Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The moment I saw "Cute Boys Doing Hip-Hop Things", I figured that Subaru Kimura would be somehow involved.

Now I'm actually somewhat looking forward to it. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Finished Aerial Magic (which was fantastic even in its unfinished state) and now about ten chapters into Bloom Into You and really enjoying it.

Perhaps I'm reading too much into it due to my own experiences, but It looks like Yuu is actually completely smitten with Touko and just doesn't realize it, because her feelings don't match the "bright and sparkly" way that love is described by her friends or by the books she reads.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
All the characters in Bloom Into You are dumb idiot babies (i.e. teens), especially Yuu and Touko. But I love them anyway.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

sad to see latex unrepresented in this hypnosis times

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Aurora posted:

sad to see latex unrepresented in this hypnosis times

I thought a lot of drone stuff also used latex?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

hm, that's true

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Just finished volume 4 (ends with "Suddenly Suffocating") and I'm freaking out holy poo poo

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
my laptop died so now I'm just going to watch gay lady anime on my Roku and be friends with Katt in Animal Crossing for the rest of my life

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

If you have a smartphone theres a cool opensource comics/manga reader valled Tachiyomi on the f-droid store. It has plugins for a lot of online sites without advertising and it automatically chooses the best layout for your screen.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Just finished Bloom Into You. Holy poo poo, that was really, really good. It was exactly the kind of cozy, heartwarming story I need right now, and I loved every page of it. Not sure what to read next -- Yokohama Shopping Log?

Mikl posted:

All the characters in Bloom Into You are dumb idiot babies (i.e. teens), especially Yuu and Touko. But I love them anyway.

I mean, you say that, but throughout this entire series, Yuu, Touko, and Sayaka have all acted with dramatically more emotional maturity that I see in a lot of fictional adults

Or a lot of real-world adults, for that matter

Or basically anyone I knew in university, including myself

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

Just finished Bloom Into You. Holy poo poo, that was really, really good. It was exactly the kind of cozy, heartwarming story I need right now, and I loved every page of it. Not sure what to read next -- Yokohama Shopping Log?

I mean, you say that, but throughout this entire series, Yuu, Touko, and Sayaka have all acted with dramatically more emotional maturity that I see in a lot of fictional adults

Or a lot of real-world adults, for that matter

Or basically anyone I knew in university, including myself

You're right, it's just that I tend to see characters I like as my precious children who must be protected, so being proud of them comes with the territory.

Read Girl Friends next. Or Kase-san.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The Witch's Servant and The Demon Lords Horns is a very bizarre series because it feels like two series are just stapled together. One is whenever the demons are around, and it's the worst garbage you can find and certainly almost stopped me from reading anymore of it. The other is an insanely good as hell queer fantasy romcom, which is whenever the demons are not around and instead the main cast are just hanging around in their house being idiots.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I think the demon girl who wants to gently caress older women is good, personally

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Mikl posted:

You're right, it's just that I tend to see characters I like as my precious children who must be protected, so being proud of them comes with the territory.

Read Girl Friends next. Or Kase-san.

I actually read the first two chapters of Girl Friends after finishing BIY and bounced off it; it seems much more loud and hectic and kind of alarming. After this recommendation I went back and read a few more and now I'm getting more into it, so thanks!

Kase-san also looks like something I might enjoy. E: but it looks like it has an official english release that I'd need to figure out how to de-DRM in order to get onto my tablet and I don't think I have the energy for that right now, oh well

Any recommendations for soft cosy lesbian slice of life stuff that isn't set in a high school?

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Apr 6, 2020

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

After Hours. The summary: "Asahina Emi, an ordinary girl dragged along to a club by a friend, has a chance encounter with Kei, a savvy, fashionable, vinyl-collecting lesbian - and what unfolds a heart-throbbing, shimmering tale of girl meets girl against the backdrop of Tokyo's vibrant nightlife scene."

It should have an official english translation too iirc?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Yeah, After Hours has a complete english printing.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

ToxicFrog posted:

Any recommendations for soft cosy lesbian slice of life stuff that isn't set in a high school?

Cheerful Amnesia and The Two of Them Are Pretty Much Like This are pretty good.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

ToxicFrog posted:

This definitely counts
I'd say this counts as slice-of-life too?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
uh poor poor lips

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Ok I think that's my favourite of all the recommendations so far. 🐍

There's not enough of it though! It's all gone already.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
poor poor lips

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Attention Snooze Cruise https://mangadex.org/chapter/851040

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

I saw it was great I loved it I went wow!!!!!

Vampires should be real

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Aah gently caress it's so close to being finished

And then I can finally read it

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

as a heads up we will be changing the recommendation in the thread title from akanesasu shoujo to kakeochi girl (run away with me girl)

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

drat the mods are on top of this I didn't even ask yet

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Girl Friends update: reading chapter 22, outwardly calm, inwardly screaming AUGH JUST loving TALK TO EACH OTHER YOU CATASTROPHICALLY USELESS LESBIANS

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Im not a girlfriends fan, the only series of her's that ever really click for me was after school

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

(I'm not ignoring the recs for Tsuki to Suppin, Cheerful Amnesia, or The Two Of Them Are Pretty Much Like This, btw, but since they're still ongoing I don't want to start reading them.)

Snooze Cruise posted:

Im not a girlfriends fan, the only series of her's that ever really click for me was after school

I didn't like it as much as Bloom Into You and I almost put it down after the first two chapters, but I kept reading and I'm glad I did; overall, I enjoyed it a lot. BIY was better, but it's a hard act to follow.

Now I just need to figure out what to read next. Don't have Kase-san, yet, so maybe I'll check out Poor Poor Lips like you suggested. :v:

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Apr 8, 2020

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
re: comfy slice of life not in high school, Collectors is complete, but idk if it's fully translated.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Girlfriends is better than Bloom Into You :evilbuddy:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
bloom into two, the hit sequel

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
glomp onto you, the hit uwuqel

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

LibrarianCroaker posted:

re: comfy slice of life not in high school, Collectors is complete, but idk if it's fully translated.

Doesn't look like it.

While I'm asking for recommendations: anyone got good ones for at least somewhat queer SF/F manga? I've been doing alright for novels lately but don't really know where to start looking when it comes to manga.

DisDisDis posted:

Girlfriends is better than Bloom Into You :evilbuddy:

You're wrong, but in a way that I can respect.

Thinking about it more, Girl Friends was kind of bittersweet for me in a way that Bloom Into You wasn't; in school, I was a lot like Mari, but never really had that experience of one of the more social girls taking an interest in me and getting me to develop a circle of friends. There's a lot of socialization and inculturation I missed out on as a result of spending most of my childhood inside books, and while I don't regret what I've grown into as a result, I do wonder if past me would have been happier if she'd had that opportunity -- especially in high school, which was pretty loving miserable.

So, GF has more emotional resonance for me, but I like BIY more as a story, and I like its less compressed and frenetic style more, too.

Snooze Cruise posted:

That's what I do every time I see one of my girlfriends

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
no the post was a terrible weapon not something you agree with, oh no

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Snooze Cruise posted:

:glomp:

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Bloom Into You is a nice story that does absolutely nothing for me on a personal level, Girlfriends I relate to a lot, hence I'm 100% correct when I post "Girlfriends is better than BIY" on the internet

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Furthermore, people with different emotional experiences with art are wrong :twisted:

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

i agree, which is why dis not watching all of symphogear invalidates their opinions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Aurora posted:

i agree, which is why dis not watching all of symphogear invalidates their opinions
Listen we're only 10 years away from all Anime and Manga being Symphogear. Dis will get there when the time comes.