Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Appropriately for easter, at that angle the blotchy parts of the moon look like a rabbit holding an egg. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Have you seen this guy's high school photos? He was probably the one giving swirlies.

the swirler must become the swirlee

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Take a seat, Professor Buzzkill. Let people enjoy the moon.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

It just amazes me how Twitter is so good at exposing how big of an idiot and jackass that otherwise intelligent seeming people are. Like, if all you knew of NGT was his television appearances, you'd think he was pretty great. Thanks to the internet, we've known for a while now how artificial and curated that image is.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

He somehow doesn't know when to stop:

https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/1247731535220027393

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Hmm I just shat all over their photo, better patch this up by impressing them with my knowledge of what the moon looks like south of the equator

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I've got a photo of a moon for him

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Does he have so much time to tweet because he's just constantly being stuffed in a locker?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

What if it was accomplished with a 11-16mm zoom Neil, would you be impressed then? Good to know science man doesn't know poo poo about photography, being a zoom lens means nothing more than it can move between two different focal lengths.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean if for that second tweet he just posted

Then it would be a beautiful, Ken M level bait-and-dunk

But nooooo, he's playing some other, much dumber game for some reason

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

TinTower posted:

Let's make trans people go to the nearest pregnant horse toilet to get their oestrogen! Take that, modern medicine!

Love to defend the medical insitutions that had "hot and would suck my dick" as a preresquite for HRT eligibility until the 2000s and even now creates a transmedicalist narrative where transitioning == penis removal (suck it transmascs).

Actually study the history/philosophy of trans care before you defend the creeps that invented the field and, unfortunately, the dominant definition of modern transgender identity thereby.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

https://twitter.com/anarchomastia/status/1248008379756249088

"in Europe loving in front of your family and kids is very normal you stupid prude!"

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

That tableleg too sexy for you friend

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Doesn't NGT hang out with Ben Shapiro or one of those losers?

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

For most of history people shat in buckets doesn’t mean we should do it now.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

T-man posted:

Love to defend the medical insitutions that had "hot and would suck my dick" as a preresquite for HRT eligibility until the 2000s and even now creates a transmedicalist narrative where transitioning == penis removal (suck it transmascs).

Actually study the history/philosophy of trans care before you defend the creeps that invented the field and, unfortunately, the dominant definition of modern transgender identity thereby.

You're still going with your "actually everybody who does real medicine is a monster" thing huh

Love me some essential oils and holistic vaccines

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

So is there some backstory to this? Or is he just making GBS threads on some random guy who was proud of his wife's moon photo?

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

letthereberock posted:

For most of history people shat in buckets doesn’t mean we should do it now.

Not to mention women were property and rape was extremely common. There are attitudes towards sexuality from the past that we have (and should have) renounced.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

hyperhazard posted:

So is there some backstory to this? Or is he just making GBS threads on some random guy who was proud of his wife's moon photo?

It's NDT...it's most certainly the latter. The guys brain is broken.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Jamie Faith posted:

"in Europe loving in front of your family and kids is very normal you stupid prude!"

The only place I've seen anyone unironically say this about medieval life is A World Lit Only by Fire, which is one of the worst and least accurate pop history books in the world but has unfortunately colored a lot of popular medieval history "knowledge" because it ended up assigned reading in a lot of college courses. Other claims include

* Medieval peasants had no sense of time and never went much further than their home village, which could lead to them becoming hopelessly lost if they ever left town.

* The focus on religion removed the medieval man's sense of self as an individual human, causing them to frolic naked in the summer due to having no shame.

* Cannibalism was a regular occurrence, as was poverty so great that you were left naked in an empty hut any time you had a bad year from selling everything you owned.

So basically the medieval countryside was just full of roving bands of nude cannibals. It also had one point where he took a medieval joke about a peasant fainting at the smell of perfume in a city and needing to be revived by waving a shovel of dung under his nose as actual fact that he repeated.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Roblo posted:

It's NDT...it's most certainly the latter. The guys brain is broken.

One of Tyson's heroes is Carl Sagan... maybe he's been dead too long for me to remember what he was really like, but I can't picture Sagan looking at some rando's photo of the closest available astronomical object, and then turning his head to the side, sticking his tongue out and going "THHHPPBBBPPT" while doing a big broad thumbs-down

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Never forget that one of the numerous sexual harassment allegations against NDT was that he carries around an index card with a list of heavy set actresses on it as proof that women don’t experience body shaming any more than men do.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Jamie Faith posted:

I’m in for the first quarter of these two tweets, since “it’s fine if they want to do whatever in private but they shouldn’t flaunt it so much” is a bad take but I think she’s overcorrected

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

T-man posted:

Medicine needs to be made properly with high standards. Medical history as a whole is riddled with a lot of bullshit and biases that, unfortunately, are contemporary as well as historical, and the contemporary institutions can only improve by recognizing the mistakes of both the far and recent path even if that makes them uncomfortable, such as what you've pointed out about how transmedicalism is uncomfortably penis-focused and shoves trans people into very narrow narratives.

