Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

ymgve posted:

One reason Dead Cells feels so good is that it "cheats" - if your jump is off by a few pixels or you press the jump button a few frames too late, they just pretend you jumped perfectly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv5NwboDDhk

Thats how most games work, they... "cheat" (really unfitting term) pixel perfect stuff is mostly completely unenjoyable, especially so going from 2D to 3D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Hollow Knight has good movement...after you get the dash. You should have started with the dash, really.

Also it's not a Metroidvania if you're not mashing dash everywhere.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
After I played Ori and the Will of the Wisps, I picked Hollow Knight back up to get into the Godmaster content and I do have to admit that it felt very slow and ponderous by comparison. Ori lets you just zip around like a hummingbird on crack while Hollow Knight is a lot more measured in its movement. That doesn't it's bad movement, but it does feel very different.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

ymgve posted:

One reason Dead Cells feels so good is that it "cheats" - if your jump is off by a few pixels or you press the jump button a few frames too late, they just pretend you jumped perfectly:

Celeste cheats like hell in your favour as well. Apparently the industry term for a jump still registering a couple of pixels off the edge is "coyote time".

E: Just found the tweet thread I was thinking of

https://twitter.com/MattThorson/status/1238338574220546049?s=19

Party Boat fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 8, 2020

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Yeah this all becomes really apparent if you've ever tooled around with platformer physics in GameMaker or something. A character's hit box need's all sorts of invisible padding or collisions become a real headache.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Party Boat posted:

Celeste cheats like hell in your favour as well. Apparently the industry term for a jump still registering a couple of pixels off the edge is "coyote time".

You could jump after spinning off an edge in Donkey Kong Country.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I can't be upset about clunky movement in Hollow Knight when it's just copying from so many Castlevanias with clunky movement. It makes up for that shortcoming with fantastic atmosphere. I love the movement in Dead Cells and it's fun as hell, but it's hard to keep a somber atmosphere when you're zipping around all over the place. Dead Cells is drab but also irreverant/ironic, I think in part because you can't do that kind of gameplay and be deadpan serious melancholy all the time. HK is also copying heavily from Dark Souls, where you're not exactly zipping and swinging around the map either.

Lakitu7 fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 8, 2020

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Barry Convex posted:

This looks strangely familiar somehow, but I can’t quite put my finger on it. can anyone help out?

https://twitter.com/team17ltd/status/1247871820222660609?s=21
real weird of team 17 to do a remake of my time at portia before even finishing my time in duvos.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Lakitu7 posted:

I can't be upset about clunky movement in Hollow Knight when it's just copying from so many Castlevanias with clunky movement. It makes up for that shortcoming with fantastic atmosphere. I love the movement in Dead Cells and it's fun as hell, but it's hard to keep a somber atmosphere when you're zipping around all over the place. Dead Cells is drab but also irreverant/ironic, I think in part because you can't do that kind of gameplay and be deadpan serious melancholy all the time.

Hollow knight doesn't really copy castlevania movement though. It's very different.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, Blasphemous does that way more than Hollow Knight does.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

"clunky movement in Hollow Knight" is one of the most :psyduck: things I have read in a while.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It's ok to be mad when games copy the bad parts of other games

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I think the movement is hollow knight is fine but the dash didn't feel particularly good to me. Not enough (or any?) momentum. The air control and down slash hopping felt nice though.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

is "Newgrounds Art Style" not a hot enough take anymore or what

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

MMF Freeway posted:

I think the movement is hollow knight is fine but the dash didn't feel particularly good to me. Not enough (or any?) momentum
Any. The dash does not keep moving you forward after you use it, it's basically inertialess. You get fast and then you stop dead.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Fallom posted:

It's ok to be mad when games copy the bad parts of other games

are we talking about hollow night or halo, here

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Finishing up the quests in Memphis and beginning to leave it, but.... drat. Look at these graphics. Sorry about the HUD, didn't remember to turn it off.

riding through the desert on the camel with no name
felt good to be out of the rain~

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

riding through the desert on the camel with no name
felt good to be out of the rain~

The men in black fled across the desert, and the medjay followed.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I enjoyed modding New Vegas but I never played FO3. Will I enjoy 4? How is the modding scene?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Azran posted:

I enjoyed modding New Vegas but I never played FO3. Will I enjoy 4? How is the modding scene?

