses are far enough apart that most of the other networks are in the -75 dBm to -90 dBm range.

It looks like either Channel 1 or Channel 11 will have the least overlap. The next strongest network to mine is Channel 5 @ -75 dBm and that is the only interference in that range. There are more networks on Channel 11 and Channel 9 but are much weaker strength around -90 dBm. Am I better of going with Channel 1 and slightly overlapping the Channel 5 guy or going with Channel 11 with more overlap but weaker signals.

loving neighbors.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

WarMECH posted:

Question on choosing the best channel for my 2.4 GHz network.

I have my AP set to auto-pick the best channel, and it seems to default to Channel 6. Today I ran a Wi-Fi Scan in the iOS AirPort Utility to see what my neighbors were using and my worst fears were realized: a large number are using Channels 4, 5, 8 and 9 for some unknown reason. Luckily, while I live in densely populated neighborhood, our houses are far enough apart that most of the other networks are in the -75 dBm to -90 dBm range.

It looks like either Channel 1 or Channel 11 will have the least overlap. The next strongest network to mine is Channel 5 @ -75 dBm and that is the only interference in that range. There are more networks on Channel 11 and Channel 9 but are much weaker strength around -90 dBm. Am I better of going with Channel 1 and slightly overlapping the Channel 5 guy or going with Channel 11 with more overlap but weaker signals.

loving neighbors.

I would hope your AP knows best. Remember that a 2.4ghz signal is actually 3 channels wide, centered on your chosen channel, and there may be non-WiFi QRM that the radios in your Airport may see while you can’t.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Random dumb question... I see Archer C9 v1 routers on ebay for like $45. Is there something horribly wrong with the v1 that would make it a non-starter for home use? Just wondering why it's so stinkin cheap

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

SlowBloke posted:

most dynamic dns hosts don't support ipv6 so that's the reason your fritz might be on the fritz :dadjoke: The ones i know that work with ipv6 are cloudflare, noip and dynv6.

Usually you get a ipv6 class not a single ip so port forward is not necessary, you need to set up the fritz to receive the wan ipv6 and propagate that class to devices, most boxes won't have ipv6 enabled for security reasons so you will need to do some tinkering before it works.

Please make sure you have a basic "default deny" firewall on your router. You need to test this from outside your network to be sure. You don't want a nasty surprise that the lovely web interface on your NAS is exposed to the internet directly. NAT'd IP4 networks gave this to you for free.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

I've started trying a few out but they all seem to cost money (one is just $6/year so maybe I'll go for it). I did get a ipv6 class assigned and I configured the router to assign addresses from it but for some reason I can't access my media server remotely when I add its address to a AAAA DNS record and try hitting it from my phone (I did configure ipv6 port forwarding in the router). It's just plain Fedora Server and I verified it's got a single ipv6 address from that class as opposed to a ULA.

Ashex fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 8, 2020

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Ashex posted:

I've started trying a few out but they all seem to cost money (one is just $6/year so maybe I'll go for it). I did get a ipv6 class assigned and I configured the router to assign addresses from it but for some reason I can't access my media server remotely when I add its address to a AAAA DNS record and try hitting it from my phone. It's just plain Fedora Server and I verified it's got a single ipv6 address from that class as opposed to a ULA.

You might try calling your ISP and asking if they filter inbound requests to your home. They might be doing the firewall thing for you. Make sure you can access your service via its IP6 address while on your home network but not on the fedora box. Might be the firewall on your server itself blocking it.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

You might try calling your ISP and asking if they filter inbound requests to your home. They might be doing the firewall thing for you. Make sure you can access your service via its IP6 address while on your home network but not on the fedora box. Might be the firewall on your server itself blocking it.

Oh geez, calling my ISP is a nightmare with minimum hour long waits but I'll give that a shot.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Ashex posted:

I've started trying a few out but they all seem to cost money (one is just $6/year so maybe I'll go for it). I did get a ipv6 class assigned and I configured the router to assign addresses from it but for some reason I can't access my media server remotely when I add its address to a AAAA DNS record and try hitting it from my phone. It's just plain Fedora Server and I verified it's got a single ipv6 address from that class as opposed to a ULA.

Registering your own domain and running cloudflare is about the same price and a lot more flexible, take that into account too.

