Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

oystertoadfish posted:

last out, first in, I guess, not counting like the Belarusian soccer league. is it just that this league is desperate for money or what? are other things talking about opening back up in late May too in Australia?

I'll watch it too

The NRL is, and has always been, run by complete loving idiots who have absolutely no financial acumen, so is constantly hovering just above bankruptcy. This does not help.

If it provides context, a good number of people in head office have traditionally been ex-players, and we all know how smart NRL players are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

iajanus posted:

The NRL is, and has always been, run by complete loving idiots who have absolutely no financial acumen, so is constantly hovering just above bankruptcy. This does not help.

If it provides context, a good number of people in head office have traditionally been ex-players, and we all know how smart NRL players are.

Don't forget that something like half of the clubs only stay afloat because they have a leagues club sending poker machine profits their way. Which is the exact background the game's current CEO comes from.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Plus any time we have someone competent the media wage war on them, like the way they went at David Smith from day one. The NRL has been held back by possibly the world's worst media of any professional sport.

ili fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 8, 2020

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

ili posted:

Plus any time we have someone competent the media wage war on them, like the way they went at David Smith from day one. The NRL has been held back by possibly the world's worst media of any professional sport.

To be fair, Australia's media makes massive profits on reporting on NRL fuckups so they have an incentive to help them continue

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

May 28 is the start of the new plague

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

LEAGUE OR DIE!!
LEAGUE OR DIE!!

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
So what was the deal with Nine taking aim at the NRL? Did they have a score to settle with Greenberg or is there something else in play?

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

Jono C posted:

So what was the deal with Nine taking aim at the NRL? Did they have a score to settle with Greenberg or is there something else in play?

my feeling is that they don't want to pay the NRL for this year, and probably trying to white ant the current admin to reneg the deal.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Interesting. I would have thought networks would be falling over each other to get their hands on live sports to broadcast right now.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
Nine have just realised how little revenue they get from the NRL now that the millions they spend on it are still in their pockets.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Saul Goode posted:

Nine have just realised how little revenue they get from the NRL now that the millions they spend on it are still in their pockets.

Nice hit piece on ACA at the moment.

loving full of themselves. Ray Hadley is not a credible source.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

MiniSune posted:

Ray Hadley is a loving poo poo oval office.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

MiniSune posted:

So what form of muckraking did this take?

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Jono C posted:

So what form of muckraking did this take?

Repeated the claim that the nrl cost 180 million a year, or half a million a day. Also 9 gave them 50 million upfront to bail out the clubs. The NRL should have more money.

The real subtext is CBS backed Ten may be about to swoop for the rights, because it seems that Nine doesn't want the NRL anymore. Suits me fine. Now 9 has only some dregs of Cricket leftover, once they are gone I wont have to touch the network ever again.

It's not like 10 hasn't had league before *memories*

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
So since I’m American and only watch NRL games after I download them (not getting up at 3am to watch, thanks) I only seem to get Fox coverage since that’s what people record. What’s the story with broadcast rights, anyway? Are there some games shown on both networks simultaneously? And do they use the same video footage with different commentary, or do they each have their own camera crews and directors?

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Fox show all the club matches with their own commentary team, nine show three a week with their own commentary team. As I understand it they share camera feeds but they have their own team picking which shots to use, not sure if poo poo like spider cam is a nine only thing though cos it's been so long since I saw any footy and it's driving me mad.

Fox have a few decent commentators who love and understand the game but also a bunch who whinge constantly. Nine also fill their commentary with cunts who whinge endlessly about everything wrong with the game regardless of facts, and complain about refereeing decisions regardless of facts. The media here in general are reliant on the game for their industry to continue surviving but would also gladly destroy it for a headline.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Most important of all, Fox is home to Wests Tigers hero: :anasta:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Fanatic posted:

Most important of all, Fox is home to Wests Tigers hero: :anasta:

As such I hate fox

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Apollodorus posted:

So since I’m American and only watch NRL games after I download them (not getting up at 3am to watch, thanks) I only seem to get Fox coverage since that’s what people record. What’s the story with broadcast rights, anyway? Are there some games shown on both networks simultaneously? And do they use the same video footage with different commentary, or do they each have their own camera crews and directors?

Ok, the broadcast rights are weird. Per the last contract, 9 and Fox take turns selecting games for each of the 8 slots per week. 9 has the Thursday game, Friday late game, and Sunday afternoon. Fox has the rest (Friday early, 3 Saturday games, and early Sunday). Fox also gets to simulcast the 9 games with their own commentary.

