Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

BiggerBoat posted:

Thanks. I like to drag out the experience on these games, especially on my first run, so I'm gonna run back and pick all those locks and waste the stragglers I ran away from.
If you don't, you will in fact miss at least one Hip Pouch, so that's a good idea anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Bonaventure posted:

Wait whaaaaa?
You mean like do a perfect dodge and counter with the knife equipped?

Yes! It can even explode heads, which looks hilarious. I've been doing a hot dogger only run and the counter uppercut has done a ton of damage on the occasions where I've had to fight. The only drawback has been that it doesn't seem like you can dodge out of the knife counterattack animation (or else I'm doing it wrong), so be judicious using it around a group of enemies.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Vikar Jerome posted:

just to clarify on how you are meant to beat this stupid boss fight i shoot him with the magnum until carlos turns up, so one trick pony starts his running and hiding, i shoot the red bits so it falls down, then i flame round his little ball sack that pops out while avoiding the zombies, then i just run around dodging all his moves until he starts running and hiding again? just rinse repeat? is that it? because its taking forever, im running out of health and flame rounds.

Don't flame round his weak point, use like the magnum or shotgun for it, imo. I use flame rounds when he's on the ground actually attacking me because I find it tends to stagger/distract him.

Seedge posted:

If you play Nightmare, this isn't necessarily true. Also, you can just avoid him on any difficulty.

I got to the final boss on Nightmare, after some hairy moments throughout, and I just can't loving beat it. I'm not good enough at dodging. I've powered through every other challenge thanks to the infinite AR and six coins and its not enough to make up for my inability to dodge gooder. I keep getting slammed because I'm trying to shoot bits and getting caught trying to reload, so I can't dodge, so I die. Or I step into a pool and cough, do I can't dodge, so I die. I've died to this guy more than all my other deaths combined.

He beat my rear end like a drum until I finally got good enough at dodging his poo poo. Rocket Launcher makes it significantly easier, partly because one rocket can take out several pustules but actually I found the bigger help was because you don't have to reload the fucker, because I consistently had the same problem as you. Until you learn his attacks extremely well and play without mistakes you're going to eat poo poo trying to reload, a lot.

DanielCross posted:

Someone a few pages back asked about skipping the shotgun. If you don't pick it up at the Subway office, it spawns next to the Typewriter in the room with the first Mine Rounds, right after Carlos RPD.

And if you don't pick it up there, it spawns in the safe room in NEST 2.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Shoutout to whoever designed the third fight with Nemmy in the remake. It's insanely tedious and boring and bullshit. I'm on my eighth or ninth try now and slowly dying inside because I wanted to beat the game on hardcore.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
For all of those wondering, Jill can not pick up the upgrades for the assault rifle, even if you leave them as Carlos. This includes the side pack in the hospital as well.

So take everything that isn't bolted down as Carlos, Jill can't use it.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Terminally Bored posted:

Shoutout to whoever designed the third fight with Nemmy in the remake. It's insanely tedious and boring and bullshit. I'm on my eighth or ninth try now and slowly dying inside because I wanted to beat the game on hardcore.

each boss fight in both remakes would be infinitely better if they reduced the boss' hp by 1/4

I also got tricked into doing hardcore my first playthrough and that fight made me very frustrated but it felt good when I beat it.

I dunno if it works like this but I tried to use flame rounds sparingly -- he's weak to them according to the loading tips, but I would use one and then wait for the DoT flames to go out before using another, because I don't think they stack. I saved my explosive rounds to interrupt him when he was charging in later phases of the fight.

it's very unclear what you're supposed to do when he's hiding: shoot at the red lights on the tanks/generators to electrocute him. this also exposes what I presume is his weak point, a floppy parasite that retracts into his chest. try to pump it full of magnum rounds or shotgun shells if you're able to, but it's unclear just how much extra damage it did to him.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

It takes about four flame rounds to the face to finish his first phase and. Spent all magnum rounds on those pale fuckers before the fight and acid rounds suck rear end. And they were good in RE2.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I haven't had the chance to try it myself, but Acid Rounds supposedly kill Hunter Betas the flame rounds flatten Gammas. They're not terrible, just more situational.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
I completely ran out of ammo on one attempt and since I hadn't brought my knife along I was completely hosed, beyond the fact that you die in two hits on hardcore. felt bad.

hey new players don't listen to the people suggesting your first run be on hardcore, it's very loving difficult.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
On hardcore it seemed like you didn't have very much time to shoot the generators to knock Nemesis down either, Carlos would yell which one, I'd spin around to find it and it was already too late, he just jumps back down. So I dumped most of my ammo into just blasting him without the weak point thing.

