Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

alf_pogs posted:

I ended up liking The Deep more than The Troop for how loving weird it gets and how sort of bombastic the ending is, but it might not be for everyone. The Troop is probably the better, leaner book though

The troop felt exhausting towards the end. Like it definitely hits the gross unending squeamish quality that might work for some people, but I started skimming towards the end just to get it over with because it felt so over the top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Fan readings yes, but they're very very good ones.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

post a couple good ones and then ask mods nicely for the tag and perhaps you'll get it, although there is no such thing as mods, nothing of the sort. Just infinite empty blackness.

Dear shadow gods (mods?), please take pity upon my wretched existence and grant me this request.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7B_Q2yUPRs Nethescurial, I really enjoyed even though I don't like Lovecraftian / Cthulu-esque stuff very much. Great voice work by the narrator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w11mfpEVSDw Frolic, a story about a criminal psychologist who works at a prison with a monstrous inmate. Loved Ligotti's take on this type of story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKl_kNXc7Vs The Town Manager, DUSTROY TROLY. Great prose here. This one deserves to be read as well as heard.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

dear mods please restore my ligotti gangtag...though I know there is no honor in distinguishing myself as an individual, only a further descent into consciousness

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

You can PM him to ask, although I don't know if he'll say yes, or you can just buy a new av and add the code yourself.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I got Conspiracy Against the Human Race today!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I just finished The Deep after I kept bouncing off of most of the first half.

Then the middle got just loving :stare: and I was hooked.

But then the ending sure was a thing. I don't know how I feel about this book.

l33tfuzzbox
Apr 3, 2009
I finished the raw shark texts, enjoyed it but it didn't really grab me. Also read last days by evenson, and it was amazing. I could see a killer film from it. I actually enjoyed it so much i grabbes two more of his story collections, i already have song for the unravelling.

I really enjoyed wounds, but i feel im bouncing off north American lake monsters. not sure why.

Also, a question. My girl bought me some books xalled the dark verse, volumes 1 , 2, and 3. Author is listed as....sharkchild? Ive never heard of these. Has anyone here read them? Are they any good? They look nice but the author name throws me.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

If want to do some discussion of Last Days and North American Lake Monsters, I'd love to. I have some very positive but nuanced opinions about both.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I have read all of one Brian Evenson short story collection and half of another, and both had similar stories about a guy in a deeply unhappy relationship with a quietly controlling GF he can't leave and I am wondering who hurt Brian Evenson

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I have read all of one Brian Evenson short story collection and half of another, and both had similar stories about a guy in a deeply unhappy relationship with a quietly controlling GF he can't leave and I am wondering who hurt Brian Evenson

From what I understand, the Church of Latter Day Saints

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Just read Michel Bernanos’s “The Other Side of the Mountain” and it sufficiently and pleasantly hosed me up. Can’t recommend it enough if you’ve yet to read it.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Got an elevator pitch?

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
A more existential “The Butcher’s Table”

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Conrad_Birdie posted:

A more existential “The Butcher’s Table”

drat, you stuck the landing on that one. I'm sold.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
gently caress. I've been saving the Butcher's Table because it's the last published Ballingrud I haven't read.

I guess it's time.

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord
Here's a video of David Tibet (of Current 93) accepting the Bram Stoker Lifetime Achievement Award on behalf of Ligotti. Ligotti's acceptance speech reads... pretty much exactly how you'd imagine.

https://youtu.be/PXdE3mq-OZc?t=822

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Conrad_Birdie posted:

From what I understand, the Church of Latter Day Saints

that actually explains a lot

I just purchased some Ligotti. Should be interesting reading in my quarantine cave.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

escape artist posted:

gently caress. I've been saving the Butcher's Table because it's the last published Ballingrud I haven't read.

