Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itdfe5yQ0Hg

So some guys took the script of Colin Trevorrow's Episode IX and did an condensed comedy version in the animation style of the remake of Link's Awakening.

I don't know if it works better than JJ Abrams. Kylo being the real villain seems better, but erhh at a Poe/Rey romance.

edit: Poor Finn getting shafted in all these potential scripts.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
It's about Revenge of the Sith level. Passable, not bad, but not exactly a good Star Wars movie either, but still better than Rise of Skywalker.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I love how it brings back all kinds of dumb EU stuff like the Eclipse-Class Star Destroyer or the good old Kuat Drive Yards.

Also giving Rey a lightsaber staff is just obvious.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

MonsieurChoc posted:

I love how it brings back all kinds of dumb EU stuff like the Eclipse-Class Star Destroyer or the good old Kuat Drive Yards.

Also giving Rey a lightsaber staff is just obvious.

It would have been the film to satiate all the unpleaseable fans who lost their minds over their beloved EU being wiped away, but in their anger... they killed it.

[palpatine_ironic.jpg]

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

well hey if bossks in it,

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I will 100% become the ultimate Star Wars homer if Bossk gets into a mainline movie

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I will 100% become the ultimate Star Wars homer if Bossk gets into a mainline movie

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Such a shame the trilogy remains unfinished. From reading the script (and viewing the accompanying concept art), this could've launched this trilogy passed the original as best trilogy imo.

https://m.imgur.com/a/lX9JG8F

https://m.imgur.com/a/fbZFcbC

Too bad Lucasfilm just stopped at VIII for whatever reason.

Now what's this 'Rise Of Skywalker' fanfiction I keep hearing about?

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

MasqueradeOverture posted:

Such a shame the trilogy remains unfinished. From reading the script (and viewing the accompanying concept art), this could've launched this trilogy passed the original as best trilogy imo.

Some of this concept art is excellent but all the ones with photoshopped elements in them look bizarre. Do people still paint?

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i dont think it would have been good but it would have had some nice visuals. i loving love those repainted walkers

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

From what I'm reading/seeing it falls apart in the third act, but I guess that beats disintegrating out of the gate.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

It's dumb but my kind of dumb.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's dumb but my kind of dumb.

It's the kind of dumb that doesn't leave me feeling like I just wasted 90 minutes and $20, unlike a certain other movie I watched last year.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

There are aspects of it that are kinda cool I guess but the Rey Kylo stuff is just a different flavor of who gives a poo poo.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

It has some of the same flaws as TROS (like pivotal moments being decided by the new Force Power a main character unlocked in their RPG skill tree) but probably would’ve been a more coherent story. I liked TROS well enough but probably would have enjoyed this more.

Rey becoming Zatoichi the Blind Swordsman and Kylo remaining a villain until his final moments are both cool (although I would have preferred he died unrepentantly evil so it doesn’t feel like they’re just doing Vader’s arc again but shittier) and I like the idea of the final battle being defected stormtroopers and regular citizens vs the First Order (maybe they could have done something there with the “stormtroopers are child soldiers” bit that none of the other movies acknowledged).

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Absolutely loving cackling at this, though:

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
It at least answers the question I had the other day, why none of these new ones went to coruscant except to maybe or maybe not blow it up

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
To me this gives off horrible EU vibes in general. Eww. (EU?)

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

To me this gives off horrible EU vibes in general. Eww. (EU?)

No more than what we actually ended up with

(a story about the clone Emperor and his secret wunderwaffen fleet with not-Ben Solo and not-Jaina Solo)

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

It has some of the same flaws as TROS

This actually shares THE biggest flaw of TROS, that Rey's parents are retconned to have been loving family all along that were murdered rather than heartless deadbeats who discarded her, just tossing away the defining moment in her character arc. It's crazy that of all things somehow this stupid and needless reversal survived the transition from Treverrow to Abrams (I suppose Abrams might have thought that introducing a different evil and lovely family member mitigated it, but he'd be mistaken if so).

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

This actually shares THE biggest flaw of TROS, that Rey's parents are retconned to have been loving family all along that were murdered rather than heartless deadbeats who discarded her, just tossing away the defining moment in her character arc. It's crazy that of all things somehow this stupid and needless reversal survived the transition from Treverrow to Abrams (I suppose Abrams might have thought that introducing a different evil and lovely family member mitigated it, but he'd be mistaken if so).

