Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
does anyone even do work anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Xaris posted:

we're pretty much just going to slide into increasing worsening conditions into a children of men-esque failed liberal democracy that's held together by hot-melt glue equivalent of militarized police corpofascism and everyone is brow-beaten into submission trying to keep their heads down in a malaise daze

it would be better to have the rich cooked alive and eaten but well, not happening soon. status qup has a lot of wealth and power and ability to manufacture consent with spending only minimal effort to keep it going compared to changing it. check back in 4-8+ years

Xaris posted:

but we're there tho

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Stereotype posted:

unfortunately :negative:

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

PCjr sidecar posted:

italy-parliament-fistfight.gif

or the loving uk lib dems teaming up with torys for austerity lol
To be clear representative systems also have more colorful characters within the government itself. They're just not the ones forming the majority coalitions.

It helps to have other rules too. In Germany (where things are decidedly more boring) they require a "constructive vote of no confidence", ie if you're getting rid of the government you have to simultaneously propose a replacement. In Italy this isn't true, so you have an incentive for grandstanding somewhat analogous to how Republican legislators act in California (pure obstructionism).

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

President Beep posted:

unfortunately :negative:

I have a meeting in 15 minutes but I definitely don't do as much work as I used to or need to

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Also guys we aren't even a month into this lol don't make any grand predictions yet. We've got like 3 months to go at least

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Stereotype posted:

I have a meeting in 15 minutes but I definitely don't do as much work as I used to or need to

i kinda do and kinda don't. i don't get interrupted nearly as much, so i've been able to bang some stuff out, but i also spent like 15 hours last week doing homework

:shrug:

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Xaris posted:

we're pretty much just going to slide into increasing worsening conditions into a children of men-esque failed liberal democracy that's held together by hot-melt glue equivalent of militarized police corpofascism and everyone is brow-beaten into submission trying to keep their heads down in a malaise daze

it would be better to have the rich cooked alive and eaten but well, not happening soon. status qup has a lot of wealth and power and ability to manufacture consent with spending only minimal effort to keep it going compared to changing it. check back in 4-8+ years

jeff bezos looks like he'd be really tough and stringy. zuck would be like chewing rubber.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

President Beep posted:

i kinda do and kinda don't. i don't get interrupted nearly as much, so i've been able to bang some stuff out, but i also spent like 15 hours last week doing homework

I don't have kids but I have an unemployed roommate and an extrovert fiance in law school, plus ADD, so I'm often very quickly distracted.

Also the entire world is a slow motion car crash and I can't look away.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

President Beep posted:

on my wfh days, the mrs and i go full psyop to convince my 3 y-o that I left for work, when in reality i just snuck downstairs to the basement where the desktop computer is. i still get almost nothing done unless it’s email horse poo poo.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Roosevelt posted:

jeff bezos looks like he'd be really tough and stringy. zuck would be like chewing rubber.

i think zuck is probably on a bunch of psych meds and stuff, his meat wouldn't be safe to eat. it's tough to find a good organic human these days

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

everyone has been putting up a brave front for a while but the cracks are showing here and there. the recent layoffs put some urgency into people but I give it another week or so before a lot of people stop hiding a lack of productivity.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Broken Machine posted:

i think zuck is probably on a bunch of psych meds and stuff, his meat wouldn't be safe to eat. it's tough to find a good organic human these days

dont even get me started on free range

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Broken Machine posted:

it'd be like eating those cool poisonous toads that make you trip out. all slimy and gooey with exotic robot chemicals. but y'know, its the thrill of the chase and become one with the land, really gotta connect with nature like a tech ceo going into a bali safari retreat

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Stereotype posted:

i spent most of today teaching my students how to hook arduinos up to the internet and do internet of poo poo stuff because that's what the lecture is and clearly this will be important in the hell world we're entering

Roosevelt posted:

i don't think you can eat any billionaires, really, given all the drugs (legal and otherwise) they're on. have to grind them up into bait, use the bones for ink, etc. you could probably get a few gallons of lamp oil out of elon musk.

Jonny 290 posted:

buying AR15s. maybe look into it?

what's a good lever action carbine?

my grandpa had one with a noticeably short barrel, like the below image, and it's always the gun i imagine having when i think about it. i wish my grandma hadn't given his away when he died.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

i got the boss to email everyone wishing a nice easter but remind ppl of the importance of the bubble

and I think it worked

at the very least. I just don’t want to know even if she does gently caress everything up I don’t want to be in the position of being an accomplice 😰

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

echinopsis posted:

fucken hell I have a girl that works under me who is going to break quarantine and spend easter in a coronavirus hotspot and come back to the pharmacy to work next week

and I’m terrified of her. like nothing is below her. she’d break into my house and smash my poo poo up if she knew it was me

there are going to be check points and road blocks and all sorts of crazy police state poo poo this weekend I think anyway you could also rat her out under the pseudonym “echopenis” that way she goes to jail, you lose an employee and you get a cool new pseudonym

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

i spent most of today teaching my students how to[...]do internet[...]

you monster

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Stereotype posted:

😓

but thankfully we just recorded more recovered cases today than new cases

our lockdown seems to be working

until... we stop locking down??