THe modding scene is great in a lot of ways but the game blows chunks and there's a real lack of good quest mods and no real mods to fix the mess most of the vanilla quests and side stuff is beyond the mechanical level. Also it kinda feels bad to play even with all the balance mods in the world. The engine is just breaking at the seams.

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

I really enjoyed Origins but does the quest UI looks like a placeholder to anyone else? Just a chunk of plain white text, save the main objective which has a weird WordArt gradient applied to it. Always seemed way out of place to me, as petty a thing as it is to have any feelings about at all.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Lightningproof posted:

I really enjoyed Origins but does the quest UI looks like a placeholder to anyone else? Just a chunk of plain white text, save the main objective which has a weird WordArt gradient applied to it. Always seemed way out of place to me, as petty a thing as it is to have any feelings about at all.
Not really? It's clean, unobtrusive and easy to read against nearly any background without taking away any notable amount of visibility. It seemed fine to me.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
It never bothered me but I went back to look at the screencaps and noticed the numbers are slightly misaligned after the > so its now the worst UI.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Origins UI is super slick with the way the XP dissolves into sand and fills up your experience bar.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

SirSamVimes posted:

"clunky movement in Hollow Knight" is one of the most :psyduck: things I have read in a while.

Eh, I bounced off Hollow Knight really hard after a very short time with it and a lot of the reason was the controls felt bad to me. Maybe they get better when you unlock more movement options? Dead Cells was fun right out of the box though, so.

I ended up finding a super cheap copy of E:D on Nuuvem. Never bought anything from there before but it activated on Steam and the internet says they don't do gray market keys so it seemed worth a shot at $7.50/$15 for the Commander edition. We'll see how it goes, if it sucks at least it wasn't expensive!

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
What is the consensus on the Shadows games? Fanatical has a bundle with both Awakening and Heretical Kingdom plus DLC but what I'm reading is giving me the impression at least one of the two isn't finished?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Fifteen of Many posted:

What is the consensus on the Shadows games? Fanatical has a bundle with both Awakening and Heretical Kingdom plus DLC but what I'm reading is giving me the impression at least one of the two isn't finished?
Awakening is a pretty bog-standard ARPG, but I actually had some pretty decent fun with it. The various individual characters you can turn into are fairly well fleshed out and there's some appeal to just flipping between character classes as you please. It's nothing special, but at the price they're asking I'd call that worth it.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

ymgve posted:

Party Boat posted:

This is interesting as hell, apparently I'm a huge fan of games that cheat to make me feel better about myself.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Thanks to whomever recommended Rimworld. It took a few attempts to really click but I'm enjoying the hell out of it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Today I Learned:

- I suck at poker. Cannot wrap my head around it at all. Runespell: Overture seems like a cool game but it requires poker for these battles and nope. You would think learning the patterns would be easy but they are not.
- Two suite spider solitaire is a NIGHTMARE jesus christ how do people play this
- Assassin's Creed Odyssey combat improves about a billion times if you force yourself to use a heavy weapon. You're forced to learn patters and find openings and it's like... miniaturized Monster Hunter combat, and if you hit dodge at the right moment you go into slo-mo and it's really satisfying? I'm focusing on a poison-heavy build with points in assassination/hunting and that makes fights kinda dicey... but fun!
- State of Decay 2's nightmare mode continues to be brutal in ways I did not expect. It's not a fun experience, and when I beat it I'm going back to normal or dread.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
They might have explained it in that video (which I haven't watched yet) but I've heard the term "Coyote Time" before and just figured out it's probably a reference to the Wile E. Coyote cartoons where he'd run off a cliff and "stand" on thin air for several seconds, not falling until he recognized his predicament.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

^^ that's exactly what it's a reference to.