I think what ppl are making fun of is just the idea of 'the existence of medical facilities is bad'. You could argue that OP was merely suggesting a massive institutional shift that provides high-quality medical care more equally and accessibly, but I'd argue such a shift would still produce something we'd call 'hospitals' even if the institution was pretty different. And it can also be read as 'let's just make medicine in our backyards'.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Henchman of Santa posted:

Never forget that one of the numerous sexual harassment allegations against NDT was that he carries around an index card with a list of heavy set actresses on it as proof that women don’t experience body shaming any more than men do.

I did not know this about him. While I will never forget it I really wish I didn't know it in the first place.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Carl Sagan always struck me, from his various books, as a nerdy stoner type.

I hope Carl'd be fairly chill on Twitter.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Badger of Basra posted:

I’m in for the first quarter of these two tweets, since “it’s fine if they want to do whatever in private but they shouldn’t flaunt it so much” is a bad take but I think she’s overcorrected

https://twitter.com/anarchomastia/status/1248008650850885632

Just a tad.

For the record, she's also wrong. People at least put a curtain up and tried to stay quiet. Loudly loving your wife in front of your kids was considered as much of a faux pas as it is today.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Phy posted:

One of Tyson's heroes is Carl Sagan... maybe he's been dead too long for me to remember what he was really like, but I can't picture Sagan looking at some rando's photo of the closest available astronomical object, and then turning his head to the side, sticking his tongue out and going "THHHPPBBBPPT" while doing a big broad thumbs-down

Dipshit Carl Sagan might

e: hhh

RoboRodent posted:

Carl Sagan always struck me, from his various books, as a nerdy stoner type.

I hope Carl'd be fairly chill on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/pizza_suplex/status/973593074055172098?lang=en

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

chitoryu12 posted:

https://twitter.com/anarchomastia/status/1248008650850885632

Just a tad.

For the record, she's also wrong. People at least put a curtain up and tried to stay quiet. Loudly loving your wife in front of your kids was considered as much of a faux pas as it is today.
I do think there can be an overreaction to even the suggestion of sexual content in American culture - tenfold if it happens to be queer, in which case even chaste hand-holding and the explicit confirmation of being a couple can be seen as 'adult content'.

That does not mean we need to just start sucking dicks in public. People have the right to opt out of seeing that stuff.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I remember when Pride parades were mostly men in thongs throwing condoms into the crowd and naked lesbians on bicycles, and they were much better then.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

PetraCore posted:

I do think there can be an overreaction to even the suggestion of sexual content in American culture - tenfold if it happens to be queer, in which case even chaste hand-holding and the explicit confirmation of being a couple can be seen as 'adult content'.

That does not mean we need to just start sucking dicks in public. People have the right to opt out of seeing that stuff.

Yeah, totally.

It's super weird how some people can't understand that there's a middle ground between "Sex=evil" and "sex in public should be legal!"... at risk of sounding like a centrist lol

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Have you seen this guy's high school photos? He was probably the one giving swirlies.

And assaulting women. Y'know, 'cuz he does that. Because he's a creep, he's a weirdo, and he doesn't belong here.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be fair to be a centralist you would have to believe the center is inherently correct and the actual issue doesn’t actually matter

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Phy posted:

If we're being charitable toward NDT, he might have thought he was saying something more like "Great photo! Looks to me like you used a such-and-such lens, because you'd be hard pressed to get a pic like that from a regular cellphone camera. Am I right?" and was just tone-deaf to his own dickishness.

I was willing to cut Tyson a lot of slack as the various stories about him started coming out, precisely because of his association with Sagan (who was one of my childhood heroes). But he just can't seem to stop being a creepy jerk, over and over.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Jamie Faith posted:

Yeah, totally.

It's super weird how some people can't understand that there's a middle ground between "Sex=evil" and "sex in public should be legal!"... at risk of sounding like a centrist lol
I think usually people get it if you frame it as a consent issue, it's the people who keep digging after that that worry me.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
If Tyson had any more sexual abuse allegations he'd become a presidential candidate.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

PetraCore posted:

I think usually people get it if you frame it as a consent issue, it's the people who keep digging after that that worry me.

Yeah, I've seen some people continue arguing saying its not a consent issue because sex/the human body/whatever is natural then if you have a problem with it then you're just a dumb prude and you need to get therapy and get over it.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Jamie Faith posted:

Yeah, totally.

You're not a centrist if the truth is, in fact, somewhere in between two ludicrous extreme arguments. That just makes the people at the extremes crazy.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

hyperhazard posted:

NDT gets pissy whenever people hype up a 'supermoon' so I imagine being sent a picture of one set him off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Jamie Faith posted:

Yeah, I've seen some people continue arguing saying its not a consent issue because sex/the human body/whatever is natural then if you have a problem with it then you're just a dumb prude and you need to get therapy and get over it.
That's the same thing sexual predators argue.