Terminally Bored posted:

It takes about four flame rounds to the face to finish his first phase and. Spent all magnum rounds on those pale fuckers before the fight and acid rounds suck rear end. And they were good in RE2.

Acid rounds stun hunters for a pretty long time letting you just easily shotgun them in the head, I think that might be all they're good for though?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Both of the remakes are horrible for actually telegraphing when stuff is taking damage, and I think both games have some pretty long i-frames for bosses. Acid rounds are borderline useless in this unless you are dealing with Hunter betas.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the dot damage on the acid rounds lets you two shot them with the shotgun technically i think but i would rather just spend the extra shot to be safe edit: on hardcore

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

blackguy32 posted:

Both of the remakes are horrible for actually telegraphing when stuff is taking damage, and I think both games have some pretty long i-frames for bosses.

honestly, I've had this complaint about every RE after 4

edit: actually thinking back to my first time playing 4 I also found it frustrating: like, I could tell hitting the parasites in bosses was what you're supposed to do because the first gigante fight (and other enemies) acts like a tutorial for that and they have a consistent yellow blood when you hit them to give you feedback, but often I was unsure if MISSING the parasite and hitting their body to cause red blood was doing ANY damage at all, because it rarely resulted in any kind of feedback like stagger or flinching. I know part of the idea is to keep information from the player to up the tension, but if you die or run out of ammo a few times you stop being tense and start saying "am I even doing this right?? am I missing something??"

Bonaventure fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 8, 2020

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Something I noticed that I really liked was Brad not having any kind of weapon on him. When you check his model in the viewer he doesn't even wear a holster. It's just really fitting for his character.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Strangely enough, he did have a weapon in RE3 classic. He even shoots a zombie with it.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Try 11, 12 and 13. Did about 20 perfect dodges, got to the point where he gets electrocuted by Carlos. I've been trying to get through this fight for about two hours now.

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!

Bonaventure posted:

edit: actually thinking back to my first time playing 4 I also found it frustrating: like, I could tell hitting the parasites in bosses was what you're supposed to do because the first gigante fight (and other enemies) acts like a tutorial for that and they have a consistent yellow blood when you hit them to give you feedback, but often I was unsure if MISSING the parasite and hitting their body to cause red blood was doing ANY damage at all, because it rarely resulted in any kind of feedback like stagger or flinching. I know part of the idea is to keep information from the player to up the tension, but if you die or run out of ammo a few times you stop being tense and start saying "am I even doing this right?? am I missing something??"

On this note I didn't even REALIZE there was a little parasite coming out of Dog-Nemesis's belly when he fell down, so for the longest time I never realized that was a moment to do EXTRA damage, I thought it was just a time to get damage in since he's down for a second. The game even reinforces that it's a convenience thing with all the dialog surrounding his first fight, with Jill commenting "Oh man he's too fast to hit, gotta get him down." (not that I had issues hitting him when he was running around) and "Now's my chance, he's NOT MOVING." No mention at all that he's taking extra damage during this time, and the color of the parasite (red) blends in with all the other fleshy tones on his body. Super frustrating to find out later that I was wasting my ammo by laying into him all other times before that point.

I'll be honest, even after beating the game in hardcore I'm still unsure which points the Nemesis actually is affected by damage at ALL outside of those specific moments. After learning about the "weak point" I stopped bothering to hit him outside of those moments and for all I know I could have still shortened those fights by continuing to lay into him outside of those moments. Who knows!

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
RE3 Remake might have the most positive portrayal of Brad in any RE media. Which admittedly isn't a huge selection, but still.