I guess it's time.

indulge as soon as possible. it's by far my favourite of all his stories

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
Hey everybody. I have a sort of specific subgenre/trope? of horror lit I'm wondering if anyone could help find more examples of. I'm working through Universal Harvester and I'm really interested in more horror/thriller books with a focus on strange, disturbing or otherwordly media. Like weird unknown tapes, audio files of disturbing stuff, etc. A good example would be Night Film where the book is focused on a series of lost and disturbing giallo horror films and a search for their creator.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

OpenSourceBurger posted:

Hey everybody. I have a sort of specific subgenre/trope? of horror lit I'm wondering if anyone could help find more examples of. I'm working through Universal Harvester and I'm really interested in more horror/thriller books with a focus on strange, disturbing or otherwordly media. Like weird unknown tapes, audio files of disturbing stuff, etc. A good example would be Night Film where the book is focused on a series of lost and disturbing giallo horror films and a search for their creator.

We've talked a bit about Matthew Bartlett in this thread recently, and Gateways to Abomination fits this. It's a series of vignettes from a small Massachusetts town radio station, WXXT, that's apparently run by some kind of horrifying witches or supernatural beings. It doesn't really have the thriller/search-for-the-artifact elements that lots of these stories do, but the atmosphere and the writing are top notch.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Song of Kali by Dan Simmons and the Ring cycle by Koji Suzuki spring to mind.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

OpenSourceBurger posted:

Check out the anthologies Lost Signals and Lost Films. Also Experimental Film by Gemma Files

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

As someone who loves that style of book, I'd say Experimental Film was thoroughly enjoyable. Not a must-read horror novel in general, but a lot of fun if you're looking for that sort of "found footage" horror done pretty well as a book.

The Grin of the Dark by Ramsey Campbell might qualify, I haven't read it myself though.

The Last Days of Jack Sparks kind of fits, as does The Cipher. The Cipher doesn't strictly speaking fit the requirement exactly but it definitely does in spirit.

As a non-recommendation, avoid Found Audio by NJ Campbell. It ostensibly fits the whole "found audio tapes" horror trope but it's a pretty bad book that really squanders the premise, and is just generally poorly written.

I'm an absolute sucker for this style of horror, and love Night Film and Universal Harvester, despite them both, especially the latter, not really being traditional horror. Hell, Universal Harvester really got shortchanged by even being marketed as horror, I think half of what makes the book so good is how it subverts the expectation that it's going to be a horror novel, but that said it has one of the most interesting/unsettling moments in any book I've read, though that may be more attributed to me and how I read than the book.

edit: for bonus points, I think Lost Signals had a story in it by a goon, though it's entirely possible I'm misremembering that, and no longer remember who it would be anyway.

MockingQuantum fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 20, 2020

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Also, Laird Barron's The Imago Sequence (and quite a few other Barron short stories) fits neatly into that genre.

It's film, but the Masters of Horror episode Cigarette Burns is exactly what you're looking for. The Ninth Gate as well, if you're willing to watch Roman Polanski's work, or the Arturo Perez-Reverte novel it's based on (The Club Dumas), if you're iffy on that.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
Death Sentences by Chiaki Kawamata influenced The Ring and other similar stuff. Not sure it's purely horror though.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

a foolish pianist posted:

Also, Laird Barron's The Imago Sequence (and quite a few other Barron short stories) fits neatly into that genre.

It's film, but the Masters of Horror episode Cigarette Burns is exactly what you're looking for. The Ninth Gate as well, if you're willing to watch Roman Polanski's work, or the Arturo Perez-Reverte novel it's based on (The Club Dumas), if you're iffy on that.
The Club Dumas is a fantastic book but really isn't horror.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

OpenSourceBurger posted:

Found Audio

MockingQuantum posted:

As a non-recommendation, avoid Found Audio by NJ Campbell. It ostensibly fits the whole "found audio tapes" horror trope but it's a pretty bad book that really squanders the premise, and is just generally poorly written.
Eh its not so bad. As I recall, a lot of you criticized before I can easily attribute to story driven mechanisms.

Plus part of it is set in the Kowloon Walled City and who can dislike that

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 20, 2020

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

MockingQuantum posted:

As someone who loves that style of book, I'd say Experimental Film was thoroughly enjoyable. Not a must-read horror novel in general, but a lot of fun if you're looking for that sort of "found footage" horror done pretty well as a book.

