Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Anyone with a OnePlus 7 Pro might want to try setting the display to always stay at 1080p instead of switching automatically between 1080p and 1440p, doing so removed some stutters for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
There's this minor bug with the Pixel launcher (maybe others too) and PWA's. If they use the new maskable kind of icon, it looks good on the home screen, but the multitask view looks terrible, it's scaled down (instead of masked), with it's theme color as a background color.

How do I go about reporting that bug and/or seeing if it is already reported?

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
This has surely been asked before, but I couldn't find it in this thread: what is the basic recommendation for a pixel 3a case?

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
Does anyone here have any experience with USB OTG devices? I'm trying to plug an external USB camera into a Galaxy Tab A (model SM-T290, Android version 9), using an adapter and camera which I had successfully used with a Galaxy S4. The tablet claims to support OTG, and works properly with USB drives plugged into the same adapter. I've tried a number of USB camera apps, and all of them say that the camera can't be detected. Any idea how I might fix this? Did Samsung gently caress with OTG camera support?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

No mention that the April update brings the "require eyes to be open" feature to the Pixel 4?

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

bull3964 posted:

No mention that the April update brings the "require eyes to be open" feature to the Pixel 4?

Just updated mine and the option is there now. Not on by default though.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I have a OnePlus 3T and the battery is starting to discharge rapidly, which isn't too surprising since the phone is over 4 years old and has heavy use.

What would a good replacement be? I like having the OLED screen - what are some good options for a cheaper phone with OLED? OnePlus 7T or maybe the OP8?

Same boat, but just regular OnePlus 3. Charging like two or three times a day at the moment.

Hoping the OnePlus 8 price isn't outrageous 🤞

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

OnePlus 8 Pro is confirmed to have 30w wireless charging, though that rate is proprietary and you need their own charger. It will support 5w and 10w Qi charging though.

https://www.droid-life.com/2020/04/07/oneplus-8-pro-wireless-charging-30w/

The main camera is using a 48mp Sony IMX689 sensor which is new. The same sensor has shown up in the Find X2 Pro which has been posting pretty decent photo samples so far, so fingers crossed.

Even after the update, the focusing on the Ultra is so bad. I actually had trouble setting up Google Messages for Web because it couldn't focus on the QR code.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'm a bit out of the loop on wireless charging speeds, is a 30w pad like this comparable in charging time to a 30w wired charger? A full charge would only take a few hours?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Incessant Excess posted:

I'm a bit out of the loop on wireless charging speeds, is a 30w pad like this comparable in charging time to a 30w wired charger? A full charge would only take a few hours?

Depends on efficiency of both the wired 30w charger and this wireless one. Wireless is going to be less effecient by nature, but since what they are doing is proprietary, we really don't know where is the charging path they are measuring 20v 1.5a, if the charger itself is outputting more to compensate for wireless efficiency loss.

OnePlus has maintained over and over again that it wouldn't add wireless charging until it could match its wired speeds, so it's somewhat safe to assume they should be comparable, but we won't know for sure until someone does a comparison.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I looked it up and the OP7 Pro's warp charge is 30w, if this new phone is anywhere near that then wireless charging has come a long way since I last played with it, holy smokes.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Keep in mind that this is proprietary charging. Qi charging only has up to 15w in their current standard, anything beyond that is proprietary.

I mean, it's neat that they have 30w charging but I wouldn't go out of my way to buy a special charger just for that. 10w is just fine for the use case I use wireless charging for (overnight or at my desk during the day). If I need to superfast charge a device that's drained, then I'm fine plugging it in. 30w isn't really going to make much of a difference if you are putting the device on the charger when it has more than 60% left in it.

But whatever, if it was the hurdle they had to clear for themselves before they offered it at all, so be it.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I have a OnePlus 3T and the battery is starting to discharge rapidly, which isn't too surprising since the phone is over 4 years old and has heavy use.

What would a good replacement be? I like having the OLED screen - what are some good options for a cheaper phone with OLED? OnePlus 7T or maybe the OP8?

I replaced my OP3's battery. Sent the phone to an official OnePlus service center. They also replaced the broken af camera for free outside the warranty. It was 45€ total I think for a new battery, shipping and camera module? Anyways cheaper than most phones.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
The Xiaomi Mi A3, part of the Android One program, is now getting the update to Android 10 for the third time:

https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_a3_starts_receiving_stable_android_10_for_the_third_time-news-42513.php

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

bull3964 posted:

I suspect its probably because everyone realised it wasn't the massive deal the various android sites were making out to be at the time and there hasn't been swathes of pixel owners getting their phones unlocked in their sleep

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Still not having any focus issues with my Ultra. Although can't say the camera is coming in very handy these days.

Loving the big screen for videos though. Overall very happy with it.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Obviously isn't apples to apples comparison, but I just realized a current base model iPhone 11, Apple Watch, and iPad together cost about what the S20 Ultra does, and it blew my mind a little, hah.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
OnePlus 8 Pro european starting prices have leaked and they're about 150 Euro above those of the 7T Pro:

OnePlus 8 8/128GB: ca. 719/729 Euro

OnePlus 8 12/256GB: ca. 819/829 Euro

OnePlus 8 Pro 8/128GB: ca. 919/929 Euro

OnePlus 8 Pro 12/256GB: ca. 1009/1019 Euro

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

sourdough posted:

Obviously isn't apples to apples comparison, but I just realized a current base model iPhone 11, Apple Watch, and iPad together cost about what the S20 Ultra does, and it blew my mind a little, hah.

