Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I don't know how to break this to you this Wark, but Symphogear...is over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Aurora posted:

i agree, which is why dis not watching all of symphogear invalidates their opinions

i watched and enjoyed the first two seasons

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Julias posted:

I don't know how to break this to you this Wark, but Symphogear...is over.
It's never over, drat it! It's never over. :cry:

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

DisDisDis posted:

i watched and enjoyed the first two seasons

i don't make the rules

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

DisDisDis posted:

Bloom Into You is a nice story that does absolutely nothing for me on a personal level, Girlfriends I relate to a lot, hence I'm 100% correct when I post "Girlfriends is better than BIY" on the internet

Girl Friends is, in some ways, more personally relatable than anything or anyone in BIY was, but for whatever reason BIY had much more emotional impact for me.

I also just liked it more as a story; the characters were less childish, and I appreciated it setting up obvious bullshit like the Yuu<->Touko<-Sayaka love triangle and then resolving it in a friendly and emotionally mature manner, which is practically unprecedented not just in manga but in fiction in general.

And on a technical level, I liked BIY's more expansive and relaxed art more than GF's frenetically packed pages.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
the unique angle of Girlfriends for me is their bonding as friends over sharing feminine beauty stuff that the fashionable one gets the ' nerdy' one into bc of her initial attraction she doesn't realize is attraction and if you like that Useless Princesses does a very similar thing but the gyaru girl hits her teacher in the face.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Useless Princesses moves quicker too which is nice

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

DisDisDis posted:

Furthermore, people with different emotional experiences with art are wrong :twisted:

this!

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

you know what also has a love triangle and deals with a ramifications thereof?

kakeochi girl

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

everythingWasBees posted:

I've been thinking: What's the manga/anime/LN with the most complex... love-geometric shape?

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Where's the love triangle that explicitly turns into a polycule.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

skaianDestiny posted:

https://dynasty-scans.com/series/luminousblue

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

skaianDestiny posted:

https://dynasty-scans.com/series/an_easy_introduction_to_love_triangles_to_pass_the_exam

Also Luminous Blue is good

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Wark Say posted:

I've been thinking: What's the manga/anime/LN with the most complex... love-geometric shape?

Does Bakarina count? Though I suppose any harem-type situation isn't necessarily complex.

Now that I think of Jitsu Wa had a decently intricate web of affections

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

everythingWasBees posted:

kakeochi girl

I mean, one of the things I appreciated about BIY is that it's an amicable love triangle among people who I all like that gets resolved happily, and based on reading the first chapter of kakeochi girl it's...really not that, even if the relationship graph is initially equivalent.

skaianDestiny posted:

Also on board for this

ZiegeDame posted:

Does Bakarina count? Though I suppose any harem-type situation isn't necessarily complex.

I'm assuming a harem is usually like...one central character who has a bunch of paramours, but with no other real relationships going on, which might have a lot of people but isn't really complicated, yeah. There aren't even any cycles in the graph! It needs at least three or four cycles.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Volume 6 of A Kiss and a White Lily is pretty much exactly a love triangle that turns into a polycule. It's only 5 or so chapters long so not as fleshed out as it could be but it's good.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

https://mangadex.org/title/47200/chandelier

E: the law contacted me to say to add this :nws:

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 10, 2020

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Snooze Cruise posted:

https://mangadex.org/title/47200/chandelier

E: the law contacted me to say to add this :nws:

good

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Finished After Hours. Overall, I liked it, but the ending seemed a bit...incongruous? Like, everything up to the end of the After Hours rave was great, but then Kei vanishing to wind down the family business doesn't seem in keeping with what we've seen of her character so far, nor does it seem like a good excuse for keeping them apart when they're just an overnight train ride away from each other.

It felt kind of like the story had a natural conclusion at the end of the rave, but the author had a coda they wanted to add on -- Kei has to step back from both the music scene and her relationship with Emi for a while, Emi has to step up and take over Kei's duties while figuring out how to be a functional adult without leaning on Kei -- but didn't really have a good way of making that happen. And we didn't even get a cute epilogue where they reunite or anything!

In conclusion, great 2.5 volumes with a kind of baffling 0.5 volume at the end? Still liked it overall and would definitely recommend it, though.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

ZiegeDame posted:

I do feel like in the end it's strongly implied that everyone, including the girls, are "in friends" with Bakarina.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
it's not "implied" at all, it's text
Maria gets the most substantial developments out of anyone lol

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Maria probably falls the hardest for Bakarina. Mary is probably the most intense, though.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

ToxicFrog posted:

Finished After Hours. Overall, I liked it, but the ending seemed a bit...incongruous? Like, everything up to the end of the After Hours rave was great, but then Kei vanishing to wind down the family business doesn't seem in keeping with what we've seen of her character so far, nor does it seem like a good excuse for keeping them apart when they're just an overnight train ride away from each other.

