Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Basebf555 posted:

Yea but without that she might be in bad shape financially. With that sweet sweet Charmed money she can coast for the rest of her life.

Look up how she is currently doing. She has stage four breast cancer and getting hosed over by insurance companies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

outside of just getting the label of "hard to work with" what's the percentage of actresses that just didn't want to continue? The percentage of people that become A-listers can't be that high and so if you don't want to just be a character actress then what's stopping you from just one day going "you know, I've made enough money to be happy, I could do con circuits if I want to, but this isn't fun" and just leaving Hollywood?

this can also be applied to actors too but I get that they don't have the same hills to climb

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Aces High posted:

outside of just getting the label of "hard to work with" what's the percentage of actresses that just didn't want to continue? The percentage of people that become A-listers can't be that high and so if you don't want to just be a character actress then what's stopping you from just one day going "you know, I've made enough money to be happy, I could do con circuits if I want to, but this isn't fun" and just leaving Hollywood?

this can also be applied to actors too but I get that they don't have the same hills to climb

Obviously it's impossible to tell, but we do have definite evidence of actresses getting the "hard to work with" label applied to them because they refused to put up with creeps being creeps (like Ashley Judd and Mira Sorvino, who missed out on roles in Lord of the Rings), as well as actresses like Maggie Gyllenhaal, who've talked about roles drying up when they're arbitrarily declared "too old," while in their mid-30's.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

She left after two seasons though.

It won't be as much money (because episodes you aren't in won't be shown as much) but the 100 episode mark is for the show itself to get syndicated.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
For actresses that left the spotlight intentionally, there was Mara Wilson from A Simple Wish and Matilda, who by her own admission, left acting because it wasn't fun anymore. It helped that her parents were against her acting so helped keep her grounded, and she tried to advise other young actresses to do the same, like apparently she tried to get Lindsey Lohan to be more self-aware.

Then she found a bunch of creepy poo poo on the internet, so took to it herself and started writing articles and guesting in videos (effectively taking control of her personal narrative away from people creeping on Matilda) and things alongside her current career writing stage plays.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

She was also in Miracle on 34th Street and Ms Doubtfire. Kind of a ridiculous resume for her age back then

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

As far as the "Shannon Doherty is difficult" stuff goes, when I take this logic and apply it to a Tom Hardy, Russell Crowe, Alec Baldwin, Joaquin Phoenix, or Shia LeBeouf, hmm, it seems like they are difficult because they are at the forefront of their craft, while Shannon Doherty is just a useless nutter.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
ive never heard the term difficult applied to any of them

except maybe russell crowe but he's a real motherfucker

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Not to discount that there's a sexist element to the label, but guys do get put into movie jail for being difficult to work with, like Val Kilmer and Ed Norton off the top of my head. Somehow Jared Leto still gets work though, so I dunno.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

GrandpaPants posted:

Not to discount that there's a sexist element to the label, but guys do get put into movie jail for being difficult to work with, like Val Kilmer and Ed Norton off the top of my head. Somehow Jared Leto still gets work though, so I dunno.

Tom Hardy climbed the Hollywood ranks as an alcoholic with a crack addiction, and has never been anything less in his career than a fast-tracked up and comer.

Russell Crowe is lucky he's not in jail.

Alec Baldwin is famously and by his own admission a bit of a basket case on set.

Joaquin Phoenix spent years doing some kind of bit where he just acted like a weird rear end in a top hat in public.

Instead of being ostracized for alcoholism and generally being out of control, Shia LaBeouf got to make a movie about it.

Ed Norton lost/gave up the Hulk and outside of that does pretty OK. Like he's known as a mercurial prick but still does whatever he wants.

Val Kilmer definitely fell off after the 90's but is basically one more Kiss Kiss Bang Bang "redemptive" performance away from being the next RDJ.

If any of these guys were women they wouldn't be able to get arrested, especially at some of their ages, which are way past the actress sell-by date.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Val Kilmer definitely fell off after the 90's but is basically one more Kiss Kiss Bang Bang "redemptive" performance away from being the next RDJ.

This is going to be difficult given his recent health problems.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

GrandpaPants posted:

easier being a rapist than saying no to one

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Er... is Norton actually doing that well? The last thing I can remember seeing him in was a bit part in Alita: Battle Angel, where he seemed to have been cast more because he looks like an evil version of James Cameron than anything else.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Speaking of "difficult to work with"

Community with Chevy Chase is on Netflix now.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Er... is Norton actually doing that well? The last thing I can remember seeing him in was a bit part in Alita: Battle Angel, where he seemed to have been cast more because he looks like an evil version of James Cameron than anything else.

he just got to make Motherless Brooklyn last year, he's maybe not headlining blockbusters but he's getting to do what he wants

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

DC Murderverse posted:

he just got to make Motherless Brooklyn last year, he's maybe not headlining blockbusters but he's getting to do what he wants

That was such an amazing movie, and he starred in it, adapted the screenplay, produced, and directed. I don't know many people who saw it, but I dragged my wife to see it in the theater opening weekend, and I just loved everything about it. Good for him, doing passion projects like that.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Doesn't Norton do theater?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Doesn't Norton do theater?

Don't know if he does, but are you just thinking about his role in Birdman?

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Ed Norton lost/gave up the Hulk and outside of that does pretty OK. Like he's known as a mercurial prick but still does whatever he wants.