The Grin of the Dark by Ramsey Campbell might qualify, I haven't read it myself though.

The Last Days of Jack Sparks kind of fits, as does The Cipher. The Cipher doesn't strictly speaking fit the requirement exactly but it definitely does in spirit.

I'm an absolute sucker for this style of horror, and love Night Film and Universal Harvester, despite them both, especially the latter, not really being traditional horror. Hell, Universal Harvester really got shortchanged by even being marketed as horror, I think half of what makes the book so good is how it subverts the expectation that it's going to be a horror novel, but that said it has one of the most interesting/unsettling moments in any book I've read, though that may be more attributed to me and how I read than the book.

edit: for bonus points, I think Lost Signals had a story in it by a goon, though it's entirely possible I'm misremembering that, and no longer remember who it would be anyway.

It's a-me!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Vastarien posted:

Here's a video of David Tibet (of Current 93) accepting the Bram Stoker Lifetime Achievement Award on behalf of Ligotti. Ligotti's acceptance speech reads... pretty much exactly how you'd imagine.

https://youtu.be/PXdE3mq-OZc?t=822

I found it to be a touching and compassionate statement.

I will also now be meditating on every element in David's wardrobe. Fantastically put together fellow

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

The folks at the Unnamed Footage Festival issued a novella with their admission badge this year that was essentially the Giallo version of Cigarette Burns. I thought it was really fun, and they're giving away free PDF's of it:

https://twitter.com/unnamedfootage/status/1245791077048528896

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I just want to say that while I mostly lurk/poo poo post this thread, I loving love you people. That found footage recommendation storm gave me like seven new books to read. :glomp:

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Just read Michel Bernanos’s “The Other Side of the Mountain” and it sufficiently and pleasantly hosed me up. Can’t recommend it enough if you’ve yet to read it.

Is it only ~100 pages? Not cheap on eBay etc.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Yeah it’s around there. It’s included in full in the VanderMeer’s “The Weird” anthology, which is where I read it. Probably the cheapest way to read it these days. Liked it so much I’m thinking about shelling out for one of those older printings, though.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Joe Pulver passed away earlier today. His work was definitely an acquired taste, but he was one of the nicest guys you could hope to meet.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Ornamented Death posted:

Joe Pulver passed away earlier today. His work was definitely an acquired taste, but he was one of the nicest guys you could hope to meet.

Any works of his you'd recommend? I know I've read some of his stuff in various anthologies, but I couldn't point to any specific stories off the top of my head.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

His first collection, Blood Will Have It's Season, is the most approachable of what I've read. The first story is one of my favorites.

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018
Anyone got good recommendations for historical horror/horror-adjacent novels? I particularly like anything to do with witches and witch trials. I’ve already tried Speaks the Nightbird by McCammon and bounced off of it—there is a good 300 page novel in there, but I thought it was pretty bloated as it stood:

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Speaking of historical horror I just finished The Terror and I really liked it starting out and hoo boy does that book nosedive in the back half. Can't believe I just read all those pages to get "It was an Eskimo magic monster only barely controlled by these sacred people; but you, white Irishman, can learn our sacred ways by...having sex with a teenage Eskimo girl who can't speak. Also because you are a psychic.". Terrible.

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018

Untrustable posted:

Speaking of historical horror I just finished The Terror and I really liked it starting out and hoo boy does that book nosedive in the back half. Can't believe I just read all those pages to get "It was an Eskimo magic monster only barely controlled by these sacred people; but you, white Irishman, can learn our sacred ways by...having sex with a teenage Eskimo girl who can't speak. Also because you are a psychic.". Terrible.

Wow I am very glad they left the spoilered part out of the show. Yikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Doctor Faustine posted:

Wow I am very glad they left the spoilered part out of the show. Yikes.

The show objectively improved on so many lovely parts of the book. The book is 80% pretty good and 20% shockingly bad (though I personally think it's at least 100 pages longer than it needs to be, but that's just about everything Simmons writes these days). It's been a long time since I read a book that I was so ready to love and came to despise in the back quarter.