While true, I doubt anyone is paying anywhere near full price for an Ultra.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/04/moto-razr-review-rip-to-our-moto-razr-march-30-2020-march-31-2020/

Ron Amadeo killed his Razr in a day.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Apr 8, 2020

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I was interested in the 8 Pro, but holy poo poo is it huge.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Incessant Excess posted:

OnePlus 8 Pro european starting prices have leaked and they're about 150 Euro above those of the 7T Pro:

OnePlus 8 8/128GB: ca. 719/729 Euro

OnePlus 8 12/256GB: ca. 819/829 Euro

OnePlus 8 Pro 8/128GB: ca. 919/929 Euro

OnePlus 8 Pro 12/256GB: ca. 1009/1019 Euro

That's disappointing.

I wonder if the regular OP8 will see a similar jump.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

OhFunny posted:

That's disappointing.

I wonder if the regular OP8 will see a similar jump.

I don't understand what you mean, the OP8 price is part of the post you quoted, it starts at 719 Euro.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Incessant Excess posted:

I don't understand what you mean, the OP8 price is part of the post you quoted, it starts at 719 Euro.

Derp. My brain short circuited there.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
OP8 specs look good but that's just too expensive. They're pricing themselves out of their niche. Time for a new value brand to step in?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
The OP8 Pro launch price in Europe will be slightly higher than the Pixel 4 XL's was, at that price point it becomes a much harder decision for me personally than it was picking the OP7 Pro, tho one has to assume that Pixel price will similarly continue to creep up.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

5g tax right there, that's basically all there is to it.

Qualcomm is basically loving "budget" flagship range right now since it's impossible to do flagship specs without 5g.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Pixel 4a or bust I guess

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

5G seems to be pushing a move to even bigger/thicker/heavier phones too so they can offset the power hungry modem with more battery, it's 4G all over again

Did anyone post Nokia's first 5G phone yet because lmao https://www.phonearena.com/phones/size/Nokia-8.3-5G,Google-Pixel-4-XL,Google-Pixel-4/phones/11382,11202,11191

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Reminder that OnePlus has raised prices every year in a planned effort to enter the premium market.
The "budget" descriptor was bound to disappear eventually.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Mister Facetious posted:

Reminder that OnePlus has raised prices every year in a planned effort to enter the premium market.
The "budget" descriptor was bound to disappear eventually.

The same is true for regular flagships, so Oneplus phones remain compelling to an extent in my opinion. It'll be interesting to see where the Pixel prices fall this year, I don't think we're far away from the base Pixel XL being a thousand dollars or more.

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole
So my S10+ has been god awful in terms of notifications lately. I'm getting notifications 12 hours late and then it repeats those notifications several times. Now even the play store won't update any apps. All the apps just get stuck at 99% and stay there forever no matter what I do. I've tried clearing the cache and data, and restarting my phone but nothing works. Is it time for a factory reset?
I'm not rooted and have all the updates up to March.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Incessant Excess posted:

The same is true for regular flagships, so Oneplus phones remain compelling to an extent in my opinion. It'll be interesting to see where the Pixel prices fall this year, I don't think we're far away from the base Pixel XL being a thousand dollars or more.

In Canada it already is... :sigh:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Incessant Excess posted:

Except we already know the Pixel 5 doesn't use the top Qualcomm chipset and will likely cost less than the Pixel 4/XL,.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

LastInLine posted:

Except we already know the Pixel 5 doesn't use the top Qualcomm chipset and will likely cost less than the Pixel 4/XL,.

I don't mean to open a can of worms here but is it still a flagship then?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I really wish I could get my hands on the Mi 10 pro. I'm lost as to where to turn next after this Huawei

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Incessant Excess posted:

Sure, because performance will be good despite the chip used and a single component doesn't make or break something being a flagship. Is an S20 Ultra not a flagship because the camera has issues with focusing and smooths the poo poo out of faces?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

repiv posted:

5G seems to be pushing a move to even bigger/thicker/heavier phones too so they can offset the power hungry modem with more battery, it's 4G all over again

Did anyone post Nokia's first 5G phone yet because lmao https://www.phonearena.com/phones/size/Nokia-8.3-5G,Google-Pixel-4-XL,Google-Pixel-4/phones/11382,11202,11191

That's a bummer. 5G probably won't even roll out where I am for another few years.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Incessant Excess posted:

sourdough posted:

Sure, because performance will be good despite the chip used and a single component doesn't make or break something being a flagship. Is an S20 Ultra not a flagship because the camera has issues with focusing and smooths the poo poo out of faces?

This, but a "flagship" is simply the model which epitomizes the brand's values, not the one that costs the most. The Mini Cooper is the flagship for the brand, not the Countryman.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

New Galaxy series coming to the US, comparable to the Pixel A line I think?

https://news.samsung.com/us/galaxy-a-series-a11-a21-a51-a71-galaxy-for-everyone/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Mediatek has been cheating on benchmarks by putting code in the SoC firmware that recognizes a benchmark app being run and cranks performance up to levels you wouldn't get during normal usage:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15703/mobile-benchmark-cheating-mediatek