DanielCross fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 8, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

DanielCross posted:

RE3 Remake might have the most positive portrayal of Brad in any RE media. Which admittedly isn't a huge selection, but still.
I did like his heroic sacrifice a lot. It does retroactively make him seem quite a bit less like a coward only out to save his own skin.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Bonaventure posted:

There's a boss in the PS2 game Nightshade will always be the biggest offender of this ever in any game. The thing is basically invulnerable except for a few seconds after one of its attacks and there's like no way to know if you're making a difference or not or how to do anything.

RE7 is pretty bad with it too.

Honestly I didn't have any problems with it in RE4 because like you say it's like, if you hit a thing at all it's being hurt, then if you hit the weakpoint/parasite itself there's the extra blood+sound effect. So you know okay, shoot it a lot, it staggers and shows a weakpoint, go to town on that, repeat.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Yeah RE4 was definitely the best about it but there’s still times where fights went on way longer than expected and I was confused if the game -required- perfect aim from me to even damage the boss or if I had just wasted all my good ammo on shots that just missed the weak point and hit normal flesh instead.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Terminally Bored posted:

Try 11, 12 and 13. Did about 20 perfect dodges, got to the point where he gets electrocuted by Carlos. I've been trying to get through this fight for about two hours now.

Here's a tip that saw me through Nightmare and will probably work in Hardcore: When he's running around the tanks, track him and just dome zombies with the shotgun (or a GL shot) while you're turning the camera. Zombies here have no health so the shotgun at moderate range will kill them. You can trip the switches with the GL but this will just knock him off if you do this when Carlos tries to hit him (because he's hanging in front of the tank) so you your handgun.

Another tip I saw was to lay a mine round in his path while he runs which will also expose his weakpoint, and you don't HAVE to have Carlos hit him to end the fight.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Bonaventure posted:

I completely ran out of ammo on one attempt and since I hadn't brought my knife along I was completely hosed, beyond the fact that you die in two hits on hardcore. felt bad.

hey new players don't listen to the people suggesting your first run be on hardcore, it's very loving difficult.

Same. Yeah, no thanks. I like to ease myself in. I feel like going too fast ruins so much of the experience. Ammo hasn't been a problem but healing items have since I keep forgetting to dodge motherfuckers and it's not in muscle memory.

I'm pretty schooled with these games but like to get the most out of them on initial plays and really soak in the atmosphere; read everything, probe every nook and cranny, no YT help, etc. I enjoyed the hell out of the 90 minutes or so I hosed around with it last night going in blind and playing with my 9 year old son watching. He loves it. I have a separate save for him for us to play and he's a surprisingly good navigator with a reliable memory for where poo poo is/was.

So far, PROS:

- Being able to head shot motherfuckers again.
- Exploding barrels and trying to use them strategically
- Nice open world feel and clever placement of items and obstacles
- Great graphics

CONS:

- Keep forgetting I can dodge
- No automatic defense items
- No grenade arc
- Knowing it's about to get linear on me.

I seriously have zero complaints so far. Kudos to the developers for once again teaching zombies how to shamble without getting their heads lines up with your reticle as you wait patiently for a perfect head shot and somehow making it feel natural and not cheap.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

SettingSun posted:

Here's a tip that saw me through Nightmare and will probably work in Hardcore: When he's running around the tanks, track him and just dome zombies with the shotgun (or a GL shot) while you're turning the camera. Zombies here have no health so the shotgun at moderate range will kill them. You can trip the switches with the GL but this will just knock him off if you do this when Carlos tries to hit him (because he's hanging in front of the tank) so you your handgun.

Another tip I saw was to lay a mine round in his path while he runs which will also expose his weakpoint, and you don't HAVE to have Carlos hit him to end the fight.

I always used mines when he’s running laps. I’ve never been able to shoot him down normally.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

blackguy32 posted:

For all of those wondering, Jill can not pick up the upgrades for the assault rifle, even if you leave them as Carlos. This includes the side pack in the hospital as well.

So take everything that isn't bolted down as Carlos, Jill can't use it.

What about the grenades in the operating room? I was kind of curious about that one, since Jill otherwise doesn't get flashbangs on the lower difficulties.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Finally beat the last boss only to discover, and i should have seen it coming, i assumed they had cut it, but the last boss fight. And its somehow more annoying than the last one. Cant seem to dodge anything!?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

What should I be aiming to buy first at the shop? Does using these items prevent you from getting any achievements? I assume using them stops you from getting S Ranks, right?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Vikar Jerome posted:

Finally beat the last boss only to discover, and i should have seen it coming, i assumed they had cut it, but the last boss fight. And its somehow more annoying than the last one. Cant seem to dodge anything!?