I’m willing to bet good money that neither JJ Abrams nor Chris Terrio even read Trevorrow’s script draft before they hacked it out entirely.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
JJ got what he deserved when he wrote a mystery origin for a parentless character and when the time came for someone to finally write the last jedi and they asked him just what the gently caress was the backstory there his answer was a shrug and the sound of tires peeling out as he made his getaway.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

FunkyAl posted:

Some of this concept art is excellent but all the ones with photoshopped elements in them look bizarre. Do people still paint?

Digital paint and custom brushes, which could get very uncanny-valley looking thanks to how easily editable it can be under Photoshop and Illustrator.

Painting physically for film concept art is dead simply because of tighter deadlines and ease of use issues (not to mention once you gently caress up a physical painting that's about it).

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Going full Zanscare.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

MasqueradeOverture posted:

Finn leading the fight on Coruscant and Stormtroopers breaking free from their lifelong mental conditioning and joining him is such a better character arc than what he got.

It's also thematic to "let go of the past" as those wearing the iconic white armor of Empire helps topple the First Order.

It sort of happens in TROS, but it's a 15sec "our legion refused orders" and then never mentioned again.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

if you immediately cauterize the neck how many more times can the head blink

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

The Walrus posted:

if you immediately cauterize the neck how many more times can the head blink

Can't wait to find out in Star Wars X

the X is for Xtreme

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

So I actually read the whole script and it turns out it carries quite a bit of DNA for TROS: the Sith holycron stuff, the planet-destroying Star (uh) Destroyers, Lando coming in with the cavalry of amateurs at the last minute, Kylo turning after Leia whispers his name through the force, him restoring Rey's lifeforce (in this script the last two moments are back-to-back), Rey receiving the psychic support/ encouragement of "everyone" to get back up, it's all here. While ostensibly quite different from what we eventually got, when reading it you can get a feel for how things consolidated and evolved (hilariously, there's a lot of instances where the script describes Rey as she "RISES" in all caps and you can just imagine the lightbulb going off over Abrams' head).

What's most striking to me about the script, though, is that thematically it's so hysterically misguided it would make Star Trek Insurrection blush. The moral of the story essentially boils down to "It's OK to be mad," but in service of this it presents the idea that "balance" in the force means "balance between the light and the dark" - visually represented by dual thrones for a Jedi and a Sith - which is a pretty overly-literal interpretation of the force to begin with, and since the script does NOTHING to dispell the notion that the Jedi are good and just and the Sith are evil bastards, the story all but explicitly argues for the existence and necessity of evil in the universe. At the end Yoda is thanking Rey for showing how the Jedi were too narrow in their views of rejecting the dark side, and somewhere Chancellor Palpatine must be howling his balls off.

It's possible to have a story about not repressing yourself or denying your passions etc., but it would require nuance - ie. there is in fact no such thing as light and dark sides to the force - and instead the script leans in hard on this dichotomy, seemingly oblivious to what it's actually saying.

Also holy cow is Rey wasted here. Throughout the story she learns nothing and becomes nothing - not even a "you know what, I was right along" type of realization, there's absolutely no payoff here. She's exactly the same person she is when we first meet her in TFA only with more Jedi powers, and would once again have to rely exclusively on Daisy Ridley's peculiar screen presence to carry the character.

I'd like to think the above are the reasons Colin Treverow was fired but realistically it probably was some other completely random reason like he hung the toilet paper in the wrong direction in the restroom or pronounced 'insurance' with emphasis on the first syllable like "IN-shur-uns" or something.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I'd like to think the above are the reasons Colin Treverow was fired but realistically it probably was some other completely random reason like he hung the toilet paper in the wrong direction in the restroom or pronounced 'insurance' with emphasis on the first syllable like "IN-shur-uns" or something.

That would be Book of Henry, while the reason we are not getting a Star Wars trilogy from the GoT guys is... GoT's last season. Disney doesn't tolerate the stench of public failure when it comes to deciding who gets to touch the golden goose.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Book of Henry

I just googled this and holy poo poo Naomi Watts really needs to fire her agent.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Sodomy Hussein posted:

That would be Book of Henry, while the reason we are not getting a Star Wars trilogy from the GoT guys is... GoT's last season. Disney doesn't tolerate the stench of public failure when it comes to deciding who gets to touch the golden goose.
The GoT guys is double-schaden because by all accounts they rushed the last season so their schedule would let them do Star Wars. They played themselves. Absolutely deserved and I didn't even like that show.