For reference, 9 is free to air tv, Fox is Pay TV. For the 9 games Fox shares their video but supplies their own audio.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

ili posted:

Fox show all the club matches with their own commentary team, nine show three a week with their own commentary team. As I understand it they share camera feeds but they have their own team picking which shots to use, not sure if poo poo like spider cam is a nine only thing though cos it's been so long since I saw any footy and it's driving me mad.

Fox have a few decent commentators who love and understand the game but also a bunch who whinge constantly. Nine also fill their commentary with cunts who whinge endlessly about everything wrong with the game regardless of facts, and complain about refereeing decisions regardless of facts. The media here in general are reliant on the game for their industry to continue surviving but would also gladly destroy it for a headline.

Fox only appear to have a worse commentary team because they have to have enough depth to broadcast every game. They've got one amazing commentator (Voss), a handful of good ones and a lot of garbage. Over at Nine, Warren and Sterling are amazing, Hadley is human garbage and everyone else is decent to mediocre.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Jono C posted:

Fox only appear to have a worse commentary team because they have to have enough depth to broadcast every game. They've got one amazing commentator (Voss), a handful of good ones and a lot of garbage. Over at Nine, Warren and Sterling are amazing, Hadley is human garbage and everyone else is decent to mediocre.

I wouldn't call Warren amazing from the little I hear from him nowadays (origin and finals). He's gotten a lot more rambling and goes off on weird tangents all the time. He's still better than a lot of callers but he's ageing quickly.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

iajanus posted:

I wouldn't call Warren amazing from the little I hear from him nowadays (origin and finals). He's gotten a lot more rambling and goes off on weird tangents all the time. He's still better than a lot of callers but he's ageing quickly.

It doesn't help that he's usually paired with Gould. I exclusively listen to the Fox guys which makes it especially painful to deal with the Nine crew for origin etc.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Smorgasbord posted:

It doesn't help that he's usually paired with Gould. I exclusively listen to the Fox guys which makes it especially painful to deal with the Nine crew for origin etc.

Ditto

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
I'm well on record about my stance on Gould. Hence I watch Fox exclusively until I cannot.

Hadley is the worst PBP commentator by a mile. Whilst Fox may have some average commentators, none are in comparison to the hole of suck that is Hadley.

Also gently caress Hadley for what he did to Voss, and gently caress Nine for allowing it to happen and Nine's generally lovely culture overall. I would not cry if Ten picked this up at all.

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

MiniSune posted:

I'm well on record about my stance on Gould. Hence I watch Fox exclusively until I cannot.

Hadley is the worst PBP commentator by a mile. Whilst Fox may have some average commentators, none are in comparison to the hole of suck that is Hadley.

Also gently caress Hadley for what he did to Voss, and gently caress Nine for allowing it to happen and Nine's generally lovely culture overall. I would not cry if Ten picked this up at all.

maybe ABC could pick up a sunday arvo game , and have Roy and HG calling it.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Abalone Malone posted:

maybe ABC could pick up a sunday arvo game , and have Roy and HG calling it.

Everything that was old is new again.

One match on the ABC, a couple on Ten. It's the 80's again.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

MiniSune posted:

On the upside it got Voss onto a better network since his career was never going anywhere with Warren alive.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

I would expected Rabs to cark it or retire years ago though tbh. Iirc he would have retired by now but he's a heavy punter so doesn't have much money.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Tim Lafai at the Dragons has done... something. It involves the police too, so fairly serious.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/04/12/dragons-statement---tim-lafai/

I'm guessing domestic violence, or something along those lines.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
Roosters: Start the comp from scratch, we weren't ready.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
QLD Premier says "no border exemption for you". So the three QLD sides will have to stay in Sydney* for the duration.

*if it is there

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
It appears the Tigers are looking to sign Quade and SBW.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Oh man that's just what they need, a bromance storyline to revive interest in rugby league and draw in fans from other sports...

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Vagabundo posted:

It appears the Tigers are looking to sign Quade and SBW.

I am choosing to look on the bright side and be optimistic

Totally unrelated, here's a quick status update photo

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Mitch Cronin, Captain of our local QRL team, has passed away unexpectedly overnight

https://www.wynnumseagulls.com.au/mitch-cronin-statement/

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Yeah Rapana is pretty cut by it.

Sounds like they found him in his pool after a training session, he may have had a loss of consciousness.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Greenberg is out, last day on Monday. Channel 9 gets their way.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Yeah it's hosed hey. How many people have the media rolled now? They waged a campaign against David Smith and Peter Beattie, now they've scalped Greenburg while blowing V'Landys every chance they got. I can only think Greenburg expected them to pay fair market value or something similar to get them so riled up.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

To be fair, Beattie was a fuckwit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Wow. All hail V'landys, overlord of league.