Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I still don't get the point of gambling when there's zero chance of coming out ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Garrand posted:

So they're at about 3 and 3/4 full pages in the leper's colony, obviously some of us haven't been hit yet. I really hope mine goes through before I go into work. I've never been banned before, so want to be able to have access to my computer to re-up from.

Also reading some of the posts in the toxx thread, we are in an extremely different situation than when most people toxxed. I'm wondering how many people can afford to drop the :10bux: to come back right now.

There's no incentive to toxx and no requirement to do it.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I would love to volunteer to get peoples accounts back but I’m unemployed too so scrape up some couch change brave Bernie bros

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
At least it was/is handled much better than the 2016 presidential toxxes for Hillary Clinton...

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Lowtax is going to break his spine again scrooge mcducking into a pile of gold

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I live for election toxx bloodbaths

EorayMel posted:

At least it was/is handled much better than the 2016 presidential toxxes for Hillary Clinton...

exmarx was a loving terrible admin

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
The meltdowns are pretty good

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

zakharov posted:

I still don't get the point of gambling when there's zero chance of coming out ahead.

The "C" in C-Spam stands for Cnut.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

angerbeet posted:

C-SPAM is going to be pretty quiet for a while.

The enforcement of :decorum: is going to stop any further posting in that subforum. The only thing the left wants now is blood, and you're only allowed to play by the centre-right wing's rules otherwise you become the bad guy or some other appeasement bullshit like that.

Up to a full five pages and counting. Pretty sure that's the entire posting base of C-SPAM dusted.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

We're up to $680 in and counting in reregs alone, not even including avs, tags, and people deciding to just buy new accounts.

Kazinsal posted:

Up to a full five pages and counting. Pretty sure that's the entire posting base of C-SPAM dusted.

C-Spam averages over 1000 posters a day, and five pages is only about two to three hundred. So I'm guessing not.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Taxman's gonna get to buy the fancy box wine tonight!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Goldbelly stocks rising like a fine crust

Heath fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 8, 2020

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Kazinsal posted:

Taxman's gonna get to buy the fancy box wine tonight!

He might even be able to get wine in a can

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Spanish Manlove posted:

He might even be able to get wine in a can
Chef Boyardee Pinot Grigioroni

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Somewhere in all of that, the admins took Avs off of perma

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

So did the Hillary toxxers end up getting banned?

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Phy posted:

Somewhere in all of that, the admins took Avs off of perma

I think I heard somewhere that bans override permas so they may have done it by accident?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Naw, it's not a forums backend technicality, it's Cyrano debanning her (with the usual "don't be so goddamn avshalom again, avshalom" conditions)

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

So did the Hillary toxxers end up getting banned?

Yes

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Given the unofficial Avshalom approach for years has been "let her post until she misbehaves," as it is for most goons, the admins chatted and decided there was no reason not to make that approach official. The permaban was typically invoked only when she'd made a post she would have been banned for anyway, so we felt that lifting it would effectively change nothing. Conversely, we could think of no compelling reasons to keep it in place.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Then whats the loving point? At what point does Avs finally get told to gently caress off? I love the quail thread, too, but spraying poo poo in a mental health thread was going too drat far.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

She was banned for it by the mod (and admin) of that forum, just like any other poster would have been.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

And immediately *un*-banned the very next day. She has been perma'd like three drat times now. Most people, y'know, only get one.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Malachite_Dragon posted:

And immediately *un*-banned the very next day. She has been perma'd like three drat times now. Most people, y'know, only get one.

I'm guessing she paid to unban. The point is to just ban her for posts others would be banned for, rather than giving her permas for posts other would only be banned for. Does that not make sense?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

The original permaban was for threatening a politician, which was edited out and she apologized for. The subsequent bans were for unrelated posts. We don't see any genuine reason to maintain this permaban.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

sourdough posted:

I'm guessing she paid to unban. The point is to just ban her for posts others would be banned for, rather than giving her permas for posts other would only be banned for. Does that not make sense?
They specifically un-perma'd her, if you read the image that Phy posted further up. Both the nankeen and hallelujah accounts were supposed to get a perma but it got overwritten by a normal ban because radiumcode

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

The original permaban was for threatening a politician, which was edited out and she apologized for. The subsequent bans were for unrelated posts. We don't see any genuine reason to maintain this permaban.
Ah, good, so permas are just slaps on the wrist if you're popular enough. Got it. I'll let it lie.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Then whats the loving point? At what point does Avs finally get told to gently caress off? I love the quail thread, too, but spraying poo poo in a mental health thread was going too drat far.

I gotta say I agree with this.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I gotta say I agree with this.

If you're friends with a mod/admin, you can do anything you want and it doesn't matter.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
She was perma'd once and it was informally lifted by ZDR and co, years ago, and it being reissued a few times over the years is only because not everyone got the memo that it was informally lifted. That post was bad and she got banned for it like anyone else would. I think her posts are generally good though and I'd rather have them around and so, a regular ban is more appropriate.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Well, would you please articulate to me why you feel it necessary to keep a permaban in place? Permabans are meant to label the worst of the worst, and she is still being punished appropriately for her posting.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

All the other people who got secret service subpoenas sent to Lowtax now getting their permas reversed too?

I feel like "yes she threatened the president but she apologized gosh secret service chill out" isn't a good hill to plant a flag on.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

if you don't want cool avshalom posts perhaps you should be the one who is banned

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

As far as I am aware, the typical response to a post similar to hers is a ban, but as Lowtax was the one to spot it he was understandably upset. We feel that three years has been time served. Lowtax himself, for that matter, has no objection to the reversal of a permaban status.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I think her posts are generally good though and I'd rather have them around and so, a regular ban is more appropriate.

Make whatever excuses you want you're the one with the power to decide its not like we elect mods/admins but this is literally the same logic that was used to keep fyad and the assocated "ironic" nazis around for years while a lot of people were raising the issue.

This place is fast and loose with the rules but "well we like this person" is an extremely bad precedent to set down as an excuse to overrule permabans since, again, literally the exact thing used to defend fyad for years on end.

Ex didn't use hate speech. Didn't advocate immediate violence, is just a glib rear end in a top hat etc. would be enough to justify it.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I feel like there's a difference between the people who made credible, or at least possible, threats vs. the one who threatened to kill the president via phantasmagorical vaginal absorption

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The Secret Service takes unbirthing very seriously

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Oh look its the usual defenders

It doesn't matter how she threatened to kill him. That she made said threat is all the Secret Service cares about, and you drat well know it.

bell jar posted:

if you don't want cool avshalom posts perhaps you should be the one who is banned
Explain in three sentences or less how making GBS threads in a mental health thread is 'cool'.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Well, would you please articulate to me why you feel it necessary to keep a permaban in place? Permabans are meant to label the worst of the worst, and she is still being punished appropriately for her posting.
The rules apply to everyone or they don't apply to anyone. And even then, this part:

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Permabans are meant to label the worst of the worst
is loving laughable because your colleague posting right above you has done wonders undermining that very concept. Permabans mean not a goddamn thing if they get overturned once you realize "Whoops, i almost perma'd my buddy, gotta keep them around!"

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Why did mods move this thread to QCS?

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Explain in three sentences or less how making GBS threads in a mental health thread is 'cool'.

its cool because it annoys you

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

pentyne posted:

Make whatever excuses you want you're the one with the power to decide its not like we elect mods/admins but this is literally the same logic that was used to keep fyad and the assocated "ironic" nazis around for years while a lot of people were raising the issue.

i'm hooting and hollering at the idea that avshalom posting is a slippery slope to nazism