Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

trickybiscuits posted:

It must be exhausting, being these people.

It's exhausting just being around them. I'm lucky I'm not quarantined with any assholes. I'm a bit worried about my dad who is stuck in a hoarded, mostly unlivable, filthy house with my hoarder stepmom. She treats him (and everyone really) like poo poo, but he refuses to divorce her. That would be like admitting he made a mistake, so it's never going to happen. I don't feel that bad for him, as this is clearly what he wants out of life, but I'm still worried. Dad has COPD and lives in a rodent and bug-infested home that smells like human piss. He is being proactive about all the social distancing and handwashing stuff, despite these things being mandated by a Democrat governor, so that's something.

All this frothing conservative rage has to be some sort of dementia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Rockbear posted:

When my ES Deklynne was 5, we were at a family gathering, and my sister suggested that we let all the kids play with crayons while the adults socialized. Innocent enough, I thought.

A half hour later, ES runs up to me and hands me a picture that he's drawn. It's a crude drawing of two persons, one peach colored and the other blue.

"Look, mommy, I drew you and Sonic!"

The words were like a dagger in my heart. It had been in the news all week. Sega had declared bankruptcy. And now, my ES was associating me with their mascot.

The message was obvious. "Mother, I see you as a failure. You will never be successful. Everything you do will fall to pieces. Shenmue is overrated."

The other adults in the room pretended not to notice this mortifying insult, out of politeness, but they all grew awkward and quiet. My ES looked at me, feigning confusion as my hot tears hit the paper.

I'll never forget the sinister look in his eyes as he said, "What's wrong, mommy? Don't you like Sonic?"

When ES ignores my texts and calls, when he sends back my gifts, I think back to that day. I should have known then that his heart was wicked. I should have had the strength to stand up for myself against his abusive, gaslighting behavior.

I know better now. I understand my worth. It's hard but I get better every day.

Thanks for listening, everyone. This message board has been such a good support system. Anyway, it's lent, so I gotta go fast.

this was the greatest post.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

trickybiscuits posted:

I saw this areticle: Coronavirus Crisis: The Unexpected Gift to Narcissists: The pandemic forces a reset of self-aggrandizing demands for control.

quote:

In my Short email , yet once again tried to get her to understand why I always put my husband first and children second.

What the gently caress... If you're not constantly starting conversations, even polite arguments if necessary, with your SO to figure out the best way to raise your children, you are a goddamn rear end in a top hat.

Edit: I now realize you might also be unable to confront an abuser... still a goddamn rear end in a top hat if your kids are involved

Edit2: Oh, I get it: It's because you've trained your spouse to always agree with you,

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Apr 8, 2020

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

She's got a bunch of grandkids in the military, soooooo :smith:

Any of them in the Navy ? :v:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

mllaneza posted:

Any of them in the Navy ? :v:

Actually, no. I think the only one who's still active duty is a Marine doing some poo poo we're not allowed to know about. The rest were Air Guard and are all state side working in military health care, ironically.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

trickybiscuits posted:

It must be exhausting, being these people.

It's exhausting reading their posts. I maybe get through a tenth of the ones posted in this thread, but I'm pretty sure it's because most of them are uncannily written in the same voice like they're all just pulled down from a hivemind.

No drunk texting screeds from the old man in several weeks. Either I managed to plug the last hole in the dike, or he sobered up and realized making GBS threads on my mother was a bit of a tactical error.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
From reading the rejected parents forums it seems they think that their estranged children should contact them because of how dangerous the virus is to them (because of their advanced age., and their children are being super selfish by not doing so. And/or they are using the seriousness of the situation as an excuse to try to contact their estranged children.
So the virus has basically made them even more sure that they are right and their children are wrong.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

From reading the rejected parents forums it seems they think that their estranged children should contact them because of how dangerous the virus is to them (because of their advanced age., and their children are being super selfish by not doing so. And/or they are using the seriousness of the situation as an excuse to try to contact their estranged children.
So the virus has basically made them even more sure that they are right and their children are wrong.

Oh, absolutely. And they'll never admit that, if it weren't COVID-19, it would be something else. An earthquake, a hurricane, a tornado, a recession, etc...all the way down to "I heard there was a burglary in ED's neighborhood and it's bewildering that she wouldn't call to tell me she's okay"

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Yeah, if this virus wasn't a thing I wouldn't have been contacted. 3 years is just fine to ignore me and my health crisis because they weren't the center of attention anymore, but as soon as it's something that might affect them, family is sooooo important all of a sudden and matters so much! I'm just so tired of narcissists.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
I read/hear all of the posts from the narcissistic parents itt with the same smokey diner voice. :/

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

quote:

Little did I know when she was only 3 years old she came to me crying, saying ” you love daddy more than me” that this set the trend for the rest of her life...In my short email I explained this was true, and good.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Splash Attack posted:

and there's the fact that i'm not actually my dad's biological daughter (their marriage is older than i am) but he's never treated me as anything else but his own, so i didn't really question that i was mixed race while everyone else was completely chinese until i was much older.

