Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Thanks.

Back to the comic, I'm more fascinated than ever as to what crime or transgression Snout or his parents must have committed to be exiled. Who were his people? Who were his parents? He doesn't read like a feral loner or a hermit, just a socially maladjusted nerd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Snout was probably ostracized for being a creep, with the other mongrelfolk quietly moving away rather than call him out for being inappropriate.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Snout was banished for his inability to get a boner and participate in the mandatory orgies

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

his tail was grossing everyone out

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

The Little Death posted:

Back to the comic, I'm more fascinated than ever as to what crime or transgression Snout or his parents must have committed to be exiled.

They're extremely rude people who never ask anyone for their names.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

The Little Death posted:

Thanks.

Back to the comic, I'm more fascinated than ever as to what crime or transgression Snout or his parents must have committed to be exiled. Who were his people? Who were his parents? He doesn't read like a feral loner or a hermit, just a socially maladjusted nerd.

They never stopped talking about Dominic Deegan.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Real fuckin’ villainous purchasing that book with your own money. Snout gets his money from mommy like a true hero.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

oh no, who could have ever seen this coming

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I'm sorry, why does the villain buy the book again? He's a villain and has magic to put people to sleep with. He can just walk in, magick the creepy owner asleep, and take the book without paying.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mikl posted:

I'm sorry, why does the villain buy the book again? He's a villain and has magic to put people to sleep with. He can just walk in, magick the creepy owner asleep, and take the book without paying.

Well he's not an rear end in a top hat

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Mikl posted:

Well if you remember previously, he wasn't stealing the pages back from Snout, but reclaiming what he rightfully owned.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

super sweet best pal posted:

Watch, now that he has the money he won't be able to get the book because... ? Probably Ork coming back to interfere with the quest because... ?

I'm right but I'm still empty inside.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Okay so what was the point of the last like six strips then if they can just get more money the next day and go back to buy it? Why even have a plot obstacle that gets resolved instantly and with no real effort or time? Was it seriously just an excuse to get them both to go back to the hotel? Ugh.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Oh, so we just blast past being naked in bed together and have taken a step back to a week ago. What the gently caress is this? How did inkwich react to waking up with her dress off when she'd went to bed with it on? Wouldn't she assume Snout did some typically Deegan-esque things to her while she was asleep? Or does she just always sleep strip and this is normal behavior for her? If so, Mookie should've had this be textual so we can make fun of him for that.

But nah, who cares about that. We need to have the comic catch up to the conclusion the thread reached like a month ago.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Okay so what was the point of the last like six strips then if they can just get more money the next day and go back to buy it? Why even have a plot obstacle that gets resolved instantly and with no real effort or time?

I see you're new to Dominic Deegan?

Hostile V
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Okay so what was the point of the last like six strips then if they can just get more money the next day and go back to buy it? Why even have a plot obstacle that gets resolved instantly and with no real effort or time? Was it seriously just an excuse to get them both to go back to the hotel? Ugh.
It's so he could not get a boner and show us what true affection is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3Pr1_v7hsw

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Who What Now posted:

I see you're new to Dominic Deegan?

I keep thinking it can't get worse and then it gets worse.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Man, the whole "no dialogue" thing is really highlighting just how loving objectified female characters are in DD. None of her feelings or opinions matter at all because she isn't even allowed to express herself. She does whatever the main character wants her to and can't say anything in response. This is like some sort of bizarre control fantasy.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Holy poo poo! That crafty orc villain with his dastardly deeds. How dare he purchase that book legally!

...The most passive of antagonists, for a story with no stakes.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
We're going to find out he's not a villain at all, he's just a rare book collector the Ink Witches don't like because he stiffed them once on an ink reading by accident because he realized he was late to his daughter's soccer practice.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Bookstores never have multiple copies of a book.

Ever.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
It's supposed to be a quasi-medieval fantasy world.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Ague Proof posted:

Not with bookstores like that, it's not. Like, if I wanted I could explain the role of books in medieval society and the difficulties of being a bookseller at the time, the costs of creating books...

but this comic isn't worth that, so short form is that if a book store of the kind depicted exists, then book production is simple enough that there's literally no reason for it to have only one copy of a book it stocks normally

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

What the orc has done:

- Used a sleep spell on Snout (which did not hurt him, despite what the Ink Witch claimed)
- Took back the pages he already owned
- Bought a book, legally

What the Ink Witch has done:

- Destroyed Snout's house
- Led him around to do her bidding while lying about her identity
- Put Snout in increasingly dangerous situations where he almsot died multiple times, just to find the pages that ended up saying a single inconsequential sentence
- Did I mention destroyed his loving house

Conclusion: The orc is the good guy. The Ink Witch is the villain.

Ague Proof posted:

Pictured: a medieval fantasy world:

I think it's more "medieval fantasy world except when it's not because the plot Mookie has currently thought up requires it to work like the modern world"

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Apr 8, 2020

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Why even have a plot obstacle that gets resolved instantly and with no real effort or time?
The true Dominic Deegan experience is a cliffhanger on friday that is instantly resolved when the comic resumes on monday. There are never any real stakes or real tension in this series.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Man in a real fantasy adventure we'd be like on our third dragon wizard fight by now.

Instead? Book purchasing.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I think it's more "medieval fantasy world except when it's not because the plot Mookie has currently thought up requires it to work like the modern world"

This is what I meant.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Ague Proof posted:

It must be a fantasy world with a lot of books if this rare one of a kind one only costs 2 carnie game's worth of grift. Alternativly maybe the book sucks and is out of print, and maybe Snout should just have gone to city of glass eldariat (to die) library in the first place instead of wandering aimlessly until he ran into the plot.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Ague Proof posted:

Mors Rattus posted:

Not with bookstores like that, it's not. Like, if I wanted I could explain the role of books in medieval society and the difficulties of being a bookseller at the time, the costs of creating books...

but this comic isn't worth that, so short form is that if a book store of the kind depicted exists, then book production is simple enough that there's literally no reason for it to have only one copy of a book it stocks normally

Books specifically are mass-market consumer items in deeganland and not manuscripts painted by monks, as we know from the references to superhero comic books during the Snowsong arc.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

"You have drawn blood from me. What is your desire?"
"I want three wishes"
"..."

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I loving told you to steal that book Snout!

Now the perfectly reasonable old man has it, all because you had to follow capitalism's dictates on private property towards...

Hey wait a minute, wasn't the store a big mess last time they visited?

Edit: Yeah, I just checked, all the shelves just had books lying unsorted or were broken and the walls had posters, I think. The only consistent details are the cracks in the walls and the copy-pasted exterior.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Apr 8, 2020

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lmao

super sweet best pal posted:

I'm right but I'm still empty inside.

As soon as I saw he had it I remembered someone joking about this happening. Well played, your prize is sadness.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Synthbuttrange posted:

"You have drawn blood from me. What is your desire?"
"I want three wishes"
"..."

Did you mean to post this in a thread about a much better webcomic?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Invisible Clergy posted:

as we know from the references to superhero comic books during the Snowsong arc.

:catstare:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

Did you mean to post this in a thread about a much better webcomic?

actually, yes. :(

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

What? We do. They were called "action books" because Mookie is a dweeb. Greg drew doujins of himself as "Supergreg." In a different arc, Luna gives Dominic an issue of some superhero he likes, but the character had been rebooted as an edgy 90s antihero so it was a bad gift actually because women can't do anything right in deeganland due to their inferior lady brains.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Invisible Clergy posted:

What? We do. They were called "action books" because Mookie is a dweeb. Greg drew doujins of himself as "Supergreg." In a different arc, Luna gives Dominic an issue of some superhero he likes, but the character had been rebooted as an edgy 90s antihero so it was a bad gift actually because women can't do anything right in deeganland due to their inferior lady brains.

iirc she apologizes for it so profusely too as if she had written it herself

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

In point of fact she buys him like a collected omnibus of his favorite heman type "action book", and only on the last page is an ad for a rebooted series that's all gritty 90's. This causes Dominic sadness (the last page that is) and then Luna rants for 8 panels about how thoughtless she was not to read every goddamn page of the comic to make sure it didn't harm Dominic's fragile constitution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

The Little Death posted:

In point of fact she buys him like a collected omnibus of his favorite heman type "action book", and only on the last page is an ad for a rebooted series that's all gritty 90's. This causes Dominic sadness (the last page that is) and then Luna rants for 8 panels about how thoughtless she was not to read every goddamn page of the comic to make sure it didn't harm Dominic's fragile constitution.

Ok at this point it's so dumb that I would think you're bullshitting if I didn't vaguely remember it.