Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I did not even know that existed, that's a weird one. now I can definitely see the throughline to trying to make it more of a thing than a one-off show creating a superfriends of old properties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Phantom is still running, it's crazy popular in a lot of countries. In Australia I think it outsells Marvel and DC combined. (partly because it actually is sold in newsagents)

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I'm glad Thundercats is have a resurgence in popularity but when is SilverHawks finally going to get its due? All 50 of us that remember it would love to see it come back one day. :negative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqsgLxuMhLE

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Vanderdeath posted:

I'm glad Thundercats is have a resurgence in popularity but when is SilverHawks finally going to get its due? All 50 of us that remember it would love to see it come back one day. :negative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqsgLxuMhLE

I think in episode 2 or 3 of Thundercats Roar they're actually watching an episode of Silverhawks haha

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah, I get you, but that's a hell of a pitch to take an ancient newspaper comic like the phantom and try to turn it into a saturday morning children's cartoon franchise.

I feel like the success of Dick Tracy brought about that brief attempt to bring those characters into the public eye again. The Shadow and The Phantom both got pretty big budget films, too.

Speaking of kid's television, though, did we talk about 101 Dalmatian Street in here? It landed on Disney+ a month or so ago. I don't think there's enough there to strongly recommend it unless you or a family member are in the main target demographic, but it's cute and fluffy, which is decent for our current hellscape. Also, the theme song is absolutely stuck in my head and when Cruella comes back, the show pulls no punches in explaining how horrific she is.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Apr 9, 2020

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
oh my god I saw the phantom in theaters and forgot that movie even existed, and the only thing I knew phantom from was phantom 2040

boy was I ever disappointed by THAT movie

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Did Phantom 2040 kick start the whole "superheroes in dystopian futures" thing or was it just a product of it? I know there was a whole slew of Marvel comics with the same premise, and Batman Beyond came out of that, too.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I keep meaning to put together a Ulysses 31 revival, shop it around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev1aBt-_Zs4

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The only thing I remember about The Phantom was that the lovely Italian restaurant chain in town was handing out sweet metal skull rings as a tie-in and I eventually had one for each finger like an adolescent goth pimp.

Oh and the (Genesis?) game absolutely slapped.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Schwarzwald posted:

Did Phantom 2040 kick start the whole "superheroes in dystopian futures" thing or was it just a product of it? I know there was a whole slew of Marvel comics with the same premise, and Batman Beyond came out of that, too.

Batman Beyond wasn't really dystopian, just used cyberpunk aesthetics. Spider-Man Unlimited more technically qualified except it's not the future, it's Counter-Earth.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Rewatching Green Eggs and Ham and while the ending is well crafted episode 7 kind of stretches things with regards to how the reveals play out - (ending spoilers) The radio broadcast that Guilt tripped Guy can be explained as purely down to Sam's luck, sure, but he had no idea Guy would actually come back, so for Snerz to receive the update call, which are established to be coming from Sam later on, is a bit too much of a stretch.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

flashy_mcflash posted:

I think in episode 2 or 3 of Thundercats Roar they're actually watching an episode of Silverhawks haha

I think MonStar had a brief cameo in the 2011 series, too.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Medenmath posted:

Yeah, he ended up being either the Big Bad or in a network of Evil Fucks that Mumm-Ra was on a videochat with.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Detective No. 27 posted:

The 2011 Thundercats was so loving boring.

It was amusing that they cancelled it after a season and then immediately greenlit a Lego series about an orange lion man using a special sword to fight crocodile lizard men for ten seasons.

Flip that, actually. LEGO came to them with Chivo? Chiba? Whatever. And Cartoon Network dropped the cartoon about the lion man with no toy tie in for the cartoon about the lion man with the HUGE toy tie in.

I was annoyed cause season 1 ended on a cliffhanger and I was starting to enjoy it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Medenmath posted:

And that just made me think a Space Jam tie-in.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The Phantom newspaper strip comes up a lot in the relevant comics thread because the Phantom is just an unimaginably terrible person and the writers do not get this at all.