It's especially galling because for everyone who complained about Midi-Chlorians reducing Jedi specialness down to a blood test, making Rey a genuine neglected nobody is a clear thematic reclamation of the idea that the Force can be present in anyone. Instead because it was surrounded by all the other stuff CHUDs hate about The Last Jedi it has to get undone and now there are literally only 2 Force-Sensitive bloodlines in the galaxy worth a gently caress. Great loving job there.

Seriously if you complained about Midi-Chlorians but praised the Rey Palpatine reveal, I want to clap your balls in a blu-ray case.

FunkyAl posted:

Time-crunch. I bet they get like 1 month to do all this poo poo at most and photoshopping in likenesses helps make it easier to sell the idea to executives with little imagination and even less time. There's concept art for Captain America: Civil War with Bryan Cranston in the William Hurt role.

So I actually read the whole script and it turns out it carries quite a bit of DNA for TROS: the Sith holycron stuff, the planet-destroying Star (uh) Destroyers, Lando coming in with the cavalry of amateurs at the last minute, Kylo turning after Leia whispers his name through the force, him restoring Rey's lifeforce (in this script the last two moments are back-to-back), Rey receiving the psychic support/ encouragement of "everyone" to get back up, it's all here. While ostensibly quite different from what we eventually got, when reading it you can get a feel for how things consolidated and evolved (hilariously, there's a lot of instances where the script describes Rey as she "RISES" in all caps and you can just imagine the lightbulb going off over Abrams' head).

What's most striking to me about the script, though, is that thematically it's so hysterically misguided it would make Star Trek Insurrection blush. The moral of the story essentially boils down to "It's OK to be mad," but in service of this it presents the idea that "balance" in the force means "balance between the light and the dark" - visually represented by dual thrones for a Jedi and a Sith - which is a pretty overly-literal interpretation of the force to begin with, and since the script does NOTHING to dispell the notion that the Jedi are good and just and the Sith are evil bastards, the story all but explicitly argues for the existence and necessity of evil in the universe. At the end Yoda is thanking Rey for showing how the Jedi were too narrow in their views of rejecting the dark side, and somewhere Chancellor Palpatine must be howling his balls off.

It's possible to have a story about not repressing yourself or denying your passions etc., but it would require nuance - ie. there is in fact no such thing as light and dark sides to the force - and instead the script leans in hard on this dichotomy, seemingly oblivious to what it's actually saying.

Also holy cow is Rey wasted here. Throughout the story she learns nothing and becomes nothing - not even a "you know what, I was right along" type of realization, there's absolutely no payoff here. She's exactly the same person she is when we first meet her in TFA only with more Jedi powers, and would once again have to rely exclusively on Daisy Ridley's peculiar screen presence to carry the character.

That is a shame. I hate to say it but the actual Rise of Skywalker might have been a blessing, because it definitely dispelled nearly everyone in the hardcore set from taking that poo poo so seriously. What you're describing would have become yet another CHUD paragon that promotes really wonky thematic ideals and hides behind "it's a fantasy story!" as a defense.

The concept art looks great though.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

Time-crunch. I bet they get like 1 month to do all this poo poo at most and photoshopping in likenesses helps make it easier to sell the idea to executives with little imagination and even less time. There's concept art for Captain America: Civil War with Bryan Cranston in the William Hurt role.
On the Star Wars films, pre-production and concept art usually begin pretty early on - sometimes in tandem with or even ahead of the script. According to the TLJ art book, concept work was being done at least as early as the end of 2014.

That being said, working digitally does help with a quick turnaround. I've worked on a few movies that required concept work to be done during post production, and usually studio or director requests need to be turned around within days.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Colin Mochrie's Episode IX: Yes of the And

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

They did this poo poo on The Clone Wars cartoon

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

It's also extrapolating from TLJ's dorky laser-axe executioners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I hate when people pull up concept art and go "look how AWESOME this could have been" because all concept art looks like that. That's the point. Its part of the pitch; You paint some of the key moments so the peope with the money go "oh yea I see how this goes" and get excited.

Anyways, I liked Jenny Nicholson's reading of the script
https://youtu.be/7AGvXqviRys