Sorry but did they ever explain the circumstances of this to you? Or is it just an unstated thing?

I'm curious because I found out a while back through 23andme i have a half brother (lol) and im not actually my dads biological son, but I cant really bring it up because I think everyone would die. Can't imagine discussing it when you're already in your 30s

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

https://twitter.com/AITA_reddit/status/1248949419359248385

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

pram posted:

Sorry but did they ever explain the circumstances of this to you? Or is it just an unstated thing?

I'm curious because I found out a while back through 23andme i have a half brother (lol) and im not actually my dads biological son, but I cant really bring it up because I think everyone would die. Can't imagine discussing it when you're already in your 30s

I did the 23andme thing at one point and it created a little flashpoint around family mythology when I showed them the results (which I doubt are all that accurate, it's spotty but some pretty firm conclusions can be drawn.) Uh, yeah folks, we're all totally white. They had kind of latched onto the 1/8 Cherokee nonsense. I've heard this explained as a tacit way for certain people to justify their own racism because how could they be racist if they're Native Americans? Who knows. They were that kind of people.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

In the south, being part cherokee was understood as the way you justified it when your kids ended up looking a bit too dissimilar to their dad or if you were a little too "swarthy" to be white.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Tunicate posted:

In the south, being part cherokee was understood as the way you justified it when your kids ended up looking a bit too dissimilar to their dad or if you were a little too "swarthy" to be white.

That seems like it would be more a thing with 1/32 than 1/8 though. If you're 1/8 your grandparent was 1/2, and they should surely have clear memories of their pure blood cherokee parent, 2 pure blood cherokee grandparents, and various cherokee cousins.

I'm 1/8 Cree and I clearly remember my 1/2 Cree grandmother even though she died when I was 12. Her deadbeat dad was white, but she looked Cree, she sounded Cree, she spoke some Cree, and her family was Cree. There was no possibility that she might have been faking it and actually been 100% white. :psyduck:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Facebook Aunt posted:

That seems like it would be more a thing with 1/32 than 1/8 though. If you're 1/8 your grandparent was 1/2, and they should surely have clear memories of their pure blood cherokee parent, 2 pure blood cherokee grandparents, and various cherokee cousins.

I'm 1/8 Cree and I clearly remember my 1/2 Cree grandmother even though she died when I was 12. Her deadbeat dad was white, but she looked Cree, she sounded Cree, she spoke some Cree, and her family was Cree. There was no possibility that she might have been faking it and actually been 100% white. :psyduck:

You're right but racists are stupid as poo poo.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Who What Now posted:

You're right but racists are stupid as poo poo.

Also Southerners thought the Cherokee are super-cool because they are a proud civilization unjustly suppressed by the federal government, and Confederacy stans like to think the Confederacy was also a proud civilization unjustly suppressed by the federal government.

E: Changed the tense, Cherokee still exist and unintentionally suggesting they don't is bad for indigenous rights

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 12, 2020

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Pththya-lyi posted:

Also Southerners thought the Cherokee were super-cool because they were a proud civilization unjustly suppressed by the federal government, and Confederacy stans like to think the Confederacy was also a proud civilization unjustly suppressed by the federal government.

Yep, that's pretty much it. The family members that I severed from years ago used to maintain both narratives at the same time and I don't need a DNA test to know that we don't have a significant enough amount of Indigenous American (Cherokee) heritage to claim, despite what they claim, but also I don't really want to celebrate the Confederate or Klan heroes that they want to maintain are in our "proud" family line.

There's a reason I severed from a huge chunk of my family as soon as I was cognizant enough to realize that was the best course of action to take.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

The Breakfast Sampler posted:

I did the 23andme thing at one point and it created a little flashpoint around family mythology when I showed them the results (which I doubt are all that accurate, it's spotty but some pretty firm conclusions can be drawn.) Uh, yeah folks, we're all totally white. They had kind of latched onto the 1/8 Cherokee nonsense. I've heard this explained as a tacit way for certain people to justify their own racism because how could they be racist if they're Native Americans? Who knows. They were that kind of people.

lol. well mine was the opposite, my 23andme says im 20% native american but its probably some mexican crap so i dont get any cool cherokee lore to be racist with

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Lots of Southerners claim to be Indian, in order to hide being part Mexican, Mediterranean people, or (gasp) Black

I don't know if any of you ever saw that travel commercial for a Mexican airline where they dna tested some Southeners and offered them discount tickets to Mexico if they had some percentage Mexican dna. They were all convinced they had none (they almost all did, and the ones that didn't looked bummed about missing out on tickets)

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

ElGroucho posted:

Lots of Southerners claim to be Indian, in order to hide being part Mexican, Mediterranean people, or (gasp) Black

This is it pretty much.

I was always told growing up that I was "part cherokee", because one of my great grandparents was "Cherokee princess" which isn't a thing. Mixed race women sometimes claimed back in the day to be Cherokee Royalty (again, not a thing) because it would get them marginally better treatment than being openly half black half white or whatever. I read my supposedly Cherokee grandma's journal, and she straight up admitted that her Cherokee Princess claim was done for this exact reason. My family refuses to admit it though, because claiming Cherokee status makes it easier to pretend to have martyr status and then we get to be as racist as we want to anyone else and they can't say poo poo because we're Cherokee.

It's deeply hosed up.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
I felt the pressure of filial duty and told my low contact mother we would Skype with her every day during lockdown since she lives alone 2000 miles away in a lovely chud state and I loving regret it. Does the emotional torture of talking to her every day outweigh the guilt of her suiciding in her empty tomb of a house? I don't loving know!

She sent me an email recently detailing how much she's had to struggle financially (lol) and she hopes I "appreciate" the nice things I have. I appreciate being 2000 miles away, I'll tell you that much. Anyway, please berate me for being a dumbass for inviting this bullshit back into my life.

cnut
May 3, 2016

Strep Vote posted:

Anyway, please berate me for being a dumbass for inviting this bullshit back into my life.

Very well, I shall shake my fist at you.

:argh:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Strep Vote posted:

Anyway, please berate me for being a dumbass for inviting this bullshit back into my life.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Strep Vote posted:

I felt the pressure of filial duty and told my low contact mother we would Skype with her every day during lockdown since she lives alone 2000 miles away in a lovely chud state and I loving regret it. Does the emotional torture of talking to her every day outweigh the guilt of her suiciding in her empty tomb of a house? I don't loving know!

She sent me an email recently detailing how much she's had to struggle financially (lol) and she hopes I "appreciate" the nice things I have. I appreciate being 2000 miles away, I'll tell you that much. Anyway, please berate me for being a dumbass for inviting this bullshit back into my life.

no one should berate you for succumbing to the huge social and familial pressure to keep up contact with your abuser. you are exploited by a system of flawed social mores you had zero hand in creating and have spent your entire adult life unlearning.

You are trying to do the right thing, and that is commendable. please be gentler with yourself.

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

no one should berate you for succumbing to the huge social and familial pressure to keep up contact with your abuser. you are exploited by a system of flawed social mores you had zero hand in creating and have spent your entire adult life unlearning.

You are trying to do the right thing, and that is commendable. please be gentler with yourself.

Yes, but take care of yourself here too Strep, and if it gets to be too much, I think it's okay to get out of it however you need to (i.e. lie about internet not working or whatever if you need a break.) Honestly in kind of a similar boat because I hadn't talked to my mother in about 3 years until recently, I think this situation has made a lot of people crazy/ re-evaluate these things, me included. I haven't felt any particular catharsis or anything, it's probably not good for anyone in my case (there was a lot of really bad poo poo) but at least everyone's alive.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Strep Vote posted:

It's okay to set limits here. You have a lot more power in this situation than you think. When she says something stupid like that, it's okay to step back and say you don't appreciate it, and if she keeps doing that you're going to have to go, or just to hang up.

Think of this as an opportunity to start shaping her behavior.

ohnobugs fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 12, 2020

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Have you tried telling your mom to shut the gently caress up?

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

AuntBuck posted:

It's okay to set limits here. You have a lot more power in this situation than you think. When she says something stupid like that, it's okay to step back and say you don't appreciate it, and if she keeps doing that you're going to have to go, or just to hang up.

Think of this as an opportunity to start shaping her behavior.

This! 1000 times this...

I know not everyone gets to this point, or even wants to but as someone who had to teach a boomer parent about boundaries over the course of almost 20 years it can be done. Tell people what you’re going to do, do it, then tell them you did it. The only trick is to remain consistent on your side- for the boomer possesses if not intelligence, a certain rigid conviction of their lead soaked righteousness. They will test your emotional fences for weaknesses, systematically. They remember.

It took a lot of time and effort, and yes, more than a few hurt feelings on their part but with time and lots and lots of repetition my mother learned that certain topics (Like her disagreements with other people/family members/local businesses) I would simply not engage with, because I repeatedly told her. No matter how often she tried from various angles. Other topics (business dealings with family members that always ended up going to the same way, or lingering feelings about the divorce) would end the conversation entirely after repeating the same advice about boundaries over, and over....and over again.