Like, there's a long storyline where the Phantom is showing some woman through his family's secret vault of treasure, much of it taken from pirates they killed, and at no point did occur to anybody involved that the Phantom is sitting on a huge trove of stolen property that he really should return.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
That's basically doublepirate treasure

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I watched that there Trolls World Tour! It's not as good as the first but it's still a very fun time and no movie in the world sticks to its aesthetic harder than these Trolls movies. The rock trolls are just so much fun and you could tell that the animators just had a blast with them. The way they move, the way their vehicles move, the animation on Barb herself, her character design etc. They clearly had the most fun with them. Also the McElroys are there, twice!

The only thing about the movie that made me go :confused: was the addition of this weird long legged troll with the side characters. There's all the side characters you remember from the first, the long neck, the fat one, the twins, the glitter one and the tiny deep voiced one. But they also added in this weird long legged one with pig tails that wasn't in the first movie? She isn't even introduced like "here's this character!" she's just part of the crew like she has always been there since the first movie. Was that character a voice contest winner or something? I didn't understand what her deal was

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Macaluso posted:

The only thing about the movie that made me go :confused: was the addition of this weird long legged troll with the side characters. There's all the side characters you remember from the first, the long neck, the fat one, the twins, the glitter one and the tiny deep voiced one. But they also added in this weird long legged one with pig tails that wasn't in the first movie? She isn't even introduced like "here's this character!" she's just part of the crew like she has always been there since the first movie. Was that character a voice contest winner or something? I didn't understand what her deal was

Yeah, I had the same question: who the heck was long legs? Is she from the Netflix tv show?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I watched Trolls World Tour and it's cute and has good music. That's all I wanted and I am pleased :colbert:

Also, I was completely right about what it was going to be about.

Slightly more unexpected is that it's essentially a completely different... story? than Trolls. No, I'm trying to think of how to phrase this. Like, more than not really relating back to the first movie, it's almost like the characters in a parallel world?

To be honest, this freed the story crew up a lot (good) but I was a bit surprised to see they didn't even lampshade that the Bergens aren't there. They're just not! Or any references to troll-eating. Like, a lot of the key components to the first film's theme aren't there or even explained away. It's just a different Trolls. Why is Branch back to his muted colors? gently caress you that's why!

It's not as good as the first one, but bear in mind I am incredibly fond of the first Trolls movie. It is however good and I will watch it a number of times!

Pick fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 10, 2020

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Yeah, I had the same question: who the heck was long legs? Is she from the Netflix tv show?

That was my assumption, it was very very conspicous!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
seeing George Clinton and Ozzy Osbourne in the same movie was also a treat :buddy:

e: favorite design detail on Barb is that her mascara is super clumpy

Pick fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 10, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Rand Brittain posted:

The Phantom newspaper strip comes up a lot in the relevant comics thread because the Phantom is just an unimaginably terrible person and the writers do not get this at all.

Like, there's a long storyline where the Phantom is showing some woman through his family's secret vault of treasure, much of it taken from pirates they killed, and at no point did occur to anybody involved that the Phantom is sitting on a huge trove of stolen property that he really should return.

The funny thing is that the Phantom is still way better than most superheroes, mind; compared to Batman, or maybe a closer comparison of Black Panther, the Phantom actually cooperates with authorities, with the president of Bangalla being basically his Commissioner Gordon, and acts as a peacemaker as much as a vigilante, mediating between tribes and setting up the Jungle Patrol that does search and rescue as well as law enforcement. And at least half the villains are usually predatory Westerners thinking they can take advantage of Africans with impunity. Plus, most of that pirate treasure was probably taken from colonialists anyway, so gently caress 'em.

It's kinda funny given even earlier stuff is surprisingly way less racist than the usual baseline for pulp; though there's quirky tribes and jungle legends and in earlier stories gimmicky weirdos living in hidden palaces, for the most part they're actually treated by both the story and the Phantom as human beings, and Bangalla has actual modern cities and a functioning government.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 11, 2020

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
https://www.theverge.com/2020/4/10/21216864/robin-hood-remake-disney-plus-exclusive-animation-cgi

It was bound to happen, and now it is: Disney is now doing the "CGI remake" thing with Robin Hood. Except that this one is going to be a Disney+ exclusive.

