Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I think my favourite joke to come out of Melr0210 is the landlord(?) having five different jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

dorium posted:

I had this happen a month ago. I had to delete the feed from my podcast app and paste it back in using the patreon feed url. must've been some glitch or something, but this was the only thing that fixed it.
Yeah, I wasn't getting the Gumby episode either so I did this and it fixed it!

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

That worked a treat thanks!

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

April episodes all look great

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

ohrwurm posted:

April episodes all look great

Got a list?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

clown shoes posted:

Got a list?
Unlock the Vault Release — Man of Steel
Episode 478 — John Carpenter's Vampires
Episode 479 — Raw Deal
Episode 480 — Cool as Ice

MELR0210:

90210: "The Green Room" "Every Dream Has It's Price (Tag)" "The First Time" "One on One"
Melrose Place: "Friends and Lovers" "Lost and Found" "For Love or Money" "Leap of Faith" "Second Chances"

Patreon Exclusive We Love Movies — The Thing (1982)

Animation Damnation — The New Adventures of Gumby: "A Music Ball" & "The Elephant and the Dragon"

The Nexus: TOS: "Metamorphosis" (s2, e9) TNG: "Time Squared" (s2, e13)

Gleep Glossary: Qui-Gon Jinn

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

That's gonna be a fantastic WLM.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I almost called in Vampires for Listener Request Month, so I'm excited for that one.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Unlock the Vault Release — Man of Steel
Episode 478 — John Carpenter's Vampires
Episode 479 — Raw Deal
Episode 480 — Cool as Ice

MELR0210:

90210: "The Green Room" "Every Dream Has It's Price (Tag)" "The First Time" "One on One"
Melrose Place: "Friends and Lovers" "Lost and Found" "For Love or Money" "Leap of Faith" "Second Chances"

Patreon Exclusive We Love Movies — The Thing (1982)

Animation Damnation — The New Adventures of Gumby: "A Music Ball" & "The Elephant and the Dragon"

The Nexus: TOS: "Metamorphosis" (s2, e9) TNG: "Time Squared" (s2, e13)

Gleep Glossary: Qui-Gon Jinn

This marks the second time I confuse Man of Steel for Superman Returns. My brain just can't process the first existing apparently

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I've been encouraging myself to watch more films in prep of WHM but Cool As Ice might be too obnoxious for me.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

DoubleCakes posted:

I've been encouraging myself to watch more films in prep of WHM but Cool As Ice might be too obnoxious for me.

I actually can't recommend Cool As Ice as a pre-watch wholeheartedly enough; it's exactly the movie you think and fear it is, and it's that movie for every moment from credits to credits. It's powerful and dense and glorious and horrible for your wellbeing, like banana bread soaked in bourbon.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

This is when I finally confess I've never seen The Thing. Horror has never been my genre, especially body horror. It just really freaks me out in a not fun way. And every clip/gif I've seen from that movie has REALLY turned me off from even considering watching it.

*braces for impact*

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

One of my favorite things about Cool as Ice is that it doesn't have any of the songs Vanilla Ice was actually known for.

Another is the concept of "having a 'roni".

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

That We Love Movies was my listener request so it sorta feels like I finally got picked after 6 years of failure. :unsmith:

Also hot take: Cool As Ice isn’t THAT bad. Take Ice out and have a real actor and it’s just a bog standard totally forgettable James Dean remake mashup.

weekly font fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Apr 6, 2020

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

thrawn527 posted:

This is when I finally confess I've never seen The Thing. Horror has never been my genre, especially body horror. It just really freaks me out in a not fun way. And every clip/gif I've seen from that movie has REALLY turned me off from even considering watching it.

*braces for impact*

Same. I just don't do horror. I was actually disappointed by this month because there's nothing interesting to me but considering we've had a solid run of several months of movies I like (on the WLM Patreon) I accept not everything will be for me.

I should probably get as high as possible and watch Cool as Ice for the first time ever though.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

There was a really good music video someone made a few years back using Cool as Ice, and that is my entire exposure to the film. I think there's a bit where the upper class girl is riding a horse and Vanilla Ice rides alongside her on a motorbike.

EDIT:

The video in question

Red Bones fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 6, 2020

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

weekly font posted:

Also hot take: Cool As Ice isn’t THAT bad. Take Ice out and have a real actor and it’s just a bog standard totally forgettable James Dean remake mashup.

You'd also have to remove everything influenced by the spirit of Ice, so that means rewriting a considerable amount of dialogue and changing swaths of the wardrobe and general aesthetic. But yeah, the machine itself isn't that remarkable, it's the operator that makes it still noteworthy decades later.

It was also famously DP'd by Spielberg's go-to cinematographer, so it even has the look and feel of a real movie!