StrixNebulosa posted:

oh sweet christ four suit spider? :stare:

StrixNebulosa posted:

- Two suite spider solitaire is a NIGHTMARE jesus christ how do people play this
wait, have you been playing single suite spider this whole time?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

wait, have you been playing single suite spider this whole time?

I learned how to play spider solitaire yesterday with one suite

today i have entered a new, hellish dimension

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Man, I feel like I kinda got oversold on Ori ( og, not Wisps ).

Like it's good, but it's really not revolutionary. The plot is pretty basic, and I saw all the major hits coming. The platforming requires a precise level I wasn't expecting, and am not really enjoying tbh. The "metroid" aspects are fairly weak, with very few real upgrades and kinda rote exploration outside of a few spots.

It's not bad or anything. Just I remember people comparing this to Hollow Knight and claiming it was better then Hollow Knight, and I'm feeling like we played totally different games. Especially with Will of the Wisps out now, it almost feels like a tech demo.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Is it worth taking my premium quarantine time to play through Gears of War 5's campaign if I remember likely GoW 1-2, at least while it's free-to-play? Haven't kept up with the games at all.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rookersh posted:

Man, I feel like I kinda got oversold on Ori ( og, not Wisps ).

Like it's good, but it's really not revolutionary. The plot is pretty basic, and I saw all the major hits coming. The platforming requires a precise level I wasn't expecting, and am not really enjoying tbh. The "metroid" aspects are fairly weak, with very few real upgrades and kinda rote exploration outside of a few spots.

It's not bad or anything. Just I remember people comparing this to Hollow Knight and claiming it was better then Hollow Knight, and I'm feeling like we played totally different games. Especially with Will of the Wisps out now, it almost feels like a tech demo.

wisps was compared to hollow knight (because it takes very clear beats from hollow knight), the original got praise mostly for being gorgeous and one of the few decent xbone exclusives

still a good game in its own right though

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

A Sometimes Food posted:

THe modding scene is great in a lot of ways but the game blows chunks and there's a real lack of good quest mods and no real mods to fix the mess most of the vanilla quests and side stuff is beyond the mechanical level. Also it kinda feels bad to play even with all the balance mods in the world. The engine is just breaking at the seams.

I sometimes feel like I secretly got sucked into a weird pocket dimension where Bethesda's games don't instantly implode the second you do anything in them. Like they haven't been 100% bug free experiences (and the bugs I have run into are pretty galling) but it's always been specific, concrete quest scripting problems and not the big bad Gamebryo engine making GBS threads the bed because I picked up a plate off a table or w/e.

As for the game itself, IMO you will probably like it if you enjoy the kind of self-directed, loot-centric open world game Bethesda has been making from roughly Oblivion onward. If you want moral quandaries more complex than "do I murder this person or not murder this person" or "do I be racist against robots or not" and need a strong narrative throughline to back up 100+ hours of scavenging through abandoned buildings then you will hate it.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Apr 9, 2020

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Is Wolfenstein Youngblood broken as hell for anyone else? I gave it a shot on Xbox Gamepass and my character constantly continues to walk/run after I stop pressing a key. Sometimes it sends me completely across the room while ignoring any other key presses. It's literally unplayable.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

Ragequit posted:

Is Wolfenstein Youngblood broken as hell for anyone else? I gave it a shot on Xbox Gamepass and my character constantly continues to walk/run after I stop pressing a key. Sometimes it sends me completely across the room while ignoring any other key presses. It's literally unplayable.

Do you have a controller connected to the PC and are the sticks sunk in slightly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Is it worth taking my premium quarantine time to play through Gears of War 5's campaign if I remember likely GoW 1-2, at least while it's free-to-play? Haven't kept up with the games at all.

It's another Gears of War game. I was really not a fan of the shoehorned open world stuff in this one but the levels were all just standard Gears of War that you know and love. If you already have Gamepass and want to play a new GOW, it's probably worth checking out. I played through most of it in co-op with a friend and we had a good time but ran out of steam before the end of the campaign and just stopped playing it.

Edit: Oh wait I misread what you said. I thought you had gamepass. Oh yeah if it's free to play for the week on Steam you can probably get your fill of it in that time.