Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

flatluigi posted:

i've always really wondered the demographics of people who go and rate stuff on imdb. is it like, integrated into something people use to watch tv on or do they really have roving gangs of dedicated raters that judge every tv episode they ever watch

That does also raise the interesting question about nostalgia given that those early seasons would have to have been rated retroactively rather than reflecting how people felt about them when they originally aired. They get the added benefit of hindsight in how well an episode has aged vs. people making a snap judgement based on their immediate reaction. I was curious and looked up those two "bad" rated episodes from the first 10 seasons and they were both clip shows, which makes total sense from a nostalgia perspective because like, that's just useless filler to someone who can just watch any episode they want any time they want thanks to DVD releases and streaming.

Memento posted:

I assume that 3.9 is the Lady Gaga episode?

Yeah, I looked that one up as well when I was checking the other two since I was pretty certain it was gonna be that one. I haven't even seen that episode (I haven't watched The Simpsons in years) but it's infamous enough that it was pretty easy to guess what the lowest rated episode in the whole series was gonna be.

The Cheshire Cat has a new favorite as of 00:55 on Apr 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The 4.6 from last season was an episode in which Bart goes full incel “girls ruining itchy and scratchy”.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Memento posted:

I assume that 3.9 is the Lady Gaga episode?

Yup, season 23 episode 22, "Lisa Goes Gaga". The other rating in that colour is s30e18, "Bart vs. Itchy & Scratchy". I do not know what exactly made that so hated but the synopsis on wikipedia contains the word "feminism" so i simply refuse to attempt to read the internet discourse about it

E: beaten harder than the dead horse of The Simpsons

E2: to be fair the clip shows were pretty disliked when they aired, so it might not 100% be about nostalgia streaming

Angepain has a new favorite as of 01:17 on Apr 8, 2020

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
I once walked through little Italy in Manhattan and counted at least four different restaurants advertising “the best cannoli in the world”

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

TinTower posted:

The 4.6 from last season was an episode in which Bart goes full incel “girls ruining itchy and scratchy”.

I really wish you had just come over to my house and shot me in the head rather than impart this knowledge

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Honj Steak posted:

I once walked through little Italy in Manhattan and counted at least four different restaurants advertising “the best cannoli in the world”

I had clam chowder from a convenience store that advertised itself as best in the world. It wasn't.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Raldikuk posted:

clam chowder from a convenience store

I think I found your problem

I found a link to the actual visualisation of the Simpsons rating, it's pretty cool, you can just click on them to see which episode they are

https://public.tableau.com/profile/hannes.benne#!/vizhome/SimpsonsEpisodeRating/EpisodeRating

It's good to see that You Only Move Twice is up there nearly as high as it goes, as it should be (S08E02)

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

There's a bunch of weird poo poo with the underlying IMBD reviews though. Like Blowfish is the best rated ep in Season 2? Season 1 was good? Narrator: it wasn't

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
https://twitter.com/ellis2013nz/status/1247092182109937665

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
There are a surprising amount of weird functions and graph styles. I especially appreciate matplotlib.pyplot.xkcd()

By the way, I found a screenshot I made a few years ago. It's the interface of a large commercial PBX and it has a graphing function. Someone got it into their head that what graphs needed were 3D. And animation (?).

I have no idea how to read this.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

The Cheshire Cat posted:

That does also raise the interesting question about nostalgia given that those early seasons would have to have been rated retroactively rather than reflecting how people felt about them when they originally aired. They get the added benefit of hindsight in how well an episode has aged vs. people making a snap judgement based on their immediate reaction. I was curious and looked up those two "bad" rated episodes from the first 10 seasons and they were both clip shows, which makes total sense from a nostalgia perspective because like, that's just useless filler to someone who can just watch any episode they want any time they want thanks to DVD releases and streaming.

To be fair. Every time someone goes in blind and watches the Simpsons for the first time the general consensus still is that the show starts to take a big dive in season 9.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
IMDB's been around for... exactly 30 years (fuuuuk) and although the ratings probably don't go that far back, there are plenty of shows or movies that got reviewed originally 20+ years back too, so it would be quite interesting to compare the original scoring with current. I've actually duf hrough their dataset (you can download some databases dumps) but the scores they expose are already aggregated.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Why would anyone include clip show episodes to reruns? Does syndication actually demand this?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Der Kyhe posted:

Why would anyone include clip show episodes to reruns? Does syndication actually demand this?

Simpsons clip shows had enough original material in them as well that they're worth watching.

In actual answer to your question, probably they do demand if you're syndicating a show you play them all and in order.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

I was curious what s9e11 was based on its placement and i didn't know people hated musicals that much

anyway

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

New York State projections

Folks, I am beginning to think this model is awful.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Zvahl posted:

I was curious what s9e11 was based on its placement and i didn't know people hated musicals that much

anyway

That took me a minute...

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Zvahl posted:

s9e11 was an inside job.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Powered Descent posted:

s9e11 was an inside job.

:hmmyes:

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
Hollow Earth theory is starting to get pretty cool

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I live on the far northern island of gonorrhea.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Where the gently caress is Atlantis?

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Capt.Whorebags posted:

Who decides that a particular city’s morgue is “best in the world”?

Tripadvisor, I guess?

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

ultrafilter posted:

Where the gently caress is Atlantis?

Under the sea
Where are you now
Another dream
The monsters running wild inside of me

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I am the YAH that orbits another YAH.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
i'm the justified ancients of mu and or moo

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

90s Cringe Rock posted:

i'm the justified ancients of mu and or moo

as you should be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPjggN-KByI

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Platystemon posted:

That's quite the shaded range of uncertainty.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nice that New York will apparently leave the peak in just one week, when in both Italy and Spain it lasted two+.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

IMDB's been around for... exactly 30 years (fuuuuk) and although the ratings probably don't go that far back, there are plenty of shows or movies that got reviewed originally 20+ years back too, so it would be quite interesting to compare the original scoring with current. I've actually duf hrough their dataset (you can download some databases dumps) but the scores they expose are already aggregated.

You can search some of the site through http://www.archive.org

Back in the 1990s things like Star Trek: First Contact (1996) and Star Trek: Insurrection (1998) were ranked within the top ten films of all-time.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I'd never heard the phrase "alligator tears" over "crocodile tears" and when I heard it in You should be sad by Halsey, I googled it to see yeah, some people use it. Then, since I was curious, I looked to see if anyone else did something similar:

At risk of drawing a causative relationship where there isn't one, the song did come out on January 10th (and then the album was released the 17th).

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Carbon dioxide posted:

I live on the far northern island of gonorrhea.

Fitting that it has a couple of Hos circling it

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Elysiume posted:

I'd never heard the phrase "alligator tears" over "crocodile tears" and when I heard it in You should be sad by Halsey, I googled it to see yeah, some people use it. Then, since I was curious, I looked to see if anyone else did something similar:

At risk of drawing a causative relationship where there isn't one, the song did come out on January 10th (and then the album was released the 17th).

stealing this for the words & phrases thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3914631

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Platystemon posted:

This reminds me of that graph about processor sales (iirc) where after dismal actual sales, the projections are all up uP UP for no reason whatsoever.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

I'm not sure if it is better or worse that they don't try to extrapolate Intel's future performance

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

jjack229 posted:

I'm not sure if it is better or worse that they don't try to extrapolate Intel's future performance

Based on the curve they have it'll level off in 2020 and actually start to decrease after that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Isn't there an Australian economy version of that optimism too?