It felt kind of like the story had a natural conclusion at the end of the rave, but the author had a coda they wanted to add on -- Kei has to step back from both the music scene and her relationship with Emi for a while, Emi has to step up and take over Kei's duties while figuring out how to be a functional adult without leaning on Kei -- but didn't really have a good way of making that happen. And we didn't even get a cute epilogue where they reunite or anything!

In conclusion, great 2.5 volumes with a kind of baffling 0.5 volume at the end? Still liked it overall and would definitely recommend it, though.

have you read Octave?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

DisDisDis posted:

have you read Octave?

This is the first I've heard of it, so no! This?

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
yeah, been a while since I've read it but I liked it a lot

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Wark Say posted:

Maria probably falls the hardest for Bakarina. Mary is probably the most intense, though.

also now the spinoff manga so far is even more focused on the female cast and introduces new ladies for harem and gives stuff for the maid lol

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
maybe i will watch bakarina.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Bakarina's also kind of weird because the LN had a satisfactory ending and then just kinda kept going. It's not bad or anything, but it could've ended there and been fine. :shrug:

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I just want to see a nice manga about a trans girl dating a dude and not all the gender bender poo poo because it gets really loving weird when the protagonists seem to only get into dudes as some sort of weird biological determinism thing and not a reexamination of their own life or some poo poo.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
read the mangas about trans people then instead...???

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
all good gender bender stuff is wlw

Too bad witch weapon's gameplay loop sucks despite being the greatest story concept of all time and having a cool domme lady

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Snooze Cruise posted:

post them then :greencube:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

DisDisDis posted:

post them then :greencube:

my go to is always double house but does not meet all the preqs established

The cafe one works too tho that is non-binary instead of transgirl... It does have two trans ladies tho

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
very biased selector here but i can think of one good het trans romance off the top of my head and it's bride was a boy (great manga with a culture shock title but it's very 101 educational material)

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Snooze Cruise posted:

all good gender bender stuff is wlw

Too bad witch weapon's gameplay loop sucks despite being the greatest story concept of all time and having a cool domme lady

What didn't you like about it? I played it for like five minutes then dropped it because there were too many characters I didn't understand and just decided I'd hope for a localization, but it seemed alright.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Cuntellectual posted:

What didn't you like about it? I played it for like five minutes then dropped it because there were too many characters I didn't understand and just decided I'd hope for a localization, but it seemed alright.

gameplay is good but the actual loop of it got boring quick, the mechanical stuff had some neat stuff to it. mission design was just lame

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Snooze Cruise posted:

I have but I get owned all the time because every relationship in a trans-themed manga I've read usually gets completely hosed up. I think Wandering Son at least ended with something positive, otherwise it's complete tragedy all the way.

Well, The Bride Was A Boy ended happily but that was more of an informative thing than a romance.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Snooze Cruise posted:

The cafe one works too tho that is non-binary instead of transgirl... It does have two trans ladies tho

You can't just say that in passing and not give a title!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Snooze Cruise posted:

Fukakai na Boku no Subete wo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

ToxicFrog posted:

You can't just say that in passing and not give a title!

Nitrousoxide posted:

Fukakai na Boku no Subete wo?

Yeah this ☝

A.k.a. Love Me For What I Am in English.

Link: https://mangadex.org/title/29840/fukakai-na-boku-no-subete-o

It's about a bunch of AMAB people who work in a "crossdressing café" and their happenings, mostly centered about the main couple (an AMAB enby and a cis guy).

It's great because you have many characters each with their own reason for dressing as girls:

- Two are cis guys, one crossdresses because he likes the cute clothes and the other because his boyfriend likes how he looks in cute clothes;
- Two are trans girls (one of which is the café's owner);
- And one is an Enby who likes cute clothes, but tries to tailor them to their tastes.

It's very good and has very complex interpersonal relationships, you get cute moments like this for instance:

And as an aside: it also has a three-part doujin prequel by the same author called Kimi Dake no Ponytail which centers on one of the side characters and which came out before the story was serialised, but I won't link it here because while it's also cute and heartwarming it's also very much NSFW.