It sucks to start, but if you keep a calm and consistent demeanor and just simply let your parent know you have no interest in having certain conversations, then act on it- also calmly and constantly, over time you’ll most likely see some improvement. There will of course be tests and backsliding on their part but it can be done as long as the parent actually wants a relationship with you. Think of it like setting up a mental “No shoes, no shirt, no emotional dumping. No service” sign.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
gently caress that dudes, my wife is constantly stressed because she knows she needs to call her abusive, mentally ill, manipulating mother once a day

My mom was a relative saint and I call her maybe once every 3 months, and sleep like a baby

She will never, ever block her calls, and I won't have a stress-free wife until that evil old bitch finally dies

Foam Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
Lurkzilla
Grimey Drawer
I found this on /r/regretfulparents and holy poo poo.

quote:

A Poem About Motherhood, On The Occasion Of My 55th Birthday

No phone call, no text, and certainly no Hallmark card
Marked my fifty-fifth today.
I do not know where my granddaughter is,
So she got no Easter treats from me.
And I am full of sorrow.
I sit alone all day stress-eating,
Wondering when I became a non-person.
I see other parents who stole their child's ID
and destroyed their credit before they turned 18.
I made our own laundry detergent to save money.

The skills I brought to motherhood are there,
To make a balanced meal for five different appetites.
Homemade peach jam spread thick on sourdough bread,
With enough leftover stew for work and school lunches.
I kept a clean house when I had that ability.
I could tell which daughter had strep before it spread
And I dealt with pinworms once.
I made birthday cakes and made them sing to each other
Three little people who'd rather be hitting each other
And a father who would rather sit at his computer.

I have a missing molar I can't afford to have repaired.
So many prescriptions. Rotten health. No motive to get better.

I was always the tractor. I pulled it all alone most times.
Even as teens they would resist family outings.
Attempts to make memories became regrets that marked the seasons.
They told me stupid lies for stupid reasons.
They left their clothes on the floor for the aging cats to pee upon.
Once I found every single dish, spoon, and cup in one daughter's room.
I thought about boxing them up and taking them to her school.
I was going to write her full name in GREAT BIG LETTERS.
I didn't. It was a cusp moment. I retreated from personhood--

I lost that whole big battle.
My therapist later told me it was good I hadn't shamed her.

But every day of her silence since her ship came in shames me.

Her sister wrote the most hateful email and changed her gender.
I do not know how those things relate. Is it femaleness he rejects?

Or is it all about me anyway? I never saw it coming,

and that makes me unneeded by my LGBTQ offspring.

The one thing I prayed, when I had faith to pray,
Was that my children would be there for each other one day.
I didn't pray for them to be jealous that their brother needed braces
and that we met that need, as nature handed it out, unequally.
I didn't pray to find out that I had a granddaughter
From a photo on Facebook.
If I had faith, I'd pray for that radiant look on my absent daughter's face
Never to change into the hard bitter lines of a parent estranged.
But I know what she is teaching by example.
She has thrown me and everyone else who loved her here away.

Today I am so lonely. There's a storebought angel-food cake
Sitting in the microwave, and I don't think I could swallow a bite.
Did I really ruin everything by trying to make everything okay?
How do I balance the accounts when I've been judged and found "toxic"
By the persons I tried to raise to be good and happy?

I know I had anxiety and it must have been a burden.

All the bad things I fear and then some more seem certain.

But I only worried for them. I never meant to hurt them.

They have a brother with autism. Two grandparents who loved them well.
How dare they ditch their brother? ditch my folks? ditch their dad?

What did they do with all the love I gave them?

I have never thrown love away. How did they learn this? Why?

I guess I understand not wanting me around.
Once I was funny, and fun, and I guess I sang too loudly.

Who needs big fat Aunt Bea in this Youtube world?

What's to keep one bustling around?

Who needs an ear like mine to listen?
Who is crying for this reason?
I've wiped off a thousand tears

from my precancerous cheeks today.
If anyone reads this, well, then:

Don't have any children.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

quote:

Attempts to make memories became regrets that marked the seasons.

Um. "You WILL come with me to the pick-your-own place and you WILL have fun."

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Foam Monkey posted:

I found this on /r/regretfulparents and holy poo poo.

Death Grips are taking their music in an odd direction.

E: imagine that poem delivered like Takyon

https://youtu.be/89F5fpvwPr0

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Apr 13, 2020

Foam Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
Lurkzilla
Grimey Drawer

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Oh God that triggered flashbacks I forgot I even had. Apple orchards, all the time. And of course I needed to climb the trees to get the best apples for mom.

Never mind the fact that I’m still paralyzed by heights.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Holy moly the weird semi-rhyme scheme.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Rejected Parents: my precancerous cheeks

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Haha man that is almost too much.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Why do these people always have the same voice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Their profile is insane. Apparently all her kids joined the military and ghosted her, and she has attempted to contact their COs to get in touch with them and has hired a PI at one point to find out info about her grand daughter.