What do you suppose the odds are that this will end up not sucking?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's kinda funny given even earlier stuff is surprisingly way less racist than the usual baseline for pulp; though there's quirky tribes and jungle legends and in earlier stories gimmicky weirdos living in hidden palaces, for the most part they're actually treated by both the story and the Phantom as human beings, and Bangalla has actual modern cities and a functioning government.

I mean, he's still a white dude who's venerated by black people and fights the yellow peril.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Alhazred posted:

I mean, he's still a white dude who's venerated by black people and fights the yellow peril.

This. The Phantom still hasn't completely shaken off the 'White God of the Black People' origins.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Robindaybird posted:

This. The Phantom still hasn't completely shaken off the 'White God of the Black People' origins.

I know next to nothing about The Phantom, but it seems like making The Phantom a black guy would make him a lot less problematic. If they ever try another reboot they should try that.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Cockmaster posted:

https://www.theverge.com/2020/4/10/21216864/robin-hood-remake-disney-plus-exclusive-animation-cgi

It was bound to happen, and now it is: Disney is now doing the "CGI remake" thing with Robin Hood. Except that this one is going to be a Disney+ exclusive.

Well, if they decide to make it look 'photoreal' like the latest Lion King, it will be horrible.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Watched Osmosis Jones for the first time yesterday, because my partner (who'd also never seen it) had an impulse to watch it.

That certainly felt like a movie responsible for the death of a major studio's animation division. What confused me most was trying to figure out who the intended target audience was. Buddy cop movie going on in the animated side, with a corrupt mayor (voiced by Shatner) B-plot. And Bill Murray schlubbing around in the live-action side, embarrassing his daughter and (sort of?) learning about the importance of a healthy lifestyle. Cameos from Kid Rock and Joe C., Laurence Fishburne as the villain, Chris Elliott drifting around in a weird wig. David Hyde Pierce in a lead role. And all of it directed by the Farrelly brothers.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I can see them going more Zootopia since everyone savages the completely photorealistic look of Lion King.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

The_Doctor posted:

I can see them going more Zootopia since everyone savages the completely photorealistic look of Lion King.

Zootopia was also directly influenced by the original Robin Hood, so if you're making a CGI remake it stands to reason they'd follow in that film's successful footsteps.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The_Doctor posted:

That would look good, they should do that.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Darthemed posted:

Watched Osmosis Jones for the first time yesterday, because my partner (who'd also never seen it) had an impulse to watch it.

That certainly felt like a movie responsible for the death of a major studio's animation division. What confused me most was trying to figure out who the intended target audience was. Buddy cop movie going on in the animated side, with a corrupt mayor (voiced by Shatner) B-plot. And Bill Murray schlubbing around in the live-action side, embarrassing his daughter and (sort of?) learning about the importance of a healthy lifestyle. Cameos from Kid Rock and Joe C., Laurence Fishburne as the villain, Chris Elliott drifting around in a weird wig. David Hyde Pierce in a lead role. And all of it directed by the Farrelly brothers.

I never saw the movie, but I enjoyed the TV Show spinoff Ozzie and Drix because it was more consistent in tone and Hector was a much more likeable setting than Frank.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Cockmaster posted:

Maybe the 2020s won’t suck after all :unsmith:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Darthemed posted:

Thrax was cool as hell

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Macaluso posted:

Thrax was cool as hell

:hmmyes:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I know next to nothing about The Phantom, but it seems like making The Phantom a black guy would make him a lot less problematic. If they ever try another reboot they should try that.

But then you're just making a Black Panther rip-off. I honestly think that some IPs can't be salvaged.

Cockmaster posted:

Yes, I'm sure that this time they will succeed in making a good Robin Hood movie.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

The_Doctor posted:

gently caress it just re-use the Nick Wilde assets, bring Jason Bateman back

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Boxman posted:

Oh my god Square has it wrong the first digital actors can’t be human, they have to be cartoon animals, it makes perfect sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Boxman posted:

Nick and Judy's investigation into the Zootopia renaissance festival takes a revolutionary turn...

I'd watch the hell out of it.