DC Murderverse posted:

In the late 90s Ed Norton look like he'd be one of the most important actors of his generation. He's a million miles away from that right now. Motherless Brooklyn appears to be his only lead role since 2010 and has barely had a memorable role in anything since The 25th Hour, which is an almost twenty year old movie.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Apr 13, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Pedro De Heredia posted:

In the late 90s Ed Norton look like he'd be one of the most important actors of his generation. He's a million miles away from that right now. Motherless Brooklyn appears to be his only lead role since 2010.

Uh, I mean, if you do American History X and go directly from that into Fight Club you can basically claim to be one of the most important actors of a generation and nobody can really step to you. You don’t need to drop bangers every year for a decade before people respect you. He did what he wanted to do and continues to do that.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

He did what he wanted to do and continues to do that.

He wanted to be a bad guy in the Bourne movie without Matt Damon and have a supporting role in an infamously terrible Will Smith vehicle? That's what Edward Norton "wanted" to do?

You can maybe say that from 2000 to 2010 he took roles he "wanted," i.e. indie or smaller movies that ended up being unremarkable. But he barely does anything anymore. He shows up on Wes Anderson movies to play third-tier roles for a couple of days. That's about it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Pedro De Heredia posted:

He wanted to be a bad guy in the Bourne movie without Matt Damon and have a supporting role in an infamously terrible Will Smith vehicle? That's what Edward Norton "wanted" to do?

You can maybe say that from 2000 to 2010 he took roles he "wanted," i.e. indie or smaller movies that ended up being unremarkable. But he barely does anything anymore. He shows up on Wes Anderson movies to play third-tier roles for a couple of days. That's about it.

Yeah he took small easy roles with gargantuan paychecks attached to them so he can coast and be an effete NY liberal theater bae and never has to work a real job a day in his life. Not every actor wants to be Leonardo DiCaprio and live, eat, and breathe Hollywood forever. Lots of actors would love to be in Norton’s position (rich but not important enough that people follow you everywhere, can basically have any role you want, seminal performances that everyone from your generation loved and respected).

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
Edward Norton had a "quiet but corrosive five-year contractual dispute between [him] and Paramount Pictures’ Motion Picture Group chairman Sherry Lansing" that resulted in him "agreeing to do [The Italian Job] only to avoid being sued by Paramount Pictures, the studio that gave him his start," because he did not want to commit to doing any random movie they wanted him on for a paycheck. I don't buy that, ten years later, he's become a relaxed dude that does any random lovely movie people throw his way. For that matter, I doubt any paycheck he's getting these days is "gargantuan," as he has no real currency anymore.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Apr 13, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
He has a net worth of 80 million, literally anything he does he does for fun at this point. I don’t know why it’s so important to you that I view him as a washed up has been and not one of the most successful actors of the 90’s, but that’s how most people will remember him. One of his movies ends up on everyone’s top 10’s

Edit: vvv
I don’t know where you’re from but Fight Club and AHX are absolutely 2 of the best movies of that decade and absolutely everybody saw them.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Apr 13, 2020

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Lots of actors would love to be in Norton’s position (rich but not important enough that people follow you everywhere, can basically have any role you want, seminal performances that everyone from your generation loved and respected).
I don't watch enough Edward Norton to have a real opinion of him but this feels like a serious overstatement of the man

e: probably shouldn't be discussing irrelevant stuff in this thread

Vegetable fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Apr 13, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Didn't Ed Norton cheat on Salma Hayek?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Rhyno posted:

Ed Norton has been retroactively cancelled.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Why would he do something as stupid as cheating on Salma Hayek?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

JiGgA JaY z cHeAtEd oN bEyOnCe

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Why would he do something as stupid as cheating on Salma Hayek?

Celebrity cheaters have no brains and always cheat down for some reason

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Maybe it's just me, but for me if somebody were rich and famous enough to be in a relationship with Salma Hayek then maybe they'd be rich and famous enough to sleep around with women almost-as-gorgeous-but-not-quite-as-much-as Salma Hayek. It's like having the ability to sleep with anybody is tempting to all but the most faithful partners.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

also why do billionaires want more billions, it's like, you couldn't spend it all in 10 lifetimes!

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

also why do billionaires want more billions, it's like, you couldn't spend it all in 10 lifetimes!

Children, wife(s), family in general, legacy, also that intangible ineffable thing Donald Trump has spent his life trying to buy yet will never acheive... that sort of thing... though I kinda think maybe your query was rhetorical :o:

kaworu fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Apr 14, 2020

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

King Vidiot posted:

Maybe it's just me, but for me if somebody were rich and famous enough to be in a relationship with Salma Hayek then maybe they'd be rich and famous enough to sleep around with women almost-as-gorgeous-but-not-quite-as-much-as Salma Hayek. It's like having the ability to sleep with anybody is tempting to all but the most faithful partners.

some people prefer quantity over quality.

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002
Show me the most beautiful woman in the world and I'll show you a dude who's fed up with her bullshit.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Troy Aikman is an extremely good dude, and a boring announcer.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Anonymous John posted:

Show me the most beautiful woman in the world and I'll show you a dude who's fed up with her bullshit.

King Menelaus: “Just tell me what you want to eat to eat for dinner!”
Helen of Troy: “... I dunnoooooooooooo”

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I feel like we've strayed waaaaaay off topic.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Apr 16, 2020

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

starkebn posted:

Don't know if he does, but are you just thinking about his role in Birdman?
I think that's exactly what happened, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Anonymous John posted:

woody allen appreciates your support. bros before hos