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

there are going to be check points and road blocks and all sorts of crazy police state poo poo this weekend I think anyway you could also rat her out under the pseudonym “echopenis” that way she goes to jail, you lose an employee and you get a cool new pseudonym

I hope. although she’s not particular stupid and the radio is full of ads i’m sure she was gonna try some sneaky method like back of an essential services truck

she said she’s not going now but hopefully she does AND gets pinged and then they look into her lack of income tax and illegal weapons etc

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
does your boss not do paye withholding or something

i always figured submitting the form asking for zero withholding was like putting up a sign saying "please audit me"

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Jabor posted:

does your boss not do paye withholding or something

i always figured submitting the form asking for zero withholding was like putting up a sign saying "please audit me"

wesley snipes school of tax accounting

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
In the USA at least the IRS basically admitted they only audit people who claim the EIC now due to budget cuts.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

echinopsis posted:

😓

but thankfully we just recorded more recovered cases today than new cases

our lockdown seems to be working

until... we stop locking down??

here in ohio our new cases daily peak curve just lowered from a potential ~10k to a potential ~2k and im so glad it seems like people are taking it seriously but also worry theyll think that means its okay now and slack on distancing

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
yeah it's gonna be a real problem when any attempt to back off on prevention measures causes a spike in cases

the best we can do is build up the healthcare system to the point that we have the capacity to treat all anticipated cases and remove obstacles to people seeking treatment

so, we're dead

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
So after 2+years of a Jira migration off our old system, they decide to dump our move to production to my teams with one days notice and everything screwed up on the component mapping.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

TerminalRaptor posted:

So after 2+years of a Jira migration off our old system, they decide to dump our move to production to my teams with one days notice and everything screwed up on the component mapping.

every worthless manager type is valiantly flailing to Shake Things Up and Finally Deploy That because they're trying to justify their lovely worthless jobs since they can't do laps around the office all day micromanaging people. im hearing this exact story so much

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Stereotype posted:

I wrote like 50 lines of shell script today and had maybe 45-60 minutes of meetings. Then I guess I wrote some scrum updates

Oh and I copy pasted some terraform 4 times.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
good friday is a stat in canada, but not for my ((American)) company.

should I take it off anyway, the obvious answer is yes but I usually take the american equivalents. I'm not sure if there is a US equivalent though

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
I wish I could to into details why they're scrambling now, but I know coworkers browse these boards.

I'll just say it looks good on paper to outsiders that we're using "modern" tools for our work, regardless of whether or not it actually works.

In the two plus years we could have updated our existing system to address the features we're missing and not have all our ticket history run through a shredder.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jonny 290 posted:

every worthless manager type is valiantly flailing to Shake Things Up and Finally Deploy That because they're trying to justify their lovely worthless jobs since they can't do laps around the office all day micromanaging people. im hearing this exact story so much

same here, so many 'urgent' otherwise low use projects are being shoveled around and they somehow think bum rushing me will get them developed faster so they can show usefulness

meanwhile, my primary role is still totally unchanged and functionally useful, so now im handling frantic projects looking for justification while trying to do real work. literally had to draft a cya script for a particular group because they keeping doing this

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Methanar posted:

good friday is a stat in canada, but not for my ((American)) company.

should I take it off anyway, the obvious answer is yes but I usually take the american equivalents. I'm not sure if there is a US equivalent though

there’s not a direct us equivalent to good friday, we have presidents’/veterans’/memorial days instead.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

echinopsis posted:

fucken hell I have a girl that works under me who is going to break quarantine and spend easter in a coronavirus hotspot and come back to the pharmacy to work next week

fire her. and be rude about it (the best way to fire idiots)

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Broken Machine posted:

the hard part about harvesting humans is all the poo poo they eat beyond just meds makes their meat gross unless you keep them in captivity for awhile and flush their system with nothing but water. also adrenaline ruins meat so before slaughter they can't be aware of what's happening. it's way too complicated when you can just force them to work your farm plots.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

echinopsis posted:

rarely do I advocate this but

bastards might they be, but in this case it's time to unleash the pigs

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

the hard part about harvesting humans is all the poo poo they eat beyond just meds makes their meat gross unless you keep them in captivity for awhile and flush their system with nothing but water. also adrenaline ruins meat so before slaughter they can't be aware of what's happening. it's way too complicated when you can just force them to work your farm plots.

or to become part of your farm plots

billionaires make good ethical fertilizer

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Kazinsal posted:

or to become part of your farm plots

billionaires make good ethical fertilizer

all people do. nothing special about one or the other, in the end they're all just carbon.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
lots of elements actually

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
remember

https://twitter.com/kingjamal08/status/798646484438687744

well

https://twitter.com/kingjamal08/status/1248097922069041152

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
theyre going to take EVERYTHING pure and good about humanity from us, and they're cowards enough that they can't even pull the trigger. theyre gonna use a loving disease to do the dirty work