Just use the Magnum to take out the polyps quickly and stun him; if your fast enough on the draw he probably won't even have time to attack.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

RE7 was the worst about this because like the Marguerite fight in particular gave no indication if or when she was vulnerable or taking damage

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Vikar Jerome posted:

What’s giving you trouble? I didn’t really dodge at all during that fight — I’ve heard it’s necessary on nightmare and above but even on Hardcore it seemed more like a victory lap.

His weak spots explode from a few handgun rounds each, pop them all and you can push a battery in. You don’t have to use heavy weaponry (but if you have magnum ammo go ahead. Everything else is probably too slow.) . I got slapped by goo a few times but if I’m remembering correctly I just ran perpendicular to him to avoid his arm smashes. It wrecks the pacing a little but the previous fight was exhausting so maybe coming back to it after taking a break would help.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

rabidsquid posted:

RE7 was the worst about this because like the Marguerite fight in particular gave no indication if or when she was vulnerable or taking damage
Is there ever a time when she isn't vulnerable? I just shot at her whenever and it seemed to work, but now I'm not sure if I wasn't just imagining it.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn-NnM4d6Lw

Interesting take on the remake of 3 that I largely agree with i.e. it's not that the game is too short and more that the pacing is the reverse of what it should be, being more exploration heavy in the second half despite the story stakes being higher while the first half is a super linear experience that should have given you more time to breathe and explore.

Which is odd because OG 3 had a slower first half that let you explore and accomplish your objectives in any order while its second half was super condensed and action packed.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Is REmake 3 better than the original?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

No

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Interesting take on the remake of 3 that I largely agree with i.e. it's not that the game is too short and more that the pacing is the reverse of what it should be, being more exploration heavy in the second half despite the story stakes being higher while the first half is a super linear experience that should have given you more time to breathe and explore.
This really articulates what bothered me so much about the structure of the game. It does things backwards.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
I would say they’re completely different games and hard to compare. The remake takes the general premise and ethos (horror-action where you’re constantly moving to new small “hub” areas) but it’s a complete reimagining that’s doesn’t replicate many things from the original (mostly new locations etc) and they feel very different and offer very different experiences. I think both games are very good.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUBGdVaWzeg

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
By contrast, the RE2 remake somehow “felt” like my memory of playing the original RE2, so that was better in the sense of being a remake even though I think I’ll end up enjoying this one more from a gameplay perspective.

edit: but I also liked the original RE3 more than the original RE2

Bonaventure fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 9, 2020

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Beat it, hardcore. Had to switch and stick to the burst glock and speedrun the 2nd battery. lol.

These times are lmao completely hosed.

The pause menu time after the final boss was like 7 hours 56 mins. (I can say at least 2 and half hours were spent on those last two bosses)
Clear time is 8 hours 17mins

And the play time in the corner is 18 hours and 35 mins somehow lmao. I think clear time is more accurate here based on my own time logging.

21 saves, 35 deaths to a mix of substation, rolling head and mostly the 2nd to last boss. Not sure if i wanna do nightmare and inferno now...

Good game. Dont miss the cuts that much tbh, did not like dog design nemmy. Wish carlos had a seperate and long campaign, it looks like they tried to the way he kept loving off. Wish they hadnt streamlined the openness they had planned but oh well. Remake2 and 3 are great games but bad remakes.

Also retcon! nicholai is working for another company now? It was still umbrella in the og... guess they are retconning in that company from 7? Also pretty sure he got out alive right. Unless they remake 0, survivor is still canon and hes very much alive.

Oh well, gimme that re8 capdaddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Vikar Jerome posted:

Also retcon! nicholai is working for another company now? It was still umbrella in the og... guess they are retconning in that company from 7? Also pretty sure he got out alive right. Unless they remake 0, survivor is still canon and hes very much alive.

I assumed he was referring to Wesker, but I guess if they keep remaking things or expand on it in 8 that it could be anyone.

And yeah, I was surprised how much I liked Carlos' segments. They might be the highlights of the game.