This are the basic steps for setting up ipv6

https://en.avm.de/service/fritzbox/fritzbox-7590/knowledge-base/publication/show/573_Configuring-IPv6-support-in-the-FRITZ-Box/

Did you follow all of these steps?

Deathreaper
Mar 27, 2010

Prescription Combs posted:

I have 2 EWS377APs in my house, one at the second level, and one at the ground floor. Really liking them so far, range is good, very reliable, can be powered via POE and they have a 2.5GB ethernet port on them. I get single client download speeds in the 850Mb/s range within the same room, and around 650-750Mb/s a room or two over (this is on a Samsung Galaxy S10e client, I get slightly faster speeds using my laptop which has an Intel AX200 card).

Deathreaper fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 8, 2020

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

Registering your own domain and running cloudflare is about the same price and a lot more flexible, take that into account too.

This are the basic steps for setting up ipv6

https://en.avm.de/service/fritzbox/fritzbox-7590/knowledge-base/publication/show/573_Configuring-IPv6-support-in-the-FRITZ-Box/

Did you follow all of these steps?

Yep although those steps set it up to hand out local addresses, I set it up to assign from my prefix. I'm going to email my ISP and hope they reply but there's a chance I'll have to pay up for a ipv4 address.

Edit: I've already got a domain setup for this, I guess I could delegate it to cloudflare as that's its only use.

Ashex fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Apr 8, 2020

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Ashex posted:

Yep although those steps set it up to hand out local addresses, I set it up to assign from my prefix. I'm going to email my ISP and hope they reply but there's a chance I'll have to pay up for a ipv4 address.

Edit: I've already got a domain setup for this, I guess I could delegate it to cloudflare as that's its only use.

If you could share the isp maybe we could help more, i've found a belgian isps that shows how to configure his services with a similar model of yours here https://www.edpnet.be/en/support/installation-and-usage/internet/manage-fritz!box/how-do-i-enable-ipv6-on-my-fritz!box.html

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Ashex posted:

Or aws is $6/year for r53.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

If you could share the isp maybe we could help more, i've found a belgian isps that shows how to configure his services with a similar model of yours here https://www.edpnet.be/en/support/installation-and-usage/internet/manage-fritz!box/how-do-i-enable-ipv6-on-my-fritz!box.html

I've got M-Net (The German telecom not the south african tv channel). The lovely thing is that the ISP disabled the IPv6 tab (I was messing with it before I called them the activate the router). It's using DS-Lite for the IPv4 connection and the monitor view shows that I do have a prefix assigned though.

H110Hawk posted:

Or aws is $6/year for r53.

I'm already using namecheap for my domains, I'm only really looking for a service that has dynamic dns built in (I could build something myself with aws but :effort:) as namecheap only does ipv4.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Ashex posted:

I've got M-Net (The German telecom not the south african tv channel). The lovely thing is that the ISP disabled the IPv6 tab (I was messing with it before I called them the activate the router). It's using DS-Lite for the IPv4 connection and the monitor view shows that I do have a prefix assigned though.

If the articles i found are true ( https://klaus.hohenpoelz.de/mnet-ipv6-port-forwarding-fritzbox-7430.html ) you are behind some nasty carrier grade NAT, i would strongly recommend a chat with their support.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

If the articles i found are true ( https://klaus.hohenpoelz.de/mnet-ipv6-port-forwarding-fritzbox-7430.html ) you are behind some nasty carrier grade NAT, i would strongly recommend a chat with their support.

drat, I'd spotted that and tried just exposing my address but didn't have any luck. Time for a chat :/

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

NotNut posted:

I keep getting disconnected from TF2 games. no other apps seem to disconnect, but I'm still wondering if I'm having mini outages. is there a program that could detect that? like it keeps pinging something reliable every second and reports when it doesn't work?

Back a page, but TF2 was having issues with people/bots lagging the server so hard that everyone would disconnect. A patch was released recently to address this, so hopefully it stopped for you.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

SlowBloke posted:

Cgnat + ip6 is an amazing waste of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I wouldn't be that fussed with an ISP that gave me a CGNAT IPv4 address, but I'd want my IPv6 to be a static /56. Dynamic IPv6 makes no sense at all.