Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
For a real time, watching Godzilla then the Raymond Burr american version. It’s really a change.

The whole Godzilla Spine is really fun, several years ago we watched all of them when it was a pain to wrangle them up. Nice to have everything together & I could justify it because it was for my gf’s b-day, she’s more of a fanatic than I.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ham_sanitizer
Jul 12, 2014

professional swine bather
yeah i recently watched the original and was shocked at how good it was.

i had only ever heard people make fun of the special effects but honestly i felt they held up pretty well considering the age.

haven’t watched the rest of the series but i will eventually.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Godzilla owns, I legitimately love 90% of that series. Tsuburaya and his team put so much work and effort into those early models and suits.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

ham_sanitizer posted:

i had only ever heard people make fun of the special effects but honestly i felt they held up pretty well considering the age.

When people talk about how bad the special effects they're generally talking about the later series, when they were just making GBS threads them out with little care or choreography.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The special effects in 54, 64, and 74 whip rear end

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

ham_sanitizer posted:

There's a book on Eiji Tsubaraya that's awesome.

Also as much as I love the 54 Godzilla's miniatures, I think the first Gamera miiiiiight edge it out. There's some incredible effects work in it. Godzilla is miles ahead in every other facet, though.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Chakan posted:

For a real time, watching Godzilla then the Raymond Burr american version. It’s really a change.

The whole Godzilla Spine is really fun, several years ago we watched all of them when it was a pain to wrangle them up. Nice to have everything together & I could justify it because it was for my gf’s b-day, she’s more of a fanatic than I.

I really like the commentary track on the US Godzilla. It does a good job of contextualizing it, and made me appreciate what they were doing and how they were going about it.

It's also ironic, since that film features the least amount of dubbing.

I really liked Mothra vs. Godzilla, and the Japanese version of King Kong vs. Godzilla was also a real treat. It's a shame Criterion couldn't get the more recent restoration, but it's great to be able to see how it turn the film into something better. There's a few scenes that the US version just renders completely nonsensical.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
GET YOUR EYES TO MARS

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

ham_sanitizer posted:

The main thing about the effects is very few people were doing what Toho were, with their resources. Few people were doing movies with *so much* miniature work and these big elaborate cities and model tanks and so on. Ray Harryhausen mostly did composites with live action (via Dynamation), the 60s Bond movies tried to do as much as they could full scale, etc.

Even post-Tsubaraya, when the budgets were getting low, it's mostly a case of them re-using footage- what new footage they do manage generally looks good. (The dam sequence in Godzilla vs. Megalon is really well done, it's just, that was probably over half the budget.)

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Is streaming on the Criterion Channel really bad or have I just picked an unfortunate time to use my free trial? I have zero problems streaming 1080p from YT/Netflix/Amazon or whatever, but CC is constantly buffering for me.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Lester Shy posted:

Is streaming on the Criterion Channel really bad or have I just picked an unfortunate time to use my free trial? I have zero problems streaming 1080p from YT/Netflix/Amazon or whatever, but CC is constantly buffering for me.

I never have issues with it, myself. RokuTV with Xfinity.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Lester Shy posted:

I had the same issue. So did my friend. But, other people in this thread seem to have no issue at all.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

It was a shitshow the first month after release, with errors that made movies basically unwatchable on a lot of platforms, but I haven’t had any issues since. I regularly watch things using a roku tv and on an iPhone

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I can't believe they haven't updated their interface since launch. No ability to search/browse by genre is crazy.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Origami Dali posted:

I can't believe they haven't updated their interface since launch. No ability to search/browse by genre is crazy.

Ummm.... You can though?

They literally implemented two weeks after launch.

I don't remember if you can do it on the Roku app, but I generally just search for what I know I wanna watch, or draw from my list.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Haha that feature’s news to me.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Haha that feature’s news to me.

When they were asking feedback at launch, I said that a browsing feature like FilmStrucks would be great.

They responded to my e-mail saying they'd implement it and a week later they sent me another one to try it out.

Their customer service rules, and they actually listen to (polite) feedback.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Yeah, that's definitely not available in the app. Neither is the 'all films' option. And all search results max out at 50.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Charter Criterion Channel members should get a $10 gift certificate in their email today. If anyone feels that this is a burden, I'd be happy to relieve you of it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cloks posted:

Charter Criterion Channel members should get a $10 gift certificate in their email today. If anyone feels that this is a burden, I'd be happy to relieve you of it.

Spent mine on The Before Trilogy. :dance:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Franchescanado posted:

Spent mine on The Before Trilogy. :dance:

Great choice.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I don't collect physical media really so i might use mine to buy one of those House t shirts

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I'm pretty sure those codes don't work in the gift shop.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Origami Dali posted:

I'm pretty sure those codes don't work in the gift shop.

They do in fact

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

The email even specifically mentions this.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Seemed like a good time to get beyond the valley of the dolls since it never seems to be on cc. Almost got that varda tote since I love the bergman one I have, and will turn it into a backpiece on a jacket when it eventually breaks

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

DeimosRising posted:

They do in fact

The Cameo posted:

The email even specifically mentions this.

Well poo poo. I tried to buy a poster once upon a time with a gift code and no dice. Finally got the Janus shirt I've been eyeballing for 12 years.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/criterionchannl/status/1247980156687396870?s=20

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I am hype for more Noir

https://twitter.com/criterionchannl/status/1247922135139483650

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Happy birthday, Criterion Channel!

Ingmar terdman posted:

Seemed like a good time to get beyond the valley of the dolls since it never seems to be on cc. Almost got that varda tote since I love the bergman one I have, and will turn it into a backpiece on a jacket when it eventually breaks

Just FYI, the only major studios working with Criterion Channel are Sony, Warner, Paramount, and MGM. They also have been licensing stuff from Miramax (which was just bought by Paramount), StudioCanal, and Film 4. And the other boutiques they've been working with include Shout! Factory, Kino Lorber, Milestone, Flicker Alley, Cohen, and Arbelos.

Disney will likely make Disney+ an exclusive outlet for Fox's library, though, maybe they'll loan out the pre-80s non-family films. I can't see Disney+ ever having Zardoz or Phantom of the Paradise. Universal has Peacock (this would also include the 1929-1949 Paramount features), despite early PR indicating they'd have some of their films.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I assume Disney's gonna put any non-kid-friendly titles on Hulu. Their movie collection could use a little shoring up anyway.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Ingmar terdman posted:

update: ten minutes in and this bluray is gorgeous

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Maxwell Lord posted:

I assume Disney's gonna put any non-kid-friendly titles on Hulu. Their movie collection could use a little shoring up anyway.

Possibly, Disney made Hulu the official streaming service for FX/X. And speaking of Hulu, if you hadn't seen it they just adding Barking Dogs Never Bite, The Host, Mother and Paradite.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Did anyone get the Blu of salesman? How's the transfer

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Empress Brosephine posted:

Did anyone get the Blu of salesman? How's the transfer

From the screencaps on Criterion's site, it looks pretty spectacular.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Hell. Yes.

https://twitter.com/Criterion/status/1249759372215009281?s=20

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

That set is seriously stacked. The only shame is that "Game of Death" is now in the collection, and that movie is garbage.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

zandert33 posted:

That set is seriously stacked. The only shame is that "Game of Death" is now in the collection, and that movie is garbage.

It's worth it for the sequences with the real Bruce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
It is one of his most recognizable titles, just due to the mythic status of his death anyways. So you put that title in, and you get one more reason for crowds to check it out. "Oh, Game of Death? I know that one, must be one of his important films. This must be a box set of his most important films."

In any case, it seems like criterion is going for a more biographical approach to this set, documenting his film career in his last few years, than a purely qualitative approach. And if you're going through his last films, kinda hard to ignore The Last Film.