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’m a late comer to The Thing as I only saw it a few years ago but it holds up incredibly well and is rad as gently caress.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

DoombatINC posted:

You'd also have to remove everything influenced by the spirit of Ice, so that means rewriting a considerable amount of dialogue and changing swaths of the wardrobe and general aesthetic. But yeah, the machine itself isn't that remarkable, it's the operator that makes it still noteworthy decades later.

It was also famously DP'd by Spielberg's go-to cinematographer, so it even has the look and feel of a real movie!

Absolutely do not rewrite "ditch that zero and get with a hero." :colbert:

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Red Bones posted:

There was a really good music video someone made a few years back using Cool as Ice, and that is my entire exposure to the film. I think there's a bit where the upper class girl is riding a horse and Vanilla Ice rides alongside her on a motorbike.

EDIT:

The video in question

John Maus is loving amazing as well.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

DoombatINC posted:

It’s definitely a better-looking movie than it has any reason to be but this feels like recommending “The Cat in the Hat” to Emmanuel Lubezki fans.

weekly font posted:

Absolutely do not rewrite "ditch that zero and get with a hero." :colbert:

Keep “Yo b kool stay n skool!” In the end credits too.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

weekly font posted:

Also hot take: Cool As Ice isn’t THAT bad.

It's REAL bad.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Invalid Validation posted:

I’m a late comer to The Thing as I only saw it a few years ago but it holds up incredibly well and is rad as gently caress.

It really is. I don't like horror movies generally but it's just really goddamn good. And some of the practical effects are still legitimately :tviv:

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I am not a horror person either and I think The Thing is a masterpiece. I don't even find the movie to be all that scary but the tension and the atmosphere make it work.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Can the next WHM spinoff be a BTVS series? Real deal, never seen the show, adamantly dislike Joss Whedon - but I’ve always been curious about the show. I’d watch it if the guys watch it, otherwise it won’t hold my attention.

AceOfFlames posted:

I am not a horror person either and I think The Thing is a masterpiece. I don't even find the movie to be all that scary but the tension and the atmosphere make it work.

I watched The Thing the first or second time I did edibles, and Jesus mercy, it’s truly tense. Like I had anxiety pains watching it, but it was like a rollercoaster, fun but fun because of challenging that fear. Watch The Thing.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
Episode 4 of MELR0210: Steve knows Dr. Ruth is alive because he happened to look it up earlier that day.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
Yeah, The Thing is the only horror movie I've ever seen where I actually felt a little shaken and anxious for a while after watching the movie. Granted I was fourteen or so when I saw it, but even as a kid no other horror movie quite had that effect for me.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I wish I could watch The Thing again for the first time.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

teen witch posted:

Can the next WHM spinoff be a BTVS series? Real deal, never seen the show, adamantly dislike Joss Whedon - but I’ve always been curious about the show. I’d watch it if the guys watch it, otherwise it won’t hold my attention.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer is bad and would be the first thing they did that I’d flat out skip.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

GrandpaPants posted:

I wish I could watch The Thing again for the first time.

yea that would be nice. I just watched it last week. still love it as much as the first time.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

enigmahfc posted:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer is bad and would be the first thing they did that I’d flat out skip.

What's Whedon's peak if not Buffy? Firefly? That show was axed before he could get into his planned mega-creepy reaper gang rape/vagina poison subplot, which probably helps it A LOT. By the Serenity movie he was already markedly worse at everything than he was on the TV show that spawned it.

(It's OK to just hate all his stuff BTW)

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Realtalk: probably the best Whedon thing is the plot that existed in like... two? three? episodes of Dollhouse tops, where it was actually a massive flash-forward to go "Oh, tech that literally turns every communication device into a brainwashing/mind-wiping tool would ruin society forever" and different, better actors played the cast in new shells trying to shut down everything in the ruins.

Because it was miles less horny than everything else and I feel like he had as little to do with it as possible but his name's still there as "story by".

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I think Angel was good

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

sean10mm posted:

What's Whedon's peak if not Buffy? Firefly? That show was axed before he could get into his planned mega-creepy reaper gang rape/vagina poison subplot, which probably helps it A LOT. By the Serenity movie he was already markedly worse at everything than he was on the TV show that spawned it.

When he told us what happens to a toad when it's struck by lightning.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Alright fine, I'll watch The Thing. Like, right now.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

sean10mm posted:

Literally the only thing of his I like is the first Avengers movie and that is less about him being involved then me just liking the comics.

Firefly is overrated AS gently caress

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

sean10mm posted:

It also ended before a Chinese character showed up, but NOT before a main character was threatened with rape.

I do not understand the adoration for Firefly.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

drat, it's weird seeing Wilford Brimley without a mustache.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Oh poo poo, Keith David is in this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon